Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:24 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

» Scourge of war Waterloo remastered on Steam
by Martin Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:41 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30495 messages in 2294 subjects

I forgot my password

New Player

+3
Leffe7
Uncle Billy
Fightin Joe
7 posters

Go down

New Player Empty New Player

Post  Fightin Joe Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:28 pm

I am relatively new.  I played one HITS game a year ago but would like to play more at present.  I have been playing GCM and while it can be fun I much prefer the use of couriers (it's nice to have quiet instead of some people yelling at each other), the first person perspective, and a real chain of command.  So, count me in.

I might also add I prefer the American horse and musket period over Napoleonic, but can try it out for something different.  Also, saw someone is starting an AWI mod.  This would be perfect for HITS as most AWI battles were small - 10,000 or less, making it very possible to recreate major battles (or fictional) of the war with only a handful of players.

Last edited by Fightin Joe on Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:06 pm; edited 2 times in total

Fightin Joe

Back to top Go down

New Player Empty Re: New Player

Post  Uncle Billy Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:57 am

Welcome Joe.  We play ACW and Nappy games.  Depending on the size of the group present, they can be co-op against the AI or humans vs humans.  The only thing we do exclusively is fight from the saddle using couriers.  It's a little disorienting and chaotic at first, but once you get used to viewing the battle from 10 feet above the ground, you'll find that it's the only way to play the game.  Are you located in the states or the UK?  There will be a game this weekend.  Go to this link GAME SIGNUP and signup if you can make any of the times.  If you live in the US, I'm available most evening starting at 17:30 MST.  Hope to see you on the battlefield.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Fightin Joe Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:04 am

Uncle Billy wrote:Welcome Joe.  We play ACW and Nappy games.  Depending on the size of the group present, they can be co-op against the AI or humans vs humans.  The only thing we do exclusively is fight from the saddle using couriers.  It's a little disorienting and chaotic at first, but once you get used to viewing the battle from 10 feet above the ground, you'll find that it's the only way to play the game.  Are you located in the states or the UK?  There will be a game this weekend.  Go to this link GAME SIGNUP and signup if you can make any of the times.  If you live in the US, I'm available most evening starting at 17:30 MST.  Hope to see you on the battlefield.
I am in the US, eastern time. I actually have been playing HITS exclusively in single player, and it is a bit more immersive than the standard fare.

Fightin Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  Leffe7 Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:24 pm

A nice little battle yesterday with Niall, Martin and FightingJoe/Steve playing together a Union Division. The Confederate AI brought in its second division just in time to change a walkover to a bloody stalemate. Well done to all. I was glad that there was no extreme pressure on the extreme left where my brigade was fighting, as I was a little bit distracted and not always in the saddle Razz 
Leffe7
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:26 pm

Yes our first new regular weekday game went well.  We played Wood’s Union division of 4 brigades vs the AI in unknown strength.  We advanced to a hill and were attacked by Rebs moving up from a stream bed.  We had a strong position and enemy advances against our left, right and centre were beaten off.  We were feeling pretty good, and Joe and I followed the retreating Confederates down into the valley and across the stream.  We were pushing up the hill on the other side, when another strong Reb division swept over the ridgeline ahead of us.

Downhill they came roarin’ and hollerin’.  Awful people, and really no way to behave.  We pulled back up our own hill (somewhat faster than we had gone down it!).  Held them for a time at a line of fences part way up, but were then forced to fall back further on our gun-line.  Our tired centre was assailed by 2 fresh brigades, and I feared it was about to collapse, but it turned out they must by now have been as tired as us.  

Fightin Joe lived-up to his name, Leffe proved a friend in need when my left was collapsing, and over all our commander Hays presided with masterly sang-froid.  Leffe was also looking after his new baby, who behaved with conspicuous gallantry under fire.

Now we are back to playing games, I will post a doodle for another weekday game.  We haven’t yet decided on a regular day (if indeed we ever do), so I will again be asking folks to express their preference for Wed, Thurs or Friday.  We’ll stick with a 19.30 start (UK time) as that seems to suit folks.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:18 pm

This all sounded perfectly reasonable until I read the part with, "Hays presided with masterly sang-froid." I nearly inhaled an entire cup of tea, real not instant! Having served under him and having carried out his well known strategic masterstrokes, I am impressed you all lived to tell the tale. Well done. No worries Niall, I'll follow you anywhere. Very Happy 
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:27 pm

Ah yes, Niall "Cat Herder" Hays, always a master of calm and clarity in dire and stressful situations like getting the army tent wagons up and parked in a straight line.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Fightin Joe Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:07 pm

Thanks for the game guys. I won't be available this weekend but will try to get in one next week. Other than receiving duplicate messages throughout it was a good experience. Never underestimate the AI, especially when they came at us with extra reinforcements!

Fightin Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  kg little mac Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:58 am

Fightin Joe wrote: (it's nice to have quiet instead of 20 people yelling at each simultaneously)
Wow, Joe. I'd really appreciate it if you wouldn't make derogatory and untrue remarks about GCM games on this forum.

As far as I know, you haven't finished one GCM game. The three or four you've played in that I was in you dropped less than 5 minutes into the game.

If you have problems with GCM games, please post your grievances on the GCM forum.

Many of us GCM guys also play in KS HITS games.

We respect the guys here and realize there are many ways to enjoy SOW:GB.

Please show us a little respect too. No one will ever force you to play GCM games.
kg little mac
kg little mac

Back to top Go down

Post  Hays Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:21 am

Uncle Billy wrote:This all sounded perfectly reasonable until I read the part with, "Hays presided with masterly sang-froid."  I nearly inhaled an entire cup of tea, real not instant!  Having served under him and having carried out his well known strategic masterstrokes, I am impressed you all lived to tell the tale. Well done.  No worries Niall, I'll follow you anywhere. Very Happy
No Problems this time. The Enemy appeared right in front of me. None of this sneaking up from behind.

Mr. Digby wrote:Ah yes, Niall "Cat Herder" Hays, always a master of calm and clarity in dire and stressful situations like getting the army tent wagons up and parked in a straight line.
No cats where harmed in the course of this battle. Just the odd Lion led by a Donkey.

Niall (will not be taking Command on Saturday) Hays
Hays
Hays

Back to top Go down

Post  Fightin Joe Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:04 pm

kg little mac wrote:
Fightin Joe wrote: (it's nice to have quiet instead of 20 people yelling at each simultaneously)
Wow, Joe.  I'd really appreciate it if you wouldn't make derogatory and untrue remarks about GCM games on this forum.

As far as I know, you haven't finished one GCM game.  The three or four you've played in that I was in you dropped less than 5 minutes into the game.

If you have problems with GCM games, please post your grievances on the GCM forum.

Many of us GCM guys also play in KS HITS games.

We respect the guys here and realize there are many ways to enjoy SOW:GB.

Please show us a little respect too.  No one will ever force you to play GCM games.
Apologies. Post has been edited.

Fightin Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down