Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1561 registered users
The newest registered user is Captsmoak

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

MP Scenario1: The Attack on Iuka

+9
ELement UK
Martin
Hays
Blaugrana
WSH Baylor
Uncle Billy
CoB4thTEXAS
Mr. Digby
Leffe7
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

MP Scenario1: The Attack on Iuka Empty MP Scenario1: The Attack on Iuka

Post  Leffe7 Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:52 am

The Attack on Iuka

I want to give my first simple SOW scenario a try. It is designed for 6-11 players. If we are less than 6, then we can still play on one side against the AI.

The battle is based on the OOB of Iuka (made by Zeke) but it is purely fictional. I will write briefings with instructions and maps for each side, more info will follow in this thread.
The US forces are in the role of the attacker.

I would like to play it this friday, 23th march.
7.00pm UK time: Arrival in the K/S teamspeak lobby - the corps commanders instruct their subordinates about their strategy (30minutes max)
7.30pm UK time: Game start (or earlier if ready).
Scenario length: 120-180 minutes
HITS and courier gameplay as usual

Please answer to this thread if you want to play, and which preferred side and position.
Deadline for subscription is thursday 9pm, so the corps commanders have enough time to formulate a strategy...
If you are not yet on the K/S MP E-Mail list, send me your E-Mail adress by the forum, please.

The available positions are:

CSA
1 Corps Commander
1 Cavalry Commander
1 Division Commander
+ more slots for brigade commanders

USA
1 Corps Commander
1 Cavalry Commander
2 Division Commanders
+ more slots for brigade commanders

See the later post for an update on available positions!
I will play too, but not as a corps commander Very Happy

Regards
Leffe7

Last edited by Leffe7 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:02 pm; edited 3 times in total
Leffe7
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

MP Scenario1: The Attack on Iuka Empty Re: MP Scenario1: The Attack on Iuka

Post  Mr. Digby Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:35 pm

I'll be there. Reb cav div commander please.

I also suggest more than 120 minutes duration, we've had several MP games end prematurely at 120mins recently.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  CoB4thTEXAS Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:47 pm

I'd like to take a C.S.A. Brigade.
CoB4thTEXAS
CoB4thTEXAS

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:40 pm

Unfortunately, I won't be able to play that early. However, if you decide to re-fight the battle this weekend, I'll be happy to participate.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  WSH Baylor Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:03 pm

Secesh Brigade, please.

J
WSH Baylor
WSH Baylor

Back to top Go down

Post  Leffe7 Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:27 pm

Many thanks for the volunteers so far!
Update: Most of the senior commands have been fixed now. I will play on the union side so we are at least 3vs3. More players can still join - the more, the better.

CSA
1 Corps Commander - Maj Gen Sterling Price [Mr. Digby]
1 Cavalry Commander - Brig Gen Frank C. Armstrong [WSH Baylor]
1 Division Commander - Brig Gen Lewis H. Little [CoB4thTEXAS]
+ more slots for brigade commanders [Ararog]

USA
1 Corps Commander - Maj Gen William S. Rosecrans [AS Johnston]
1 Cavalry Commander - Col John K. Mizner [Hays]
1 Division Commander - Big Gen David S. Stanley [Leffe7]
1 Division Commander - Big Gen Charles S. Hamilton [Blaugrana]

The map
Well, I have a simple map for the scenario, but it seems I can't upload pictures on this forum. Anyway, I will send it by e-mail to the players on thursday then...

Last edited by Leffe7 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:03 pm; edited 7 times in total
Leffe7
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:24 pm

I think you have to upload the file to some webspace and then link to it. I have some filespace if you want to email the map to me, I'll upload it for you. Or you could set up an account at Photobucket or somewhere like that.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Blaugrana Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:38 pm

Can I have a Union infantry brigade or, at a push, division, please?

Jeff

Blaugrana

Back to top Go down

Post  Hays Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:10 am

Can you put me down for a Union Brigade please.

Niall
Hays
Hays

Back to top Go down

Post  Leffe7 Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:01 am

Hays wrote:Can you put me down for a Union Brigade please.

Niall

Hi Niall,

I'm sorry, union brigades shouldn't be taken unless we are much more players. You can either take a confederate brigade or the union cavalry.
Leffe7
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:43 am

Leffe7 wrote:Well, I have a simple map for the scenario, but it seems I can't upload pictures on this forum. Anyway, I will send it by e-mail to the players on thursday then...

This thread gives step-by-step instructions on how to include a picture in a post.

It's just possible I may be able to join the game this evening btw, but I won't know until much nearer the time. In that happy event, I would be honoured to serve with either side and in any role.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:45 am

Martin wrote:This thread gives step-by-step instructions on how to include a picture in a post.
Whoops.........that's this thread http://forum.kriegsspiel.org.uk/t18-putting-an-picture-in-a-post

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:13 pm

The Rebs will need another infantry brigade commander, Martin.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  ELement UK Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:35 pm

Ok for one more guys? I need to try out this Courier thingy lol. I practiced it with the Gen height just above him. I will appear in the lobby and then if you desire, I'd be happy to take any brigade you guys deem fit. Maybe that Reb Brigade commander referred to by Mr Digby?
ELement UK
ELement UK

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:01 pm

ELement UK wrote:Ok for one more guys? I need to try out this Courier thingy lol. I practiced it with the Gen height just above him. I will appear in the lobby and then if you desire, I'd be happy to take any brigade you guys deem fit. Maybe that Reb Brigade commander referred to by Mr Digby?
You will need to download, install and activate MTGs Minimaps and Couriers mod, and have Teamspeak and a Mic and have it working.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Ike Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:07 pm

And you need to be sure that your SOW program is patched to version 1.04026.
Ike
Ike

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:40 pm

Elelemnt come into Teamspeak, our gaame is over.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Leffe7 Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:12 am

Thanks again to everyone joining in yesterdays Iuka game!

When we finally were able to start it was a nice 4vs4 and lasted 45 breath-taking minutes until the "bad frame in packet" bug occured. The good news is, that I don't think the bug is rellated to the custom scenario itself.
It' quite a challenge to lead a division in HITS style but fun.
How was it with the cavalry? I suppose it was difficult because every little order has to be sent by couriers.
Some ideas to reduce performance load: increase sprite ratio to 10. Reduce uniform settings to medium (rather ugly in HITS).
Leffe7
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:43 am

An excellent scenario Stefan, and many thanks for organising it.

I don't want to give away details, as you will be running it again in the future. I'll just talk a bit about my experience as a Union division commander. I had a couple of brigades and some artillery, and was ordered by General Rosecrans to follow our cavalry under General Mizner up towards the town of Iuka, which had been occupied for some while by the rebels.

I soon discovered enemy cavalry under Frank Armstrong on my flank, and deployed one brigade to drive them off. Meanwhile the other brigade under Sullivan was ordered to continue on the main road behind our cavalry for a ways, as was my artillery battery. Mizner and I the had a swift battlefield conference, the upshot of which was that he would manoeuvre to hit Armstrong in the flank while I pinned him from the front. This did seem to work to a degree, but also distracted us from our plan to move on Iuka, so that may well have been an effective use of the Confederate cavalry.

In my case it also took me away for an extended period from Sullivan’s Brigade, which blundered into a fire-fight with a much superior enemy force, nearer the town. I was alerted to this by a courier message from General Rosecrans, and hastened across country at the gallop to rectify matters. I was able to extricate the brigade, but it had suffered a few hundred casualties and one regiment had already routed. It would take some little time before it was ready to attack again. I am now wondering whether it will wash if I try and blame Sullivan.........

Just as I was pulling back, another Union division under General Stanley appeared to be coming into action. This piecemeal attack, entirely down to me err...Sullivan, can hardly have been what poor Rosecrans intended!

At this point the game froze, with overall losses roughly equal and each sides actual objectives not yet revealed. So I will say no more.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:52 pm

It was a fantastic game and Stefan should be proud of the design of the scenario. It seemed excellent, balanced and full of surprises and misunderstandings. I'll leave it to Jack to discuss the Rebel Cavaley experience over on the west flank Wink

The good thing about this scenario is I do not think much was revealed about what the two sides objectives were so it will certainly be replayable and I think could even be a fun game even if everyone knows both sides reasons for fighting.

As to 'Bad Frame in Packet' I'll open anther topic about that.

Thank you Stefan and well done!
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Blaugrana Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:46 pm

Thanks again, Stefan, and all players, for a very enjoyable game.

At some point I think we should post on the NSD forum as a great example of MP HITS & Courier, meaningful scenarios etc etc. I think quite a few new players would fancy taking part in something like this & it could help the 'recruitment' you were suggesting recently, Digby.

I agree that this will bear playing again (& again).

Blaugrana

Back to top Go down

Post  WSH Baylor Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:20 pm

I have tried to post a reply three times on this forum and none have gone through.

J
WSH Baylor
WSH Baylor

Back to top Go down

MP Scenario1: The Attack on Iuka Empty Ome more time

Post  WSH Baylor Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:46 pm

For the fourth and final time, I will try to post my response regarding yesterday’s game!

First, great job, Stefan! Hopefully we can get NorbSoft to fix the existing problems that will allow us to play unhindered. Keep up the good work!

Second, I have never commanded cavalry before and find, much to my dismay, that like the artillery, Norb must have depended upon a less-than-qualified consultant! Not only does the
“courier pathing” fly in the face of historical precedence, so does the “teathering” of regiments to the brigade commander, extreme “fatiguing” of the horses, et. al. I would hope that Norb would consider correcting these flaws BEFORE pursuing new developments.

Now, AAR: In accordance with orders from Gen’l. Digby, the Southern Knights of the Saddle set off to “disrupt and delay” the advance of the Lincolnite forces of opposition. Moving north along the Emmittsburn Road and arriving at the Peach Orchard crossroads, I immediately notice the commanding officer of the Union forces approaching on my right, unsupported within visible distance. As I entered the high ground of the Peach Orchard, I eventually saw enemy infantry advancing west on what I believe to be the Wheat Field road. Immediately, I forwarded this information to Gen’l. Digby’s HQ and ordered my cavalry to move south of the Emmittsburg Road. To say I was surprised at the appearance of the Union Division CO unsupported by his men would be an understated. In the interest of fair play, I did not order cavalry to cause him any harm. Further, to have infantry advancing without an cavalry support (the eyes of the army) was another surprise!

Having seen the enemy infantry, I ordered my force west of Emmittsburg to the high ground to determine, as much as possible, the size of the enemy force. At this point, the “teathering” became evident and those regiments that were not within the proper distance (whatever that may be) wandered off on their own! Nevertheless, I continued my effort to get the Southren’ Boys organized with varying success. As the Federal infantry pushed west towards my force, I looked for an opportunity to strike the Federals in detail. During the next ½ hours or so, some the cavalry and infantry were engaged in what can only be determined a draw.

During this encounter, it became evident that there was an effort underway to strike my left with the enemy cavalry. Again, I sent a courier to Gen’l. Digby with this information but have no way of knowing whether or not it was received. I immediately began a withdrawal towards the northwest to meet advance of the enemy cavalry. After traveling a few yards, it became immediately evident that the Federal infantry was withdrawing to the north-northwest in the direction of Emmittsburg. Seeing an opportunity to strike the withdrawing enemy in the flank, and perhaps even in “detail”, I reversed course and began a pursuit of their rear-most regiment…..when, alas, the game froze!

Again, congratulations to Stefan for providing an enjoyable and playable scenario.

J.
aka Baylor, Kerflumoxed
WSH Baylor
WSH Baylor

Back to top Go down

Post  Leffe7 Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:47 pm

I updated the Iuka scenario with starting locations and formations. Before that, I was only able to position divisions. Now it does work as designed.
From my side the scenario is ready for a relaunch.
Leffe7
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:00 pm

I thought Leffe7 said today... Smile

Last edited by Mr. Digby on Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content