Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1561 registered users
The newest registered user is Captsmoak

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

General Discussion of the Future of the Swedish Intervention Mod

3 posters

Go down

General Discussion of the Future of the Swedish Intervention Mod Empty General Discussion of the Future of the Swedish Intervention Mod

Post  Jeanathan Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:21 pm

Hello everyone in the community.

I feel it is time for me to think about the future of the SI Mod and I'd like to keep the future open for discussion. However, I already know some decisions I'll make... I wanted to create this new topic of discussion so you could give me suggestions, feedback and critique in regards to my plans and what you'd like to see on the road to version 1.2.

I released a trailer a few days ago, revealing that version 1.2 would be released somewhere in late March 2016. I already know what version 1.2 will bring to the table, but I don't know what will be released until then. That's why I really need your feedback on the mod more than before. I need ideas, no matter how stupid they are as long as they are realistic and doable.

Now, I'd like to share what exactly is planned in the future ahead, and what isn't.

First off, the Swedish flag is going to be replaced with many new ones as soon as RebBugler has the time to do it.

Secondly, there are three campaigns planned. One of them I am almost finished with (the Stralsund Campaign), but I still have two campaigns left to make. These two campaigns will entail over 20-40 scenarios, which means I have lots of work to do in that department.

Third, a danish faction will be released with version 1.2. The faction will most likely have over 10-40 sprites and its own OOB, SFX and Flags.

Fourth, I plan on intergrating SI with KS either when version 1.2 gets released or after it does.

Fifth, I also plan on adding many more Swedish sprites, such as the Finnish regiment sprites and such.

So what do you guys think? Is there anything you want on the road ahead? Or is just scenario content fine until version 1.2 releases? Are there any issues you have with these plans? Give me your opinion in the comments and I'll get back to you.

Jeanathan

Back to top Go down

General Discussion of the Future of the Swedish Intervention Mod Empty Re: General Discussion of the Future of the Swedish Intervention Mod

Post  Mr. Digby Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:10 pm

I would be careful about adding many more sprites. These all have to be loaded by the game and the Sprites Mod of the KS Mod is already huge and is a big download. I'd just suggest that you look carefully at uniforms etc and try to go for some sprites that can generically represent several units rather than go for extreme accuracy in covering every unit.

I have said it before but I am not happy that this Mod overwrites some files of the KS Mod. I think it should either be 100% stand alone or be built into the KS Mod completely.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

General Discussion of the Future of the Swedish Intervention Mod Empty Re: General Discussion of the Future of the Swedish Intervention Mod

Post  Jeanathan Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:22 pm

Digby wrote:I would be careful about adding many more sprites. These all have to be loaded by the game and the Sprites Mod of the KS Mod is already huge and is a big download. I'd just suggest that you look carefully at uniforms etc and try to go for some sprites that can generically represent several units rather than go for extreme accuracy in covering every unit.

Noted. I will take this into consideration in the future.

Digby wrote:I have said it before but I am not happy that this Mod overwrites some files of the KS Mod. I think it should either be 100% stand alone or be built into the KS Mod completely.

Neither am I. Let's hope progress goes smoothly and we'll most likely see SI be intergrated into KS.

Jeanathan

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:00 pm

I particularly like the idea of including the Danish army.  In 1813 they fought alongside Davout's XIII Corps on the Hamburg front.  Some interesting small battles there.

I disagree with Digby re the sprites.  The more variety the better for me.  I take his point re the size of the KS sprites mod however.  Are there ways around this? Is it essential to merge the mods? Perhaps we can just have an update on the sprite side every few months etc?

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeanathan Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:54 pm

Martin (J) wrote:I particularly like the idea of including the Danish army. In 1813 they fought alongside Davout's XIII Corps on the Hamburg front. Some interesting small battles there.

The Danish are going to be interesting to work with. (Seeing how every Swede on the face of the earth hates Denmark and wants to see them burned on a cross (not really) ) From a recolouring point of view, they will be much, much easier to recolour than the Swedes have been. They use very normal uniforms when compared to Sweden so Denmark is all good in the uniform department.

Of course I would have to spend lots of research on Denmark's army and involvement before starting to create some Danes but my focus will be on Bernadotte's invasion of Sweden and the abdication of King Gustav IV Adolf and the rise of the Bernadotte dynasty. Expect a Denmark-Norway and France vs. Sweden OOB as well as the planned scenarios for the campaign of Bernadotte.

Currently my efforts are on finishing the Stralsund Campaign, fixing SFX bugs and researching the Finnish War of 1808-1809, since that will be the new theatre in the next major update (version 1.18).

Denmark won't be added until version 1.2.

Martin (J) wrote:I disagree with Digby re the sprites. The more variety the better for me.

I agree that variety adds more freshness and uniqueness (is that a word?) to the game. However, Digby has a point. The more sprites, the more load time. I've already taken Digby's advice before he gave it. The swedish regiments are all supposed to have unique colours, but I have to limit it to just a few regiments. Of course, in time, there will be more regimental sprites but for now it shall stay this way. Something you also have to keep in mind is that the game doesn't load all the information when you start a game, it only loads what the game requires to start. So I believe the issue isn't that big.

Martin (J) wrote:Is it essential to merge the mods?

I think it is for some people. Some people don't like the idea of overwriting something that already exists. I can understand that completely. If I ever were to merge my mod with KS, I would have to talk to Kevin about how my mod updates would work since from that point on you'll only get my mod updates from Kevin's updates. That is my main issue, but it could easily be resolved through discussion. Personally, since I know that overwriting KS files doesn't affect the game in anyway (other than add information), I can rest easy. Some people have a harder time dealing with that and find it annoying. It's understandable.

Martin (J) wrote:Perhaps we can just have an update on the sprite side every few months etc?

There are big plans ahead, you'll receive lots of content for every new update. Right now, I am planning on releasing a community update, meaning you get to say what you'd like to see in it. Currently no one has told me what they'd want in the next version so I am kind of doubting that a "community update" is such a good idea. It would work better if people would involve themselves more since it is hard to pull this kind of thing off in a niche gaming community as Scourge of War is.

Jeanathan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down