Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog can't make it
by Grog Fri Sep 13, 2024 5:59 pm

» Toggle vegetation = true not working
by popeadrian Fri Aug 30, 2024 11:43 pm

» 1862 Kriegsspiel manual by Von Tschiscwitz
by modron Thu Aug 29, 2024 8:23 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by popeadrian Sun Aug 25, 2024 5:39 pm

» Guide to map making?
by popeadrian Wed Aug 14, 2024 1:44 am

» SOWWL Artillery batteries
by Uncle Billy Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:15 pm

» Set Up for SOWWL NAPOLEON GAMES For Kriegspiel style
by Uncle Billy Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:35 pm

» The New SOWWL Is Now Available On Steam
by Grog Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:14 pm

» Boxed KS set Wallington NT near Morpeth
by Martin Sat Jun 08, 2024 3:50 pm

» Help Request-Artillery Behavior
by Dutch101 Mon May 27, 2024 4:08 pm

» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

Statistics
We have 1591 registered users
The newest registered user is rumples

Our users have posted a total of 30533 messages in 2303 subjects

I forgot my password

Set Up for SOWGB NAPOLEON GAMES For Kriegspiel style

+13
SJDIII
MJP
midgetmanifesto
vonAugust
Iberalc
The Fox
Richard
ELement UK
Grog
Mr. Digby
Baldwin1
Ike
Uncle Billy
17 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Set Up for SOWGB NAPOLEON GAMES For Kriegspiel style - Page 3 Empty Re: Set Up for SOWGB NAPOLEON GAMES For Kriegspiel style

Post  Mr. Digby Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:20 pm

Was the cavalry in a wood?

I don't care about the NSA, if they want to look at what I have on Dropbox they can go right ahead. I'm sure they won't give a monkey's about people downloading game mods! I'll always use Dropbox - I refuse to modify my internet activity due to Big Brother because then Big Brother has won.

I don't fully agree with the AI cavalry control thing. I have always preferred players full freedom of how they use their troops. I find the issues that arise from the AI control or 'no flags' feature are more obstructive than letting players decide how to control cavalry and get infantry into square. It's an even playing field - an infantry commander can sit with his men and put them in square if threatened.

In the campaign scenarios there won't be any limitations on cavalry command and control. The only time I might enforce a rule is to ensure both sides have the same number of cavalry commanders.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Set Up for SOWGB NAPOLEON GAMES For Kriegspiel style - Page 3 Empty Re: Set Up for SOWGB NAPOLEON GAMES For Kriegspiel style

Post  Guest Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:34 pm

If Big Brother wants you affraid  he is going to get you whether you use dropbox or not.  Fabrication is a lot easier than hunting for it.

Back to top Go down

Post  SJDIII Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:44 pm

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
George Santayana, 1905

Cavalry was in the open.

I would hope that through the identifications of game problems with the Ai, that they can be addressed and remedied . Have we forgotten the enemy troops just walking through a line problem.
SJDIII
SJDIII

Back to top Go down

Post  midgetmanifesto Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:15 pm

Maybe there should be a thread created to track instances of the 'no fight' bug. It sounds as thought it keeps popping up.
Certainly cavalry and infantry have been affected by it. Spanish (and maybe Austrian?) sprites. Lower levels of skill I think.
Single player and multiplayer affected. AI and direct control.

What were the particulars of your butchered cavalry?
midgetmanifesto
midgetmanifesto

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:13 pm

Cavalry have often been problematical because SoW simply wasn't designed to cope with it, even ACW cavalry is a crude kludge. Expecting mounted charges and the like in European style - its frankly incredible we've got the game to do this much.

The odd squadron that stands and does nothing is a minor issue and in fact is realistic in some of the craziness that was the wars of 1789 to 1815.

In our MP games all cavalry is player controlled to a degree. If weird things happen just order them out of there. It might need you to personally ride over there and shout at the colonel but this was common in this period, orders being lost or delayed and some actions requiring the Boss Himself to go and get things done personally.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  SJDIII Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:35 am

Cavalry under Ai control, in the open, was charged by infantry, then enemy infantry melee cavalry until it broke.

Seems strange, if anyone was being stabbed they would fight back or immediately run away.
SJDIII
SJDIII

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:37 am

That is weird. I have NEVER seen infantry charge cavalry before at all. Were both sides under full AI control? Or was the infantry under player control?
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  SolInvictus202 Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:27 pm

I am unsure if my infantry actually went up against SJs Cuirassiers - as MY infantry never charged them... mine formed in line and started shooting at the cuirassiers until they routed...
initially two squadronds charged me, I quickly formed square and routed them both - after that none ever tried again...

I certainly never meleed them EVER (since I only had a brigade of grenadiers - I would have seen that for sure!)... so either there were more cuirassier brigades on the field - or someone else's infantry engaged SJs cavalry too.
SolInvictus202
SolInvictus202

Back to top Go down

Post  SJDIII Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:55 pm

There appears to be a problem with the up dates.

I was running the previous KS mods fine, now the game temporally hangs during loading at verifying terrain integrity. Then it will open the game and let me play, however when I open a map (regular or command) the game crashes.

The log file shows:
ERROR - Can't load sound (a whole lot of them)
Bad Color in Grayscale (a huge list)

I get no errors or problems when I go back to the pervious KS mods.

I get no errors when I go back to using GCM only Mods.

I have redown loaded the updated KS mods with the same results.

With the Calvary issue, I did kick my self for not taking a screen shot of the melee.
SJDIII
SJDIII

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:55 pm

Hm. Weird. Kevin is the man to answer that but he's away over this weekend. It sounds to my unskilled ears like a bad install. A group of us played an MP game on Monday that ran for over 2 hours without any errors.

I can only suggest you d/l again and try a reinstall.

All - I have added a link at the very bottom of the first post in the thread that includes a small patch to add a few more French portraits to the toolbar. Its not essential to have this but it adds to the mood and is especially applicable to today's Valladolid campaign game.

Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  SJDIII Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:43 pm

It appears to be a map issue.
It was stable, with other maps I tried.

The maps I tested so far, that crashed:
RandomMap 6L.1
RandomMap 6L.2
RandomMap 6L.3
Manassas

These maps don't display properly in the command map or the regular map.
Pipe Creek Line 1
Pipe Creek Line 2
Pipe Creek Line 3
SJDIII
SJDIII

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:02 pm

The only maps that are meant to be used with the nappy mod all start with a European country name. A few of the others may work, but most will not.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  SJDIII Sat May 02, 2015 11:02 am

Yes, those maps are in the KS supplemental maps mod.

Should I just not use the KS supplemental maps mod ?
SJDIII
SJDIII

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat May 02, 2015 2:48 pm

Hi SJDI.

You should activate these three mods:

KS SoW Supplemental Maps v1.05
KS Napoleon v1.714
KS Sprites v1.00

Make sure you turn off or delete Road to Wagram and Peninsular - that mod is no longer needed.

The activation sequence doesn't matter. Other than these you can use mods like Jolly's/GCM terrain, smoke, blood (and any other PURELY visual mods) but nothing else.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Thu May 07, 2015 6:20 pm

The KS Napoleon Mod has been updated to version 1.715. Also the KS SOW Supplemental Maps has been updated to version 1.06. The links to both files are in the first post of this thread. The updates mainly fix errors found in the previous versions. A new map for the next Peninsula Campaign battle has been added.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat May 09, 2015 9:15 am

Kevin, I can't find a Dutch-Belgian infantry brigade commander class. Has there ever been one? I was sure we had them in the past in the Waterloo OOB. Could we have infantry brigade commander classes for some of the lesser states as well at some point - Baden, Nassau, Portugal, Westfalia?

Thanks.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat May 09, 2015 2:13 pm

We always used French or British commanders. The lesser countries were not deemed of sufficient quality to produce their own leaders, I guess. I can add them easily enough.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat May 09, 2015 4:05 pm

Yes, I guess we can use French ones, or some other Germans like Wurttemberg. I only noticed this because we have quite a well-known Dutch commander in the French army at Santander - Baron Chassé. The cavalryman van Merlen is there too. I was just looking for a commander for him and saw there wasn't one. I suppose its not a big deal, it probably only becomes an issue of visual correctness when you need a certain nationality for the toolbar flag/portrait.

On a similar note of nationalities the Nassauers and Dutch only form column of companies when in French service, not column of divisions Wink
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat May 09, 2015 7:01 pm

On a similar note of nationalities the Nassauers and Dutch only form column of companies when in French service, not column of divisions
The Nassau troops come in two classes, NAA, (Allies) and NAF(French). The Dutch do too, DB_, (Allies) and DB_FR, (French). However, I see I did not change the toolbar, Friendly and Enemy, for two of the Dutch-French classes. Good catch, I'll make that change for the next update.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat May 16, 2015 9:07 am

I have added a brief note to the end of the first post giving a link to some updated toolbar portrait files kindly completed by Grog for the Santander battle.

Please install these for Saturday's game.

You will need Winrar or 7zip to unpack the archive.

Thanks
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer Sat May 16, 2015 1:08 pm

Martin, the installation instructions provided in the first post result in a sub-folder being created in the Toolbars folder, and didn't overwrite the old files directly. I assume that an additional step is needed where players copy the files from the "New Portraits for Martin 15.5.15" folder and paste them into the Toolbars folder to result in the overwrite?

There is also a sub-sub folder "Nap Portrait&Flag Reference Tables" in there as well. Is there something additional that needs to be done by players with these files?

Thanks,
Ron
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

http://rwberg53.wix.com/adventure-images

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat May 16, 2015 7:32 pm

I didn't mention the 'new portraits for Martin' folder as I was working on the assumption everyone would know not to copy that across, only the contents! I also said "the enclosed files" which means the contents of the folder, not the folder itself. Wink

The contents of that sub-folder you mention are there as an aid to scenario and OOB creators as these documents give the X-Y co-ords of every portrait in the mod which goes in column M of the OOB.csv.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer Sat May 16, 2015 8:02 pm

I knew what you meant. But given our history in large Nappy games with a wide diversity of players, thought it would be a good idea to post this on the remote chance someone would not pick up on the language nuance. Very Happy
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

http://rwberg53.wix.com/adventure-images

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat May 16, 2015 8:42 pm

With wise words do you speak. Amend the instructions I shall.

/Yoda
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Tue May 19, 2015 10:15 pm

The KS Napoleon Mod has been updated to version 1.717. The download link is in the first post of this thread.

Changes include: several new map variations, (restricted river crossings and fortresses), customized game screens, several tweaks to fatigue and movement and a couple of new artillery sounds.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next