Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Regular Monday SOW HITS games

+8
Leffe7
MJP
kg little mac
Uncle Billy
Mr. Digby
Grog
SolInvictus202
Martin
12 posters

Page 1 of 18 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next

Go down

Regular Monday SOW HITS games Empty Regular Monday SOW HITS games

Post  Martin Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:11 pm

A few of us are planning to start a new regular game session on Monday evenings at 7.30 pm (UK time). These are intended as fun games which we’ll use to try out a variety of periods, new approaches, and test out ideas.  The games will be very much at the non-competitive end of things, so hopefully will be a good way in for new players too.  Given it’s a weekday, we expect small numbers, so games will probably often be coop vs the AI.

Here are some of the things we are going to try:

- The Lace Wars (using Blenheim & Fontenoy mods)
- Napoleonic
- ACW
- 1860’s European Wars (using KS Reisswitz Mod)
- Plains Indian Wars (using Little Bighorn Mod)

We appreciate that the timing is not ideal for everyone, but all are welcome.  

I am including a doodle (below).  The intention here is not to commit you to a specific game, but to get an idea of how many could at least make some of the games.  That will help us in deciding what scenarios to create.  

http://doodle.com/geyzzczmzt6xenc9

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Regular Monday SOW HITS games Empty Re: Regular Monday SOW HITS games

Post  SolInvictus202 Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:28 pm

if I may be so bold to post here:

I am available around this time on Mondays - and that is unlikely to change in the future - thus I have answered with "yes" in doodle - but I would like to wait for this weekend to sort of make sure that I can setup these mods properly before jumping in and saying "yeah - I'll install 5 more as well Smile "

however the prospect of fighting in the 1860s in Europe, maybe fighting as Austrian in the 1864 Prussian-Danish war - or even avoid the great disaster of 1866 (on land anyway - at sea we did win Razz) sounds very promising!

hell, I am open for pretty much anything when it comes to time and age of military history lol!
SolInvictus202
SolInvictus202

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:51 pm

You'll be very welcome when you do make it, Roland.  

The 1860s mod features traditional Red and Blue German-type  kriegsspiel armies, as used in the Prussian training game.  The original game was used from the 1820s onwards, so could represent any period in the 19th C.  

As it happens I have set the KS Reisswitz Mod in the 1860s, so the nearest war is indeed the 1866 Austro-Prussian War.  I have consciously not tried to replicate that war though, but simply reflect battle in a period of rapid technological change.  I wanted to get away from both Napoleonics and ACW, and also to show that there were different views on how to adjust tactics given that firearms were increasing in range and accuracy.

We have 5 so far, so that's not a bad start.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:43 pm

Got my support but this coming monday I will be working

Mike
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:02 pm

That is a good time for me most Mondays. Will be good to do some more HITS during the week.

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:00 pm

Today’s game will start at 19.30 (7.30 pm) UK time.  Please try and go into T/S shortly before.  

It will feature the 1876 campaign against the Sioux and their Northern Cheyenne allies.  The 7th Cavalry will ride again under their flamboyant commander George Armstrong Custer.  The sprite ratio is 1:1 for this game, and the 7th looks quite impressive at this scale.

To play you will need the Pipe Creek add-on, the appropriate version of CouriersAndMaps, plus the Little Bighorn Mod.  Please try and download and install the latter before the game.  You can get the latest version here https://www.dropbox.com/s/pw6u2kfg5vsum8y/Little%20Bighorn%20Campaign%20v%201_24.zip?dl=0

We will be facing a force of unknown strength (even to me), and equally uncertain attitude.  

Kevin has considerable experience with the mod now, so I would ask him to take the role of Custer on this occasion.  Plus his scalp would look mighty fine on a lodge-pole.  There will be battalion-level roles for the other players  (Reno, Benteen etc).  These act much as brigades in the stock game, being composed of a number of cavalry companies, together with some less regular formations (eg scouts).  I will probably take command of the essential but problematic pack train.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  SolInvictus202 Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:28 pm

"CouriersandMaps" ? - is that included in the download you provided me last night via email or is that a special one?

thx
SolInvictus202
SolInvictus202

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:49 pm

It's the one we use when we play ACW.  You can get it here https://kriegsspiel.forumotion.net/t370-set-up-for-sow-acw-games-for-kriegspiel-style

There are two versions depending on your maximum vertical screen resolution.  You will find links to both versions there.

The 2 Mods should be listed in the following order in your Modifications screen:

* CouriersAndMaps
* Little Bighorn

That's all you need to play, and any other mods should be disabled.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:44 pm

If you want to try the Little Bighorn mod in SP, you can.  There are brief suggestions on how best to do this in the word doc in the main mod folder.

The OOB to select is OOB_SB_Kriegsspiel_Custer_master_OOB (the others are purely for testing).  From this OOB you can choose to play as Custer, Terry or Crook, who each have very different commands in terms of both size and composition.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  SolInvictus202 Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:45 pm

already tried that a little bit last night - very different to what I've played so far - but it should be great fun Very Happy
SolInvictus202
SolInvictus202

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:47 pm

Go to this link Roland and you will see the Couriers and Maps Mod Download.

https://kriegsspiel.forumotion.net/t370-set-up-for-sow-acw-games-for-kriegspiel-style

Back to top Go down

Post  SolInvictus202 Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:00 pm

thanks a lot for all quick replies guys - I am simply stunned at how helpful this community is!
SolInvictus202
SolInvictus202

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:06 pm

The bill is in the mail. LOL I do think that Martin Charges more then I do. bounce

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:07 pm

But probably less than Kevin What a Face .

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  SolInvictus202 Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:07 pm

I am willing to pay of course: my brigades, divisions even my armies have plenty of lead to spread around and are more than willing to show you how to receive those bullets, cannonballs and shells properly too! bounce
SolInvictus202
SolInvictus202

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:19 pm

SMART ASS bounce affraid lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:26 pm

Regular Monday SOW HITS games StopMeAndBuyOne
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  SolInvictus202 Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:41 pm

I see new equipment has been issued to the last remaining armoured regiment in the British Army - I am sure the lads from the 1st Royal Tank Rgt will be pleased cheers
SolInvictus202
SolInvictus202

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:07 pm

Just occurred to me. For those who n have played this mod before (eg Kevin & Sean), it's probably safest to download the latest version, just in in case of any incompatibilities.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  SolInvictus202 Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:20 pm

I just installed CouriersAndMaps with increased priority over LittleBigHorn...

a few problems come up: the game crashes when I try a sandbox scenario in SP - if I try to open a lobby in MP it tells me "there are more than one instance for drills.csv - please disable extra mods"

any ideas? - little big horn alone ran just fine... should I load CaM after LBH?
SolInvictus202
SolInvictus202

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:40 pm

Hi Roland

The clash is with 4 logistics files in CouriersAndMaps. You need to disable those, at least temporarily.

This is because the game does not allow multiple installations of certain files. The particular files should be listed in the window to the right on the Modifications screen, when you click on the Little Bighorn Mod. They are also listed in the word document in the main mod folder.

Disabling them is easy. Just rename the files by say putting an 'x' at the beginning or end of the file name. That way you can easily reverse things if you wish to play ACW.

Incidentally you only need to do this if you are hosting a game (but of course that is what you do in SP). There is no need to change file names for anyone participating in todays game, as I will be hosting it.

Hope that all solves it, but let me know if not.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:40 pm

Search and Destroy

Background

It is 15.30 hours on 16th October 1866.  After a long period of peace in Europe, war broke out between Blue and Red in the spring.  Since their skilful relief of Barsch, and a tough drawn battle a few days ago on the Camino Zaragossa, Blue have advanced further into Red territory.

Regular Monday SOW HITS games Blue_b11

Special report for Blue - Landgraf Heinrich

Things are generally going well with our campaign against the evil Red.  However in Gastenau province,  control is disputed by a Red force under General Kopacki.  This province is still relatively untouched by the war, and both Blue and Red are seeking to levy supplies and financial contributions from the settlements in the area.

It has been decided to deal with Kopacki once and for all.  3 mobile columns have therefore been prepared, drawn from a number of commands, but all reporting to you.  The intention is for them to converge  to eliminate the Red force.

You are in enemy territory and reliable intelligence is lacking.  Kopacki's HQ is variously reported at Randau, Reifland, Tapiau and Lapiau.  He is believed to have the Koenigin and Kannitz infantry regiments (6 or 7 battalions) and several squadrons of dragoons.  There is also an unconfirmed report that he has recently been reinforced by jaegers and hussars.  

Your job is to defeat and disperse Kopacki's force, and also to prevent any significant element escaping to the NE or E.

To play this game you will need the new KS Reisswitz Mod, featuring 'German-type' armies of the 1860s.  I will put up a link to the latest version in the next few days.  The scenario has been designed for coop play vs the AI.  

If you would like to play please complete the doodle http://doodle.com/6gnpbsuvt92sg9hf

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  SolInvictus202 Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:55 pm

now that sounds like an interesting scenario for sure!

are you going to put up a list of the main mod features? - or is there already a thread on this forum to this mod?

mainly thinking about range of small arms - artillery etc...
SolInvictus202
SolInvictus202

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:44 pm

I've only played one game using Martin's Reiswitz Mod and I noted that cavalry was almost useless when charging enemy infantry. Infantry small arms ranges are LONG. Artillery didn't seem too powerful and still needs to be supported by infantry.

Martin - beware using the 10 mile map. Kevin created a scenario on it recently and it crashed and crashed and crashed. We never found out why and had to give up. I suspect the 10 mile map is loading SoW to near it's limits. I am avoiding it for Peninsular campaign battles Sad
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  SolInvictus202 Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:54 pm

sounds pretty good to me then... the time for cavalry was pretty much over in Europe by 1866 - just look at the slaughter in 1870...
I suppose the artillery hasn't been issued the new shells yet (I am sure the Prussians had them in 1870) - don't know the exact English term for it - something like "percussion shell" - meaning explode on impact - and not have the issues of trimming the fuses anymore...

there should be a significant difference in range between the Prussian Zündnadelgewehr and the Austrian System Lorenz... the first has a rate of fire about 3 times higher - but the second one shoots a lot further as well as it is more accurate...

looking forward to the fight anyway - the battleplan seems pretty obvious to me in ths one - a classical hammer and anvil situation!
SolInvictus202
SolInvictus202

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 18 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next