Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» SOW Scenario Generator
by glennthom Sat Jul 20, 2024 11:36 pm

» SOWWL Artillery batteries
by Uncle Billy Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:15 pm

» Set Up for SOWWL NAPOLEON GAMES For Kriegspiel style
by Uncle Billy Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:35 pm

» The New SOWWL Is Now Available On Steam
by Grog Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:14 pm

» Grog can't make it
by Grog Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:39 pm

» Boxed KS set Wallington NT near Morpeth
by Martin Sat Jun 08, 2024 3:50 pm

» Help Request-Artillery Behavior
by Dutch101 Mon May 27, 2024 4:08 pm

» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

Statistics
We have 1577 registered users
The newest registered user is errik100

Our users have posted a total of 30522 messages in 2300 subjects

I forgot my password

General Price Goes Home. A Gettysburg scenario game

+9
Blaugrana
Baldwin1
Uncle Billy
J.B. Hood
WJPalmer
FlashmanKBE
kg_sspoom
Father General
Martin
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

General Price Goes Home.  A Gettysburg scenario game Empty General Price Goes Home. A Gettysburg scenario game

Post  Martin Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:42 pm

This hypothetical game is set in the Trans Mississippi in October 1862, and follows the further adventures of Sterling 'Pap' Price, erstwhile populist Missouri politician, who featured in an excellent series of scenario games run for us by Stefan, earlier this year.

Background

General Price Goes Home.  A Gettysburg scenario game Arkans11

In the spring of 1862, Generals Van Dorn and Price led the Confederate troops in Arkansas to the east of the Mississippi, as reinforcements, after the Confederate retreat from Shiloh. Left for the defence of Arkansas were only a few militia, together with a mixed force of Confederate Indian and Texas cavalry under General Roane, based at Fort Gibson and Fort Smith.

Union forces under the ardent Kansas abolitionist, General Blunt, have been successful in minor engagements against these troops during the summer. In recent weeks Blunt's division has occupied a rich agricultural region in NW Arkansas, with his base on the commanding Kennard Plateau. His troops have assisted in bringing in the harvest, taking care to requisition a good portion of it. Additional Union troops have been collecting in Missouri under Blunt's superior, General Schofield.

In the meantime, the Confederates have been raising a new army in Arkansas by enforcing their conscription laws. After his great victory at Corinth, General Price has moved back west of the Mississippi to take command of this force, turf the Union out of Arkansas, and recover his beloved Missouri. Several thousand Missouri volunteers are believed to have made their way south into Arkansas to join him.

The game

The game will feature an unusual situation, and very different armies, from those found in Tennesse and Virginia.

This scenario needs 9 players, although more could certainly be accommodated if there is sufficient demand. One thing I should say right up front is that each of these main commands is larger than a single brigade. I am aware that several of you like to play at brigade-level, but the scenario just won't work on that basis.

That said, most of the commands are either small divisions, or say just one brigade and a battery or two. Hopefully this will allow you to humour me and stretch a point. I am encouraged in this hope by yesterday's campaign battle, where most players commanded a division.

The game will probably last about 2.5 hours.

If you are interested, can you please express your preference for dates, sides and roles on Doodle here: http://www.doodle.com/n6pqfbgf9d7feb92 I will respect deeply-held affiliations, but where possible I aim to mix up Union & Confederate campaign players, as part of the xmas 2012 anti-cliquism initiative santa

To play this scenario you will need:
• Game patched to v1.5
• Couriers & Minimaps mod v1.5001
• Reduced Flags mod , which I can supply
• Pipe Creek expansion pack
• TeamSpeak 3 & functioning mike

Happy to answer any questions............short of giving away sensitive information, of course.

Martin (J)

Last edited by Martin on Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Martin

Back to top Go down

General Price Goes Home.  A Gettysburg scenario game Empty Re: General Price Goes Home. A Gettysburg scenario game

Post  Father General Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:10 pm

I'd like to join up. This sounds like a cool scenario!

-Neal
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

General Price Goes Home.  A Gettysburg scenario game Empty Re: General Price Goes Home. A Gettysburg scenario game

Post  Martin Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:48 pm

Father General wrote:I'd like to join up. This sounds like a cool scenario!

-Neal
Excellent news FG. Your very presence will add class to an otherwise tawdry brawl. But you do need to doodle, Your Eminence. I am not aware of any doctrinal reason why you should not.

I appreciate it's short notice for the coming weekend dates folks, but we may yet do it. Including Neal, we're 2/3rds of the way there already.

I will need to send out maps, OOBs and other briefing material to you all before the game. Can I ask anyone who has not previously done so to send me a personal message with their actual name and email address please? I think kg little mac is the only one so far in that category.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  kg_sspoom Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:05 pm

I would like to play and will be able to play most days at 20:30 gmt.
On the weekends I won't know till after Thursday if I can be on sooner
kg_sspoom
kg_sspoom

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:17 pm

kg_sspoom wrote:I would like to play and will be able to play most days at 20:30 gmt.
That's great Steve. Maybe we'll make you a reb this time?

With you that makes 9, although ideally I would like 9 plus me, rather than 9 including me, as I think it best if I take an observer role.

At the moment Saturday the 15th November is looking to be the favourite date, but if you and (ahem) the FG would kindly doodle your availability, that might change.

Btw this being the Trans-Mississippi, there are a number of cavalry commands in this scenario. Or perhaps I should say mounted infantry. If anyone especially fancies playing one of these, please let me know.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  kg_sspoom Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:26 pm

I will doodle my availability when I get home as my phone doesn't like doodle. I'm fine with either side.
kg_sspoom
kg_sspoom

Back to top Go down

Post  FlashmanKBE Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:57 pm

Martin wrote:
kg_sspoom wrote:I would like to play and will be able to play most days at 20:30 gmt.
That's great Steve. Maybe we'll make you a reb this time?

With you that makes 9, although ideally I would like 9 plus me, rather than 9 including me, as I think it best if I take an observer role.

At the moment Saturday the 15th November is looking to be the favourite date, but if you and (ahem) the FG would kindly doodle your availability, that might change.

Btw this being the Trans-Mississippi, there are a number of cavalry commands in this scenario. Or perhaps I should say mounted infantry. If anyone especially fancies playing one of these, please let me know.

Martin (J)

I will happily take a cavalry command, sir!
FlashmanKBE
FlashmanKBE

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:51 pm

FlashmanKBE wrote:I will happily take a cavalry command, sir!
Well volunteered Ollie, although I see you cannot make Saturday 15th which looks the most likely date at the moment, by some margin. Is that a definite no for you? If there is sufficient demand, I can always run it again later, probably with some tweaks.

I see we've had some more recruits so we're now up to 12, including FG & Steve. We can certainly still fit a few more in, as folks can always command brigades in the larger divisions.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  FlashmanKBE Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:24 pm

Martin wrote:
FlashmanKBE wrote:I will happily take a cavalry command, sir!
Well volunteered Ollie, although I see you cannot make Saturday 15th which looks the most likely date at the moment, by some margin. Is that a definite no for you? If there is sufficient demand, I can always run it again later, probably with some tweaks.

I see we've had some more recruits so we're now up to 12, including FG & Steve. We can certainly still fit a few more in, as folks can always command brigades in the larger divisions.

Martin (J)

It's actually my Birthday, and I suspect that there may be many reasons I can't turn up. If I possibly can, I will be there!
FlashmanKBE
FlashmanKBE

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:15 am

FlashmanKBE wrote:It's actually my Birthday, and I suspect that there may be many reasons I can't turn up. If I possibly can, I will be there!
Even I have to admit that's a reasonable excuse Smile

No such extenuating circumstances for the Father General, who has still yet to doodle! I fear it's an episcopal court for him!

If we do go for the 15th, that should give plenty of time for team discussion, after I send out maps & briefings. I would aim to do that before this weekend.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Just signed up -- looks like fun. I'm happy playing either side, and would prefer direct control of a single brigade within a division, or a brigade & guns.

-Ron
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

http://rwberg53.wix.com/adventure-images

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:16 pm

WJPalmer wrote:Just signed up -- looks like fun. I'm happy playing either side, and would prefer direct control of a single brigade within a division, or a brigade & guns.

-Ron
Splendid. It should be possible to accomodate you.

Including the FG (but excluding Ollie) that makes 12 of us I think for Saturday 15th. At the moment that appears to be the only doable date, so I'm going to firm-up on it here & now. We'll aim to start at 19.00 (7 pm) UK time, which everyone appears able to make.

What I will do now is work out the teams, taking account of any preferences expressed. I will then email each team it's briefing material.

It looks as if we have enough players so that some can act as reserves, in case of late drop-outs. If everyone shows up, then the reserves can play as brigade commanders, which some will no doubt prefer. I will appoint the CinCs, but leave them to decide who takes which command under them.

I will leave the doodle open, both for the Saturday 15th December and the January dates. We can always fit more players in.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

General Price Goes Home.  A Gettysburg scenario game Empty Sorry

Post  J.B. Hood Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:22 pm

I didn't realize it was U.K. time so I probably won't be able to play.
J.B. Hood
J.B. Hood

Back to top Go down

General Price Goes Home.  A Gettysburg scenario game Empty Sorry

Post  J.B. Hood Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:32 pm

I re-doodled the time I can probably make it. Let me know what date I will probably need to get off early.
J.B. Hood
J.B. Hood

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:39 pm

J.B. Hood wrote:I re-doodled the time I can probably make it. Let me know what date I will probably need to get off early.
Well done. Saturday 15th December.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:50 pm

FOR THE RECORD - Father General will NOT be appearing at this battle.

But Neal will be. :-)
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:51 pm

Well Neal will have to do I suppose, as his representative on earth Smile

There appears to be a slight preserence for starting at 19.00, but poor old J B Hood cannot play before 21.00. But if we start then, it appears that Baldwin cannot make it.

It would be good if we can fix it so that everyone can play, but that may not be possible. But let's try anyway.......

J B Hood & Baldwin, if we split the difference and start at 20.00, could you both tweak your schedules and play?

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  J.B. Hood Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:59 pm

No sorry. It's already going to be tricky to get off that early. I work in retail you see. Might be better to go with Baldwin. I will try but no promises.
J.B. Hood
J.B. Hood

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:03 pm

Neal will obviously be the Union CinC. cheers
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  J.B. Hood Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:09 pm

My boss just confirmed that I can get off Saturday the 15th in time. Then again I'm new so you might want to go with Baldwin because of experience.
J.B. Hood
J.B. Hood

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:16 pm

Uncle Billy wrote:Neal will obviously be the Union CinC. cheers

I'd LOVE to Kevin! Ah, but for some unknown reason, every time I play Union, my computer crashes. Must be some bug in my copy of the game. It's probably best for me to stick to the side that doesn't crash my computer...a new meaning to the phrase, " Blue Screen of Death."

I should post a screencap of my Gettysburg Scenario Selection screen. All the Confederate flags representing the scenarios have scores on them. The Yankee flags are blank...

-Neal
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:23 pm

J.B. Hood wrote:My boss just confirmed that I can get off Saturday the 15th in time. Then again I'm new so you might want to go with Baldwin because of experience.
Excellent. So you can start at 19.00?

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  J.B. Hood Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:25 pm

Sorry, negative. I can start at 2100. Thats what he approved. We are not allowed to take vacation during this time as well.
J.B. Hood
J.B. Hood

Back to top Go down

Post  Baldwin1 Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:51 pm

In the name of Christmas spirit santa and helping my ole friend Hood I believe I can re arrange my schedule for 21:00.

Baldwin1
Baldwin1

Back to top Go down

Post  J.B. Hood Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:54 pm

You please me dear Sir Baldwin. Merry Christmas to you and all. santa
J.B. Hood
J.B. Hood

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next