Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» SOW Scenario Generator
by glennthom Yesterday at 4:26 am

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

» Scourge of war Waterloo remastered on Steam
by Martin Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:41 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30496 messages in 2294 subjects

I forgot my password

Napoleonics in the age of technology and streaming

+6
Grog
risorgimento59
Uncle Billy
DarkRob
Mr. Digby
DumpTruck
10 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Napoleonics in the age of technology and streaming Empty Napoleonics in the age of technology and streaming

Post  DumpTruck Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:28 pm

So I've been throwing around the idea of streaming our SoW games among possibly other games I play.  Of course it was obvious to me the first step would be getting everyone's opinion on this.  I'll try not to ramble much here but I have a liberal arts degree, so writing far too much on a keyboard just comes all too naturally to me as you have likely noticed in my courier messages.  Brevity is not my strongest suit.  Please feel no rush to address this topic and take your time as actually going live is still a bit of a long way off.

Why Streaming?
I know I have some of you that can relate to dabbling in YouTube and recording games, and as a millennial it shouldn't be much of a surprise that I, too, have made a YouTube video or few.  I suppose were I to seriously get involved in the streaming the YouTube channel would likely follow along but at least at first I wouldn't have YT be what I focus on.  This is because editing videos, particularly for SoW, can be a bit of a task.  Its sometimes hard to follow what's going on in a SoW battle in a YouTube with the occasionally low frame-rate and just the nature of fighting in the saddle in general.  I think streaming might alleviate this in two ways: one being that it showing the full battle from a singular perspective would be a bit easier to follow, and the other way being that active, and interactive communication with the audience in a live format as commentary and conversation might aid in explaining what's going on.  The other advantage of streaming is it seems like it'd be less editing and while I don't dislike editing, it is all the same a bit of work if its to be done with any amount of 'fanciness'.  Another reason for streaming over YT would be just the day and age we live in.  It's a popular medium (even though I don't really watch much live streaming myself, I do catch some clips on YouTubes and such) and one might argue as YT continues to fail to support its content creators: the future.

We also play games on a schedule, and as any streamer worth his weight in internet-gold, having a schedule is one of the most important things, so it feels like streaming is a decent fit in that regard.

The Actors or the Background
There's of course plenty of ways the stream could be done.  If you guys would prefer anonymity, or simply don't want to be on a live stage I'm confident there is a way I could have it be purely my voice and character on the screen.  I am familiarizing myself with the tools to do this, which have changed somewhat since the last time I was interested in streaming, but all the same I'm 99% positive I could mute the discord on the stream.  There may be other, middle ground options to handle this too depending on the situation.

Likewise, streaming might draw some amount of attention to the KS forum/discord and while a bigger community of people who appreciate this wonderful tactical wargame/mod we enjoy is surely a good thing, depending on how things play out, more attention isn't always better.  As such there's many options to modulate how we handle this.  I imagine at first I would likely keep the name of the group, discord, and forums to myself until I/we can conceive of a good way to professionally handle the potential attention.  Eitherway, this is surely something that will only come up further down the road if any of this is successful, as I have doubts thousands will come flocking right away.  However it is still a good thing to keep in mind.

I am an ideas man
I have maybe 5 edited YT videos under my belt, and one completely just a test stream from a few years ago.  I only sort of know what I'm doing.  I also lack programming and 2D art skills, so layouts/themes/whatever are going to be a bit stock for a while.  Fortunately the stream services tend to offer a good deal of default templates to work with. I just bring this up because I'm a bit susceptible to encountering a technological issue and getting frustrated with being stumped.  I'm far from a perfectionist.

I have quite a strong imagination, but again as a millennial I am plagued with very, very little follow through.  Even things I am passionate about often struggle to truly motivate me beyond the exciting emotion of hope and wonder.  This project, even if it is well received and supported might fall off the face of the earth.  There are multiple unfinished miniature armies sitting around my gaming room, and despite hours of hard and substantial work put into them, there's always those last few models that aren't finished (it never helps that the collection constantly grows either).  The reality is I guess I just tend to follow my muse and try to only work on the things that I really want to work on at the time, and unfortunately that focus tends to move around a bit, so this all may be a bit moot in the end, but only time will tell.

Anyway
Anyway, apart from the last bit being a little negative, I am inspired at the moment for a creative outlet so I would like to know what you guys think.  And again there's of course no real threat of any of this happening for a while, so I'm happy to let the conversation take its time and occur naturally.  No rush.

Updated Links and Stuff
Since Microsoft has dropped their Mixer support I will be streaming on YouTube now since I already have an account and setting it up is pretty easy. Plus YouTube will save the stream forever rather than only 14 days. Here is a link to my YouTube channel, hope to see you there!

Last edited by DumpTruck on Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:39 pm; edited 3 times in total

DumpTruck

Back to top Go down

Napoleonics in the age of technology and streaming Empty Re: Napoleonics in the age of technology and streaming

Post  Mr. Digby Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:30 am

An interesting idea and one I think could work very well.

I can see two downsides; one is that while HITS for a player is amazing, for an audience I am not convinced its very interesting, especially at the slow pace of our big 3-hour KS battles and the rubbish frame rates the game delivers. The last game as an example, where you rode into Novian and just sat tight on the objectives for a couple of hours would make fairly dull viewing.

Alternatively you could play but not have a command. When we play vs the AI there is always an army commander and a corps commander so if the team C-in-C takes one of those a spare is always around so you could take that slot and simply ride around observing the fight and commenting on it which might be more interesting for the audience. It would mean you were always at the best spot with good views of the hottest action.

Maps would need to be chosen carefully. We would not want to use one of the maps that has no buildings or one from Gettysburg that has American colonial style houses.

We could try a shorter game to begin with (say 90 minutes) on one of the 2.5 mile maps so there's action quickly. Scenario design for this can help as well.

My other concern is a technical KS thing which is that the rest of the players should not be able to hear you talking about the game because that will give away tactical info the team(s) should not be privy too. I know from experience that the sound set up of SoW is pretty crappy; Phil is often having trouble and I know that if I start a game with sound via my headphones and part way through unplug them to use the main speakers, windows is happy to understand the output source has changed but SoW does not and I then have to play in silence. What this might mean for different mics, channels and such for your commentary which we can't hear - and you still be able to hear the game, and your audience hearing it I do not know but some techy tests on that are certainly needed.

I think streaming the pre-battle generals councils over the map and OOB would be very nice to have as often these are quite a chuckle and the audience can get a better idea of the map, our forces and what the heck is actually going on. As plans are being firmed up you might even be able to sketch arrows of movement on the map. Likewise the post battle frothing sessions are always fun, with the replay and such.

Max I fear may have to be muted due to his frequent use of enthusiastic Anglo-Saxon four letter words!

Game crashes might be an issue. Would people stay watching while Kevin mucked about with files and restarted the game?

I personally have no problem with anonymity or advertising for the KS group, both the SoW online team and the wider organisation, though this is actually a question above my pay grade and something the Kriegsspiel Org administrators should discuss.

Generally though, if tech issues can be overcome I am in favour.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Napoleonics in the age of technology and streaming Empty Re: Napoleonics in the age of technology and streaming

Post  DarkRob Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:25 am

Just for reference, the few vids I did on the KS mod are some of the highest viewed and most liked videos on my youtube channel, even still today, and those videos are way out of date now. The audience is out there for it.

The best advice I can offer is find your niche, bring something to the table that no one else can(that shouldn't be hard for you guys, you are the KSmod experts), keep at it, and don't stop. It will not build itself immediately, it takes time to build up a viewership. And accept the fact that its a niche game with a specific niche audience you are after. You're never going to draw Fortnite or League of Legends numbers and its going to take time to reach the people who are interested.

It can be tough to stay motivated, especially in the beginning because, initially at least, viewership will be small. For me, the thing that kept me motivated was that I knew that I knew more about how to play SOW: Waterloo than anyone else on youtube, and I believed people would eventually come to see that. And I wanted to show what the game could really do beyond the hectic mess battles ended up being on other peoples channels that didn't know what they were doing.

For what its worth, I hope you guys do this. We need more Scourge of War content creators to keep the game alive. And even though the KS mod is kind of its own thing, its still part of Scourge of War. On my channel I would definitely plug your stream or youtube channel or whatever medium you end up using to help get the word out. Good luck.

DarkRob

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:35 pm

It's certainly worth a try.  I think the key to it being successful is to do what DarkRob did in his videos, keep a running commentary of what is going on and what is being planned.  Since these are MP games, one idea would be for the CinC, (Ehey), to move around to the various division commanders and interview them.  Ask them what is their view on the battle thus far.  What are their plans, their worries, etc.  If we want to keep the other commanders in the dark, Ehey could just drag the interviewee into a separate Discord channel.

It's unfortunate that the courier messages between the players can't be shown.  Some of those are priceless. The ones slagging Pat when he is in charge are especially endearing. Twisted Evil
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:38 pm

Players can screen shot their messages and maybe the best ones shown at the end. Trouble is a stream would have to have this done on the fly. On the other hand the players to CC every one to Ehey.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  risorgimento59 Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:28 pm

Maybe you could do that by installing (from the AI dll) a little detour/hack inside the game executable to intercept the local player received messages events.
Then you POST/forward their content, through an http request, to a text channel of your discord server readable by the streamer.
What are Webhooks on discord?
Webhooks are a low-effort way to post messages to channels in Discord. They do not require a bot user or authentication to use.
Just an idea but shouldn't be too hard to implement anyway.
And I agree it'd be rather cool to have those messages saved, one way or another. Laughing

risorgimento59

Back to top Go down

Post  DumpTruck Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:09 pm

Thanks for the responses fellas.

I agree there could be a bit of a slow game every now and then, but Friday's battle actually would have been an interesting one to get some feedback on.  As much as not a whole lot happened on my end, I think there was still a surprising amount of entertainment value to it.  While it definitely wasn't the most action packed, there was a timing to it that at least kept me entertained.  I was a bit out of position to be struck from the NE so there was a small cavalry skirmish that won me sound ground to redeploy.  It was a small action but without it I wouldn't have been able to get my 12 lbs into the position that then stalemated the NE enemy division.  But it wasn't long after that that another division showed up and was threatening my other guns that I had moved up.  I managed to get my cavalry to slow them but I still had to pull my guns back to another hill over.  Having stabilized that front I was still yet again surprised to have a few battalions marching up on my south, meaning I was nearly encircled.  They turned out to be regrouped infantry who didn't want to fight, but there was a good moment where I was very worried.  I was never completely certain I was going to survive that encounter and it was just well paced enough to be a pretty entertaining game considering how little action I actually had.

Part of what really draws me to the game, the mod specifically, is that there's a certain juxtaposition between the games.  Sometimes you get a really good, big action game, and sometimes you're just keeping the enemy busy for the gap to be forced somewhere else.  It makes me appreciate the big moments a little more.  I also think there's a certain entertainment to being a cog in the wheel, and being whatever part of the story I'm meant to be.  I can understand that not necessarily translating into an audience.  As it goes, under streaming I would definitely take CinC a bit more than I do, but I think there could still be good content made even on the brigade level.  And there is definitely a place for just being a camera man as well.

Thank you, DarkRob, for the words of wisdom. It's definitely good to hear there's a desire for this kind of thing.  I know I definitely have watched several of your videos myself looking for information from someone who knows what he's doing.

For courier messages I guess the best option would be to edit in any humorous exchanges that occur for the YT video.  It would be quite difficult/impossible to stitch them in live, though I do like r59's idea. The possible downside to that would be I would be able to see the messages so in the instance where I am commanding troops it might give a bit of information I shouldn't have. Otherwise they could be covered in the post game replay watch/discussion part, but it would be nice if they were somehow worked into the live timeline.

I have several ideas for the general's council moments.  A draw-on-the-map situation is definitely in store and should be simple to do.  On the extreme end of fancy I've had the idea of a nice painting of some generals around a map, and there would be some kind of UI element with general names that would identify which general is speaking so it's a little easier to follow along.  That however is a level of post production I'd have to look into.

DumpTruck

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:42 pm

You'd need a painting that had a Cossack in it for Kevin, some pretentious Prince for me with a huge hat and lots of gold string on it and Phil's comments could come in via an open window with a view of him outside pissing against a tree. Grog's character would be at the bar drinking and throwing the occasional comment over his shoulder between beers. Max would be "We need to **** these f****s and then **** them on the left flank until they're ****ed"
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:14 am

Gets my support. Good idea , Ehey.

A few ideas:

It could be supported afterwards with an edited Youtube Video, perhaps taken from the opposing side, if not playing against the AI. I'd be willing to do this Smile .

Perhaps one player could take the opposition, which might help ensure the enemy uses all forces (although, I know it generally does a good job these days, anyway). Perhaps, both sides could have an artillery reserve and or Guards/Grenadiers to use in true Napoleonic style. A mass battery would look nice, as would the Coup de Grace as reserves break through at the critical point.

If you wanted action early on (to help keep interest), the scenario could have a small proportion of both sides deployed for action or a short race to an early objective. The battle could develop gradually with the CiC, perhaps, running over to speak personally, as Kevin said.

Phil could play a live backing track on his Piano, with stirring Beethovenesque power chords, emphasising the drama of battle but followed with deep melancholy tones as the mass of bodies are strewn around the prime objective which is, no doubt, Madam Fifi's famed establishment Very Happy

Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  DumpTruck Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:23 am

Phil's comments could come in via an open window with a view of him outside pissing against a tree.

I like this idea. What must we make Pat's portrait be?

It could be supported afterwards with an edited Youtube Video, perhaps taken from the opposing side, if not playing against the AI. I'd be willing to do this

I had thought of, but kept forgetting to comment on, another upshot of it is all I must do is click a button and the whole stream will be recorded onto the channel. There surely will be some way to acquire a video file of it giving us twice as much footage to splice together and/or make a video of.

DumpTruck

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:10 pm

Pat would have to comment on the general's council from the very far corner of the map. Or possibly a different map altogether...
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:14 pm

I think the opportunity for a CinC to comment — from the foyer of a beautiful home with staff in the background serving wine to local quests —would be essential. For example:

“As you can see here I asked Phil to disengage a half hour ago. He said he couldn’t because he was being ‘ pressed too hard’ and ‘the artillery fire is murderous’ But taking a look thru my telescope here you can see Phil clinging to a tree for life as his staff is trying to pull him by his legs onto his horse. I can’t tell what he is screaming but you can clearly see his division idle, in marching column. No enemy in sight.”

Or

“Kevin has just informed me he is going to take out that infantry battalion in “old school” style. No point to it really. As you can see, the battalion is shattered and standing in the middle of a sunflower field. Almost behind our lines. Quite frankly I think it will not be rejoining the fight today. But you can see Kevin’s squadrons methodically lining up behind him. I could really use Kevin right now to support Ehey’s attack but you know Kevin. He said “Ehey will be just fine. I need to teach this infantry a lesson”

In addition to the social commentary like that there could be discussion of tactical considerations:

“The fact that Miko is now facing 3 Russian divisions tells me this other route to the objective is probably clear. So we are going to let Miko get crushed— it is all for the greater good - and let’s instead ask Martin to finish up his lovely lunch and send his 4 brigades right up that road.”

Or detailed discussions predicting future events such as:

“Oh we are screwed now”

and on-the-spot reactions to tactical evolutions such as:

“Where did THAT division come from? Oh crap.”
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:38 pm

Napoleonics in the age of technology and streaming Zaporo10
A proper war council table.  Is that Pat's head being held aloft? cheers
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:58 pm

Comrades

In an earlier post Digby suggested that this idea be run past the the Kriegsspiel Org administrators, and I can confirm that this has now been done.    

In the finest traditions of the Albanian politburo under the revered Enver Hoxha, a full exchange of views (and gunfire) ensued.

I am delighted to report that those club committee members who survived the meeting, were unanimous in their support for this fine project.  

Yours fraternally

Peoples' Commissar Burlington H Grumble

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:39 pm

To Grog’s earlier point and Kevin’s painting notwithstanding, even with streaming you can do some preplanned orchestration. Having done videos and post production work off and on for a long time there is much to be said for a little preplanning. Out battles have a certain rhythm to them. And therein lay opportunity for planning in terms of what voices you might want. Examples:

- the initial player reaction to the scenario itself.
- the actual player briefing by the CinC
-the CinCs thought on his brilliant planning
- the players reaction to the plan

At this point it should be a rule to edit out Kevin’s comments at this point

-there is invariably something when initial contact is established. Both at player level and CinC level
-there is often a point where the initial plan will change, a point where the no kidding “final” corps attack approach will be formulated. That’s anywhere from 20 to 45 minutes in.
-there is often a dramatic near final action. A final thrust on the farthest objective for example often originates anywhere
From 45 to 75 minutes to go

Not that every battle turns out that way but there often is a distinct rhythm and each of the phases, while not preordained, can often be associated with a distinct set of related questions to ask of the players.

Last edited by Charmead on Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Grammar)
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:42 pm

Splendid news.

Pat - I laughed so hard at your fine descriptions of our many brave and gallant commanders, especially 'Phil "uh-oh" the Dynamo'

Kevin - fantastic picture. Those fellows are too finely dressed and barbered to be us lot though.

Perhaps some nommes de guerre are in order:

Kevin "My cavalry cannot advance for an hour yet, there are three unpillaged churches in this town".

Martin "I am marching to the designated picnic venue with all haste, Sir. Do you wish to order the chicken or cold pork hamper?"

Phil "I was taking a whiz and my division took the wrong road".

Pat "We should flank march via *here*" (points on map to Newfoundland)

Miko "Wait. That enemy screen. Are they heavy cossacks?"

Ehey ... (have you noticed that Ehey just stays quiet. Very sensible.)

Grog "I forgot there was an objective"

Max "**** **** **** that!"
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  DumpTruck Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:46 pm

Some good points brought up.  In the instance where I am cameraman/CinC it would be somewhat simple to track where the pivotal moments are happening and view them.  Likewise as CinC it would be easy to recognize the change in plans and the final plan.  In the instance where I am a lower commander I think there's a scaled down version of those events that happen as well: an initial plan, first contact, a revised plan, the final hour.  I actual kind of wonder if brigade and CinC might be the two best seats in the house as far as action goes.  A brigadier might not completely control his destiny but when he's involved in the fighting he has a lot to do.  Divisional command can sometimes be a bit more about the responsibility of not getting tabled unless you're the pinning force.  Either way I think a balanced approach and incorporating each position is a good way to go.  One of the great things about this mod to me at least is the way each rank has it's own feel and pace.  Each position has different things to consider in different priorities and would produce a different experience and story to view.  In a Total War game by comparison every battle is pretty much the same, variation coming down to only the composition of your army and the composition of the enemy army.

I played around today with setting up some basic things.  Title cards, layout, etc.  I have also done a bit of fiddling with audio things.  I have attempted to adjust my microphone to not be so quite and hopefully to sound a little less tinny.   As for game audio, somehow I personally don't mind it that much when 9 battalions of German infantry are all playing the same marching tune but slightly out of beat with each other but I can see how that could be quite grating for viewers.  I suspect I shall turn down the audio from the game a bit, but I was wondering if perhaps I should have some music going in the background?  My initial reaction would be to just have some nice hopefully period music.  The advantage of this being both for 'immersion' I guess, but more importantly, I'm pretty sure all those Classical pieces have escaped the greedy fingers of capitalism, Micky Mouse, and copy right law and are considered a part of the public domain now.  One downside I can think of would be the video that is captured would include the music and likely be difficult to remove without sacrificing the audio, so Mozart's ghost might try to put a Claim on any YT videos made of it.  However the video file would also contain mine, and everyone else's voices in parts so worrying about the audio over top of it seems a bit moot anyway.

Finally, I attempted to establish a way to doodle on a map while we make our battle plans.  I expected this to be the simplest because the Windows Photo Viewer program lets you draw on it with a few simple but effective enough tools.  I've even done so for my own benefit before.  However for reasons I haven't uncovered the streaming program I'm working with (StreamlabsOBS) doesn't want to capture the Photo Viewer's window correctly.  I tested it with MS Paint and that worked, but I'd rather call that Plan B.  What I really want is a program that will allow me to just doodle on top of every window.  Basically like placing a clear plastic sheet over the monitor and writing on it with a wet erase marker, except the digital version of this.  Specifically I'd like to be able to be playing the game, bring up the in-game map, and be able to doodle on it with this program somehow with a hotkey or something.  This would make it much easier to summarize the situation and the plan on the fly to the audience.  Like a sports caster does when going over replays and stuff.  I'm thinking like John Madden going "Here's the line of scrimmage, they give the ball to this guy, he runs over here, but look at this guy he comes over here, blah blah sports."  It seems like this kind of program could exist, but I have to look into it and see if it is going to do the things I want.

I'm thinking perhaps the Tuesday game would be a good opportunity to do an early test if everyone is alright with it.  I just want to make sure everything is going to run ok for the full duration of a game (I've tested it for about an hour already).  This would also be a good opportunity to find all the rough edges and figure those out.  I also need to find out what the audio levels coming through discord will be like, to find a way to balance them as well.  It should help to hammer out the basic formula a bit as well.

Also many thanks for the blessing and gunfire from the Moderators!

DumpTruck

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:32 pm

There are 4 of us there on Tuesday I think, and I can put something together on a small map that lasts 2 hours. I was going to do a PvP 2v2 scenario but perhaps vs the AI is better. I can use a Peninsula map and we can be the Anglo-Portuguese. Do you want just 2 divisions or 3?

The map will be 4_PPT_Port_KS.

Ehey, how does this look?

https://kriegsspiel.forumotion.net/t2090p700-impromptu-games#27443
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  DumpTruck Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:21 am

That will do, Digby. If people want to I'm sure we could manage a PvP match as well. I don't see a reason it would be any more difficult though I suppose we would have to split up for the planning phase and having everyone present in the general's council meeting would help get more audio data. I imagine there will be more tests later as well, as I need to plan and figure out some hotkeys to make transitions easier and will probably need a few attempts to fully understand the processes of everything. It's nothing we need to plan around for the most part, once we start I won't need to fiddle with anything so we can just keep playing the way we usually do.

DumpTruck

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:54 am

Pat/Digby
Hilarious and yet so true in many cases.
Perhaps, if Max is playing during the live stream we could give him a beeper to sustitute his favourite words😄
Ehey, I'm sure you are already skilled in creating good vids but just some tips from my limited experience:
If using the telescope view, note that it is not possible to click on the viewed units flag or commanders to see GUI info. I worked this out when I made the last vid.
Try to remember to keep opening the map and perhaps use the mouse pointer to guide the viewers to your location and poi t-shirts of interest.
If you can remember, pan around slowly. I wonder if changing the control settings to slow might help??
Good footage of battle lines can be got by running parallel to the back of the lines and pointing the camera sideways.
Try to change your shot every 10 seconds or so, unless there is dynamic action occurring.
Mike

Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:20 pm

For battles where we know beforehand a stream is being broadcast we should use scenarios where the forces start closer together so there isn't 45mins of nothing but watching road columns marching. Or, if some units are far distant, Ehey is placed with a formation that's the closest in contact. Using the 2.5 mile maps more might help here.

I think if Ehey is going to put in all this work the least we can do is give him scenarios that maximise potential interest, that would include using more open hilly maps that provide good view points and fewer flat forested ones as well as those maps with the correct building models in place, not the empty ones or the ACW buildings.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:15 pm

One last suggestion:
If Ehey is commander, it might be worth being given the scenario in advance. In this way a plan could be decided in advance and an
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:27 pm

Accidentally sent before finishing post.
....illustrated plan could be drawn on the map ready to be revealed. Map showing the orders can be opened from the Quicklaunch tab at the bottom of the Desktop, immediately after viewing the original scenario map. The two maps will be centralised, which makes it look as though the arrows magically appear.
Just an idea, which I have toyed with for my next vid incarnation.
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:54 pm

That assumes the plan survives more than 5 minutes contact with the Generals Council!
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  DumpTruck Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:02 pm

I think there is definitely some element to doing the plan on the fly.  If there was anything to be revealed before hand it should be the map of the deployment so I can make sure it's set up for capture, but that's really not a whole lot of trouble so it shouldn't be an issue.

I don't think we should rule out the long marches completely as there's several good things that can come of them.  One being the opportunity for surprise.  Sometimes I'm settled in all ready for a long march and bam, the enemy is just 4 minutes in front of me.  That surprise can't really happen if I don't genuinely suspect a long march ahead.  The surprise of where the battle is actually going to happen is another advantage of longer marches.  On small maps with close enemies it's certainly easier to know what terrain is going to be essential, and it is less likely to be something completely different than expected.  There's something to be said about undermining expectations and a lack of predictability.

Another thing it can provide is tension.  If I'm getting messages about how I must go to X location post haste to relieve Y's division which is confronted with overwhelming odds it makes a certain layer of tension.  Summit1G is a rather big streamer and for probably a year or more all he did on his streams was play Sea of Thieves (PvE/PvP pirate simulator) where he would just stow away on other peoples' ships, hide by doing a sleeping emote behind the captain's chair for sometimes more than an hour, and then steal all their treasure.  It's an hour or more of nothingness, for 5 minutes of glory and action.  People also watch absolutely ridiculous things like a girl eating food for 4 hours.  She'll just sit down and eat an entire cake over the course of a day.  Granted I doubt we can pull off that level of sex appeal, I just think the people who need action constantly will probably already be watching Fortnite.  

There's definitely a balance to be had though: marching 10 miles with 1806 Prussians probably is a bad idea, but I think we lose something if we design deliberately action packed scenarios all the time.  The people who will want to watch this kind of thing will surely have at least some level of understanding of this period and I wouldn't think they'd be turned off by 20-30 minutes of a parade.  Plus a lot of those times I'm only marching with my troops for about half the time, the other half I'm out scouting friendly and enemy positions as well as the terrain in general to plan where I will deploy my own men.  

Until we actually get viewers to ask directly it will be hard to know and I know playing and watching are different, but what made me fall in love with the game, the mod specifically, is the way it doesn't treat it as an arcade battle where everyone runs at each other.  There's the delicate act of timing, distances, and positioning that so well emulates what a real battle might have been like.  At least as close to a real battle as you're going to get other than actually going out and reenacting, or until Kevin finally makes his own game.  I'd really like to  share what drew me into the scene as an honest, upfront view of what the mod is all about.  And especially until we actually get any viewers, I don't think we need to change too much of what we do.  That said, there are some small things that we can do to slightly manipulate the situation that we've gone over.  Such as me being CinC a bit more, and giving me the more lively command more often.  And using maps that have buildings is probably a good idea.

Edit:  https://mixer.com/DumpTruckGames?vod=259448855  The first test VOD is up.  There are some rough edges but of course constructive criticism and suggestions are more than welcome.  Should I make a thread for this elsewhere on the forums do you think or is this a good place for it to live?  I could edit the top post with a link to the VOD too so people don't have to scroll through the whole conversation.

Edit Again: I forgot to mention, Grog if you want to use this footage, or more importantly any future footage I capture for a YT video feel free to do so. I might from time to time make my own, but for the moment I'm putting my motivation towards getting the stream to an appropriate quality.

DumpTruck

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next