Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1561 registered users
The newest registered user is Captsmoak

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Impromptu Games

+16
von Moltke
Miko77
Maximilian (Punky)
risorgimento59
DumpTruck
Calpurnius
Leffe7
gehrig38
Mongo
Taff1943
scauispo
Mr. Digby
Martin
Grog
Charmead
Uncle Billy
20 posters

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Impromptu Games - Page 37 Empty Re: Impromptu Games

Post  Vincent6691 Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:55 pm

I should be available today, with a preference for French side^^.

Still I will have to drop out around 00:00 /00:15 BST which is 1:00 AM in France. When do you usually stop playing ?
Vincent6691
Vincent6691

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:03 pm

I can play tonight. I will play wherever. 'To the Sound of Guns!'
Vince, we usually finish much earlier than the last game. 11pm to 1130 Gmt is likely without too many delays.
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:07 pm

Vince, so translated to French time, we should be all at discord by 20.00.. then updates and decision what are we doing at the night by 20.15... planning of the battle (vs AI is usually less time).. let's say 10-15 minutes.. so we start at 20.30... add average lag that stretches it from 3h to 3h 30 minutes... so there you go we should be done by midnight French time... add post battle banter and you should be still safe... but then add heavier lag, crashes and restarts during the game, waiting for players, sorting some issues before the game, etc... and it can go beyond that.. I'd say if there's a danger of you having to leave it might be worthwhile sometimes to save it 30 minutes to go and complete it at the next session - the issue with this is that we might not get same players next time.
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:39 pm

Try to avoid Gettysburg or DLC maps if you can Miko.

Also in terms of this period a "prinz" is usually nothing to do with royalty. A prince is ruler of a principality which is a petty component state of the HRE.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:00 am

It was a FUN game today. Excellent scenario Miko!

Ok so beating Kevin and making it 2-2 score overall was pretty good, I admit.

But the scenario itself was great and was a fun team with Grog, Vince and Ehey.
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:01 am

It was definitely a fun scenario, made even more interesting by an excellent choice of map although not completely balanced due to the different distances the two sides had to move to reach the exit zone and the presence of a concentrated cavalry force on one side which will always have the ability to pin down a force with weaker cavalry.

Perhaps giving the Austrians a cavalry division as well (or if they have integral cavalry brigades, make these in total significantly stronger), or starting the French further back on the map so that the shortest road distances are then equal? I would be happy to play this again on the French side with those adjustments.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:53 pm

Nice scenario Milo and a hard battle but I have to agree that it was a difficult one for the Austrians to win, whatever the French plan. That takes nothing away from Pat's sound strategy and Leadership.
I would play that again with such changes as Martin suggests but I'm sure we'll have to wait a while to erase it from memory first. Cheers all.
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:02 pm

Pat's sound strategy
Now there is a string of words never seen in print before. Smile
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:07 pm

I think the word "sound" is used in the context of noises rather than of something solid and dependable. Maybe Pat's strategy was to blow raspberries throughout the battle?
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:44 pm

Sound strategy. It was the product not just of me but a conversation as a team. A team that would happily replay this scenario from either side as proposed, knowing that the outcome would again send Prinz “minor victory” Kevin scurrying, tail between his legs.
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:45 pm

Next week then, same time, same channel, swapped sides?
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincent6691 Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:57 pm

Yes very nice scenario. The map is a nightmare, no visibility, rough terrain. Open to swap, but I think people who were in French positions that time will have an advantage with knowledge of defensive terrain on the south east. Then be able to choose more carefully their path.
Vincent6691
Vincent6691

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:22 pm

Be aware that all of us know that map very well. The terrain down there is so well known to all of us.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:47 pm

Digby wrote:Next week then, same time, same channel, swapped sides?

I think we would struggle... French side did not know the position of the eastern division, as for their intel I've drawn the arrow at the northern edge of the map - If you've watched Ehey's stream, the focus of the French was to delay the main Austrian Corps and get to the exit roads, with one interesting option that the last division commanded by Pat would surprisingly attack Austrian Corps rear while it would be busy to break to the east... It would be hard to emulate my lack of knowledge of Kevin's plan. Might be interesting if all 4 from the French team go for Austria but before planning they'd have to choose a player that leads the eastern division.
So the French side would have to think how to beat eastern division to the exit roads - yeah, cavalry could get there first but then the rest of the French Corps would be left without cavalry facing Austrian Corps with 4 cavalry regiments... you can split French Cav by one player taking corps command (with intent of commanding a cavalry division and infantry division) and another one just taking a cav brigade, but that would break what you said was French advantage having all the cavalry under one command.
I know I wouldn't be able to pull as good performance with cav as Ehey did... and that was the key for the French plan to work...
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:30 pm

Last battle aside, I'm working on the new scenario but as previously I don't think it will be ready by tonight...
I called scenario Quatre Corps - because there will be 2 corps per side. The map will be one of the Russian Random Maps - I hope there are no any issues with those?
The setting will be a bit alternative history - Napoleon decides to evacuate earlier so his troops are in better shape and Russians have not yet recovered from Borodino...
The objective will be to get to supply depots... (I think there will be two of them).

Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:37 pm

I got the scenario generator working on my older laptop and have several scenarios in the works, AI and PvP. Might have at least a couple ready by today.

Definitely playing today. Looking forward to it, whatever the scenario
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:58 pm

I can play today at the usual time, 14:00 EST, 19:00 BST.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:43 pm

I have a 2-Corps (5 div) French vs British AI in Quatre Bras map. And a 3v3 player French vs 1809 Austrians on Antietam map.
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:02 pm

And should we ever do that 5-player vs AI then Kevin DEFINITELY needs to be one commander and it would be good for Ehey to be then other one so he can stream his observations and strategy as the Corps work together. Smoothly of course.
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:24 pm

French vs British AI in Quatre Bras map.

Has everyone got QB DLC? If not, then timing is not great as it's currently at full price on Steam (£15)...
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  donkeycods Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:49 pm

I should be there today.

donkeycods

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:46 pm

Unfortunately, I can't make it tonight chaps. Have a good game y'all
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:22 am

Fun game. And Ehey’s streaming gives me a different view of my division while it was engaged. Numerous Cavalry on my right stopped me cold. I made better progress on the left.

Towards the end with maybe 30 mins to go I was feeling extra positive as Kevin and I pushed up a hill thru tall grass to drive back Austrians only to crest the hill and see thousands of Austrians waiting their turn in the hollow beyond to attack us. It was a lonely feeling.

Way off in the distance to the south I could see Digby and Phils units from the other corps. I guessed they were off at the other objective. Little did I know they had already overwhelmed the Austrians down there and were contemplating how to help us. Or perhaps more accurately: whether or not to bother helping us.

This was a difficult scenario for command and control since there were 2 corps separated by 2-3 miles at the beginning and both corps commanders also commanding divisions. Hard enough to raise your head to a corps level in normal circumstances... but this also demanded that Ehey and/or Miko operate even higher at Wing/Army level. Ain’t easy.
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  DumpTruck Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:20 am

Kevin had jokingly suggested not to co-ordinate with the other corps, so I jokingly planned not to. We don't need help from another corps, we'll just take all the objectives!  Not that it would have been possible anyway. I was mildly stunned Miko's message made it through the part of a division that had continued up that road.  Surrounded in the first hour of the scenario.    Vince did really well as the left and Pat was an admirable anvil for the situation.  I flubbed a desperate cavalry charge at the end, my own AI cavalry showed me how it was done, and Vince seized the moment to assault the southern end of town just by the end.  I guess Kevin invented a new AI mode: "Hunt Pat Down."  Is that going to be in the next scenario generator version?

Impressive that our corps could secure our objective despite the majority of the Austrians fighting against us, I think.  I shall take this Like a Star @ heaven from my chest and give it to my division commanders, for they earned it.  But since I was a division commander I get a  Like a Star @ heaven , too.  Which means I have two now.  Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

DumpTruck

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:25 pm

On the other side of the field Mikos corps easily took two of the objectives against light opposition. It took me about an hour to even sight my first Austrian. I wondered what weird scenario Kevin had cooked up; 6 player divisions versus only 2 AI? After we'd enjoyed a long lunch at the middle objective Phil sent me a message saying that we could attack NE into the rear of the enemy that was defending the north objective and my first thought was "Why? Its a different corps. We did our job, can't those people even take one of the objectives?" I think that attitude was possibly more common than we imagine between commanders of different French corps!

Eventually I moved my artillery and two of my brigades up there to assist Phil's cavalry but the day was nearly over by then and I didn't want to gallop about too much in case the exertions after such a fine luncheon gave me indigestion. I issued no orders to my third brigade but for some unknown reason the AI brigadier decided to march off the objective and sit a little north of it in a field. Possibly because his men had looted anything of value and were off home.

It was an excellent game and I like the starting map not showing individual division locations, I think that speeds up pre-battle briefings because C-in-Cs don't (can't) get tied up in details.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next