Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1561 registered users
The newest registered user is Captsmoak

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Doodles for next few regular Scourge of War MP games

+5
Calpurnius
Leffe7
Mr. Digby
Uncle Billy
Martin
9 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Doodles for next few regular Scourge of War MP games - Page 3 Empty Re: Doodles for next few regular Scourge of War MP games

Post  Grog Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:23 am

Appols I couldn't make the game last night. Should have let you know. Submitted to a night of dull TV and ordering kitchen appliances online. Working next two nights.
Ah well.
Hope the game went well? would be interested in seeing a replay.
Mike
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Doodles for next few regular Scourge of War MP games - Page 3 Empty Re: Doodles for next few regular Scourge of War MP games

Post  Martin Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:57 pm

Yes the game went well Mike, and many thanks to Uncle Billy for running it.  I saved a replay and will post it if I can work out how.  

9 players in the end, and some nice features which I hadn’t previously encountered in a scenario game.  For example the use of independent AI-controlled divisions on both sides.  As it turned-out this helped the Union somewhat more than it did the Rebs.

It was staged on the Salem Church map, and a Union division was pushing N through heavily wooded country with the objective of taking the E-W Plank Road from Fredericksburg.  Two other Union divisions were supposedly taking the town, over to our right.  As Union commander, I was faced with the initial problem that my 4 brigades had become spread-out and I did not know where they were!  For this reason we were not allowed the usual pre-game team-talk.  

Here’s an AAR from the Union side.

Martin (J)

I had an excellent division of 7,500 men but, knowing we were faced by an aggressive Confederate commander, I feared we might be heavily-attacked from the off, and defeated in detail.  I was particularly concerned about our open left flank.  Initial orders were therefore to close-up the division around the White Farm, before resuming our advance northwards.  This mostly went smoothly.  My only vexation at this point was that I had to personally reprimand General Bowman, whom I found dallying with Farmer White’s comely daughter, instead of attending to his duties.

As it happened, the Rebs appeared to initially concentrate their main force of infantry and artillery on the Plank Road, facing S.  This was understandable, as it is a good position on high ground, with a stream running E-W in front of it.  We were pushing our own guns forward towards the heights on the S side of the stream, when I received reports of an enemy attack on our left.  As it turned-out this was in lesser strength than I had feared, being just one Confederate brigade under General Posey, and we were able to defeat it with superior numbers.  The brigades under Generals Revere, Mott and Bowman all performed creditably in this action, as did Dimmick’s battery.

My fourth brigade, under General Carr, was still lost, and I had therefore only one battery of guns to hold the heights S of the stream.  I was concerned that the main enemy force on the Plank Road would advance S in conjunction with Posey’s attack, but thankfully this did not occur.  

After driving off Posey, the brigades of Mott and Bowman were ordered back to our main position on the heights, together with Dimmick’s battery.  Revere covered our left.  Our intention was now to pound the enemy with our superior artillery, before launching an assault on the enemy positions on the opposite heights.  It was at this point I received an intercepted message which indicated an imminent assault on our right flank.  It did occur to me that this might be fake, but overall I was inclined to accept its veracity.  In any case I could not risk ignoring it, and ordered Mott, Bowman and Dimmock’s guns urgently to our right.  I spent a few anxious minutes waiting for the troops to arrive, and expecting to see Rebs appear at any time.  Eventually an officer appeared, whom I recognised as a brigade commander in Whipple’s Union Division, which had originally been ordered to Fredericksburg.  His troops arrived presently, and took station on the heights on our R flank.  Even though I had clearly been humbugged by the Rebs, never was I more glad to see a fellow officer, even though I had never had much time for Whipple.

I reverted to the previous plan.  Dimmock’s battery now joined Burton’s guns firing against the Confederates on the opposite heights.  Burton had been firing with some success against the enemy infantry, but I now switched his fire, together with Dimmock’s against a 4-gun enemy battery.  My intention was to drive off their guns with a sudden burst of fire from our 12, and then switch back to firing against their infantry as our own infantry advanced down into the valley and up onto the enemy positions.  This counter-battery fire seemed strangely ineffective however, and I eventually switched it back again to the enemy infantry.  Carr’s fourth brigade was still missing, so the intention was to launch a general attack N across the stream at 1.30 pm, with our three other brigades.  I was not entirely confident at our prospects, but orders are orders, and my corps commander General Sickles is not a man to take no for an answer!

I was over on our left discussing this operation with General Revere, when I received a message that Carr’s Brigade had now appeared from an entirely unexpected direction, and was even now advancing to attack the enemy from the NE.  This meant they were already N of the stream and astride the Plank Road!   It is always good to see my old West Point friend Carr, but on this occasion delight was tempered by the fear that he might be beat in detail.  I cancelled the 1.30 attack, and instead ordered Mott and Bowman’s Brigades to attack immediately on our right, in his support.  Revere was to move from our left to the centre to support the guns and act as a reserve.  At this point I received another intercepted message, this time from General Posey, who reported that he was still active in our left rear, but had only 2 remaining regiments.  This did give me some confidence that any remaining threat from that quarter was unlikely to be serious.

The attacks by the two brigades of Mott and Bowman went in most gallantly.  I also sent a message for assistance to Whipple, but was rather disappointed at his response.  He engaged only one of his two brigades, and that not very effectively.  Par for the course.  That said, it was one more threat for the Rebs to think about.

I now rode to our right and made direct contact with General Carr for the first time.  I should not have worried, he clearly had his brigade well in hand, and was making good progress driving the Rebs before him.  In fact his arrival from the NE had proved fortuitous, as it meant that we already had troops N of the stream, and the Confederates were under attack from 2 directions.  I now ordered Revere to join the attack on Motts’s left.  All three brigades took the heights after quite a tussle, in the course of which General Bowman was unfortunately killed.  This was a severe blow.  He was an excellent soldier, and a fine man whose only flaw was a predilection for a hot crumpet.

Thankfully the Rebs were now falling back on all fronts, which avoided any further effusion of blood.  I have the honor to report that the Plank Road has been secured, and operations can continue as planned.  All general officers performed most gallantly in the engagement.

Respectfully Yours

Hiram G Berry, Maj Gen US Vols

Last edited by Martin on Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:44 pm; edited 3 times in total

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:26 pm

Have put new doodle up for this coming week's 'evening' game at beginning of this thread.  But here is another link to it

http://doodle.com/wmag4t7if3npnu8p

Please use the doodle to express a preference for any particular day(s).  

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:04 pm

The game went well except for AP Hill and his men taking their pleasure at the local fancy house. Word is that the men had to drag Gen. Hill from the premises as he was completely absorbed in trying on the ladies' shoes. I fully expect Gen. Jackson will be preferring charges over the matter.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:08 am

Have slightly renamed this thread as we are now in a position to extend the schedule further ahead.

(a) This weekend’s game will still be at 19.50 (UK time) on Sunday 1st December - ie today!

http://doodle.com/r9re9zszg23aa6tq#table

(b) This coming week’s 'evening' game is at 19.30 (UK time) on Wednesday

http://doodle.com/wmag4t7if3npnu8p

(c) Next weekend's game is on Sunday at either 15.30 or 19.30 (UK time)

http://doodle.com/qb65a6xg58svv5qg

With McClellan on the Peninsula, Lee decides to send the Father General on a mission for which he is well suited.  He is to take his division north and capture a vital line of communication just over the border into Maryland.  Cutting that line will force the Union to respond, possibly by withdrawing troops from McClellan, thus buying time for the Confederacy.

At the last minute, the Union gets word that a Confederate force is moving north. Unable to detail a unit in time, they send General Georgia to Maryland in a hurry with one elite brigade of Colorado troops. Once there he will find other units, possibly unaware that a Confederate force is barrelling down on them with the force of a springtime thunderstorm.

The Father General and General Georgia are destined to meet in the Maryland Gaps where they will contend mightily for their causes.

We need at least 4 players per side to make it work properly. We can possibly get away with a minimum of 7, with 4 Union, 3 Confederate. Players will need the Antietam maps.

For a splendid poster ands chat about this scenario from Neal see here http://forum.kriegsspiel.org.uk/t883-it-s-ready-register-here-for-devil-in-the-gap-a-hits-and-couriers-scenario

Martin (J).

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:46 pm

You meant to say that today's game is at 19.30 UK time, not 19.50.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:22 pm

Mr. Digby wrote:You meant to say that today's game is at 19.30 UK time, not 19.50.
Err....yes I did Embarassed 

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:26 am

"Yes the game went well Mike, and many thanks to Uncle Billy for running it. I saved a replay and will post it if I can work out how"......Martin J

Thanks Martin, sounds like it was a good game. Really nice AAR.

Mike
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:35 pm

You're welcome Mike. Haven't found a way to post the replay here yet. If all else fails I'll email it to you later.

Only wish it was in the new super-duper Garnier format Very Happy 

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:21 pm

Martin wrote:You're welcome Mike.  Haven't found a way to post the replay here yet.  If all else fails I'll email it to you later.

Only wish it was in the new super-duper Garnier format Very Happy 

Martin
Feel free to email it to me, Martin. I can host large files on my Mediafire site and open it to all. No pressure, though. Just thought others might like a look too.

Mike
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:48 pm

If we assemble 6 for this week's game, I have a fairly straightforward scenario on the Prairie Grove map. Prairie Grove Download
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:22 pm

On it's way Mike. If anyone else would like it, let me know.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:39 pm

Have updated doodles at the beginning of the thread. This includes a new doodle for a further evening game in the week-after-next, on either Wed 11th, Thurs 12th or Friday 13th December.

http://doodle.com/nwzvh4my8vmkuau2

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:27 am

Martin wrote:On it's way Mike.  If anyone else would like it, let me know.

Martin (J)
Thanks Martin

Here's the replay for download:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/i81u2sxo4ve7x8a/Replay%20from%20Friday%2029th%20Nov.zip

I presume the Rebs in the town were AI controlled?

I saw another Reb brigade marching to the town then turn back. I presume by that time all stocks of ladies shoes and gingham had been looted:D 
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:29 pm

I might be a bit late for tomorrows game. I have settle the kids but will try to get there on time. I usually manage it by 8pm.
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:42 pm

A little whiskey settles them right down. Just don't tell the wife.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:09 pm

Perhaps we should aim to start a little later to saving hanging around?  How about collect on T/S from 19.45 (UK time) and start as soon as Mike appears?

With him we have 6 players, all experienced.   We have been playing ACW for the last few games, so what do folks feel about trying a 3 vs 3 Nappy game using Kevin's new wizzo version of his NSNappy Mod?

I'll email this to everyone who has signed-up for the game, just in case.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:36 pm

We had a good Napoleonic game today.

Neal tells me we could still do with 2 or 3 more players for Sunday's ACW scenario game.  Please complete the doodle if you are planning to play, and choose your preference for time.

http://doodle.com/qb65a6xg58svv5qg

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:38 pm

Have updated the doodles at the thread of this thread https://kriegsspiel.forumotion.net/t935-doodles-for-next-few-regular-scourge-of-war-mp-games#8320

Have also added further ones for games further ahead.

It will be difficult to keep to our regular pattern over Xmas and New Year.  I don’t think that means we should have no games – some folks could even find it easier to play - and at different times - as they will have some time off work.  I will put-up a mega doodle soon, covering a 2 week period to see what days & times are most popular.  

It has been necessary to postpone the planned 1862 ACW scenario for this weekend, but we have players and a game will still take place, on Sunday at 19.30 (UK time).

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:26 pm

Have updated the doodles at the head of this thread https://kriegsspiel.forumotion.net/t935-doodles-for-next-few-regular-scourge-of-war-mp-games#8320

Have added a mega doodle to cover the 2 weeks over Xmas and New Year.  It will obviously not be possible to maintain the usual pattern, but I am hopeful that we may even get more games.

Next game is tomorrow (Sunday) at 19.30 UK time.

This coming week's game will be on Thursday 12th December, also at 19.30.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:09 am

So far we have 5 confirmed payers for today's game. Has anyone any thoughts on what type of game, and period, we should play?

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:22 pm

I am happy with either ACW or Nappy. Are Grog and Steve unavailable today?
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:57 pm

Uncle Billy wrote:I am happy with either ACW or Nappy.  Are Grog and Steve unavailable today?
Yes me too.

Haven't heard from either Steve.  We now have 2 btw, but I think the non-kgsspoom Steve has had some technical issues with his PC.

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:22 pm

Can't play tonight fellas, sry. Have a good'un.
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:44 am

Two 35,000 man armies Napoleonic squared-up last night.  We were in a tough fight against a better quality AI French force, which launched a succession of heavy attacks.

The Napoleonic AI has really come on recently.  Uncle Billy and myself watched in some awe as the enemy took apart a strong position in our centre, using medium cavalry to break some of our battalions, and immediately following-up with masses of infantry.  Only desperate counter-attacks by Prussian lancers stabilised the position.

Meanwhile further to the right, brave Hays sacrificed his division to defend a hill against high odds.  

These attacks weakened the French however, and we commenced our own attacks on the left.  These in turn were brought to a halt as more French cavalry arrived.

Quite exhausted after all that.............

Next game is this coming Thursday at 19.50 (UK time).  

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next