Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Set Up for SOWGB NAPOLEON GAMES For Kriegspiel style

+13
SJDIII
MJP
midgetmanifesto
vonAugust
Iberalc
The Fox
Richard
ELement UK
Grog
Mr. Digby
Baldwin1
Ike
Uncle Billy
17 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Set Up for SOWGB NAPOLEON GAMES For Kriegspiel style Empty Set Up for SOWGB NAPOLEON GAMES For Kriegspiel style

Post  Uncle Billy Fri May 31, 2013 2:36 am

In order to play a Napoleonic version of Scourge of War, Kriegspiel style, You will need the latest versions of both the game, KS Sprites Mod, KS Napoleon Mod and KS SOW Supplemental Maps.

KS Sprites Mod: KS Sprites Mod 1.00

Download location for KS Napoleon Mod 1.718:KS Napoleon Mod 1.718

If your vertical screen resolution is less than 1024, use the small map version: Small KS Napoleon Mod 1.718

The third mod to install is the KS SOW Supplemental Maps.  This is a collection of free maps done over the years and gathered up in one place.  It is not a stand alone mod, (it doesn't have the mini-maps inside it), but is for use with either the Nappy mod or the ACW mod, Courier & Maps.
Here is the link: KS SOW Supplemental Maps Mod 1.07

Other mods can sometimes be used, but care must be exercised, as they may conflict with the required mods. Those which are known to be safe for use are: Realistic Smoke Mod, and GCM Terrain 4. It is always best to ask before using an unlisted mod.

Setup the Mods.

Start the game and make sure the three mods on your modification screen are selected, (yellow box beside them). Click the check mark.

Game Option Settings.

SOW is both CPU, (computer brain), and GPU, (graphics brain), intensive. We have found through trial and error option settings that give reasonable performance and keep the game visually appealing.

On the Options screen page II
% trees showing: 75
Display off map trees: unchecked
Max transparent trees: 80
Make walls transparent w/trees: unchecked
Max terrain draw distance: Best
Show Map Objects: Best
Show off-map terrain: unchecked
Max # artillery hit decals: 20
Max units draw distance: 1000
Max trees draw distance: 1000
Max objects draw distance: 1000

If you are hosting the battle these are the host option settings.

Preset difficulty levels: Custom
Map icons display level: Bare Map
Max camera distance from you: 2 (set in sowgb.ini file, see below)
Orders by courier at this command level and above: Brigade
Uniform quality: Best
Sprite ratio: 6
Show map objects: Best
Realism: unchecked

Now it's time to make a few manual changes to the sowgb.ini file. It will be found in the \Work folder. Open it and scroll down until you find the section titled [Custom]
Find and change the value found for MPplyrradius to MPplyrradius=2
You can also change the value of plyrradius to plyrradius=2 This way you can practice commanding in single player at this camera height.
Now find the section titled [Initialization]
Add the following line: aicount=55
It doesn't matter where you put it in that section. This will make the AI a bit more clever.
Now save the changes you just made. You are finished and ready to play.

To participate in a game you will need to join the KS TeamSpeak channel.  Go to the TeamSpeak website and download the free program: TeamSpeak URL
The address and password for our server is:
Address:  ts85.gameservers.com:9195
Password:  20thmaine

To set up TeamSpeak whisper channels so you can privately communicate with the commanders you are next to on the field, read this thread: Whisper Keys Setup

If you are interested in designing scenarios for MP play, and we always need more of those, use the Scenario Generator: KS SOW Scenario Generator 1.47

If this is too generic for you, you can edit a scenario manually, for advice read this thread: Scenario Creation Tutorial

Last edited by Uncle Billy on Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:43 pm; edited 45 times in total
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Set Up for SOWGB NAPOLEON GAMES For Kriegspiel style Empty Re: Set Up for SOWGB NAPOLEON GAMES For Kriegspiel style

Post  Ike Fri May 31, 2013 11:23 pm

I do not have the KS Napoleon Mod 1.600. Instead I have the "Road to Wagram & Peninsular CSVs". I have all the others - and a few more Wink ). So my question is, is that "KS Napoleon Mod 1.600" the most recent mod and do I need to install it in place of the "Road to Wagram & Peninsular CSVs" mod? I actually hosted a match yesterday afternoon(my time) yesterday evening(BST) and had no problems with doing so. But, I want to be certain that I remain current on the mods etc so that I may continue to host and play.
Ike
Ike

Back to top Go down

Set Up for SOWGB NAPOLEON GAMES For Kriegspiel style Empty Re: Set Up for SOWGB NAPOLEON GAMES For Kriegspiel style

Post  Baldwin1 Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:15 pm

Getting this error in my SOW work log file after it crashes during the loading screen.

10:00:00 Flag not found while loading unit: GdD Pierre Antione Suchet|FR_INF_CDR_CORPS
10:00:00 ----------------loading: GFX_FlagFlair
10:00:00 ----------------loading: GFX_

This was with the Madrid OOB. Is there a separate flags mod I need? I had all the mods in the right order I believe. Restricted movements at the very bottom, above that is KS Nap Mod above that one is Road to Wagram Nap&Pen mod. I didn't activate the Road to Wagram Nap&Pen CSV mod either. So I'm unsure what is causing this crash. I want to get it fixed before tommorrow's game. I will be in HITS TS most of the day if anyone wants to help me out.

Update: Digby helped me get everything sorted except for the minimap which I need the small frame for, i'll be on TS later in the evening for further assistance *points at Kevin*
Baldwin1
Baldwin1

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:14 pm

Ike wrote:I do not have the KS Napoleon Mod 1.600.
The latest released version is 1.6001. The link is in the first post of the thread. Follow the instructions, namely delete/rename the logistic folder in the Road To Wagram mod. You will also want to download the Restricted Movement Maps mod, also in the 1st post.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:31 pm

In case anybody has trouble with any of the links in the first post a mirror set of our Mods is uploaded to another dropbox account:

In addition apart from the tech stuff involved in getting the mod working, play-style advice from me is as follows:

1) Only play in full screen - never in windowed mode. We have known windowed users games to cause crashes.
2) Please never toggle trees off, no matter how much you're tempted!
3) Disable the 'range to nearest unit radar'.
4) Turn off unit flags.
5) Turn off road march markers.
6) Install the keyboard.csv file that allows you to access and control your general avatar by using the Ins/Home/PgUp/Del/End/PgDn keys as well as the arrow keys to move through your OOB hierarchy (Higher level/Lower Level/Next Peer/Prev Peer).

Keyboard.csv:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nhbrdl0lo1rq07g/keyboard.csv?dl=0

7) Turn off all other mods except graphical ones such as GCM/Jolly's Terrain, realistic smoke, blood, etc. These are compatible and can be found at the NSD forum:

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/modifications/23871-released-mod-threads

8 ) Disable all other toolbar mods - the KS Mod uses a specific toolbar for many Napoleonic formations (square, brigade formations, etc) and the mod will lose many features or even crash if you use another toolbar.
9) The only mods needed are in this order (top of list to lower on list):

Road To Wagram and Peninsular = https://www.dropbox.com/s/4oqo6jshlmy7kcd/Road%20to%20Wagram%20%26%20Peninsular.7z?dl=0
Supplemental Maps = https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0cknmct0b0u0zc/KS%20SOW%20Supplemental%20Maps102.7z?dl=0
KS Napoleon Mod (Large) = https://www.dropbox.com/s/61ji19qyff9pm4d/KSNapoleonModLarge1710.7z?dl=0
KS Napoleon Mod (Small) = https://www.dropbox.com/s/a8xqtnaby7xy8gp/KSNapoleonModSmall1710.7z?dl=0

Use the 'large' KS Mod if your vertical screen res is 1024px or greater, use the 'small' KS Mod if your vertical screen res is less than 1024px.

These are copies I have just uploaded to my dropbox account.

10) Sometimes the KS group uses maps from NSD buyable add-ons (Pipe Creek, Brandy Station, Antietam, Chancellorsville). You may need these add-ons to play in some of our games though we also use stock maps (often modified) and Garnier's random maps as well as many of the free NSD add-ons (like Lynchburg, Seccessionville, Olustee, 10Mile, etc).

Last edited by Mr. Digby on Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Ike Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:14 am

Thank you, Uncle Billy, but I posted that on 31 May. Smile
Ike
Ike

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:47 am

Maybe Kevin thought you still hadn't fixed it? Twisted Evil 
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:53 pm

I have updated the KS Napoleon Mod to version 1.650, (link in the 1st post of this thread). It contains packed versions of Gunships sprites from Belgium, Nassau, Prussia and Russia. All except the Russians have been included in the Waterloo OOB.

Also, cavalry behavior has been improved. The AI now tends to use it in concert with the infantry. Very dangerous. Twisted Evil 
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:05 pm

Excellent job, Kevin, packing all those sprites is a huge bonus for all us Nap mod players. I'm looking forward to fighting with the 1815 Prussians. Did you also swap out the incorrect uniforms and put the Dutch, Belgians, Brunswickers and Nassau troops into the Allied OOB?
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:08 pm

Digby wrote:Did you also swap out the incorrect uniforms and put the Dutch, Belgians, Brunswickers and Nassau troops into the Allied OOB?
Yes, they are all in there.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:33 pm

Thank you Kevin:D 

Great work. The colour and scope of our games has just exploded!

Another heap of gratitude to gunship24, also.

Any issues re releasing them in the 'KS mod format' only? Are they likey to be released outside the KS mod ie included in a later version of the RtW mod (just interested)

Mike
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:21 pm

Thanks for the kind words. I gave Gunship the link to the mod. I don't know if he has any interest in updating his mod. I have the impression he has moved on to other endeavors.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Set Up for SOWGB NAPOLEON GAMES For Kriegspiel style Empty file from link road to wagram and penninsular broken file

Post  ELement UK Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:50 pm

14:16:47Tried multiple times and it keeps coming down broken. Iether it is broken or it's just not in a format that uses winrar. Is it a winzip file?

Ok it was winzip. wow haven't used winzip in yrs
ELement UK
ELement UK

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:59 am

You don't need winzip to extract a zip file. Windows 7 has a built-in extractor. I use winrar to open these files without problem.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  ELement UK Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:21 pm

WinRar would not open WinZip files for me.
ELement UK
ELement UK

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:31 pm

That sucks. Sorry to hear you're having problems with it.

Did you configure it to with the "open with this application" option?

I know for a fact it does so maybe there's a problem in your install, you could try uninstalling and redownloading it.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:45 am

I use winrar on my laptop and win7 for my PC.

Both programs open the Road to Wagram and KS Nap mods.

My winrar program is old and I have managed to use the trial version for several years. It asks me to purchase it but it carries on working for the simple unzipping process anyway.

I expect you are using it correctly but just in case not, try this:

Create a new folder on your desk top (right click the desktop, new, folder)
Right click on the zipped file
Left click Extract Files....
Highlight the New folder file with single left click
Activate the OK button

The unzipped file/folder should be in the new folder.

Mike
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:41 pm

Uncle Billy wrote:In order to play a Napoleonic version of Scourge of War, Kriegspiel style, You will need the latest versions of both the game, Road To Wagram & Peninsula Mod, KS Napoleon Mod and GCM Random Maps 6.

The latest game patch can be downloaded here: SOWGB 1.61 Final Patch

Road To Wagram & Peninsula Mod: Road To Wagram & Peninsula Mod

The "Road To Wagram & Peninsula Mod" link seems odd. I suggest this one (version "1.4", apparently).

Richard

Richard

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:07 pm

There have been several iterations od the Road To Wagram mod. The one listed in the first post is the right one to use. We only use some of the graphic items in it, nothing more.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:12 pm

Uncle Billy wrote:There have been several iterations od the Road To Wagram mod.  The one listed in the first post is the right one to use.  We only use some of the graphic items in it, nothing more.

Thanks but I can't get it to download/work correctly.

Richard

Back to top Go down

Post  The Fox Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:40 pm

Hi

Tried to download the SOWGB 1.61 today & it got deleted by windows essential because of a virus and the same as Richard the Road to Wagram.. is a strange link including ads for 'free space' etc. Have these links been verified or is it too many late nights for me!

Sean  Embarassed 
The Fox
The Fox

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:07 pm

I just tried it and it seems to work. It first redirects to adfly. Just skip the ad. You are then taken to the download page for the mod.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Ike Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:21 am

I've downloaded and installed and installed the mods and think I have them in the correct order. But, in the start up screen there is no "Napoleonic" on the screen and no Napoleonic battles appear. What did I do wrong??
Ike
Ike

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:14 am

Ike,

Have you remembered to activate the mods on the Modification screen. Each one needs clicking twice, in order to get the required small yellow square next to it. Then also remember to click the mod activation button at the bottom.

mike
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Ike Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:14 pm

Ah, of course. Thank, Grog! I have two excuses for that lapse of memory: senility and I've been away from SOW for nearly two years.  Laughing 
Ike
Ike

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next