Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog can't make it
by Grog Fri Sep 13, 2024 5:59 pm

» Toggle vegetation = true not working
by popeadrian Fri Aug 30, 2024 11:43 pm

» 1862 Kriegsspiel manual by Von Tschiscwitz
by modron Thu Aug 29, 2024 8:23 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by popeadrian Sun Aug 25, 2024 5:39 pm

» Guide to map making?
by popeadrian Wed Aug 14, 2024 1:44 am

» SOWWL Artillery batteries
by Uncle Billy Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:15 pm

» Set Up for SOWWL NAPOLEON GAMES For Kriegspiel style
by Uncle Billy Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:35 pm

» The New SOWWL Is Now Available On Steam
by Grog Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:14 pm

» Boxed KS set Wallington NT near Morpeth
by Martin Sat Jun 08, 2024 3:50 pm

» Help Request-Artillery Behavior
by Dutch101 Mon May 27, 2024 4:08 pm

» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

Statistics
We have 1594 registered users
The newest registered user is TalonLestrange

Our users have posted a total of 30533 messages in 2303 subjects

I forgot my password

A letter home from the Father General...

Go down

A letter home from the Father General... Empty A letter home from the Father General...

Post  Father General Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:04 am

A letter home from the Father General (before he was the Father General).
Published from Musings of the Father General 2nd ed. republished 1911, from London, England, with permission.

Dear Grandfather,

By now you have surely read the papers which proclaim the defeat of this corps as though a grave scandal had been committed. I personally doubt such to be the case, so you may rest assured.

I know every man in this command fought courageously and well. I also know the cause of defeat, which I assign solely to our generals whom I suspect lack faith in Providence.

You would find it infuriating, Grandfather, to see how these otherwise distinguished men behave. They spend their time pouring over maps, debating strategy and tactics, obsessed with trivialities such as terrain and facts.

I learned, quite correctly in seminary, that the only thing that matters is faith in the Divine Will of Providence. Once you have that armor, you may face the greatest giant. Yea, as David slew Goliath, what need have we of armor of any sort when we have Providence on our side?

You see, I lay the blame for this failure squarely on the commanding generals because they should have pitched directly into the enemy at first sight. Indeed, this was my impulse, yet I was restrained and compelled to occupy an undignified position in a glade rather than attack.

I truly believe that had we attacked them directly, in a withering fury of unrestrained aggression, they should have been repulsed. Nay, surrendered!

The enemy would have been put off balance, surprised. At West Point I was taught that such surprise is key to any victory. Were my professors false? I know there is a reason I left the army for seminary afterwards. The army is filled with fools whose profession is self-promotion, not victory, which only comes through Providence.

Anyway, despite the slanderous papers, we have withdrawn in good order. Every brigade appears intact and the men are in good spirits for a defeated army. I think we can give them another go at a moment’s notice, and turn defeat to victory, following some badly needed prayers. The enemy are all cowards, as you must know.

I hope things are going well on the plantation. You are very fortunate to occupy that place and it is my prayerful hope that Ma and Pa can be convinced to relocate there away from the Mississippi which I suspect the enemy covets. I’d like them to remain out of harm’s way, and I can think of no safer place to pass the war in peace than on the plantation outside Atlanta.

I remain your loving Grandson,

Reverend Col., Matthew Neal
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum