Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Doodles for next few regular Scourge of War MP games

+5
Calpurnius
Leffe7
Mr. Digby
Uncle Billy
Martin
9 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Doodles for next few regular Scourge of War MP games Empty Doodles for next few regular Scourge of War MP games

Post  Martin Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:51 pm

UPDATED 14th January

Here is a doodle to cover the next few days - basically Thursday to Sunday.

http://doodle.com/ftfthfchxyh887sg

This is hopefully the last time, we will adopt this method.  Over the coming weekend we will review the POLL responses and agree some regular dates and times for future games.

Game length varies a bit, but is normally about 2.5 hours from start to finish.

If this is your first MP game with us (or the first for a long time), we will probably run an ACW game, as these tend to be slower-paced, and are also perhaps more forgiving.  The only mod you will need to play this version of the game is Couriers & Maps 1.610.  This can be downloaded here, where you will also find general information on how to set-up the game, plus recommended settings in the game Options screens https://kriegsspiel.forumotion.net/t370-set-up-for-sow-games-for-kriegspiel-style

Martin (J)

Last edited by Martin on Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:00 pm; edited 19 times in total

Martin

Back to top Go down

Doodles for next few regular Scourge of War MP games Empty Re: Doodles for next few regular Scourge of War MP games

Post  Uncle Billy Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:01 pm

Martin wrote:No-one has expressed a strong preference for day or time, so I would like to suggest we go for 15.30 (UK time) on Saturday. If anyone has a problem with this, can they speak up quickly please?
Sounds good to me. I'll have my 2nd cup of coffee with the booming of the cannons jiggling the china. You are bringing the crumpets, aren't you? Whatever those are.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Doodles for next few regular Scourge of War MP games Empty Re: Doodles for next few regular Scourge of War MP games

Post  Mr. Digby Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:23 pm

Crumpet is girls. Some of those may cause a few vital orders to be delayed.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:32 pm

Anyone fancy coming up with a scenario for Saturday?

The one I did for yesterday's game wasn't used because not everyone had the Red River mod. But I'd rather not use it this weekend as it is designed for coop vs the AI, and it looks as if we have enough for 2 human teams, even if no-one else signs-up.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:25 pm

It looks like 3v3 or hopefully 4v4 with latecomers or shy folk showing up. Are we playing ACW? I can put together a small division sized scenario provided Martin or Hays is my fearless leader. Any thoughts on a map?
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:02 pm

I was originally assuming we would play ACW at the weekend, as I was hoping we might attract some new players, and I think barriers to entry are lower in this period.  The Napoleonic game is in many ways more complex, and probably also less forgiving, with dangerous cavalry around.

It now looks as if the two new players I'm working on won't be ready for Saturday, so that argument rather falls away.  If folks would rather play Napoleonic instead, that's fine by me too.

If any of those who are planning to play have strong feelings either way, can you voice them please?

Either way, I certainly think we should take Uncle Billy up on his kind offer.  I am even willing to command a side if necessary Mad (this is supposedly a 'mad' emoticon btw)

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:55 pm

Martin wrote:It now looks as if the two new players I'm working on won't be ready for Saturday
As I tell my wife, "work harder, work faster!"

If everyone has the Chancellorsville expansion, I'll cook up an ACW battle on the Salem Church map.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Leffe7 Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:27 am

I don't know yet if I can play this weekend.
But I would also like to play on some under-represented NSD maps (like Chancellorsville or Pipe Creek). They may not be used for Sandbox but scenarios should work well. The Red River Mod maps would also be nice.
Leffe7
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:15 pm

I've always liked the Salem Church map, especially the open, east side of it around Fredericksburg.

I have always thought that the redoubts om Marye's Heights on that map would make a great setting for a Napoleonic game, maybe something inspired by Borodino. If Kevin gets Gunships Russian sprites packed/converted I think we could have an awesome game there.

I'll do my best to make Saturday though I'd prefer not to command.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:22 pm

Not too long ago I had a spectacular SP Nappy battle on the Salem Church map. The french AI attacked in three distinct waves using its skirmishers to great effect. The Austrian AI used its cavalry at just the right moment or else we'd have been swept from the field. A french countercharge from its cavalry forced the Austrian cavalry back in turn. It was some of the best AI play in a Nappy game that I've seen.

The other Martin will be the Union commander Saturday. Lots of luck with that. Twisted Evil  Niall with usual feigned modesty wishes not to command. We may need to use one of Digby's crumpets to lure him from his tent. Or it might be time for the Father General to assume the reigns of the Rebel forces.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Calpurnius Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:30 pm

ARE YOU GUYS PLAYING? Me and Grog in Teamspeake
Calpurnius
Calpurnius

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:40 pm

Calpurnius wrote:ARE YOU GUYS PLAYING? Me and Grog in Teamspeake
Sorry guys.  Game was at 15.30.  We were wondering where you were in fact.  

There is clearly a downside to having variable times for games, and perhaps we should consider moving to fixed times on fixed days, to avoid confusion Smile 

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:00 pm

If we keep to a 19:30 UK time regardless of the day of the week or weekend that may help.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:12 pm

Yes I can see the advantages.  I suspect that it's not a problem for weekday evenings (UK time).  But at the weekend lots of folks go out for the evening, so I am worried it would hit numbers.  I would struggle to make most games on weekend evenings, and someone else has recently made similar comments to me.

It's a bit difficult to know what the consensus is at the moment, as we are still rebuilding player numbers after a long gap.  I was originally thinking let's have 2 or 3 weeks of games with a choice of day and time, to see what was most popular.  But as we've seen there are problems with that approach too.......

Hopefully others will make their views known.  Yesterday's mid afternoon slot was good for me, but is it good for others - on both sides of the Atlantic?

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:17 pm

We have now successfully run our first 2 regular games.  Both of them went really well, and were a particular pleasure for me, as I was one of those who hadn’t played MP for months.  The plan is to continue with one evening game each week (UK time), and another each weekend.  The next weekday game will take place in the latter half of this week.  

The aim is (probably) to settle on a regular day and time for each game, to minimise the possibility of confusion.  At this early stage though, it’s a bit difficult to decide what days and times those should be!  So at the moment we are still using doodle to try and discover the optimum schedule.

(a) This coming week’s game is at 19.30 (UK time) on either Wednesday, Thursday or Friday http://doodle.com/73wazp6hcbxdahdq

Please use the doodle to express a preference for any particular day(s).  

(b) Next weekend’s game will be either at 15.30 or 19.50 (UK time) on Saturday or Sunday http://doodle.com/r9re9zszg23aa6tq#table

Again please use the doodle to express your preference.

For both games we will either play coop vs the AI, or as two teams, depending on numbers.  With smaller numbers we are likely to play ACW and with two teams probably Napoleonic.  However we are still very keen to include new players (and entice rusty ones back), so in that event we will normally start them with the ACW version to ease them into the saddle.

All games will use HITS and couriers.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:01 pm

I don't have a problem with morning start times on weekends. I just make a little extra coffee to dip my crumpet in during the battle. If it's too hot, she lets out a howl. Very Happy 
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:23 pm

Uncle Billy wrote:I don't have a problem with morning start times on weekends.  I just make a little extra coffee to dip my crumpet in during the battle.  If it's too hot, she lets out a howl. Very Happy 
That's the trouble with introducing Billy to English culture!  I blame Diggers.

But your flexibility is appreciated.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:46 pm

Saturday mornings are pretty difficult for me. However, Sunday mornings are perfect. Remember, I'm on Pacific time, so it's afternoon for those of you across the pond.

I'd enjoy regular Sunday am games. The FG prefers to fight on the Sabbath day anyway. That's why he argues with Jackson, who prefers to keep it as a day of rest.

-Neal
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:51 pm

Martin wrote:That's the trouble with introducing Billy to English culture!  I blame Diggers.
In England faggots are large meatballs in a thick gravy.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4036/4337380370_e76cb5e2f5_b.jpg

There's the ball Martin, you run with it.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:40 pm

Digby wrote:In England faggots are large meatballs in a thick gravy.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4036/4337380370_e76cb5e2f5_b.jpg
You Brits are a strange bunch. scratch 
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:29 pm

Just imagine what poor old Stefan makes of this?

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Leffe7 Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:39 am

Never heard of Faggots, sounds rather disgusting. It looks like meatballs however, and I like them very much when done myself. Worst meatballs are to be found in Ikea stores. My wife and me call those "kackböller".
Leffe7
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:55 pm

Leffe7 wrote:Never heard of Faggots, sounds rather disgusting. It looks like meatballs however, and I like them very much when done myself. Worst meatballs are to be found in Ikea stores. My wife and me call those "kackböller".
That's why we conquered the empire, Stefan.  To get away from the food back home.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:17 pm

Have updated the first post in the thread for the latest doodles, and will try and keep that post up to date at least until we settle on regular days and time(s).

Looks like we will have a good turn-out for the weekday game (with Friday currently looking favourite), but are looking a bit short on numbers for this coming weekend's game. The reverse of expectations Shocked 

Vote early vote often.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:47 pm

Leffe7 wrote:Worst meatballs are to be found in Ikea stores. My wife and me call those "kackböller".
There's no accounting for taste. I love them!
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next