Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

KS Napoleon Mod 1.34 & KS SOW Supplemental Maps 1.24 Uploaded

+8
Charmead
Earl of Uxbridge
Miko77
DumpTruck
DarkRob
rschilla
Martin
Uncle Billy
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

KS Napoleon Mod 1.34 & KS SOW Supplemental Maps 1.24 Uploaded - Page 2 Empty Re: KS Napoleon Mod 1.34 & KS SOW Supplemental Maps 1.24 Uploaded

Post  Uncle Billy Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:14 pm

I tried an artillery division with the batteries TC'd and had no problems with the guns routing. I tried TCing the battalion commander with the same results. What OOB are you using? In the 1815 OOBs, Drouot is the Guard Corps commander.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

KS Napoleon Mod 1.34 & KS SOW Supplemental Maps 1.24 Uploaded - Page 2 Empty Re: KS Napoleon Mod 1.34 & KS SOW Supplemental Maps 1.24 Uploaded

Post  rschilla Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:32 pm

It's one that I cobbled together myself some months ago.

The French Battery commanders are all named after French Canadian hockey players. ( Gilbert, Ratelle, Richard, Geoffrion, Savard, La Fleur, and so on. ) I used it many times on 1.31 by taking the French portion of the OOB and tacking on whatever OPFOR I wanted to play. Never had a problem with it until now.... and it still works on 1.31 and even works on 1.34 as long as I don't TC the Bn Commander. I'm tempted to send Drouot back to Paris to see his mistress.

I literally just finished a setting of the Wavre thing I mentioned and I had to break off because my ball game is starting. Drouot's guns duly followed him as he moved forward to join Suchet. Each battery was positioned and I even TC'd a couple of those batteries to see what would happen. Nothing happened. They sat right there. I did not dare TC Drouot. For some reason they do not like him.

This is weird.

rschilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:00 am

Upload a copy of scenario.cav and I'll have a look.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  rschilla Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:06 am

I've never figured out how to actually upload a file on this board.

I don't see anything about "attachments."

rschilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:18 am

Upload the file to a file host such as Dropbox or OneDrive.
Get a link to the file. With Dropbox, right click on file and click Get DropBox Link or With OneDrive right click on file and select Share and Get a Link.
On the KS forum, open a reply and click on the Insert a Link icon, (chain link with green plus).
Paste the file link into the URL box.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  rschilla Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:07 am

That looks simple.

Maybe in my spare time I'll build a radar set!

rschilla

Back to top Go down

Post  rschilla Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:09 pm

Okay - that wasn't too painful.... if it works.

rschilla

Back to top Go down

Post  rschilla Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:10 pm

But I don't see the link - so I'm wondering if it worked.

Let's try this

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3if8oiexqtixoa6/scenario.csv?dl=0

rschilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:40 pm

It worked. I'll try it out and get back to you.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:15 pm

The only problem I found with your OOB is the French Corps commander is set up to be a division commander. Fix that and hopefully your problem will go away. Even without fixing that issue, I could not make the arty division run away. TCing the battalion commander had no effect.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  rschilla Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:49 pm

Bizarre.

I'm going to keep experimenting with it. As soon as I get a chance I'm going to start it as SP and see if it makes a difference. The TC routine always works better on SP.

rschilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:39 pm

Ah, you're saying they rout in MP but not SP. I've been doing the tests in SP.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  rschilla Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:31 pm

Bingo.

Started the scenario in SP. Drouot had been sent to the edge of the map. He was no where near any of his batteries. I clicked on TC and 2 minutes later his entire force was still there....backing up Suchet's infantry along the river. No one deserted.

I stopped the game. Restarted in using MP and at the 30 second mark, TC'd Drouot, who was still well away from his units. Within one minute, his entire command had vanished. It looks to be one gun at a time from each of the batteries until they are all heading for the hills.

I am convinced it is an MP thing.

rschilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:21 pm

Found it! Indeed the problem is only in MP. Here is the fix: New SOWAiInf.dll
Download the zip file. Go to the KS Napoleon Mod folder and open the Modules folder. Replace the file that is there with the file in the zip.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Earl of Uxbridge Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:25 pm

Should this new DLL also be downloaded for SP play?

Earl of Uxbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  rschilla Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:35 pm

By George, I think you've got it.

I replicated the test from two posts up, pressed the TC button for Drouot at the 30 second mark and two minutes later his command was still there.... drinking wine and eating croissants while waiting for the Russians to come into range. A strange problem solved!

Merci.

rschilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:03 pm

Thanks for finding a problem, rschilla. Bug hunting is a crucial part of improving the AI.

Should this new DLL also be downloaded for SP play?
Yes. It is part of the official AI dll.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  rschilla Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:21 pm

1.34 is working perfectly!

rschilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:53 pm

That's great to hear. Thanks for helping out in the bug hunt.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  rschilla Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:25 am

Two questions.

What is the purpose of the .bin file on saves? BTW, I find the defsave process an improvement over the old restart procedure but .bin thing confuses me.

Second,  I thought you had dropped the captured artillery being added to the capturing side?  A British artillery battery foolishly led a column over a bridge right into two French battalions.  Instead of surrendering and having points added to the capturing unit they were assigned to the nearest French battery.  As you can see from the screen shot, Vadnais' Battery ended up with 13 guns.  He started with 8 just like every other French foot battery.

Thoughts?

KS Napoleon Mod 1.34 & KS SOW Supplemental Maps 1.24 Uploaded - Page 2 HNv0fYb

I think the board software truncates the photos but he has 570 men in the battery now when he started with 240. Also the legere battalion which did the capturing seems to have lost an equivalent number of men. I had not seen this before.

rschilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:45 pm

Artillery can still be captured by infantry, although it is much rarer than the stock game.  In most cases when the guns are charged, they will rout.  When they are captured, the capturing battalion will detail 15 men to crew it.  That has always been the case as far back as the Take Command series.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  rschilla Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:03 am

I guess this is what confused me. From the Original Setup thread.

20. Cannon capture has been largely eliminated so as to not decrease the capturing unit by 30 men. The guns will now rout before being captured. They can be captured while being routed but this will not cause the capturing unit to lose 30 men and the routed gun will be eliminated instead.

23. Suicidal advance of artillery into the enemy's lines has been mostly eliminated. Guns also will not fire when friendly troops are in front of them.

Since I have been playing KS this has been the case. Now I find that limbered artillery crosses a bridge and walks straight into the enemy skirmishers and a line formation behind the bridge. They get shot to hell, and then the flag changes from British to French without the white rout flag. The game assigns another gun to the nearest friendly battery, subtracts a number of men from the capturing unit ( so far, always the skirmishers ) and then the guns will move back to join their new parent battery but as far as I can see they never fire.

Again, as before, this only happens in MP because I haven't tried it in SP... (so far.)

While on the subject, another new wrinkle is that units ( under TC ) will suddenly be designated GUARD units and DETACHED. Under AI control I can see this but under TC I didn't do it. Worse. One such unit got positively stubborn about it and even when I changed it in a few moments it was back to GUARDING and DETACHING. I marched them off to the back of the formation so they had nothing to GUARD. I'll have to go back and see if they are now obeying orders or if I should shoot a few to "encourager les autres!"

Again, also under MP.

rschilla

Back to top Go down

Post  DumpTruck Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:14 am

In response to the Guard and Detach situations it might be the case that things are actually the same as they have been, but since the UI now informs you of guarding and detached units you are now noticing it more.  Guard has been a feature for a while and artillery commanders are hard coded to take your nearest, weakest battalion and have them guard the battery.  You can TC a unit that is Guarding and it will behave as it normally would under TC conditions if there comes a time when you absolutely must control the battalion guarding the guns.

Detach is a relatively new feature where when a unit depletes their organization and fails a certain moral test they will detach from the brigade and move to the back to regroup, fighting no more until they have regained 2/3's organization.  This can happen with an entire brigade where a brigade commander will detach his spent force to regroup it.  He will send you a courier when his whole brigade is pulling back.

Unfortunately a part of the UI now giving us the information of when a unit is Detached is a small bug where those red UI words will remain on screen when you switch your selection to a commander unless you select another unit that ISN'T Detached.  If you're uncertain, select a battalion you know isn't Guarding or Detached and it will 'clear' the red text.

DumpTruck

Back to top Go down

Post  rschilla Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:58 am

It's not so much that it is an irreparable problem, it is that both the guard/detach and artillery thing are situations that I had not seen before. Granted I used v 1.31 until 1.34 came out but I've just been reporting new problems I've observed.

I did take a brief stab at it on SP last night. The guard/detach thing happened but the AI artillery did not stupidly march across the bridge into enemy infantry formations. Instead they set up at medium range.... behind a forest but WTH. At least they didn't try the kamikaze move.

rschilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:28 pm

The Guard/Detach for battalions that guard a battery is automatic in SP and MP. You will also see the Detach label on the skirmishers that the brigade commander sends out and the cavalry scouting units. It will also show up on any unit you decide to detach from its parent.

You previously asked about the KSData.bin file. As it implies, it is a file that hold the data that is specifically created for all the units by the KS mod. The data is held in memory during the game, so the bin file is written every 3 minutes to store that data in case of a game crash or player drop. When the game is restarted, the bin file is read by the KS mod to restore all the units mod data.

The defsave.sav file is the standard NSD game save file and is created at the same time that the KSData.bin file is created. They go hand in hand. So if you wish to restart a SP battle, use the defsave save file and not one of the autosaves.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next