Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

MS Excel for artillery resolution combat

2 posters

Go down

MS Excel for artillery resolution combat Empty MS Excel for artillery resolution combat

Post  Chorch Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:30 pm

These weeks I am trying to adapt the ranged combat (artillery) tables from the BRITISH ARMY manual 'KRIEGSSPIEL'
(1815 Draft), increasing the time ratio from 2 minutes to 15 minutes.
By proportionally increasing the losses, and adjusting values, I have managed to create the following table in MS Excel:

MS Excel for artillery resolution combat 00110

1C= 25%; 4C -< 1T; 1 I -> 5/6; 2I -> 4/6; 3I -> 1T
1C equals 25% of the regiment (every regiment 4 squadrons)
4C equals All the cavalry regiment
1 I equals 5/6 substitution piece
2 I equals 4/6 substituion piece
3I equals all the battalion

The table is still in the preparation phase, but with some simple formulas you can "automate" the obtaining of results randomly:

The following example would be for a 6-pounder battery, which would correspond to die 5 in the table, with bad effect, and at
a distance between 400 and 800 meters (500-1000 paces more or less). The result would be the retreat of the objective unit 300 m,
and with a loss of 1C if it were a cavalry regiment and 1I if it were infantry battalion.

MS Excel for artillery resolution combat 00210

I'm working in some other factors as artillery on artillery fire, counterbatterie, etc.

If real life allows me I'll show you some examples next days.
Chorch
Chorch

https://elrincondebyron.com/

Back to top Go down

MS Excel for artillery resolution combat Empty Re: MS Excel for artillery resolution combat

Post  Chorch Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:19 pm

MS Excel for artillery resolution combat Arty0110

MS Excel for artillery resolution combat Arty0210

Two fairly easy examples for artillery, flat terrain, units in open terrain or without natural protection. I think I have to refine the topic of artillery vs.cavalry more, since the time turns represent 15', which is a good amount of projectiles fired, but unless one is Lasalle or is in the reserve, the most normal thing would be to rectify the position of the regiment...

The option of discounting the units resulting from a roll of 1D6 is to look for a more "plausible" result. It could also be considered that if the roll is >4, half the losses are counted, rounding down (in our case (3/2 = 1.5 -> 1 squadron) and if it is lower, all losses are applied. This is just an example, of the several that can be applied... What do you think?

The calculations have been counted with the distances in yards.
Chorch
Chorch

Martin likes this post

Back to top Go down

MS Excel for artillery resolution combat Empty Re: MS Excel for artillery resolution combat

Post  Martin Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:18 pm

"Two fairly easy examples for artillery, flat terrain, units in open terrain or without natural protection. I think I have to refine the topic of artillery vs.cavalry more, since the time turns represent 15', which is a good amount of projectiles fired, but unless one is Lasalle or is in the reserve, the most normal thing would be to rectify the position of the regiment..."

I think that's right.  Unless the player has ordered the cavalry to remain in position come-what-may, then I think they would simply move back.  Even in such a case, I wonder how long they would stand?  

Conversely, my perception is that infantry would normally stand and accept the losses, especially if so ordered.

But someone else might have more historical knowledge on this...........in which case you should listen to them, not me haha Sad

Martin J

Martin

Chorch likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Chorch Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:00 pm

Hi Martin,

Normally the cavalry did not retreat when it was in reserve, and they held their own. If they occupied a position in the first or second line, sometimes the position was rectified somewhat, out of pure common sense. The infantrymen could still jump against a fast ball by jumping, a more complicated maneuver for horses formed in rows or columns... Rolling Eyes

There are many different situations, but I think we should distinguish a cavalry attack (a la Balaklava, to say the least) from a bombardment on stationary cavalry...

MS Excel for artillery resolution combat Arty0310

The three squadrons of the 5th Prussian Hussars under the command of Colonel Wolkswagen charge against the enemy battery of 6 Pdrs.
Result: 1 enemy squadron destroyed and the other two have to retreat 150 m/164 yds.

Well, I have to continue working on the table, and above all the situations...
Chorch
Chorch

Martin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Chorch Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:27 pm

As the cases are very diverse and, like all tables of this type, you always have to end up making adjustments so that the results are somewhat coherent,
I show you the table with all the formulas, in case anyone dares to make their own. Using these tables automates the calculations and allows us to
obtain the result we want sooner:

MS Excel for artillery resolution combat Arty0410

In my haste I have not finished translating all the sentences of the formula from Spanish to English, but you only have to replace, if applicable: Y:AND; FALSO:FALSE; SI:IF; BUSCARV;VLOOKUP.

Finally, if you want to automate the obtaining of results, without buttons with macros, what I have done is add a Format control:

MS Excel for artillery resolution combat Arty0510

=IF($L$11=TRUE;IF(AND($O$7="12 Pdrs";$O$10="Good");..........);"-")

When the control is activated, it calculates the formula and if it is deactivated, the cell shows us "-".
Chorch
Chorch

Martin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down