Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:24 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

» Scourge of war Waterloo remastered on Steam
by Martin Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:41 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30495 messages in 2294 subjects

I forgot my password

Player AI pushing squares at cavalry

4 posters

Go down

Player AI pushing squares at cavalry Empty Player AI pushing squares at cavalry

Post  DumpTruck Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:24 pm

Is there a reason the player forces under AI control don't push themselves in square towards cavalry? Is there a way we could put that behavior on a button? Or maybe to avoid another button in an already busy UI the advancing towards cavalry in square behavior might be enabled if the brigade is in a certain aggressive stance like All Out or Attack? This way if you don't want your men to push cavalry for any reason (enemy supporting infantry, guns, etc) then you could set them to a defensive stance and they won't, but if you did want them to try and push up then you could set them to Attack and they would go.

DumpTruck

Back to top Go down

Player AI pushing squares at cavalry Empty Re: Player AI pushing squares at cavalry

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:11 pm

Initially, the player btns. would automatically advance, just like the AI controlled squares. However after playing a few games, it was decided that there are too many times when we don't want the squares to drive off the cavalry but just stay put. TCing them isn't always optimal because when the cavalry is gone, the squares are a high priority artillery target and it is best that they come out of square.

It would not be hard to implement what you suggest, i.e. allow them to advance while in an aggressive stance.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Player AI pushing squares at cavalry Empty Re: Player AI pushing squares at cavalry

Post  Charmead Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:57 am

I am all for that.
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:48 pm

would that be under tc'd brigade commander, un-TCd or both tc'd and un tc'd? anyway if that's possible to control with the brigade stance then I can't wait to use it. I've been trying to take brigade on attack stance and form squares at the brigade level but that wouldn't work as I hoped for...
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:11 pm

It would be only for non-TC'd brigade commanders. TC'd ones don't have a stance.

There is a brigade level square formation, but it orders the individual btns. into squares with each one in a particular location, like any other brigade formation. It's OK to use when the brigade is far from the action and has the time to rearrange itself into the proper locations. Otherwise, it just creates a mess. I never use it.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:37 pm

wait wait.. you're saying it doesn't matter which stance I choose for my TC'd brigade commander at all? or only in that instance?
Yes, I did use the brigade level Square - and yes they do some repositioning but once in position I hoped I could move whole brigade against cavalry... but I think that individual battalions would still stop and refuse to move closer... could that be applied?

So if used with un-TC'd brigade commander would formation matter or would brigade commander choose it on his own? Or brigade commander just issues individual orders to battalions just like human player would do?
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:25 pm

wait wait.. you're saying it doesn't matter which stance I choose for my TC'd brigade commander at all? or only in that instance?
Tc'd commanders never have a stance.  Even if you select a stance, it is ignored by the game.

So if used with un-TC'd brigade commander would formation matter or would brigade commander choose it on his own? Or brigade commander just issues individual orders to battalions just like human player would do?
The decision to advance a btn. square towards the cavalry is made by the btn. commander, not the brigade commander.  With the new code that I just wrote, players should see their btn. squares advance if the brigade cmdr. is not TC'd and he has a stance of attack or all out attack. TC'd btns. will not advance.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:25 pm

okay... so If I use the TC'd brigade commander and use the square formation, then now there is a chance that the battalions would march towards cavalry if I give an order to that brigade commander to move closer to the cavalry?
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  DumpTruck Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:56 pm

okay... so If I use the TC'd brigade commander and use the square formation, then now there is a chance that the battalions would march towards cavalry if I give an order to that brigade commander to move closer to the cavalry?

I think if I understand it the TC'd brigade won't see any change from previous behavior, so if the brigade commander is TC'd it won't move squares. If the commander is not TC'd and in Attack of All Out Attack his battalions will move towards cavalry if they see it.

DumpTruck

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:20 pm

Ehey is correct. TC'd commanders don't have a stance so the btns. will not advance on the cavalry.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down