Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» SOW Scenario Generator
by glennthom Sat Jul 20, 2024 11:36 pm

» SOWWL Artillery batteries
by Uncle Billy Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:15 pm

» Set Up for SOWWL NAPOLEON GAMES For Kriegspiel style
by Uncle Billy Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:35 pm

» The New SOWWL Is Now Available On Steam
by Grog Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:14 pm

» Grog can't make it
by Grog Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:39 pm

» Boxed KS set Wallington NT near Morpeth
by Martin Sat Jun 08, 2024 3:50 pm

» Help Request-Artillery Behavior
by Dutch101 Mon May 27, 2024 4:08 pm

» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

Statistics
We have 1577 registered users
The newest registered user is errik100

Our users have posted a total of 30522 messages in 2300 subjects

I forgot my password

Temporary retirement, and Close Combat

+5
M.Jonah
kg_sspoom
Baldwin1
Uncle Billy
FlashmanKBE
9 posters

Go down

Would you be interested in playing a Modern campaign in the KS style, using the Close Combat: Modern Tactics game, with 5 players per side?

Temporary retirement, and Close Combat Vote_lcap25%Temporary retirement, and Close Combat Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 1 ]
Temporary retirement, and Close Combat Vote_lcap25%Temporary retirement, and Close Combat Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 1 ]
Temporary retirement, and Close Combat Vote_lcap50%Temporary retirement, and Close Combat Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 4

Temporary retirement, and Close Combat Empty Temporary retirement, and Close Combat

Post  FlashmanKBE Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:19 pm

Hi everyone,

I've decided that, until my connection is sorted (a matter that seems impossible to overcome according to those who claim they're trying to resolve it), I'm going to stay out of all SoW games. In fact, I'm not signing up to *any* multiplayer games at the moment, because my dropout problem is just too annoying for me, and everyone else. Apologies to all those I've let down in recent weeks, as a result of being "shot out of my saddle", or "drunk", or whatever other tomfoolery we come up with to try and lighten the blows.

I'm gutted, because these SoW KS and Ron's HG games were the highlight of my gaming week, and I would dearly love to be involved. But I figure it's more annoying to start and then drop, than it is to not start at all.

I have a target date of April when, if the matter is still not resolved, I'll be switching over to Optical broadband, with a different provider.

I'm actually currently putting together a Close Combat - Modern Tactics campaign, so this will keep me busy until my broadband is sorted, and I can travel back in time to the ACW again. I discovered that a few of you used to play a lot of Close Combat, and also that CC-Modern Tactics allows up to 10 players simultaneously, on 4km x 1km maps - bingo 10-player Modern Campaign! If anybody's interested, please drop me a line. (I've also added a poll to the end of this post, to gauge interest.)

I'll probably pop into TS now and then to chat with you splendid fellows, and probably try to rustle up interest in my idea.

Good luck with the exciting KS and HG campaigns, and keep up the splendid work everyone involved. I hope to see you on the other side of this "extended convalescence".

Best regards,

Ollie
FlashmanKBE
FlashmanKBE

Back to top Go down

Temporary retirement, and Close Combat Empty Re: Temporary retirement, and Close Combat

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:59 pm

That seems like a harsh solution. Until you switch providers, why not just take a minor roll, such as brigade command. Dropping from the game in that case has less of a consequence than if you are CinC. You might also try closing TS and any other internet programs once the game begins. Just use couriers to communicate in game.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Temporary retirement, and Close Combat Empty Re: Temporary retirement, and Close Combat

Post  FlashmanKBE Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:12 pm

Uncle Billy wrote:That seems like a harsh solution. Until you switch providers, why not just take a minor roll, such as brigade command. Dropping from the game in that case has less of a consequence than if you are CinC. You might also try closing TS and any other internet programs once the game begins. Just use couriers to communicate in game.

Sir, the problem must be dealt with harshly. Taking a minor role is an option, less frustrating for everyone else when I drop, but still just as frustrating for me. I've got fed up with kidding myself that "this game will be ok", and then it's not. Evil or Very Mad

The problem isn't related to any traffic such as TS or anything else. My router drops connection occasionally, even when both my laptops are off. The provider logs my drops, and I get around 15 in a 48 hour period, and most of these are during hours when nobody is using it.
FlashmanKBE
FlashmanKBE

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:22 pm

Have they provided you with a new modem/router? Intermittent drops are a sign of a flaky one. Also, does it feel very warm? If it has a marginal component, excess heat will cause it to go down for a short time.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  FlashmanKBE Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:47 pm

Uncle Billy wrote:Have they provided you with a new modem/router? Intermittent drops are a sign of a flaky one. Also, does it feel very warm? If it has a marginal component, excess heat will cause it to go down for a short time.

They gave me 2, they both do the same thing.
FlashmanKBE
FlashmanKBE

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:52 pm

Are they getting hot?
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Baldwin1 Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:15 pm

I say we form a mount and musket regiment I think they have a civil war mod for it. Then tie a KS campaign to that!
Baldwin1
Baldwin1

Back to top Go down

Post  FlashmanKBE Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:25 pm

Baldwin1 wrote:I say we form a mount and musket regiment I think they have a civil war mod for it. Then tie a KS campaign to that!

I'm sorry old fellow - you've completely lost me there!
FlashmanKBE
FlashmanKBE

Back to top Go down

Post  FlashmanKBE Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:26 pm

Uncle Billy wrote:Are they getting hot?

Not particularly - a little warm.
FlashmanKBE
FlashmanKBE

Back to top Go down

Post  kg_sspoom Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:03 pm

I have heard of a possible problem similar to yours (if it is a router or modem problem)
The first time some routers/modems are activated/initialized they need to be left on and online
for an extended period of time.
24 hours was the time I was told otherwise connections may reset periodically.
This would be a HUGE stab in the dark but you never know it could be the issue.
Sounds bizzare but might be worth checking into, unless of course it was a b.s. line the cable tech
was using to explain a bad connection that he couldnt troubleshoot.

I might be interested in a modern CC campaign, of course I would need to get the game first =)
I wouldnt mind a cross of iron campain either.
kg_sspoom
kg_sspoom

Back to top Go down

Post  FlashmanKBE Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:42 pm

kg_sspoom wrote: I have heard of a possible problem similar to yours (if it is a router or modem problem)
The first time some routers/modems are activated/initialized they need to be left on and online
for an extended period of time.
24 hours was the time I was told otherwise connections may reset periodically.
This would be a HUGE stab in the dark but you never know it could be the issue.
Sounds bizzare but might be worth checking into, unless of course it was a b.s. line the cable tech
was using to explain a bad connection that he couldnt troubleshoot.

I might be interested in a modern CC campaign, of course I would need to get the game first =)
I wouldnt mind a cross of iron campain either.

Thanks Steve. Well, I'm thinking the first time I switched it on I probably left it on. I might try to reset it, but I'm pretty sure I've tried that before.

Hold fire on CC MT for now, I need to identify if there would be much interest first Smile
FlashmanKBE
FlashmanKBE

Back to top Go down

Post  M.Jonah Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:05 pm

It could be entirely down to the router/modem what make is it. I changed provider to Opal business package and get a 20:1 contention rather than 50:1 that the general public get thus less connection problems i pay a bit more but i get the peace of mind. Also i don't tend to rely on provider based routers and bought my own I bought a Lynksys router which is basically a Cisco systems router never looked back but i too will be going to a fibre connection later in the year so that i can provide a better host for this game as i host alot of GCM games when we play.
M.Jonah
M.Jonah

Back to top Go down

Post  FlashmanKBE Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:27 pm

M.Jonah wrote:It could be entirely down to the router/modem what make is it. I changed provider to Opal business package and get a 20:1 contention rather than 50:1 that the general public get thus less connection problems i pay a bit more but i get the peace of mind. Also i don't tend to rely on provider based routers and bought my own I bought a Lynksys router which is basically a Cisco systems router never looked back but i too will be going to a fibre connection later in the year so that i can provide a better host for this game as i host alot of GCM games when we play.

That is very interesting. I've never even considered that it might be that the router they provide is cheap. I'll see if I can find a better one. Many thanks Jonah.
FlashmanKBE
FlashmanKBE

Back to top Go down

Post  Baldwin1 Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:17 pm

FlashmanKBE wrote:
Baldwin1 wrote:I say we form a mount and musket regiment I think they have a civil war mod for it. Then tie a KS campaign to that!

I'm sorry old fellow - you've completely lost me there!

It's a mod for the game Mount & Blade a FPS. I was just kidding. We would need at least 25+ people to have two groups firing at each other with muskets and have it look like a real skirmish.
Baldwin1
Baldwin1

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:31 pm

I have command ops, anybody have that?

It's pricey, but worth it.

Flashman, it will be sad to see you take a break, but as long as you're coming back, I can get though it.

I haven't heard from Digby, but I believe the next campaign will be commanders only locked for side, with all other players essentially employed as floaters, unless they really want that personal unit.

Heck, maybe we should just create personal units, one for each side? That way, the next campaign will progress more simply and smoothly. There won't be any 2-1 side ratios in terms of people. Smaller battles will be on tap as well. I think.

Anyway, hang in there and I'm confident in your ability to sort this stuff out. I pay premium for my internet, but it is worth it, given that I spend large amounts of time online for both work and play.

-Neal

Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  FlashmanKBE Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:47 pm

Father General wrote:I have command ops, anybody have that?

It's pricey, but worth it.

Neal, you genius - yes I do! I got Battles from the Bulge, and Highway to the Reich about a month ago, got really into it, and have been dying to play MP. I even found an opponent on the Matrix Games site, but decided to not start on account of these damnable connection issues.

Command Ops is just 1 v 1 though right? That is a damn shame because it would work very well with more players, don't you agree?

I also learnt that they are developing an East Front version next! I will put in my requisition for more MP ability in that!

But for now, I can still only dream of having a connection stable enough to enjoy any MP action.

Rolling Eyes
FlashmanKBE
FlashmanKBE

Back to top Go down

Post  mitra Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:26 pm

I have COBfB and HiTTR me too. I have my multiplayer session every monday evening; just terminate a 5 days scenario, we played for the last two months. Also Conquest of the Aegean is in conversion phase to the new engine.

mitra

Back to top Go down

Post  FlashmanKBE Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:05 am

In a spectacularly surprising move, BT actually put some effort into fixing my problem, and apparently it should be fixed! I'd like to cautiously dip back into HG5 with a brigade-sized command that can be commandeered should I drop, if that suits.
FlashmanKBE
FlashmanKBE

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:59 pm

FlashmanKBE wrote:In a spectacularly surprising move, BT actually put some effort into fixing my problem, and apparently it should be fixed! I'd like to cautiously dip back into HG5 with a brigade-sized command that can be commandeered should I drop, if that suits.

Sure Ollie. We'll have our collective fingers crossed!
Or, perhaps you might test it out ahead of time in a GCM game or some such, in which case I'm sure we could do better than a brigade command in HG5 Wink
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

http://rwberg53.wix.com/adventure-images

Back to top Go down

Post  FlashmanKBE Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:48 pm

WJPalmer wrote:
Sure Ollie. We'll have our collective fingers crossed!
Or, perhaps you might test it out ahead of time in a GCM game or some such, in which case I'm sure we could do better than a brigade command in HG5 Wink

Thanks Ron. There's not much point "testing" it in GCM, it makes no difference what I'm using the internet for when it drops. So as long as I'm continually testing it (which I am) until then, I should get a picture of whether it is fixed or not. Apparently, it was fixed on Tuesday (they didn't tell me until today), and I haven't had any drops since then.

As I say, this is most unexpected, as I've been waiting for them to fix it for months. I should have known that writing a retirement message would have had the desired effect! Less than a week on and I'm eating my words!

Fingers crossed, as you say. If I don't see any drops before Saturdays game, I'd probably happily take a division, and wouldn't mind guns-only, if we want to try that out. I've never actually commanded anything other than Army in HG, so I'd be happy to try my hand at division level.

If I do see any drops before then, I'm going to decline.
FlashmanKBE
FlashmanKBE

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:53 pm

If the drops recur Ollie, you might think about the powerline adaptor route. 2 adaptors only cost me about £25 and so far are working for me.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  FlashmanKBE Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:24 am

Martin wrote:If the drops recur Ollie, you might think about the powerline adaptor route. 2 adaptors only cost me about £25 and so far are working for me.

Martin (J)

Thanks Martin. I already have a UPS/Filter on the router, but that didn't resolve the problem. No, indeed it was the responsibility of BT, who have indeed now fixed it! Hurrah! Back in the saddle! And an epic HITS/GCM battle under my belt too! Smile
FlashmanKBE
FlashmanKBE

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down