Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1561 registered users
The newest registered user is Captsmoak

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files

+14
Earl of Uxbridge
gehrig38
Mongo
Grog
Taff1943
Charmead
ushiri
Didz
Martin
CaptainAndrew
scauispo
Uncle Billy
Mr. Digby
Miko77
18 posters

Page 8 of 22 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15 ... 22  Next

Go down

AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files - Page 8 Empty Re: AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files

Post  Mr. Digby Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:11 am

Good game on the Lynchburg / Murcia map yesterday. Thanks for the scenario Kevin. The old 'look behiiiind you' trick is getting a little easy to spot though!

I think that was a resounding Russian victory as we did as ordered (slaughtered lots of Frenchmen) plus we held the city secure, and kept our supply road open.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files - Page 8 Empty Re: AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files

Post  Uncle Billy Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:59 pm

Let's look at the evidence.

The Briefing:
With Murcia under our occupation, the French will find it extremely difficult to cross to the east side of the river. To remedy that situation the enemy has sent a sizable force to reclaim the town. Prince Constantine's 5th Corps has been ordered to attack this force and drive them away from Murcia, making the region safe for all potato eaters.

Intelligence:
Our cavalry patrols have determined that a large French force has moved to the vicinity of the village of Mula.  Enemy cavalry and well sited artillery have prevented our scouts from getting too close, but judging by the intensity of this opposition, it is estimated that the French strength is that of a corps.

Their goal is unknown.  It may be that they intend to invest the Murcia.  It may also be that they intend to cut the town's line of communication which is over Pase Corbero in the south.

This force has not shown any of the obvious signs of preparing to move, so their plans are unknown.  Perhaps they are waiting for reinforcements from their main army, which according to our Cossacks, is some miles to the west.

Objective:
The Prince has decided to take the initiative and eject the enemy before the enemy can carry out its plans.  He has ordered his corps out of Murcia and attack the French troops.

Destroy the French forces to the NW.  The town of Mula is unimportant.  Your goal is the French corps.

The main force of the French army was closer than the Cossacks said.  A division from Ney's corps was hurriedly sent forward to make a demonstration and hopefully slow up the Russian attack.  At the very least, it would force the Russian CinC into a difficult choice.  It succeeded beyond any reasonable hope as we shall see.  
AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files - Page 8 Battle22

Martin and Phil await the inevitable attack from the rear with an entire division.  This makes a Russian victory much more difficult.  Now two divisions are facing a superior defending force on ground of their choosing.
AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files - Page 8 Battle23

Davout sees elements from von Wurrtemberg's division and launches a probing attack.  Meanwhile, Mike's division prepares to support Martin.
AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files - Page 8 Battle24

Taking the bait, like a big stinky bass, Mike joins the fray against the diverting French force.  One hour into the battle, it is lost.  Davout is very comfortable in his position.
AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files - Page 8 Battle25

Two hours into the battle, Ney's division has been defeated, but still the Russians chase after broken forces leaving Davout comfortably sipping wine and eating soft cheeses.
AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files - Page 8 Battle26

The end of a sad day.  Most of the Russian corps finally begins to assemble to attack the real target, but much too late.  Facing four batteries and completely fresh troops, the Russians have virtually no chance of success.
AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files - Page 8 Battle27
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:44 am

It was a good old fun (aka beating Mike in the corner) Basketball
Link to fixed replay file https://www.dropbox.com/s/563ebiz3yy19kyi/NetServ-04022517%20173106%20-%20fixed.zip?dl=0
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:29 am

Thanks for the fixed file Miko.

For me this was a very fun game; much like a mini-campaign with scouting, manovering, withdrawal and some good combat. The Allies just clung onto the second depot and held it at nightfall.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:22 am

On the more serious note - Hats off to the Allies... I was totally confused whole the battle - I was convinced that the other depot must be somewhere in the west as Phil reported meeting some resistance - he failed to inform me that it was only Allied cavalry screening force.
So I thought that force coming from east was actually the same that fired a salvo on me earlier... - wrong... both Allied divisions were on my left??... when we finally pushed Mike's division back I thought that the day was ours... and joyfully conducted what I thought was a "pursue"... more so after Kevin's report of burning the northern Depot... then I smashed into the fresh Iberalc's division Smile)) Lucky me I was able to overwhelm the brigade and the battery that was in the centre... but the same time Mike counterattacked Phil's division and thrown him back... if I only had more time to bring my guard 12pdrs forward.... Smile
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:35 pm

That was an awesome fight!

My concerns with our mission was that we would get to spread out when trying to defend 2 OBJ's that were just out of the reach of 2 DIV's. ( I can see kevin with a ruler measuring the distance between the 2 OBJ's to make sure t was that on purpose. LOL) Then the added stipulation that it could not be held by the enemy uncontended for 15 minutes which would have meant the Depot at that OBJ was destroyed.

Digby went out to recon the NW rd that would give you an avenue of attack from the west and it was not long before he found a DIV.

Pepe had some contact not long after Digby. We had good intel and were in a good position under the circumstances. It looked like you were going to attack both positions and I felt comfortable with that since defending is always easier and we had the high ground. Pepe then reported that 1 BDE had moved to his west in what he thought may have been a flanking move. I soon after saw the Standards of the Fr BDE that was making that move. I am sure they saw that making a flanking move on Pepe's Army at Salmon was a bad idea.

I was getting good intel from Digby as he himself was delaying a whole DIV with his H CAV. Then the shift began from Salmon to the west and what looked to be an all out attack that would make us decide to defend on OBJ and leave a token resistance in the other. I wanted Pepe to leave his weakest BDE in Salmon but somehow that did not happen but that is was and all to realistic as to the problems with messages instead of having radios. LOL

Then as you attacked from the east and we were already to receive you our demise was slow in coming. Digby was full of good news for the first half of the battle then it all went to bad and very bad.

A lot of what ifs for us but in anycase a great fight and good jobs to the Evil Empire of the early 1800's.

Thanks for the replay MIKO. I am going to watch it now.

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:22 pm

This battle was quite different from our normal fare.  The first half was all about cat and mouse maneuvering, while the usual slugging match didn't happen until more than half the game had been played.

The background for this fight was that the British had two depots, located in Salmor and Molini.  The French had made an unexpected move south and would capture and destroy them if found.  The specific locations of the depots were unknown, (delayed objectives), but French agents were working hard to uncover this information.  In the meantime, the French would have to take as many towns as possible, (there are 7 on the map), on the oft chance they would stumble upon the storehouses.

The battle begins with the French preparing to cross the Perosa River.  The French plan was to capture the three towns along the Strada Susa.  It was expected that the British would be encountered at some point, and any strong resistance would likely indicate that a depot was nearby.
AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files - Page 8 Battle28

French and Allied cavalry met very quickly, north of San Marcello.  Quite possibly, the depots were located along the Strada Susa.
AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files - Page 8 Battle29

A brief cavalry fight occurred and the Allied cavalry, commanded by Martin, slowly pulled back.  Their constant presence, just out of reach, slowed the advance of Phil's French division.  This was all very standard rear guard action.  Miko decided to bring his division west to join Phil, as it seemed the British infantry would be found defending along the main road south.  In the meantime, Mike was hurrying the infantry and guns east to protect Molina.  Pepe's Belgians were busy eating chocolate and cheese without a care in the world.
AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files - Page 8 Battle30

Slowly pushing the Allied heavy cavalry south, the French almost had the opportunity to snare them in a two prong attack.  Fortunately for the carabiniers, Martin saw the trap just in time to extricate them.  Meanwhile, Phil is methodically searching the towns he enters.  Pepe's men are still enjoying their chocolates and cheese.
AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files - Page 8 Battle31

Following the British cavalry, they lead the French forces to to the region around Molini, where Mike's has positioned his division on some high ground.  Now the battle can begin.  Pepe begins to move part of his division south to reinforce the Allied right.
AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files - Page 8 Battle32

Phil and Miko attack the Allied extreme left.  This position is wooded so the going will be slow.  The Belgian brigade which was protecting Salmor has run out of chocolate at their depot, so they leave and head to Molini in search of more.
AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files - Page 8 Battle33

The Allies are thrown out of the woods and scamper back to Molini to make a last stand.  In the meantime, my cavalry was ordered to Salmor which I was surprised to find unoccupied.  Except for a lack of chocolate and cheese, this depot was well stocked.  A few torches made quick work of it.
AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files - Page 8 Battle34

Night descends with the French nearly in Molini.  The Allies have managed to just barely hold on to one of their depots.  Another half hour of daylight would have made all the difference.
AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files - Page 8 Battle35
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:25 pm

An excellent game Kevin. I had no idea the French needed to check every town south of the river. Had I known that, from Scarnafigi I would have tried to slip away westwards to distract Phil.

When I saw Miko sending an infantry brigade towards me in the low ground to my NE and a short while later saw his light cavalry brigade moving around my right I realised I was facing the majority if a corps with my 3 (now tired) regiments.

That made things very interesting.

Several times I suggested to Mike that Pepe might attack the weaker force facing him (I was not sure where the rest of Miko's division was and had assumed it was still N of Pepe). A counter attack by both Pepe and Mike against the flank of Mikos advancing and very spread out division might have won us the day. A kind of Salamanca move.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:19 pm

Miko decided that since we didn't know how long it would take for the French agents to positively identify the depot locations, we had no choice but to systematically visit all the towns while waiting. I don't think anyone seriously considered the British were capable of devising a devious plot that would lead us in the wrong direction. Only the French and Russians are cut from such cloth. Suspect
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:30 pm

A French vs Russian battle, so of course it was a bloodbath.  The premise of the battle was, the French having conquered a large fraction of territory, have decided to spread their civilized cuisine to this benighted country.  They have set up a frog breeding center at Zuera in order to populate the Rio Jalon with the amphibians and thereby create a stable source of a favorite delicacy.  Of course the Russians are having none of it and have rushed a corps north to put an end to the treachery.
AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files - Page 8 Battle36

The Russian plan was to have Stroganov's division march north and attack from the west.  Vasil'chikov was to also move north and attack from the SW.  As the march progressed, French chasseurs appeared.  The column had to be halted and Russian cavalry called up to deal with the threat.
AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files - Page 8 Battle37

With the threat dispatched, the Russian advance continued.  However, it took some time to get things moving again and untangle the brigades.  Meanwhile, German allies moved forward into some woods to slow the attack.  In the south, Kniaziewicz, calmly awaits Vasil'chikov's pleasure.
AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files - Page 8 Battle38

The Germans are ejected from the woods fairly quickly so Stroganov's division advances.  In the south Vasil'chikov just as quickly loses his artillery in a duel with the French.  Very un-Russian.
AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files - Page 8 Battle39

The battle in the north was becoming a bloody stalemate. Stroganov judged the French troops were weakened sufficiently so Russian cavalry was forward to break the line.
In the south, a gentlemanly stare-off  develops.
AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files - Page 8 Battle40

With the French line broken, the Russian infantry surge forward into the gap.  In the south, Kniaziewicz and Vasil'chikov ride forward and exchange snuff and pleasantries.  There is no apparent need to initiate hostilities.
AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files - Page 8 Battle41

Stroganov begins the final advance to Zuera.  This forces Kniaziewicz to fall back, reorient and attack to the north.  Meanwhile faux-Russian Vasil'chikov wishes the French well and follows them at a discrete distance.
AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files - Page 8 Battle42

By nightfall, the Russians are just yards away from Zuera but Kniaziewicz with his Guard units gamely fights on and manages to keep the frogs safe and secure.
AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files - Page 8 Battle43
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:02 am

It was a very tough fight but we enjoyed a well-deserved dinner of freshly cooked frogs legs on toast to celebrate the successful establishment of the first frog ponds in this barbaric region.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Tue May 02, 2017 12:52 pm

Just to revive the topic - I wonder if tweaking some commanders' attributes would help with AI being more aggressive and to commit all their forces?
Otherwise, thanks Kevin for a relaxing scenario Smile
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Tue May 02, 2017 1:40 pm

As far as I've been able to determine, the battle plan the AI decides upon is random. It is not influenced by the commander stats. I tested yesterday's battle a few times before we played it. The AI used 4 different plans. The one it chose in the actual game was a 5th. On three occasions, the AI would wait before committing the center division. THat wait varied between 30 min. to 1 hr. This was the first time it chose not to use them at all.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Tue May 02, 2017 2:18 pm

I think an AI force should outnumber a player force by a bigger margin. Its quite usual for the AI to keep a strong reserve while the players tend not to for obvious reasons.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Tue May 02, 2017 7:49 pm

I think an AI force should outnumber a player force by a bigger margin. Its quite usual for the AI to keep a strong reserve while the players tend not to for obvious reasons.

Indeed, I think you'd be the best CinC for this kind of scenario cheers please Kevin, let us know when you apply Martin's wishes Very Happy
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Mon May 15, 2017 3:14 pm

Phil told me that I dodged a bullet yesterday Very Happy
So you've made some changes that makes AI more likely to use all his forces or was it just pure "luck"? Laughing
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon May 15, 2017 3:33 pm

You have your chance today to take that bullet like a man. Twisted Evil
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 18, 2017 3:28 pm

I finally got the replay viewer to work. I was 2 versions behind.....LOL

That was quite a battle we had there. I am sure glad that Kevin held his flags up straight and high other wise he would have gotten my flank coming over the ridge to my west.

Good game.

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Thu May 18, 2017 7:28 pm

You have your chance today to take that bullet like a man.

Thanks for delegating me to the right side - even with terrible mistakes I've made, Mike + Panzer Cossacks saved the day for mother Russia cheers (or Tzar Drumphkin)
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 18, 2017 7:34 pm

! regiment of Cossacks were just BEAST yesterday and they saved the day. I was able to use them in several area to help quell an advance. That let me keep a reserve DIV the whole game.

Fortunately it went our way but it could have been the other if we had not caught some breaks.

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Thu May 25, 2017 3:20 pm

Digby missed Albuera yesterday Laughing
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Thu May 25, 2017 3:56 pm

Ah, you mean some lancers wiped out a British brigade? I'd like to see the replay and hear what happened.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Thu May 25, 2017 5:41 pm

Ah, you mean some lancers wiped out a British brigade? I'd like to see the replay and hear what happened.

to be exact, not lancers and it happened to both sides... however Brunswickers acted much more ungentlemanly than their French counterparts and massacred happily marching lost French Brigade... Carabiniers and Chasseurs were more fair - just charging British line in their backs Smile
I'm sure Kevin will be happy to provide the replay, if not I'll do it later...
and yes... "French" lancers were also present on battlefield... but not Vistula, just Guard Very Happy
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Thu May 25, 2017 9:11 pm

Those lancers were unstoppable. In defense of the Brunswickers, I think the entire story needs to be told. You see, there was this brigade of Frenchies marching past my left flank. The Brunswicker's commander asked them where they were headed. The Frogs responded, "Anywhere we like.", and then made a number of rude hand gestures. His men, of course, found such behavior offensive and were not shy in showing their displeasure. The French have no one to blame but themselves, really.

Here is the replay: Replay
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Thu May 25, 2017 11:52 pm

It looks like Kevin hammered Phil and Miko hammered Mike.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 22 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15 ... 22  Next