Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Gettysburg game Thursday 21st February

+4
WJPalmer
Khryses
Grog
Martin
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Gettysburg game Thursday 21st February - Page 2 Empty Re: Gettysburg game Thursday 21st February

Post  Khryses Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:39 pm

Haven't been able to get into the GCM channels or subchannels - when I've tried, I've been told I don't have the permissions.

Could someone give a brief rundown on how I can get that to work?

See you all in 4 hours or so, after I grab a few zs...

The Weary Gen'l Khryses (home from the wars)
Khryses
Khryses

Back to top Go down

Gettysburg game Thursday 21st February - Page 2 Empty Re: Gettysburg game Thursday 21st February

Post  WJPalmer Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:48 pm

Khryses wrote:Haven't been able to get into the GCM channels or subchannels - when I've tried, I've been told I don't have the permissions.

Could someone give a brief rundown on how I can get that to work?

See you all in 4 hours or so, after I grab a few zs...

The Weary Gen'l Khryses (home from the wars)

One of us needs to assign you the permissions to get to the other channels (sometime ago we experienced an invasion of trollers who, as you know, are worse than Yankees!).

Shortly after you arrive at the "Entrance" of GCM TeamSpeak, I (or someone) will get you quickly fixed up. See you there!

-Ron
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

http://rwberg53.wix.com/adventure-images

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:29 pm

Here's a spreadsheet OOB breakdown with what I understand so far. Some of it is purely guess-work, so there is still plenty of time to make changes to line-ups, unit sizes & preferences, CinC's, etc.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vqayou8ydtrpmgw/KS%20HITS%20Game%202013-02-21.xlsx

BTW, Byrd was discovered lurking in GCM TS and has been semi-recruited.

WJPalmer
WJPalmer

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:56 pm

WJPalmer wrote:Here's a spreadsheet OOB breakdown with what I understand so far. Some of it is purely guess-work, so there is still plenty of time to make changes to line-ups, unit sizes & preferences, CinC's, etc.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vqayou8ydtrpmgw/KS%20HITS%20Game%202013-02-21.xlsx

BTW, Byrd was discovered lurking in GCM TS and has been semi-recruited.

Spreadsheet looks good to me. Many thanks again. Personally I'd like us to get to the point where we make one side secretly larger to increase the fog-of-war, in best KS tradition. But I do appreciate that may be a step to far at the moment for some, particularly newcommers to HITS, so I think you've pitched it just right.

If we get last minute joiners, do they just take a brigade, so we still get a prompt start?

Welcome to the Rebs, Sven. That'll teach you to lurk Very Happy

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:08 pm

Martin wrote:
If we get last minute joiners, do they just take a brigade, so we still get a prompt start?

Last minute arrivals can be easily included in the game with a division as long as game creation hasn't actually commenced. They just need to join the battle queue and be assigned a side. However, once the game set-up has begun it is cumbersome to start over, so someone beyond that should take a brigade within another's division. Making the game up should take just a few minutes.
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:13 pm

I find this thread annoying. All of you get to have fun today and I can't come out to play. Sad
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:24 pm

Uncle Billy wrote:I find this thread annoying. All of you get to have fun today and I can't come out to play. Sad
You will be in our thoughts Uncle Billy, which I appreciate will be of little consolation.

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:40 pm

Spreadsheet looks good to me. Many thanks again. Personally I'd like us to get to the point where we make one side secretly larger to increase the fog-of-war, in best KS tradition.

This is very easy to do -- in fact, no more difficult now than creating a balanced game. I believe the only missing ingredients are clarity on the nature/amount of imbalance, any additional restrictions at start up (e.g., frozen units, etc.) and victory conditions.

And, obviously, we wouldn't exchange spreadsheets detailing the enemy's precise OOB. Shocked
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

Back to top Go down

Post  Leffe7 Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:12 pm

Setup sounds cool, cu at 8pm then. I can play until around 10pm.
Leffe7
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:16 pm

WJPalmer wrote:This is very easy to do -- in fact, no more difficult now than creating a balanced game. I believe the only missing ingredients are clarity on the nature/amount of imbalance, any additional restrictions at start up (e.g., frozen units, etc.) and victory conditions.

And, obviously, we wouldn't exchange spreadsheets detailing the enemy's precise OOB. Shocked
That's good. Sounds like it would give us much of the bang-for-the-buck of a scenario game, but be much much quicker & easier to set-up.

Perhaps we can Skype about it sometime? You probably have a much better idea than I on how receptive the GCM/HITS crowd will be to the idea.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:18 pm

Leffe7 wrote:Setup sounds cool, cu at 8pm then. I can play until around 10pm.
Ok so a prompt start is important. Oh hang on a minute....you're on the other side Very Happy

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackstreet Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:18 pm

Ok, I'll be there at 8. Sorry I missed the discussions - putting my boy to bed now...
Blackstreet
Blackstreet

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackstreet Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:01 pm

Sirs,

I submit my report of the battle which took place around the Boykin farm, on the 21st February 1863.

http://www.sowmp.com/gcm/battles/battle/14716

I was in command of two Confederate Corps. First Corps consisted of Blackstones and Khryses divisions. Second Corps, lead by General Palmer, consisted of Palmer's and Leffe's divisions. Our Army started East of the main objective. I instructed first Corps to move and seize the main objective, while Palmer's corps was to move N of the objective, near Collins farm. At this stage we knew not where the enemy lay.

As Blackstone's division approached the open ground around the objective, I could see Union infantry moving through the woods, and I instructed Blackstone to move SW, to seize the second objective, while instructing Gen Khryses to continue W, and hold the 1st objective. Blackstone brought his two brigades up in double line, and proceeded to commit his brigades piecemeal against the enemy. Meanwhile, the enemy had positioned their guns on a rise in front of a strong wall of infantry.

http://www.sowmp.com/gcm/battles/screenshots/14716

Blackstone's division was fairly well massacred by this approach. I instructed General Khryses to move up on the right of Blackstone, and he was able to harrass the enemy left, but the enemy had a second division here. Soon after this, General Palmer (whom I had requested to start moving South from his position at Collins) reported that his division was coming up, as was Leffe's. I instructed Palmer to Blackstone's left, which I could see was under threat, and gave Leffe instructions to stay in reserve. Since Khryses was making good progress on the right, I committed Leffe to the Left of Palmer, where it appeared the enemy were preparing for a significant attack.

While I believe these positions were sound, Blackstone's mishandling of his division caused the centre to collapse. This put significant extra strain upon Palmer and Khryses, who were requested to begin falling back, which they were able to do. However, the enemy had managed to take too much ground, and their attacks had severely depleted our numbers.

I then received the sad news that General Khryses had received a serious bullet wound, and was incapacitated. The command of the right became somewhat less reliable after this, as a junior officer attempted to take command. I rode over to General Palmer on my left, who informed me that he did not believe that his Corps was able to counter attack and reobtain the objectives. I therefore ordered a general retreat from the area.

I have advised General Blackstone that he spend some time reading the theory of handling a division, and have temporarily suspended him of his divisional command.

I remain respectfully, your obedient servant,

Blackstreet
Blackstreet
Blackstreet

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:50 pm

Another excellent game. Thanks to all, and especially Ron, for organising it.

General Blackstone expressed similar sentiments after the game, but the rest of us felt he was being too hard on himself. The CinC role is difficult enough - most of us shuffle nervously and look at our feet when volunteers are requested. In this case, Blackstone was trying to control a full division as well, and moreover one which was in the thick of the action early on.

Question for Ron. Is there a way to print off a copy of the map we'll be using before we start to play? I find it helps to mark-up a map with washable pens when I play.

Martin (J)

Last edited by Martin on Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:43 pm

Martin wrote: Question for Ron. Is there a way to print off a copy of the map we'll be using before we start to play? I find it helps to mark-up a map with washable pens when I play.

Great question. In fact, there is. I'll post a link over in the HG 8 Sign-up thread where everyone can get a preview of the Richmond, KY area battlefield upon which Saturday's game will be decided.

-Ron
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:49 pm

Thanks Ron. That's a really nice-looking map, with a more realistic overall landscape than some of the other random ones. Garnier is really producing some great stuff for us and it gets better each time.

Only wish I could play in this one, but fear I cannot.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2