Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:24 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

» Scourge of war Waterloo remastered on Steam
by Martin Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:41 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30495 messages in 2294 subjects

I forgot my password

Impromptu Games

+20
Smoke Grenadiers
Boerenkool met worst
Sokowl
Baron501
Mongo
scauispo
Richard
Maximilian (Punky)
Martin
Rosaroll
risorgimento59
Zarco
Miko77
Grog
Earl of Uxbridge
DumpTruck
Vincent6691
Uncle Billy
Mr. Digby
Charmead
24 posters

Page 3 of 42 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22 ... 42  Next

Go down

Impromptu Games - Page 3 Empty Re: Impromptu Games

Post  DumpTruck Fri May 01, 2020 11:25 pm

Greetings Zarco. We play on the discord, the link to which can be found here https://kriegsspiel.forumotion.net/t2083-discord-server-for-the-ks-group. We play Sun, Tues, and Fri at 2:00 PM EST. It's usually recommended to get your feet wet a bit before jumping into multiplayer to familiarize yourself with the changes and UI controls. Try to join a little early so someone can help you get the most up to date files, as we tend to have minor hotfixes from time to time. Hope to see you on the field sometime.

DumpTruck

Back to top Go down

Post  Zarco Fri May 01, 2020 11:49 pm

Thanks, ill try to be present on Sunday. Btw, can look for people to play on Discord or its onlty for organized matched?

Zarco

Back to top Go down

Post  DumpTruck Sat May 02, 2020 12:51 am

I'm not sure on the specific rules of the Discord (if there are any). We keep it pretty casual so I wouldn't think there'd be a problem with trying to find pick up games there, though you might actually have more luck making a post on the forums a bit in advance as I don't think very many people actively check the Discord on off-game days. We do try to keep the chatter on there to a minimum for the sake of not cluttering the chat rooms and questions regarding the game, tactics, etc are usually directed towards the forums.

DumpTruck

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Sat May 02, 2020 1:44 pm

I think my new Division motto is going to be “We don’t do towns”

It was not a pretty experience getting hit from 2 directions by 3 divisions in Kelheim yesterday while in narrow streets. There was only 2 or 3 cavalry regiments with all that infantry but that’s all you need when infantry is in column and can’t see the threat in time to form square.

We were in the east side of town going south. The objective was on far west side. Vince (and eventually Ehey and I assumed Grogs cav) were hitting it from Northeast side. Hardly anything in town opposing us at the time. So i decided to go south below the town and come up on objective from opposite side.

The moment we were about to emerge from the south side of town there appeared a french cav regiment. I could not see anything else. So my lead brigade halted to form square to plug the road and the rest of the division turned directly west while still in town. Suddenly French appeared in front of them as they marched. And within 5 minutes the French were pouring thru streets and alleys led by cavalry.

Very hard to maintain situational awareness. At one point I found myself inside a house for about 30 seconds. Could not get out. Could not see anything  Could hear plenty. Came out to try to find my units.  Got killed. Now respawning outside the town I saw French emerging, from it, which meant I had to ride through or around to get to my troops. Battalions separated from their brigade commanders meant I had to find one battalion at a time and give it orders, but TC will just make it worse. Got killed 2 more times.

My command - maybe 40 percent of the original will all but 2 guns lost - finally reformed outside of town. “Reform” is not accurate. It was a coincidence of separate desperate retreats. All were mostly exhausted. Morale fragile. And the French just kept coming.

Maybe the next mod we can issue torches. Happy to burn a town. Happy to shell a town. Happy to watch the comings and goings of the enemy in a town while sitting on a hillside far away from that town.

But not happy to enter a town expecting to fight. The AI can be real mean when it wants to be.

Good game yesterday tho.
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincent6691 Sat May 02, 2020 3:54 pm

Your plan was very good I think and worked well at the beginning. The screening movement ofEhey allowed us to move 2 divisions to the south without a damage: great move !

Then, I suppose it's a bit of bad luck. I had the biggest division (20 regiments) and you had the smallest one. Unfortunately you had 2 french divisions against you in the south and I had only 1 small brigade, 5 cannons and 2 cuirassiers regiments facing me in the North.

After a rapid progression towards the objective that pulled back the French I got stuck 500 yards away from the star, unable to break through. One or two cavarly regiments would have been enough since I had a so massive division (22 regiments) that the French would have been overwhelmed in 10 minutes before the tsunami showed up from the south. My only option was to move in squares under direct fire from cannons and skirmishers but it wasn't fast enough and quite costly  Very Happy

I also realized in the replay that my troops were packed too close on town eastern side, I should better encircle them from the North, I had enough troops for that !

I'm curious to know which fraction of total Austrians casualties are accountable to Pat and I divisions Laughing
Vincent6691
Vincent6691

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat May 02, 2020 8:03 pm

I had a lovely day out, beautiful sunshine, leafy forests and some nice meadows in a shallow valley with a chuckling brook running over stones and under an old pack horse bridge. It was idyllic. I wish I'd taken my easel and brushes. I heard there was a battle somewhere but didn't get involved much. One can't over-tire the horses.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Sat May 02, 2020 8:56 pm

Wait ... we had cavalry with us?  Where?

I saw impressively dressed men on horseback with umbrellas and serving trays offering food to my infantry as we ran away from the French.

Was that our cavalry?

:-)
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat May 02, 2020 9:03 pm

French casualties: 11325
2. Armeekorps
De Buzim: 385, (pitiful showing even for an Austrian), von Nordmann: 1351, von Prochaska: 827
3. Armeekorps
Von Colloredo: 1643, von Radetz: 1011, von Weissenwolf: 719
1. Kavalriekorps
Hessen-Homburg: 1429, Nostitz-Rieneck: 3960

Austrian casualties: 10839
2. Armeekorps
De Buzim: 1783, von Nordmann: 3654, von Prochaska: 206
3. Armeekorps
Von Colloredo: 3343, von Radetz: 501, von Weissenwolf: 104
1. Kavalriekorps
Hessen-Homburg: 102, Nostitz-Rieneck: 367

Number of French engaged by each Austrian division:
2. Armeekorps
De Buzim: 16990, von Nordmann: 12206, von Prochaska: 8422
3. Armeekorps
Von Colloredo: 8879, von Radetz: 9746, von Weissenwolf: 2613
1. Kavalriekorps
Hessen-Homburg: 6577, Nostitz-Rieneck: 8786

Percent casualties of enemy engaged:
2. Armeekorps
De Buzim: 2.3%, von Nordmann: 11.1%, von Prochaska: 9.8%
3. Armeekorps
Von Colloredo: 18.5%, von Radetz: 10.4%, von Weissenwolf: 27.5%
1. Kavalriekorps
Hessen-Homburg: 21.7%, Nostitz-Rieneck: 45.1%, (a barbarian)

Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat May 02, 2020 9:21 pm

I like those stats, can we have them again some time?

I lost 102 men? How did that happen? Ah, I know, they must have got drunk on our supply of Sangria and fallen off their horses to doze in the woods. I don't think any of my fellows actually got hurt. Heavens! That would be simply awful.

Last edited by Mr. Digby on Sat May 02, 2020 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Sat May 02, 2020 9:29 pm

I had 5k facing 17k ... ewww. Lol. No wonder it felt like a tidal wave
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sun May 03, 2020 1:48 pm

I can play today at the usual time, 14:00 EST, 19:00 BST.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Sun May 03, 2020 6:13 pm

I will be there. Possibly 5 to 10 mins late but will be there.
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Tue May 05, 2020 6:03 pm

I can play today at the usual time, 14:00 EST, 19:00 BST.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Fri May 08, 2020 12:58 pm

I will be there today.
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Fri May 08, 2020 1:21 pm

Can't play today fellas. Have a good game. Hopefully will play Sunday
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Fri May 08, 2020 1:32 pm

That's clever Grog - Shoot and scoot Very Happy
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Fri May 08, 2020 10:09 pm

My work here is done😎
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri May 08, 2020 11:36 pm

You didn't miss much - except a colossal screw-up by the player team...
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Sat May 09, 2020 12:17 am

Nothing like ordering a concentration of the army unto a spot you thought was twice the size. Bad depth perception. I would take the blame but decided to blame Kevin. Convenient. Thunder offered a critique of the army plan and thus has been unanimously selected to command next big game
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat May 09, 2020 1:01 am

"Thunder offered a critique of the army plan..."

= "That was complete bo****ks!"

bounce bounce bounce
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Sat May 09, 2020 1:15 am

It’s interesting. Its why this is far and away the best ever game and playing experience, and so much fun

If I were truly just focused on army command then I would have galloped to the perceived critical spot and recognized the situation and make corrections. But with my own division to command and 5 miles away from the spot you only have your own mental image, a set of assumptions and words on a courier message. Plus you gotta focus on moving your divisions.

By the time I got to the scene - I spent time screening and harassing the French division following us — there were 4 or 5 packed. divisions. So the only way “out” at that point was “through” and casualties be damned in doing so.

But I orchestrated the plan and gave the orders. So my responsibility.

And like I said: Kevin’s fault

Lol
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  DumpTruck Sat May 09, 2020 1:59 am

I'd be willing to take a small amount of blame. I could have had a more detailed conversation with you about the situation in Theiry in the early game. At the time I knew Pat was on the other side of the world so it'd be a while if I asked for permission. In the end I chose to follow orders. I wasn't sure if Pat had some brilliant complex plan that I would ruin or something. Also it just didn't feel very Austrian to act on initiative. I suppose I could have just bought up something about the space situation but that also didn't feel very Austrian. My orders stopped at the period. You'll have to pay me a heroes paycheck if I'm to be risking my life like that. Madam Fifi vouchers are acceptable as payment.

DumpTruck

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Sat May 09, 2020 9:25 am

I wasn't sure if Pat had some brilliant complex plan that I would ruin or something.

True, the plan was to have the Battle of Crater in Napoleonic setting - couldn't do better...
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Sat May 09, 2020 11:51 am

True I had images of Grants 1864 campaign in mind. This time I stuck to giving general orders only to corps commanders.

I had no plan for first 30 minutes other than consolidating the spread-out army south of the objectives.  I like to wait to get some scouting done anyway. Of course in classic Kevin style we were not anywhere near what our map said before the game. I simply told the corps commanders to let me know when they reached their assigned staging areas because then and inly then would I know where the army was.

I told Thunder to have a 2 brigade front, stack 3 divisions and push. That his lead division was probably going to get chewed up at the first objective but to use it as a sacrificial screen at first objective so his other 2 divisions could push onto the northern objective. I told Ehey to key his movements off thunder, to be on his right and slightly behind. And slide far enough to the right to give Thunder a 2 brigade frontage. And that his responsibility was the first objective. In my cav Corps I wanted Kevin to support either attack but wait as long as possible. My smaller cav division would focus on screening the French approaching from the east since I was farthest east anyway.

I wanted Thunder to go first and lead the attack. That way Ehey would have an easier job spacing off him and he would actually be hitting the Thiery objective from the SSE because Thunder lead division would hit it first.

I reversed the order of attack when Ehey told me Thunder was going to get crowded as Thunders corps was staging behind him. I should have told Ehey to hold and slide right and let Thunder thru.

By the time I finally arrived and saw the compact mass I realized my mental image was not reality I set up my division to wait for the French behind us and rode up to see the details. So I resisted temptation to extract soecific divisions and override corps commanders and just ordered all out attack, use the bayonet and create a hole - any hole.

Oh well. Between Kelheim Kobyashi and this one it has been less-than-desired outcomes.

Again, I blame Kevin. His fault.
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat May 09, 2020 3:36 pm

I wonder if this is what d'Erlon's men experienced at Waterloo, massed together in a space too small for maneuver and seeing the British heavies bearing down on them? It must be a humbling experience for a CinC, in command of six other humans, to be unmanned in such a dramatic fashion by a small wafer of silicon. Embarassed
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 42 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22 ... 42  Next