Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1561 registered users
The newest registered user is Captsmoak

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

HITS games screenshots

+4
Uncle Billy
Baztanz
Baldwin1
Mr. Digby
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

HITS games screenshots Empty HITS games screenshots

Post  Mr. Digby Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:00 pm

We don't have a thread for these! Why not? Razz

In another thread, and I can't remember which one, someone asked for a screen of one of the epic fights I enjoyed at Union Mills on the 2nd Pipe Creek map a few days ago with Uncle Billy and 4th Texas. I finally got some time to mash 3 images together to give a more than 180 degree panorama. You can see the joins rather obviously but it gives a good impression of the Cecil B de Mille scale of this fight.

http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/22426/EpicFightAcrossValley.jpg

Last edited by Mr. Digby on Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

HITS games screenshots Empty Re: HITS games screenshots

Post  Baldwin1 Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:45 pm

I call this one "Sea of Grey"

HITS games screenshots Screen0839

One of the few times the whole corps is united in battle Very Happy

Baldwin1
Baldwin1

Back to top Go down

Post  Baztanz Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:56 pm

That was a grand effort Mr D sir, great Picture and thanks for posting.

Baztanz

http://www.constantine-ii.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:06 pm

Ugh, I don't know what happened to the quality of that screenshot. I think the free hosting service here must compress the file more. I've re-uploaded it now.

@ Baldwin - an yes, that was a really good fight; the AI division and our player-controlled division working together and pushing them down that long slope.

"With the skirmish line."

http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/22426/WithTheSkirmishLine.jpg
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:03 pm

From last night's bloodbath. Digby, Jack, John and myself battling below Schaeffer Ridge on one of the Pipe Creek maps. Longstreet's corps was wrecked, but the Union's 5th and 6th corps no longer exist.
HITS games screenshots Carnag11
HITS games screenshots Fogofw10
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:59 am

Thanks to Martin's love affair with the Peach Orchard, another bloodbath and wrecked division delivered to us.
HITS games screenshots Longgr10

HITS games screenshots Theadv10
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Baldwin1 Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:45 pm

Title: "Evil from Mordor"

HITS games screenshots Screen1057-1
Baldwin1
Baldwin1

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:58 pm

And there sure as heck was a alot of evil there tonight! I have never, NEVER seen a battle with so much artillery. It was like trying to attack on the western front!

(We used the Fredericksburg OOB, 40,000 men a side. It was a meatgrinder of monsterous proportions).
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Baldwin1 Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:53 pm

Yes meatgrinder indeed, 50% casualties on both sides and fierce shelling from the artillery. It did feel very epic in scale.

HITS games screenshots Screen1153
Baldwin1
Baldwin1

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:50 pm

Yesterday's carnage on the Secessionville map.
HITS games screenshots Lineat10

HITS games screenshots Battle10
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:36 pm

From last night's battle for the Planck Rd. on a Pipe Creek map. Ninety percent casualties on the Rebel side and 50% for the Union.
HITS games screenshots Taking10

HITS games screenshots Advanc10

HITS games screenshots Deadly10
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:00 pm

Another fight along the Plank Road, south of Jerusalem. Niall and myself inadvertently split the rebel forces. Our small division engaged and destroyed that of Rhodes. We were then ordered to turn 180 degrees and push the remnants of Early's division from the ridge. Niall's steely nerves and refusal to panic saved the day. Smile
HITS games screenshots Cornfi10

HITS games screenshots Assaul10
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Leffe7 Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:09 pm

Let them come!
HITS games screenshots 2nddiv10

Riders of Rohan
HITS games screenshots Cavcha10

Have no fear, we are here!
HITS games screenshots Cavcha11
Leffe7
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

Post  Leffe7 Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:03 pm

a picture from yesterdays battle against the AI when Martins men advanced for the final charge.
In the background to the right you can see the Union main batteries where the first part of the battle was fought.
HITS games screenshots Attack10
Leffe7
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

Post  Baldwin1 Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:50 pm

From the Second Manassas game yesterday.

(Stonewall Brigade faces Black Hat Brigade)

HITS games screenshots Screen0098
Baldwin1
Baldwin1

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:48 pm

Naughty boy! Turn off your unit range radar thing! We should not be using it in HITS games.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Baldwin1 Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:36 pm

Have you looked at the other screenshots? scratch Everyone has it on, I didn't know you could switch it off quite frankly.
Baldwin1
Baldwin1

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:05 am

Some screenshots of our monster battle tonight. Neal, Steve, Jack and me vs MTG, Major Byrd and Cleburne on the Antietam map.

The Approach March:
HITS games screenshots Screen0011

Genl Barksdale's Attack on the South of the Town:
HITS games screenshots Screen0015

On the North Side of Town we raan into a Wood with a strong Fence and guns supporting the Union line:
HITS games screenshots Screen0018

In the Centre the Enemy had a Stone Wall Forming an Angle. It Became known as "The Devil's Elbow":
HITS games screenshots Screen0022

We Drove one Regiment back from The Elbow but there were Reserves Behind:
HITS games screenshots Screen0023

A Powerful Rebel Charge then went in from Three Brigades and took the Fence. This is the High Water Mark:
HITS games screenshots Screen0025

However we couldn't hold onto our gains and our boys were exhausted. Fresh reserve Union regiemnts threw us out of the wood:
HITS games screenshots Screen0028

We had to abandon the field to the enemy...

Great game gents, and well played.

EDIT: Unfortunately this forum layout with the wide left-hand blank pane means a huge chunk of the images' right hand side is cut off. If you quote my post then copy/paste the image URLs into a new browser window you'll see the full image.

Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Cleburne Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:29 pm

Thanks for those Martin(the other Martin), Laughing
Great shots you managed to get there.Really captures the feel of approaching those West woods.
It was a real struggle to contain that Confederate attack and not for the faint of heart i assure you.
Excellent fight indeed from both sides and very enjoyable.
Thanks to all who took part and hope to do it again soon!
Also with Firefox all i need do to see the pictures is to right click them and then select View.
Worked fine.Again great stuff Martin and thanks!
cheers

D

Last edited by Cleburne on Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Mistake in type)
Cleburne
Cleburne

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:06 pm

Great shots Digby. You can view the full pictures the same way with Firefox. Unfortunately I didn't have the chance to take any from the Union perspective. The southern battle plan was a good one, Hood hitting my division on the left while McLaw's attacked the right. Fortunately, we had a good defensive position and the artillery had wonderful fields of fire. Cleburne and Major Bryd made a great stand in those woods.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

HITS games screenshots Empty Father General's AAR, Battle 8/26

Post  Father General Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:48 am

It is my duty to report that this division was engaged on Saturday, 26 August, and did meet with limited, temporary success in driving the Federals. Although our division did not defeat the enemy in detail, I understand that our performance was gallant and accomplished, and this division did largely withdraw from the field with honor intact.

We broke camp at first light, and the men were ordered into columns. While the precise position of the enemy was unknown, my sense was that he should post himself around Sharpsburg for to go skulking about as federals are wont to do.

I have it on good authority, their ironically named General Georgia has a proclivity towards silverware, drink, and lose women, but I digress. I do expect those proclivities to yield the harshest judgment by the Hand of Providence before long and pray mightily for it.

Having estimated (with success I may add) the general disposition of the federal force, I made a significant decision. I had before me the dirt and macadam roads of the country, as well as the fields and forests. While most of the army moved along the roads, I elected to travel cross-country for to gain the enemy rear. I understood fully this would cause the men much weariness, but weariness is the nature of battle, and men should be taught to fear no such thing, but rather to overcome it by virtue of prayerful discipline, reliance upon Providence, and determination to the Cause.

Our march overland was successful, and in good enough time we gained Harper’s Ferry road.

It was at that time I received the first of several disturbing reports. Apparently General Saunders had remained behind the division, ensconced upon his hill with the divisional artillery behind him.

I dismissed the inquiry of General Baylor as odd curiosity, but when the same inquiry arrived from General Digby, I became concerned.

I now had at the ready three of my four brigades and no artillery.

But battles do not wait. I issued new orders to those units remaining behind and we pressed ahead with our plans for a flank attack upon the enemy.

It was at this time I received a new report, that General (Steve) Ellis was out of position on the march, for he had been led wrongly by an eager lieutenant. This put him on a road far to the north of his designated position. The lieutenant has since been promoted to captain and appointed to my staff; I appreciate decisiveness.

I informed General Ellis that he was to get into the desired position, an order which he followed with alacrity.

Eventually, my column gained a position on the enemy’s right flank, on the South Sharpsburg farm trail. General Baylor was ordered to form in a cornfield directly opposing the enemy flank, which was comprised of a Vermont brigade and was hotly engaged with General Hood’s men.

I posted Ellis to Baylor’s right, also in line of battle. I appointed General Digby to the left flank.

By this time, I had yet received no word from my missing forces.

It was my original desire to see my three brigades form a complete line prior to sending them in, but we had no time for formations. I ordered Baylor to attack at his discretion with general orders to Ellis to support his right. Digby remained in column, not yet on the South Sharpsburg farm trail, for his men had a greater distance to cover. He hurried them ably.

Baylor wasted nary a moment, and his attack was one of the finest sights I have seen on the field. In perfect unison, his disciplined line struck the Vermonter’s flank and sent them reeling. As Ellis added his firepower, the Vermont brigade rolled up.

The federal line refused at 90 degrees to its original position within moments with shattered regiments forming what defense they could. At this time, general Digby did attack, being well formed, and he pushed these men back further.

Observing my right, I noted that General Ellis did not appear engaged, general Hood providing flank support to Baylor. I issued a discretionary order to Ellis to relocate on our extreme left, with which he elected to comply.

The federals, being cowards to a man, continued to break before the combined assaults of Digby and Baylor.

Digby reported the capture of their brigade commander, whom I sent immediately to the rear under the supervision of the provost marshal.

Digby pressed his assault hard, and soon I noted his forces moving obliquely, ultimately masking Baylor’s regiments. This displaced General Baylor, who I then moved to the extreme left as I had done Ellis previously.

Our attack continued with tremendous success, a fact which I credit to the courage of my men, the skill of my generals, and the kindness of Providence and the divine favor which rests upon our cause.

Within the half-hour we had bent the Federal line 180 degrees, cleared the western section of town, and pushed the federals back on their artillery. They were compelled to take a less dignified position cowering behind a fence line and in woods to their rear.

I still had no word despite several orders being sent to my missing units. This is the moment of misfortune, for a brigade short, and without our guns the weight of federal hirelings opposing us was so great as to halt our advances.

I will note that it was with no favor that General Hood ceased his attack on the federal division, leaving the entire army to us.

This easing of pressure permitted federal shot and shell to be lavished upon my men. Having closed to deadly range for to duel with cannon, canister dis dreadful damage to our lines, although I am proud to say few men broke, and every man did what he could.

In a final effort, I being much disturbed to be without artillery, ordered a final push to drive the federals form their entrenchment behind the fences. It was not that I felt victory was at hand, but rather that I could not stand their defiance.

I ordered a full attack now, with all reserves ordered forwards. Ina supreme effort, we hurled the federals as an angry child a rag doll, out of their entrenchments and into their woods to contemplate their shame.

I am left to wonder what could have been, should I unleashed my men from all discipline that day. I fear a massacre of the blue-backed invaders might have ensued if not for the stern discipline and courageous example set by generals Digby, Baylor, and Ellis.

You must understand that these men did not shy from the canister, but rather were overcome with
anger as angry hornets, and appeared quite capable of ousting the federals from their woods, had they elected to truly set upon the invading blue-bellied snakes. However, each general, myself included, understood this would invite more killing and possibly scandal of the sort that this army shall never be tainted by. Despite my disgust of the Yankee, I will not permit my men to massacre the federal with their bayonets and fists, for I believe to a man that should have been the result had we not thought better of it.

With my brigades now holding back, and it clear that more federals than ammunition remained at the ready, I placed General Digby in charge of the division while I rode back to see what matter detained General Saunders and the artillery.

General Digby did execute a successful withdrawal, textbook style, in the face of the enemy who was too fearful to advance.

He did return the brigades to their starting position for the day.

At camp, I found General Saunders claiming to be down with sickness and his staff unable to coax him into giving the order to march. According to his attending physician, he was terribly beset by fever and rabid with delusion. I observed this with my own eyes, when he referred to me (unaware of my presence) to an aide as “A lunatic, religious zealot that would as soon stick his own head into the mouth of a napoleon as his –redacted for decency— into a woman.” Upon hearing that, I knew him to be insane.

My orders did reach him, but no courier could persuade him to issue marching orders, nor to relinquish command. The batteries stayed in situation, understanding that they were to follow his brigade in line of march.

General Saunders was relieved of command and sent to the hospital. I wish him to be well for his inquiry. If I judge him guilty, I shall make a full report and recommend his execution for cowardice in the face of the enemy, although I do believe him to be sincerely ill. Regardless, I cannot have in my command a man who doubts my leadership or refuses to acknowledge the blessings of Providence, which are so clearly with us.

I remain your faithful servant,

General Neal

Last edited by Father General on Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:50 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I forgot a comma. A lieutenant has been declared responsible and flogged.)
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:24 am

Very amusing AAR. Thanks Neal.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:15 pm

Let me be the first to thank Gen. Neal for his forbearance in the attack upon our right. Had he not done so, my cache of silverware, liquor and fancy ladies might have fallen into his perfidious clutches. That would have been a terrible waste of ill gotten booty.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:36 pm

Yes Billy, your reprieve was ONLY because we did not have enough ammunition to finish you off and I didn't want to answer for a massacre of you poor Federals. Don't think you won! (As you dine in Sharpsburg among the ladies with your new china and silver.)
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:39 pm

Neal, have you, by any chance, ever been active in higher-level politics? Very Happy
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next