Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» SOW Scenario Generator
by glennthom Sat Jul 20, 2024 11:36 pm

» SOWWL Artillery batteries
by Uncle Billy Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:15 pm

» Set Up for SOWWL NAPOLEON GAMES For Kriegspiel style
by Uncle Billy Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:35 pm

» The New SOWWL Is Now Available On Steam
by Grog Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:14 pm

» Grog can't make it
by Grog Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:39 pm

» Boxed KS set Wallington NT near Morpeth
by Martin Sat Jun 08, 2024 3:50 pm

» Help Request-Artillery Behavior
by Dutch101 Mon May 27, 2024 4:08 pm

» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

Statistics
We have 1577 registered users
The newest registered user is errik100

Our users have posted a total of 30522 messages in 2300 subjects

I forgot my password

Speeding up combat

2 posters

Go down

Speeding up combat Empty Speeding up combat

Post  mi98c10 Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:39 am

I've seen where several of you when you run kriegsspiel that to keep the game moving you take 10 minute turns. How does combat work? How do you speed it up?

mi98c10

Back to top Go down

Speeding up combat Empty Re: Speeding up combat

Post  Martin Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:01 pm

Hello

We normally don't use the Reisswitz combat mechanisms. They were no doubt accurate (or at least perceived to be), but were developed primarily for the education of young officers in a training exercise. It was therefore important to track both the detailed process, using 2-minute increments, and also the results of actions in terms of casualties. I’m sure this was instructive, and of course there were plenty of other young officers on-call to be extra umpires and handle the admin.

But it doesn’t make for a very good game. The admin burden is too great for the umpires, it’s too slow for the players, and the detailed tracking of casualties is not something that would have been available during the battle.

So we typically use longer turns – actually 15 or 20 minutes is more common for a typical Reisswitz detachments game. For combat resolution we use either a boardgame-type dice and combat results table approach, or just ‘free kriegsspiel’ it, with the umpires making a decision based on odds, terrain and any other relevant factors. The key thing is that combat resolution must be quick. Otherwise, you can have a fascinating situation in the umpire room as you all work through a detailed combat sequence, but outside the players are sitting on their hands as the game has ground to a halt.

Hope that helps, but keep asking questions if I haven’t given you what you need.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  mi98c10 Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:40 pm

I do agree with combat slowing things down. When I ran kriegsspiel at GenCon there would be one combat (minor skirmish) and except for the two players who units fought, the other players never saw anything. I was thinking about using the combat table in Strategos with an option I saw in an old issue of Minature Wargames (the issue that told me how to contact Bill Leeson and order Kriegsspiel in the first place) were you roll and can re roll up to your odds. Ie at 2 to 1 the larger force could re roll once but must take the final result. It was suppose to show of committing extra troops to an faltering attack.

mi98c10

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:02 pm

Yes, I sometimes use the Strategos combat table myself. I think it works particularly well for 1860s/70s games. Not surprising, as the rules were developed in America in the wake of the ACW.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down