Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

So long time no see...

5 posters

Go down

So long time no see... Empty So long time no see...

Post  kg_sspoom Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:46 am

So Im sure a few of you will remember me.
maybe even fondly.
I have been away for years and just re loaded the game.
Whats next? I know there have to be some great mods available.
Where do i jump back in?
kg_sspoom
kg_sspoom

Back to top Go down

So long time no see... Empty Re: So long time no see...

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:19 am

Hi there, welcome back. Great to see you, we are still going strong and lockdown has been kind to our numbers. We regularly get 6-8 players for games these days and one of our players, Ehey, does live streams of them.

The main 3 mods are in one of the sticky posts in the top of the SoW forum and you will also need the replay viewer which is up in one of those threads too.

A link to our Discord channel is also there, though I think you have been on there before?

In the Discord channel downloads channel are all the more recent updates but it might be better to join us at 19:00 BST, 14:00 EST on a Sunday, Tuesday or Friday so we can let you know which of those files you need. There are a few map updates as well that are more recent than the current mod version.

I was wanting to get in touch with one of you fine GCM gentlemen to ask if it would be possible to have a copy of the GCM2 code. I have been playing with the idea of converting it for Waterloo/Naps to see if it could get us a form of campaign system. Where would I go and who would I approach for that? Palmer maybe?
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  kg_sspoom Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:21 pm

Yes you would need to contact Palmer.
I haven't played GCM for a while either, but still have a solid core that plays almost daily.
kg_sspoom
kg_sspoom

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:34 pm

Nice to hear from you again. By all means, join us for a game when you get the chance. I think you'll find it to be a much more challenging battlefield than SOWGB.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  kg_sspoom Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:42 pm

I will, probably in a few weeks. I'm off the first week of July so I hope to be up to speed by then at least with the basics
kg_sspoom
kg_sspoom

Back to top Go down

Post  DumpTruck Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:02 pm

Hello! As I am a somewhat recent new-comer we do not know each other. Here is the definitive starting place for Scourge of War: Waterloo modding. If you've got the mod installed already a good jump in point would really be to go through the manual that is in the mod folder as a PDF in the Manuals folder. It's not very long and gives a good explanation about what to expect in game as well as some tips for commanding your forces.

After that I personally learn best by doing so I'd suggest getting right into it. Sandbox games are an acceptable start. There are several included scenarios, though they're a bit dated, but should still mostly work. If you set up a sandbox game with you as the attacker and the AI as the defender then you can essentially take all the time you want just marching around and learning how to control the different units. The AI will leave you alone unless you come near him so it's a stress free situation to see what formations do what, how far the retreat button will retire a unit, etc.

When you're confident you can command at least a brigade though the basics of an engagement feel free to come join us for a battle. Since you're a Civil War veteran it should be somewhat familiar to you. If you would like to get an idea of what to expect, wish to learn about dubious tactics, and happen to enjoy 4 hour videos here's a link to the aforementioned Ehey's stream, which is me. There is a cache of the last 2 weeks of videos. In our most recent one we were Austrians and I had a reasonable amount of action sent my way. If you're around when we're live please feel free to ask questions in chat if you have any!

DumpTruck

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:26 am

Ehey - kg_spoom was a veteran player of many years standing, he just took an extended break.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  kg_sspoom Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:51 am

In reality Ehey has it right. The game I loaded without mods is a far cry from what I playtested.
It will take me some time to get up to the standard I once flew.
I will be a knuckle head whose ability to command a regiment may be in question for a while scratch
kg_sspoom
kg_sspoom

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:09 pm

Did you play with the Waterloo mod or were you more active with us with our Gettysburg-Nap mod? BTW, sorry if I got this wrong but the name is Steve isn't it?
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  kg_sspoom Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:24 pm

The last time I played KS it was still using the Nap mod for Gettysburg.
I literally never even fooled with Waterloo after resigning as a tester.
Yep it’s Steve
kg_sspoom
kg_sspoom

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:58 pm

Well, you'll see some differences now. Things have moved on a lot. At first none of us liked Waterloo due to a weird choice of interface but after plugging away at it and cracking the mystery of the ai.dll file we now have a pretty good game.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

So long time no see... Empty Digby is still ALIVE!

Post  WSH Baylor Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:45 pm

WOW! Who would have thought that Digby would still be kicking up dust! That's great!

Baylor
WSH Baylor
WSH Baylor

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:13 pm

Good to see you Jack, how is life treating you, all hale and hearty I hope?
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

So long time no see... Empty Digby is still ALIVE!

Post  WSH Baylor Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:57 pm

Yes, I am in good shape......for the shape I'm in! Turned 78 a couple of months back, spent a couple of days in the hospital in Feb for blood pressure that was a "tad" too high, but other than that, "passing well" as Longstreet would say! LOL

Family is growing with new great-grandchildren. Son has just retired from his position as a school superintendent. Wife is doing well and keeping busy ..... with me!

Have been playing a relatively new American Civil War game called "War of Rights". Here is a link that I hope works. Currently on sale on Steam. https://warofrights.com/

Also playing Post Scriptum, a WWII first-person shooter. New map just came out on D-Day including the 101 Airborne where my uncle's brother was a Pathfinder and jumped on D-Day. It also is on sale on Steam. http://postscriptumgame.com/

Are you folks doing any SoW ACW?

Jack
WSH Baylor
WSH Baylor

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:06 pm

I am afraid I haven't played SoW ACW for a long time. The game is no longer on my PC. I think Martin James plays it now and again, especially his Sioux Wars mod.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down