Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1561 registered users
The newest registered user is Captsmoak

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Campaign discussion

+21
kg_sspoom
Hays
Father General
James Sterrett
Richard
Hannibal
Wittmann
dan1066
CoB4thTEXAS
WSH Baylor
Leffe7
Blaugrana
WhiteFlag
mooreal
Uncle Billy
Los
MJ1
Ike
King_Rufus
Martin
Mr. Digby
25 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Campaign discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: Campaign discussion

Post  Leffe7 Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:31 pm

This mod of garnier sounds very interesting, I think I have to install GCM again.
If someone is available this saturday afternoon/evening I would like to play it in MP.
Digby, what is your impression of the AI troops. They dont know about objectives, so do they just wait to be attacked? How much stronger are they?
Leffe7
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:47 pm

Leffe7 wrote:This mod of garnier sounds very interesting, I think I have to install GCM again.
If someone is available this saturday afternoon/evening I would like to play it in MP.
Digby, what is your impression of the AI troops. They dont know about objectives, so do they just wait to be attacked? How much stronger are they?
The AI is extremely aggressive and almost always works around your flanks. I think its almost as tough as playing a human player when you use HITS because your own knowledge of what is going on is limited and couriers slow down your reaction times. In the two Garnier campaign battles my army has so far fought the AI has beaten me to a stalemate both times in terms of tactical position, pushing me back to my start line after I advanced about a mile in each case, but in both battles I managed to come out slightly ahead on points.

My campaign has big armies, 5 divisions a side with my army (Union) being 20000 men and the Rebels 25000. Each generated campaign is random though - I played in one of Hays games yesterday and his campaign has generated armies of only 2 divisions. I think in each case the enemy army is stronger.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:43 pm

I have been looking some more at Garniers SP campaign. I have confirmed that the players side remains consistent (same divisions, same commanders, same brigades in divisions, same regts in brigades) apart from where officers are casualties and then brigades get named for the new officer. Officer casualties are completely random BTW and do not depend on how close that officer was to the fighting nor for how long. I think there is something like a 5% chance of a brigadier being a casualty, 10% for a colonel, etc.

After each battle the player who is 'running' the campaign can go into a 'manage division' screen on Garniers website. This allows him to increase or reduce the volume intake of replacements (for his division only) up to a fixed total for each regiment in his division. It also allows him to NOT PUT INTO ACTION any or all the brigades of his division.

What this does is present us with the opportunity for a simple corps structure.

If the random generation of divisions produces a - Union army - 3-division structure, each will have three brigades and two batteries, looking like this:

Player Division

Player Brigade
Player Brigade
Player Brigade

Player Battery
Player Battery
--------------
AI Division

AI Brigade
AI Brigade
AI Brigade

AI Battery
AI Battery
----------
AI Division

AI Brigade
AI Brigade
AI Brigade

AI Battery
AI Battery

Confederate divisions have 3 batteries each, BTW.

If we then manage the player division and uncheck the boxes to not put any of his brigades into action, we get this:

Player Division

Player Battery
Player Battery
--------------
AI Division

AI Brigade
AI Brigade
AI Brigade

AI Battery
AI Battery
----------
AI Division

AI Brigade
AI Brigade
AI Brigade

AI Battery
AI Battery

This gives us in effect a Corps commander and a corps artillery reserve of 2 batteries ("the player") and below that two divisions each of which can be run by three players in the structure [Division Commander with brigade and 2 batteries]; [brigade commander]; [brigade commander].

This makes for a small 2-division corps suitable for campaign play by 7 players, which I think our group could sustain at a rate probably of two evenings play per week.

All battles generated by the campaign are 120 minutes long and seem to use only the 4 small Gettysburg maps (which is a pity). Garniers mod also gives mini-maps which are totally unmarked with locations. He also has some gameplay tweaks I am not in agreement with. I think we would need to look at modding his mod to give us better maps more useful to courier play and put back in some of the gameplay features we prefer like greater fatigue, stronger morale effects for flank/rear fire, etc.

If we get a campaign that generates 4 divisions, we'd have enough commands for 10 players which would be pretty spectacular.

What I do not know yet is whether the system balances the sides; that is, if we remove 3 brigades from the player side, does the AI remove 3 from it's side? If it does, the games will remain balanced, if it doesn't we'll have some extremely tough fights on our hands with six brigades vs 9. We could keep 1 brigade as a "corps reserve" to make 7 brigades vs 9 but that will mean the corps commander would be needed to watch over his brigade rather than be able to ride about and observe the battle and command it.

Another drawback is our 'corps commander' is actually not one, just a division commander and so cannot command any troops other than his own which is a slight hiccup. We could ask Garnier of he'd be willing to put in a Corps commander who just had a few batteries under his command, who would be AI, unless the campaign game does actually have a corps commander officer. Mine (5 divisions) had Reynolds as Corps Commander and he'd issue orders though they never showed on my map!
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Ike Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:07 pm

That's a very interesting idea, Mr. Digby, and I'd like to volunteer to play-test your small corps campaign.
Ike
Ike

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:36 pm

Me too please.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Blaugrana Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:40 pm

Me too, and thanks for all this research, Mr Digby.

Blaugrana

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:51 pm

I'm not sure what is expected from a campaign generator. The stock game will already generate a loss oob after the battle is finished. With that, a new oob based on those losses can be easily created. At the same time replacement troops can be added so subsequent battles don't become company-size affairs. That way the same player units will keep showing up in each battle. The sandbox feature can then be used to generate the initial position of the troops using this oob. A dice roll can select the map. Or am I missing something fundamental. Embarassed
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:19 pm

Well, its very easy and quick to use Garniers tool. You don't have to do any work but click a few mouse clicks and play the battles.

How much work is involved in the wounded, killed, invalided out, returning from hospital and new replacements calculations for, say 9 brigades and 6 batteries? I have no idea but I should think its a fair bit of work, plus finding a suitable enemy OOB to battle against in the sandbox.

I agree your manual method, Kevin, gives the full choice of maps which is a big bonus but is that enough to offset all the OOB work?
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:46 pm

I can write a small program that would subtract the casualties from the oob. Adding replacements could also be part of it. So the work in updating it after each battle would not be very great. I don't understand what you mean by suitable enemy OOB. Wouldn't they all be suitable?
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:13 pm

You'd need some form of balance wouldn't you? Fighting battles against sides far stronger or weaker wouldn't be much fun to play through for, say, six battles.

Have discovered tonight that Garniers game does use his random maps which is a bonus, and you get an army and corps commander each side too, so we could have a proper corps commander able to isue orders to any troops.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:26 pm

Sandbox mode allows for both balanced and unbalanced games by clicking on the "Balanced Forces" button. Also picking a corps or division-size battle always produces a corps commander that can be player controlled. But you already know this so you must be referring to something else.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Ike Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:02 am

If we're to have a campaign with two player-controlled sides, we need to have the same capacities you are discussing for both. If I understand Mr. Digby correctly, that's what he's referring to, having an suitable oob for the opposing forces, for each side I mean, which are put through the same post-battle process. If that isn't what he was referring to, the capacity to create and maintain oob's for both sides is essential to having players on both sides of a campaign.
Ike
Ike

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:03 pm

I was just thinking of our own 'quick and dirty' version of what Garnier has produced so we could have semi-casual games but with continuity for one side vs the AI.

Going back to the main subject of the thread however, a full player team vs player team campaign, what is needed is this:

1) A full OOB of both sides. This would need to be quite large (say a corps or more each side). Call it the Master OOB or MOOB.
2) The ability to subdivide cavalry brigades into smaller scouting/recon elements and recombine them. A cavalry division on each side with 2 or 3 brigades in would be the basic main organisational element but for the nitty-gritty of the camapign I would like to see players have the flexibility to break the cav brigades down to at least the regt level and send these units to different map locations. Even a regt might need splitting further into say battalions. I am not an expert on US cavalry organisation of the period but theoretically I assume a regt was 1000 men organised in 2 x 500 man battalions. Of course campaign losses would always reduce this but my wish remains that splitting down the brigades into smaller sub-units would be highly desireable so unless some kind of split/combine feature is possible in an SoW OOB, then some different form of organisation would be needed other than the brigade). An alternative would be a brigade of a single regiment, or two battalions with lots of small cavalry 'brigades' in the divisions. Not ideal but simpler. I don't have a strong preference how this is arranged, my focus is always on the results the system provides for the game.
3) The ability to select which units of the MOOB have met enemy units in a battle and create two opposing OOBs for that battle.
4) The ability to 'plant' formations on the selected battle map in locations close to those they would be occupying given the strategic situation. I don't need perfect X-Y co-ordinates but general locations to within a couple of hundred yards and unit facing would be necessary. Start time of battle, duration of battle and weather (sky graphic) also useful.
5) After the battle, dump the fight data (losses, etc) back to the MOOB and adjust.
6) Some form of bookeeping at regt and battery level to track the dead, severely wounded (a proportion of whom return after X weeks), lightly wounded (a bigger proportion of whom return after X days), missing (ditto) and replacements. The rates at which these return or do not return to their parent regiments being dependent on whether the battle in which they were incurred was a victory, draw or defeat and some factors would be dependent on a secure Line of Supply (replacements, replacing lost artillery pieces and ammo resupply).
7) The ability for all this to be regulated by one person (the umpire - who will not play in the game on either side. My assumption is this would be me) and for him to e-mail an OOB for a battle (aka scenario including map and start positions) to whoever is hosting that battle.

As umpire I would take a small inconsequential unit such as a general who had no command. This would allow me to give a voice briefing if necessary to each team before the battle starts.

That's the basic Product Description Wink
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  WSH Baylor Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:27 pm

For the record, Mr. Digby, (and I am not an expert either...) "...a cavalry regiment was composed of five squadrons of two troops each. In 1861, another squadron of two more troops was added. Originally a troops was supposed to consist of 100 men with a captain and 3 Lts." By '63, the third (or supernumerary Lt.) has disappeared and the troops were more "flexible" containing between 82 and 100 men. "The squadron organization was dropped and battalions, usually of 4 troops, were formed when troops were to be detached for service." As with the infantry, each regiment was commanded by a colonel with all the accompanying lower Company Grade Officers and non-coms. Both the Northern and Southern were organized along similar lines.

Hope this helps. For a quick overview, see Jack Coggins "Arms and Equipment of the Civil War." This is a great "overview" of all the branches and a handy reference - short and concise.

J
WSH Baylor
WSH Baylor

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:53 pm

Thanks, so 4 troops to a battalion and 3 battalions to a regiment with around 90 men per troop, 360 per btn and 720 per regt.

So we could have "brigades" which are actually regiments and field 3 x 300 (approx) men btns.

A true brigade would be about 3 or 4 regiments and a division I'm assuming about 3 brigades.

Thus:

Cavalry "Corps" (actually a division)
Cav "Division" (actually a brigade)
Cav "Brigade" (actually a regiment)
Cav Btn
Cav Btn
Cav Btn
Cav Btn
Cav Btn
Cav Btn
Cav Btn
Cav Btn
Cav Btn
Arty Btys as needed
Cav "Division" (actually a brigade)
Cav Btn
Cav Btn
Cav Btn
Cav Btn
Cav Btn
Cav Btn
Cav Btn
Cav Btn
Cav Btn
Arty Btys as needed
etc.

It certainly gives adequate game flexibility (I'm talking on the map - I have this feeling cav won't be used much in battles)
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:32 pm

Here are the full proposed rules for the first, short, small sized, test ACW campaign. I welcome all comments.

The Roamawk Valley Campaign, Spring 1863.

Map:

http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/22426/RoamawkValleySmall.jpg

Military Situation: Federal forces are occupying the Roamawk River valley. This location in the hinterland between Maryland and West Virginia is vital for the Army of Northern Virginia to pass through during General Lee's planned invasion of Maryland and Pennsylvania later this summer. In order to clear the region of Federal forces, a detached Confederate force has been ordered to sweep northwards around the valley to the west of the Appahenny Hills (columns A to D on the map) and swing east then south down the valley between the Appahennies and the Sanskyou River on the east side of the map (columns AO to AQ). Confederate forces may enter the map at roads G1 and/or W1.

The Roamawk River flows east at the southern end of the valley, its waters emptying into the Potomac some miles east, off the map.

A direct move on the Federal forces in the valley from the south, across the Roamawk would expose the attackers to elements of the Army of the Potomac which lies to the south east. The circuitous northern route has therefore been chosen. It is longer but more secure.

Union supplies and replacements are ferried across the Roamawk River at (O50) and (AL50)

Somewhere in the Valley are several military and economic facilities that the defending Union forces must protect. These are an ironworks, an armoury, a prisoner of war camp, a railroad yard and two supply dumps. Each of these facilities is worth 20 points. If the Confederates capture or destroy 60 points worth of objectives they will be awarded a minor victory in the campaign. If they secure 100 points, a major victory is awarded and for 120 points, a crushing victory of strategic importance is won. By keeping the Confederate points total below 60 the Union side will win.

Both sides are aware of the others' presence and general intentions, and that the Confederate force is numerically stronger than the Union defence.

Ground: The Appahenny Hills (columns A to D on the map) are impassable to military operations. From the southern end (H38) of these north-south oriented hills three fingers of high ground run broadly north-east. The main spine of high ground which is named Bickner's Ridge, terminates at (AK18) and a lesser spine, Apple Ridge, branches off towards the south-east, from (W29) terminating at (AJ42). The third spine of high ground called Spauler's Ridge runs north from (N25) terminating at (N1) and forms the east wall of the valley of Mule Creek, a tributary of the Roamawk (L47) to (I2). While Mule Creek is crossable in many places it is not normally fordable to organised bodies of troops and where the Bear Branch passes through node [8] it can only be crossed at marked fords and bridges, forming a considerable obstacle to troops here.

Away from the generally higher and more broken terrain of the western and central parts of the valley, the east is lower and more open with fewer woods, more flat farmland and larger towns. On the far eastern side the valley is bounded by the Sanskyou River (AN47) to (AP1) which is broad and uncrossable. Considerable areas of low-lying swamp line both banks.

One tributary of the Sanskyou, the Beaver Creek (AP30) to (AH30) runs north of the town of Avondale [15] and is only crossable at marked fords and bridges.

While the valley of the Mule Creek is mostly farmland, there are hills to both sides and smaller towns here. Bickner's and Spauler's Ridges give terrain that is very broken, hilly and with few settlements beyond scattered farms. The only roads to cross these hills do so at marked gaps which are easily defensible. To the east towards the Sanskyou River the land is lower lying with much open farmland and larger towns.

The presence of high ground (brown colour) and woodlands (green colour) is an indicator of more broken and wooded terrain in the nearby nodes. Uncoloured plain map indicates more open land, suitable for major military operations. It can be seen that Bickner's and Spauler's Ridges limit communications between the west and east sides of the valley to only a few significant routes.

The Bear Branch [8] and Beaver Creek [15] also offer significant obstacles and defensible positions.

The swampland of the Sanskyou Levels [6] [7] [12] is unsuitable for military operations.

In more detail the specific terrain in each map node is as follows:

1 Farmland – Random Map
2 Mountain Gap, Village, Farmland – Crampton's Gap
3 Farmland – Pickett-Pettigrew-Trimble
4 Farmland – East Cavalry Field
5 Woodlands, Town – Culp's Hill
6 Swamp – Olustee
7 Swamp – Olustee
8 Farmland, River Crossing, Town – Antietam (rotated 90 deg clockwise)
9 Mountains, Village – Turner's Gap
10 Mountains, Village – Turner's Gap
11 Farmland, Town, Hills – Pipe Creek Map 1
12 Swamp – Olustee
13 Farmland, Town, Hills – Pipe Creek Map 2
14 Woodlands, Hills – Random Map
15 Farmland, River Crossing, Town – Antietam (rotated 90 deg anti-clockwise)
16 Woodlands, Town, Hills – Devil's Den
17 Mountains, Village – Alpine
18 Farmland – Random Map
19 Woodlands, Hills, Village – Crampton's Gap (rotated 90 deg clockwise)
20 Farmland, Town – MacPherson
21 Farmland, Town – MacPherson

The Rules

Nodes: Each numbered square on the map ("node") represents one battlefield map from those available in the Scourge of War (SoW) series of American Civil War computer games. Maps are pre-selected by the umpire and located and oriented in suitable locations such that the terrain in the SoW map matches the type of terrain the campaign map suggests is most prevalent there (hilly, forested, open farmland, a large town, a river crossing, etc).

Roads: The black lines linking nodes represent transport routes (roads and/or railroads and/or rivers) that permit forces to move between them. For simplicity I call these roads.

Marches: It costs 1 "march" to traverse a road between any two nodes. It also costs 1 march to cross a node from an entry point to any exit point.

Timescale: Each campaign turn is one day. Each day a force that contains infantry or foot artillery may make one march. Each day a force that contains entirely cavalry and/or horsed artillery may make two marches. Couriers may make three marches.

Each two days a supply train may make one march. Note that this is not half a march per day since that would result in supply trains potentially being encountered by an enemy at the half-way point along a road. Supply trains are not considered to have arrived at, nor departed from, a node until 2 campaign days have passed.

Couriers: Forces that encounter enemy will report this information by sending couriers. Once a courier arrives at a general's HQ, he may issue orders to other forces to move in response to the intelligence received. Couriers may make three marches in a day and may be despatched at any point in that day. Forces will always respond to orders to move on the day following the arrival of a courier. Couriers passing through nodes occupied by enemy forces may be captured and their despatches intercepted. Enemy forces up to 5000 men – courier captured on a roll of 1 on a d6; Enemy forces stronger than 5000 men – courier captured on a roll of 1 or 2 on a d6.

Resupply and Lines of Communication (LoC): Forces may be resupplied with food, ammo, equipment and replacement troops as long as they are within eight days 'supply train marches' (how far a supply train can move in eight days) of a supply train and can trace a line of communications (LoC) free of interdicting enemy forces back to that supply train along the route they have moved. Forces that can trace an LoC may resupply with full ammunition loads between battles, replace lost artillery pieces between battles and recover casualties and stragglers at a rate of 50% per day up to their units original starting strength. Forces that cannot trace an LoC are deemed out of supply. Units out of supply cannot conduct marches, except to withdraw towards their nearest supply train, are resupplied with 50% of their expended ammunition between battles, may not replace lost artillery pieces between battles and recover casualties and stragglers at a rate of 25% per day up to their units' original starting strength.

Confederate LoC: From historical records indicating that the eastern theatre CSA forces were often able to march more quickly than their Federal opponents, CSA forces can be resupplied with food, ammo, equipment and replacement troops as long as they are within twelve days 'supply train marches' (how far a supply train can move in twelve days) of a supply train and can trace a line of communications (LoC) free of interdicting enemy forces back to that supply train along the route they have moved.

Interdicting LoCs: An LoC functions if it does not exceed its allowed length, and is free of all enemy forces, or sufficiently strong friendly forces occupy the contested nodes along the LoC. An LoC is interdicted (that is, the supply line is broken) if enemy forces occupy a node and no friendly forces do. If both enemy and friendly forces occupy a node along an LoC, then the side friendly to the supply line must have forces of at least 150% the numerical strength of the enemy in the node for the LoC to be maintained.

Gathering information: When opposing forces are 1 road apart they will be alerted to the presence of the enemy. A wholly infantry or artillery force will be told only that enemy are known to be in a certain node. A force containing cavalry will be told the types of troops (infantry, cavalry or artillery) and whether the enemy force is weaker, stronger or comparable in numbers. To gather more detailed information an infantry or artillery force must enter the same node as the enemy, whereupon it can learn the same level of information as a cavalry force (above). A force containing cavalry that enters the same node as an enemy force will learn (primarily from deserters, prisoners and local informants but also from patrolling) the general structure of the enemy (corps, divisions, brigades, batteries) the commanders names and a general idea of total numbers. If however the enemy force is stronger in cavalry, structure information will not be discovered and only an approximate number of brigades and guns will be discovered, plus a general idea of total numbers.

To summarise:

Inf/arty force 1 road away = enemy present
Force inc cav 1 road away = learns troop types and whether weaker/same/stronger
Inf/arty force same node = learns troop types and whether weaker/same/stronger
Force inc cav same node = corps/divs/brigades/bttys, commanders, approx. strength
Force inc weaker cav same node = brigades, guns, approx. strength

Combat, Forcing Battles, Retreats, Recovering Battle Losses: A force moving along a road to a node must state its aggression level for that move. This rates from 1 (very low; a cautious probe or recce) to 5 (a very aggressive all-out push). Supply trains always move at an aggression level of 1, unaccompanied artillery may not move at a level higher than 2 and forces without infantry may not move at a level higher than 3. If two opposing forces are ordered to pass on the same road, that with the lower aggression level will remain in the node it started and the more aggressive force will push into the node they occupy. Moving at an aggression level of 5 will cost 5% attrition from straggling. If two opposing forces are ordered to pass on the same road with the same aggression level, that with the weaker strength will remain in the node it started and the stronger force will push into the node they occupy. Attrition is still lost by any force that used aggression level 5.

Once in a node with enemy forces, any force may elect to retreat at once. A retreating force must withdraw down the road it originally entered the node and may not conduct a march the following day. A force from which the enemy retreats is free to march the following day.

A supply train may not conduct a retreat.

If opposing forces occupy a node then a battle is fought. The side defeated in battle conducts a retreat move as above, unless their path off the battlefield is blocked by the winning side. In this case they conduct a retreat move along the road that is closest in direction to the position they occupied at the close of the battle.

To end a battle fought using the SoW software in multiplayer mode, the side that admits defeat must announce this to their opponents. They must then immediately order the withdrawal of all their troops from out of small arms range of the enemy. Once the losing side declares their intention to withdraw, the winning side must send couriers to halt any advancing moves. Once all small arms fire has stopped, the battle is declared over. The host must dump the battle data at this point and forward it to the campaign umpire who will adjust strengths for subsequent days of the campaign.

After a battle the side in possession of the battlefield recovers 50% of their losses after 1 day and a further 25% after 3 days. The side which retreated away from the node recovers 25% of their losses after 1 day and a further 25% after 3 days.

To summarise:

Forces move along roads with allocated aggression levels of 1 to 5.
Supply trains may only move at level 1.
Unaccompanied artillery may only move at level 1 or 2.
Forces lacking infantry may only move at level 1, 2 or 3.
Forces ordered to move at level 5 suffer 5% attrition.
More aggressive forces push less aggressive forces back.
Stronger forces of equal aggression rating push weaker forces back.
Any force but a supply train can elect to retreat down the road it used to enter the node.
Retreating forces may not conduct a march next day.
Battles result when both sides elect not to retreat.
The defeated side in a battle conducts a retreat march.

Scourge of War Instability: We must be prepared for game crashes. We can only accept that these will happen and that when they do the action we take should depend on the stage of the battle we have reached. If contact between forces has not yet ocurred, the battle will be restarted. If it has and thus significant intelligence about enemy forces and dispositions has been gained, we will make the assumption that a heavy rainstorm has occurred of sufficient intensity and duration to halt the battle for the day. Both sides will be consulted and if one agrees to admit defeat, the normal map process will resume. Casualties will be calculated on the basis of the position when play ended. However if neither side admits defeat, night will fall, both sides will receive 25% returned casualties, resupply will take place per the map rules applicable to a side that does not control the battlefield, and the next campaign day will occur. This may permit reinforcements to arrive on the battlefield the next day. Each side may then elect to resume the fight, or conduct a retreat. If battle is resumed for a second day the two sides will open that day's fighting from near their previous days positions. The umpire will adjudicate such positions but generally a defender on good ground will hold that ground – though an option to retire to new ground may be offered - and an attacker will retire to the closest good ground from which to launch an attack the following day. If the ground permits such choices, the umpire will offer forces displaced backwards a choice of locations to retire to, though flank marches overnight are not permitted. Note that in the event of further game crashes, subsequent days' fighting may occur.

Garrisons: The Union forces are required to initially garrison several towns in the Roamawk Valley. Garrisons must be a minimum of a regiment of infantry or cavalry or a battery of artillery and may be up to a brigade. Confederate forces do not know which towns must be garrisoned. Garrisons may not move until a courier reaches them with orders to do so, except to move forwards to conduct scouting work, or to retreat along their LoC if attacked.

Objectives: On the map at various points decided by the umpire are three objectives. These are 1) An ironworks; 2) An arsenal; 3) An important railroad yard. On the map at various points decided by the Union commander are three objectives. These are 1) A prisoner of war camp; 2 and 3) Two military supply dumps. A node may contain only one objective.

The military supply dumps may be moved at the speed of supply trains but due to a lack of organisational staff these do not act as supply trains; they are merely mobile objectives. These mobile objectives must start in a node that does not contain another objective but may subsequently be moved into one. They require 2 days to be loaded onto wagon transport preparatory to being moved. Any order to move them cannot be sent out until the Federal commander is aware enemy forces are on the map.

Each objective has a value of 20 points. The attacker gains the points for an occupied fixed objective after holding it for three consecutive days (during which time he will destroy it or strip it of useful materials/liberate the POWs). The attacker gains the points for a captured supply dump as soon as it is captured (when CSA forces enter the node the supply dump is in and no Union forces are present, or they elect to retreat, or the Union forces in the node where the supply dump is located are defeated). A defender of an objective is assumed to have lost control of it if he is defeated in battle in that node, or abandons the node to advancing enemy forces.

Victory: If the Rebels capture 60 points of objectives they gain a minor victory. If they capture 100 points they gain a major victory and 120 points grants them a crushing victory and glorious result. The campaign has a duration of twenty-one days.

Map Node Names:

For ease of reference…

1 Reyton Court House
2 Marysburg
3 Catoctin
4 Snyder's
5 Witchburg
6 Willow
7 Plattville
8 Barkdale
9 Weston
10 Taylortown
11 Kerryville
12 Sanskyou Flats
13 Rotterdam
14 Hillsboro
15 Avondale
16 Wakefield
17 Pleasant View
18 Five Pines
19 Archers Court House
20 Benton
21 Athens

Last edited by Mr. Digby on Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Ike Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:44 pm

Looks good, sir. I still desire a field command with the C.S.A. Smile
Ike
Ike

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:23 pm

Yes it does look good. You've clearly put a lot of thought into this.

I am happy to serve in any battlefield role.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  King_Rufus Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:23 pm

Mighty impressed Mr Digby! So good that I will find my old hat and come out of retirement to lead our CSA boys. I am however unavailable Monday, Tuesday and possibly tomorrow Sunday, having supervision of the cotton baling.

Brig Gen Rufus "Yellowbelly" King, CSA (retd.)
King_Rufus
King_Rufus

http://www.kriegsspiel.homestead.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CoB4thTEXAS Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:23 pm

Nice job there Digby, i would like to join as an Brigade Commander in the C.S.A.
CoB4thTEXAS
CoB4thTEXAS

Back to top Go down

Post  Blaugrana Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:05 pm

Amazing campaign outline, Digby. I am in awe!

Happy to take part as a battlefield commander, Union or Confederate.

Blaugrana

Back to top Go down

Campaign discussion - Page 2 Empty hi

Post  mooreal Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:42 pm

im happy to play as a commander either side is good for me

cheers

mooreal

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:13 pm

Just had an email from Richard Clarke of TooFatLardies, who would like to play too.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  dan1066 Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:23 pm

Hello all,

This idea looks very exciting and it is something I would love to try.

I have no practical experience with a KS type game however so I would kindly request a 'less important role' preferably on the side of the Union if one is available.

Reporting for duty,

Dan Young

(p.s. - very creative way to make the map...)
dan1066
dan1066

http://www.tensixsix.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:33 pm

Thank you everyone, I'm adding you all to a list, keep 'em coming!
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next