Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Peninsular War scenario game on Thursday 18th April

+4
FlashmanKBE
Grog
Mr. Digby
Martin
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Peninsular War scenario game on Thursday 18th April Empty Peninsular War scenario game on Thursday 18th April

Post  Martin Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:33 pm

Background

It is 2 pm on 15th October 1813.

The main Allied and French armies, under the Duke of Wellington and Marshal Soult, are facing each other in the western Pyrenees.

Our action will take place further east in Catalonia in north-eastern Spain, where a smaller French force under General d'Erlon is occupying the province and laying in supplies for the winter. The Catalans were not initially hostile to the French but, after several years of occupation (and taxation), they are increasingly unhappy. Armed Catalan bands of up to several hundred now operate in the countryside. D'Erlon is also opposed by a Spanish field army under General Castanos.

Peninsular War scenario game on Thursday 18th April Fourm_10

A bit about scenario games

These differ from the usual sandbox fight, in that they take place against a background of a defined military and political situation. This means we don’t need to use artificial objectives or points to decide the winner, so the teams can hopefully play the situation and not the system. The person running the game will produce different briefings for the two sides, which give them full details of their own forces, their assigned objectives, and maybe some intelligence about the opposition. The objectives may by asymmetric, and the two sides are not necessarily of the same strength. The briefings are sent out ideally several days before the game, so both teams have a change to discuss their plans. One advantage of this is that on the day there is a quick start, as every play knows his role and what his initial orders are.

This game

The game will begin sometime between 19.30 and 21.00 UK Time, depending on player preferences. It will last about 2 hours. To play you will need the Pipe Creek map extension, be patched to 1.6 and have the Road to Wagram and Peninsular Mod enabled.

If you are interested in playing, would you please register on the doodle link below, with any preferences re start-time and role. We need a minimum of 5 players but the scenario can easily accommodate more. Most commands will consist of a small division, but if we have enough players, it will be possible to command brigades too.

http://www.doodle.com/qp8bdt2kuexi2saa

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Peninsular War scenario game on Thursday 18th April Empty Re: Peninsular War scenario game on Thursday 18th April

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:32 pm

This reminds me, now that we have the Napoleonic Mod working in MP, campaigns are practical and one set in the Peninsular would be right up my street. Stefan's scenario generator and Hay's campaign battle casualty tool would make the admin quite easy. I won't derail this thread with more OT remarks but perhaps we could open a tentative discussion elsewhere?
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Peninsular War scenario game on Thursday 18th April Empty Re: Peninsular War scenario game on Thursday 18th April

Post  Grog Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:35 pm

Maps I did for a Peninsular campaign. Can be modified:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?t5ah229s96xl42g

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?loe09o6ze3cbltw

large resolution

mike
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:43 am

Mmm, thank you.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  FlashmanKBE Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:23 am

Grog wrote:Maps I did for a Peninsular campaign. Can be modified:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?t5ah229s96xl42g

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?loe09o6ze3cbltw

large resolution

mike

Those are nice Mike - we need to find out how many ppl would be committed to such a campaign!
FlashmanKBE
FlashmanKBE

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:52 am

Yes excellent maps Mike. I would have pinched used them for the scenario description had you already posted them!

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:41 am

Cheers

It was a lucky find. Unfortunately there are not so many high res on the net. I have the original too, if you want it posting?

There are a few sites that I know some of you are aware of with high res scanned historical maps.

For practical wargames campaigns of Europe in this period, I like these ones that are being used by some in our Napoleonic group. There are some mistakes on them (like Milton Keynes Smile ) but they would do the job.

http://www.murat.ca/maps.htm

Nice if used with layering capable progrm:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?gz1ua388id5jsd8

Just some ideas.

Count me in for a small command Very Happy

Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:43 am

Grog wrote:For practical wargames campaigns of Europe in this period, I like these ones that are being used by some in our Napoleonic group. There are some mistakes on them (like Milton Keynes Smile ) but they would do the job.
Yes indeed. King Rufus alerted me to these maps for use with an ECW campaign game. But, as you, say Milton Keynes does jar a bit. I may still use and edited version though.

Grog wrote:Count me in for a small command Very Happy
Splendid Mike. Can you complete the doodle please? With you and another who has expressed interest, that makes 4, which is almost as many as we need. But where are our CinCs and divisional commanders? Very Happy

Briefings are done and ready to go out, but I need a firmer indication of numbers before doing that.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:13 am

Sorry Martin, I meant 'count me in' for a small command in any Nap campaign.

I'm not sure I can make thursday's game, unless I can get home from work quickly (I won't have the car on this day). Still, a later start of 20:30 might be do-able or a lift home could make it earlier.
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackstreet Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:33 am

Grog wrote:Still, a later start of 20:30 might be do-able or a lift home could make it earlier.

Good thing the options for 8:30 and 9:00 are available - come on Mike, sign on! Where would we be without our grog-swilling cavalry commander?
Blackstreet
Blackstreet

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:06 pm

Bravo brave Blackstreet/Ollie/Flashman/Mavis etc. And I see you're prepared to be CinC too Very Happy

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:06 pm

I have put myself down for the later times. Still not confirmed 100% but I will have a word with the missus.

Not keen on taking command, though. After a 12hr shift in charge of a busy ward I'll have had enough stress by then Neutral .

A couple of bottles of grog and leisurely stroll around the Iberian foot hills should be nice calmer, though Very Happy
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:09 pm

Excellent. I'm sure we can find a small division for you.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackstreet Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:34 pm

By the way, it occurs to me that Gunship24 has put such a lot of work into this Mod, wouldn't he rather like to join in on some awesome multiplayer action? Does he grace these forums? Should we send him a message? He obviously has a passion for Napoleonic games - he's missing out, no? Shocked
Blackstreet
Blackstreet

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:57 pm

By the way, it occurs to me that Gunship24 has put such a lot of work into this Mod, wouldn't he rather like to join in on some awesome multiplayer action? Does he grace these forums? Should we send him a message? He obviously has a passion for Napoleonic games - he's missing out, no?
Indeed he is missing out. He has no idea just how good his mod is if he is only using it for SP. With humans controlling everything it makes the battles very complicated. Someone should invite him. I believe Grog knows him. Is he a European? The start time would suit him in that case.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackstreet Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:10 pm

I have posted on the NSD forum in my most impudent manner.
Blackstreet
Blackstreet

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:23 pm

Yes it would be great to get gunship involved. I asked him for modding advice a few times, and always found him a very helpful guy. He's based in the UK, so an evening game might be ok for him. Well done for asking him, Ollie.

I'm pleased to say that we have enough for Thursday's game, although we can always fit more players in. It's looking like a 21.00 BST suits most players best.

But gentlemen, I am still looking for a second CinC for this game. It's really not a good idea for me to take that role, as I designed the scenario.

Once this is resolved, I can email briefings out, and the teams can start discussing their plans.

Martin (J)

PS can you send me a private message with your email address please Steve, unless you are kg_sspoom, in which case I already have it. I think I have everyone else's.

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:09 pm

I have good news and good news. We have 8 for Thursday, which is very respectable for a weekday game. And a big hand for Hays, who has volunteered to take the second CinC slot.

Am working out sides now, and am hoping to send out briefings before close of play today.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:47 pm

Martin wrote:And a big hand for Hays, who has volunteered to take the second CinC slot.
Oh my God! The cat-herder extraordinaire is back! AAAArrgh!
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:33 pm

Team details, briefings & maps have went out about an hour ago, so if you've registered for the game and not received anything please yell.

I see one of the French team has just had to pull out, so we are very definitely still open for additional players Smile

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:21 pm

A reminder that we can still fit more players in for tomorrow's game. The French team is a bit short-handed as one of their team had to withdraw, so they will be especially keen to welcome any late reinforcements.

We will aim to meet on the k/spiel server at 20.45 UK time, and will be looking to start promptly at 21.00 (or even a little before if everyone's there).

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:43 pm

I plan to be there from 20:00 in case any players on my team wish to discuss since 15 minutes is not enough.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  kg little mac Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:59 pm

Meeting canceled. I'll be there.
kg little mac
kg little mac

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:45 pm

Whahoo! Thousands of Frenchies are rumoured to be flocking to the colours.

I think you should have the briefings, Mark, but if not let me know quick.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:51 pm

If the game is at 21:00 I may be able to attend.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next