Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

New regular SOW MP game schedule

+8
Mr. Digby
The Fox
Father General
Uncle Billy
Grog
Leffe7
Richard
Martin
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New regular SOW MP game schedule  Empty New regular SOW MP game schedule

Post  Martin Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:37 am

According to the doodle, Friday and Saturday at 20.30 UK time are the favourites.

So until further notice we will run regular games twice a week on Friday and Saturday at 20.30 UK time.  If you are playing, we suggest you go onto our TeamSpeak server shortly before.  

There was also a fair amount of support for some of the other days, and it may be possible to expand the program in future, particularly if we can increase the pool of players.  Even now, there is no reason why we shouldn’t have additional ad-hoc games on other days.  Thursday evenings and Sundays afternoons (all UK time) are likely slots for that.  Just start a thread on the forum if you have a time in mind.

See you this coming Friday!

Best regards

Martin

Last edited by Martin on Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Martin

Back to top Go down

New regular SOW MP game schedule  Empty Re: New regular SOW MP game schedule

Post  Richard Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:38 pm

Martin wrote:According to the doodle, Friday and Saturday at 20.30 UK time are the favourites.

So until further notice we will run regular games twice a week on Friday and Saturday at 20.30 UK time.  If you are playing, we suggest you go onto our TeamSpeak server shortly before.  

There was also a fair amount of support for some of the other days, and it may be possible to expand the program in future, particularly if we can increase the pool of players.  Even now, there is no reason why we shouldn’t have additional ad-hoc games on other days.  Thursday evenings and Sundays afternoons (all UK time) are likely slots for that.  Just start a thread on the forum if you have a time in mind.

See you this coming Friday!

Best regards

Martin

I may be able to get my very first SoW game on Saturday, if this schedule is still being adhered to! Otherwise Sunday, Monday and Thursday would be good for me - or other days at earlier times.

Cheers,

Richard
PS I need to get some tutorial practice in ;-)

Richard

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:51 pm

Sounds good Richard. Yes we now have games every Friday and Saturday now. At 20.30 UK time.

And you'll be very welcome to join us.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:06 pm

A reminder that our regular games this week are on Friday and Saturday at 20.30 UK time.

If you are playing, we suggest you go onto our TeamSpeak server shortly before.  

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:11 pm

A reminder that our regular games this week are as usual on Friday and Saturday at 20.30 UK time.

If you are playing, we suggest you go onto our TeamSpeak server shortly before.  

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:53 am

Our new regular schedule of Friday and Saturday games appears to be working well.

Davide and I have been exchanging ideas on how to make things even better, and he came up with what I thought was a good suggestion.......

That is to make one of the games a more formal session with a prepared scenario with written briefings, specified maps etc.  Whoever is running the scenario could advertise the game and set-up a doodle, so we get a good feel for numbers, and know who to send the briefings to.  One advantage of scenario games is that before the game everyone knows which mods we will be using, knows which officer they will play, and can also make their plans.  So those games tend to start more promptly.

We already have a number of scenarios ready or in the works:  The Father General has already prepared one, I have an ACW cavalry raid scenario ready, and Davide is currently working on a mini-campaign of maybe 3 linked battles, with casualties etc carried forward from on engagement to the next.

The other regular day could remain as a more informal event, with an ad-hoc game, depending on who turns up, and what they wish to play.

Thoughts anyone?

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Leffe7 Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:39 pm

Sounds great. I also miss the more structured scenarios like Palmer used to host.
Leffe7
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:57 pm

Thanks Martin

I'm also in full support of scenario games.

I like the games where you are given limited intelligence on the whereabouts of the enemy and don't know exactly where your friends are too.

Sending patrols to find the enemy and couriers to locate your friends and inform them of your own whereabouts and intention are, to me, big aspects of the FOW games that we play.

The FOW aspect gives me a bigger buzz than the action itself and I really like the smaller engagements where you have more control over your forces and you have more time to consider tactics and communicate with team-mates.

I'd like to play more games where the reconn and screening aspects of L.Cav and L.Inf were used. Having a player fulfil this role and limiting generals radius from their units would be a good thing IMHO.

Hopefully, I'll get opportunity to play the scenarios you mentioned and perhaps put one or two together myself soon.

Mike

Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:37 pm

I second the idea too. I especially agree with everything Mike said. It is such a relief, once the fighting actually starts.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:38 pm

Ok.  It looks as if this is going to be a welcome development.

I guess the next thing to decide is whether we should always run scenario games on the same day.  And if so, should it be Fridays or Saturdays?  Here is a doodle, please ignore the specific date - I cannot think of a way to eliminate it.  

It is asking for folks' views on whether we should have a fixed day for scenario games, and for your preference between generic Saturdays and Sundays in that case http://doodle.com/nvm63d22znphmf9t

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:54 pm

I'm all for this. On Saturdays.

I enjoy the anticipation of knowing just HOW I will feed my men into the meat grinder as opposed to falling into it by chance.

Also, I can build scenarios too, and I have my step-by-step guide at home. I can share that with anyone who is interested in making their own scenarios.

-Neal
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:49 pm

Ok, we've only had a low response to the doodle - not even the FG voted  Sad.  But there is a unanimous view that we should always run scenario games on the same day.  The majority view is that Saturday is better than Friday.  So Saturdays it is!

Friday will continue on a more informal basis, with game scale, subject etc decided on the day.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

New regular SOW MP game schedule  Empty Newbie SOW

Post  The Fox Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:16 pm

Hi

Just joined forum & purchased the PC game - probably available for Saturday evening but am still learning the game mechanics. Would it be correct to join a multi player game or should I cut my teeth on a few other games first?
I could always command a supply wagon or two?

The Fox  clown 
The Fox
The Fox

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:53 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum! As long as you have at least got the hang of the basic game commands and have worked thru the tutorials I'd say its okay to join a multiplayer game. New players are usually given only a brigade of infantry to start with, usually about 4 or 5 battalions and you can ask for bigger commands whenever you feel comfortable. A small division with 1 brigade and 1 battery is a command many players enjoy.

We have a few mods we always use.

For Napoleonics we use these mods and files here:

https://kriegsspiel.forumotion.net/t759-set-up-for-sow-napoleon-games-for-kriegspiel-style

For American Civil War we use these mods and files here:

https://kriegsspiel.forumotion.net/t370-set-up-for-sow-games-for-kriegspiel-style

You will also need Teamspeak voice comms software:

http://www.teamspeak.com/

And speakers or a headset, plus a mic. (we use Teamspeak for arranging and starting games, choosing sides and commands, we don't use voice chat in game at all, all comms are sent by the courier system).

The address and password for our TS server is:
Address: ts8.gameservers.com:9107
Password: 20thmaine
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

New regular SOW MP game schedule  Empty Cheers

Post  The Fox Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:23 am

Thanks Mr Digby

Yes Mitra sent me the SOW mods link which I've installed, I shall need to get the comms set sorted & I've watched a couple of the posted utube links & seen courier system 'working'. The small basic command will suit me just fine.

2030 GMT should be good for me  Very Happy 

The Fox
The Fox

Back to top Go down

Post  Ike Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:10 pm

Well, I certainly proved that I need remedial instruction on the mechanics of SOW as well as other aspects of HITS commands on the battlefield! Embarassed That said - and assuming that 2030 GMT is the same as 14:30 CST here in Texas - I shall make myself available for every "pick-up" game from Tuesday through Friday and occasionally Mondays as well. Preferably in Napoleonics, but ACW is okay as well so I can recall how to connect what I see with what's on the map. *sigh*
Ike
Ike

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:26 pm

We don't play much in the week. I know that Kevin sometimes plays with Jack, ACW battles, at about 18:00 or 18:30 Mountain time. I can usually make Fridays at our usual time (20:00 UK) or later but I can't host. It only needs 2 people for a good co-op vs AI game, and you can get better at the basics of formation handling and polish your HITS skills using single player.

But, yeah, I can help out where I can. I don't know if any other EU players do much in the week.

I know you have other committments at wekends Ike, but turning up for as many MP battles as you can is a good thing, and just taking a brigade, that's a good way to learn. Also if its a Bessieres battle you can play but you do not have to command, I can be as flexible as you prefer over campaign assignments.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Ike Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:33 pm

Thanks, Mr. Digby.  I ought to restrict myself to brigade command in the battles certainly, until I re-learn what I once knew about SOW interface and commanding troops in these games.  heh.  I shall make myself available as much as possible and will show up for afternoon early evening battles, 1800 Mountain time is 1900 my time and supper is over for me by then. Fridays, unfortunately, I have to pick up my wife from her job as chef at a Thai restaurant in San Antonio, which task usually takes me from about 1730 (my time) until 2300 as I must wait for the restaurant to close. Well, that's okay as I'm available for the occasional game and once the new SOW:Waterloo comes out I will have more solo NP to work with and I can do sandbox solo vs the AI occasionally as well, because part of my difficulty is caused by not recalling how to order the subordinate units around.
Ike
Ike

Back to top Go down

Post  Iberalc Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:04 pm

Hello Ike, I think I will be able to play some days during the week at 20:30 GMT or a little bit later (21:00 GMT would be better for me), it will be good training for me as well. pirat

Now I can't host, just changed my router and I didn't have time to learn how to open a port.

If nothing comes up we could try tomorrow tuesday, maybe there will be more volunteers. cheers
Iberalc
Iberalc

Back to top Go down

Post  Ike Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:42 am

Thank you, sir. Tuesday is not good for me as I have to drive my wife to work - 35 miles each way - and have some small business to transact which will ruin the afternoon. Wednesday at that same time would be perfect, however, if your schedule will allow. And I can try to host.
Ike
Ike

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:48 am

I'm hoping to start playing in some midweek games too, perhaps next week if some of you guys are available.

Don't worry about the last battle, Ike.  There will be plenty more, and at the end of the day, it is only a game Smile

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Iberalc Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:36 am

Wednesday 21:00 GMT will be fine for me, if something comes up and I won't be able to play I will let you know in this forum ASAP.
Iberalc
Iberalc

Back to top Go down

Post  kg little mac Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:48 am

Ike,

Every afternoon around 4:15 p.m. (New Braunfels' time), there's a GCM SOW game: www.sowmp.com .

It's not hits, but you'll start with a small division and the setting is 100 yards from the saddle.

A good place to gain some mp experience.
kg little mac
kg little mac

Back to top Go down

Post  Ike Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:27 pm

Thanks, Mark. I'll try to make those.
Ike
Ike

Back to top Go down

Post  Iberalc Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:49 pm

Hi Ike are you able to play HITS tonight?, there is also a game with GCM in about 30 min., so I will be playing some SOWGB anyway. Very Happy
Iberalc
Iberalc

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next