Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» SOW Scenario Generator
by glennthom Sat Jul 20, 2024 11:36 pm

» SOWWL Artillery batteries
by Uncle Billy Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:15 pm

» Set Up for SOWWL NAPOLEON GAMES For Kriegspiel style
by Uncle Billy Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:35 pm

» The New SOWWL Is Now Available On Steam
by Grog Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:14 pm

» Grog can't make it
by Grog Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:39 pm

» Boxed KS set Wallington NT near Morpeth
by Martin Sat Jun 08, 2024 3:50 pm

» Help Request-Artillery Behavior
by Dutch101 Mon May 27, 2024 4:08 pm

» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

Statistics
We have 1577 registered users
The newest registered user is errik100

Our users have posted a total of 30522 messages in 2300 subjects

I forgot my password

KS Napoleon Mod 1.34 & KS SOW Supplemental Maps 1.24 Uploaded

+8
Charmead
Earl of Uxbridge
Miko77
DumpTruck
DarkRob
rschilla
Martin
Uncle Billy
12 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

KS Napoleon Mod 1.34 & KS SOW Supplemental Maps 1.24 Uploaded - Page 3 Empty Re: KS Napoleon Mod 1.34 & KS SOW Supplemental Maps 1.24 Uploaded

Post  rschilla Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:25 pm

I'm definitely a convert to the defsave process. Much simpler than the old way. I assume that the .bin file takes the place of changing the start time on the .ini file and deleting the previously executed commands on the battlescript? The restart.ini file can be activated and it will always read the last defsave which saves a lot of copying and pasting. Big improvement for MP.

If the detach/guard thing is a recent innovation that's fine too. I had just never seen it happen before but I was still using 1.31 until a couple of weeks ago. It actually makes sense:

For God's Sake be sure you do not risk the cannon.

- John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough

rschilla

Back to top Go down

KS Napoleon Mod 1.34 & KS SOW Supplemental Maps 1.24 Uploaded - Page 3 Empty Re: KS Napoleon Mod 1.34 & KS SOW Supplemental Maps 1.24 Uploaded

Post  Earl of Uxbridge Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:58 pm

Does the mod pick the weakest battalion, or the closest one? In my experience, the latter is the case.

On an unrelated note, will the AI-controlled divisions independently send out cavalry screens/scouting parties?

Earl of Uxbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  DumpTruck Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:48 pm

Does the mod pick the weakest battalion, or the closest one? In my experience, the latter is the case.

I think its both. It looks for the weakest unit within X radius (maybe 100 yards or something?)

DumpTruck

Back to top Go down

Post  Earl of Uxbridge Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:16 pm

That would agree with what I have observed, although it is sometimes frustrating to have a brigade’s attack strength substantially reduced when the largest battalion happens to be the closest.

Earl of Uxbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  DumpTruck Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:24 pm

That would agree with what I have observed, although it is sometimes frustrating to have a brigade’s attack strength substantially reduced when the largest battalion happens to be the closest.

Yes definitely. Sometimes you have a brigade with only 3 battalions and the artillery commanders take 2 of them lol. I'm usually content to let them have their bodyguard though unless I particularly need it, in which case I'll TC them.

DumpTruck

Back to top Go down

Post  Earl of Uxbridge Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:02 am

It would be nice to have the Guard behavior able to be toggled, rather than always being active. Sometimes the AI assigns battalions to guard duty even when the situation clearly doesn’t warrant it.

Earl of Uxbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Earl of Uxbridge Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:04 am

Have you observed either:
a) AI-controlled cavalry units independently sending out patrols , or
b) AI-controlled artillery units selecting “withdraw by recoil” when being advanced upon by the enemy?

Earl of Uxbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:42 pm

It would be nice to have the Guard behavior able to be toggled, rather than always being active. Sometimes the AI assigns battalions to guard duty even when the situation clearly doesn’t warrant it.
If you want to release a unit from guarding a battery just select the unit, go to the Orders tab and press the green Select Unit To Guard button. The unit will then be available for other duties.

AI-controlled cavalry units independently sending out patrols
The Ai doesn't do this. It currently has no way of using any information about enemy locations. This is part of the strategic AI who's code is in the game engine. This is one of the areas that can hopefully be rewritten for the next mod update.

AI-controlled artillery units selecting “withdraw by recoil” when being advanced upon by the enemy?
The Ai doesn't do this either. It's a good idea and shouldn't be too difficult to implement. Under what specific conditions should this be implemented? How close should the enemy get before beginning to withdraw?

Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:00 pm

I would think the artillery commander decision would be a function of the artillery battery’s own position, available supports, number and distance of enemy

All things being equal:

-less chance of withdraw when in better defensive terrain
- less chance of withdrawing when own potential support in vicinity is on par with what is coming at it

And if under Phils command:
- When away from woods always withdraw to woods
- when in woods stay there and haul guns up into trees by rope/pulley
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Earl of Uxbridge Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:10 pm

I have found that the “Select unit to guard” button only works temporarily for releasing a battalion from guard duty; if no other battalion is in the vicinity, the battalion in question will generally be recalled to guard duty shortly after being released.

Earl of Uxbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  DumpTruck Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:17 pm

The Ai doesn't do this either. It's a good idea and shouldn't be too difficult to implement. Under what specific conditions should this be implemented? How close should the enemy get before beginning to withdraw?

It doesn't? Is them pulling into squares something different then I guess?

As for when they should do so I would say it should be a certain range. Maybe 50 yards? What is the range the guarding infantry will move to engage any approaching enemy? It might be good to have the guns withdraw at the same range or so? That way the defending battalion can march up and the guns can withdraw behind it safely (providing guns can move through infantry, which I think they can).

Or maybe it could be different depending on stance? The higher the aggressive stance the closer the enemy must be before they retreat? On All Out Attack maybe 30-50 yards. On Regular Attack maybe 70 yards. On more defendy stances maybe 100, but that seems like it might be too far, but then I rarely put guns on defensive anyway. I'm not tied to these numbers if they seem too close or too far, I was just trying to ball park it.

DumpTruck

Back to top Go down

Post  Earl of Uxbridge Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:28 pm

Regarding cavalry patrols being independently sent out by the AI:

I feel that this would establish a "picket" functionality which is currently lacking in defensive positions. I was playing a scenario the other day involving Prussians defending against a French attack, and the AI reacted to the oncoming enemy forces when they were significantly within artillery range (only unlimbering the guns at that point), even though they had been visible for some time before that. Now obviously that was due to the LOS being dependent on the flags and not whatever is going on graphically; but, if there had been some sort of picket line, the force would have been detected before that point, possibly allowing the AI to take preemptive measures.

Having patrols sent out in front of the main force would allow for some amount of early warning (as was seen historically), both on the offense and defense.

EDIT: Alternatively, you could have the current scouting/skirmish companies be sent out on defense as well as on offense, although I'm not sure that they have the same enemy reporting implemented as the cavalry patrols.

Earl of Uxbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:29 pm

I have found that the “Select unit to guard” button only works temporarily for releasing a battalion from guard duty; if no other battalion is in the vicinity, the battalion in question will generally be recalled to guard duty shortly after being released.
I have never seen this behavior when I unguard a battery. Sometimes after a long period of time, (many minutes), a new battalion will be reassigned from whatever brigade happens to be closest and the battery is in close combat.

Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

KS Napoleon Mod 1.34 & KS SOW Supplemental Maps 1.24 Uploaded - Page 3 Empty Infantry not returning fire

Post  dran-yam-nai Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:45 pm

Just changed from 1.33 to 1.34

Notice that my infantry are not returning fire, this is all battalions in a brigade when AI is selected (white flag).
When Take Charge is selected using Take Charge All then battalions are firing as normal (1.33) . Has something changed or have I got a duff install?

Cheers

dran-yam-nai

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord Capel Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:20 am

dran-yam-nai I’ve noticed the same thing with units not firing but I’m new to this mod and didn’t realise anything was wrong. It has been frustrating ordering units around the map and then having to take command of every unit to engage in combat.

Lord Capel

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:55 pm

That's certainly not something we see in any of our games. Try downloading the latest Modules dll from the Discord channel and see if anything is different.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord Capel Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:18 am

I compared my mods with what I think are the latest  mod files on the discord channel. Are these the right (latest)KS Napoleon Mod 1.34 & KS SOW Supplemental Maps 1.24 Uploaded - Page 3 Mods_f10

Lord Capel

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:44 am

Almost certainly, the issue is incompatibility with the mods that you use (presuming you are activating the non-KS mods at the same time as the 3 KS mods) . There's some great features in the Grog mods but KS mod contains many formation changes too and much more. We play exclusively using the 3 KS mods running. Even the French oob mod will not be compatible.
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:01 pm

I think Grog is right. Disable the top two mods in that list, and the bottom one and rename the folder of the Sprites Mod so the "(1)" is not on the end (or even a blank space).

The Grog toolbar is definitely NOT compatible with the KS Mods.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord Capel Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:16 am

Grog and Mr Digby, you were right! The units are now doing what their supposed to. The game is much more enjoyable now. Thank you.

Lord Capel

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:14 pm

You have to approach the KS Mod as a "complete overhaul" mod and just use its three files/folders. Think (if you play Total War) of playing NTW III or DarthMod but trying to chuck in some key mods from elsewhere. The game just gives up because its getting conflicting instructions.

EDIT: Pleased you got it working! Now join us for some MP!
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3