Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» SOW Scenario Generator
by glennthom Yesterday at 4:26 am

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

» Scourge of war Waterloo remastered on Steam
by Martin Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:41 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30496 messages in 2294 subjects

I forgot my password

Possible bug in new infantry AI

+2
Uncle Billy
Earl of Uxbridge
6 posters

Go down

Possible bug in new infantry AI Empty Possible bug in new infantry AI

Post  Earl of Uxbridge Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:27 am

There may be issues in the new AI logic regarding infantry actions. I have been running through the linked scenario (cavalry against an infantry square) with both the 1.31 DLL and the "1.32" DLL, and have obtained significantly different results. In particular, the new AI ("1.32") appears to not recognize that it is being engaged, which results in the squares remaining in place until they rout due to a certain percentage of casualties. This behavior is not seen using the 1.31 AI; with 1.31, the squares retreat and reform repeatedly, as would be expected.

This appears to be similar to what was being described in Friday's match (in the AAR thread).

I have put a link below leading to a save-file of "French Scenario 6" from the KS scenario pack, with the player's commander being in charge of a cavalry brigade against several Austrian battalions in square. In order to compare the two AI versions, I simply swapped one or the other DLL into the "Modules" subfolder of the KS mod as needed.

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5yn3qjkuh6b2r89/French%20Scenario%206%20-%20Cavalry%20vs%20Infantry%20Squares.SAV?dl=0

Earl of Uxbridge

Back to top Go down

Possible bug in new infantry AI Empty Re: Possible bug in new infantry AI

Post  Uncle Billy Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:44 pm

I'm surprised that could be done. The two versions are significantly different that I'd expect the game to crash.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Earl of Uxbridge Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:30 pm

But swapping the DLLs is all that needs to be done to change the AI version being used in general, correct?

However, it’s possible that this behavior was intentional and not a glitch/bug, given your post. If so, my apologies.

If you could take the time to review the savegame to confirm (with both DLLs), I would very much appreciate it Smile

Earl of Uxbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Earl of Uxbridge Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:04 am

I think I've found what is causing this behavior. The Austrian OOB for this scenario (at least the brigade that I was going up against) seems to inconsistently assign weapons; when I played as the opposing (Austrian) brigade commander, my battalions had either weapons with 0/0/0 for all ranges or a reload time of 0 seconds, although the label was correct. This would account for the targeting behavior I observed, where the advancing cavalry were classed as "Visible" but not "Valid Targets" despite being within 15 yards.

Additionally, the weapon label changed between runs, sometimes being the regular Infanteriegewehr 1798 and sometimes the skirmish variant.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Earl of Uxbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:33 pm

You must have had some mod active that overwrote the KS values.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Earl of Uxbridge Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:55 pm

Other brigades in the same division have normal weapons stats, which makes me think it might be something in the specific OOB for this scenario.

This still is the case with just the three KS mod components selected.

EDIT: This problem appears to be occurring for the 1st brigade in each division (in the order that brigades are listed in the OOB).

Earl of Uxbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:20 pm

Kevin - there is an error in scenario.csv. Do you recall a couple of those early Peninsular campaign scenarios I made where the Spanish would not shoot? Same problem here.

@ Earl of Uxbridge - thank you for bringing this to our attention, we'll get it fixed asap. For now you can open scenario.csv for this battle using Excel and in column M for every entry of "IDS_ARSN_Infanteriegewehr_M_1798" (there are 35 of them) DELETE THE TRAILING SPACE AFTER '1798'.

That will fix it.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Earl of Uxbridge Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:46 pm

Yes, that did the trick - my cavalry brigade was promptly routed by the infantry squares when they were able to fire back, as could be expected.

Thanks for looking into it.

Edit: is it possible that a similar issue could have been the cause of the behavior mentioned in the AAR thread?

Earl of Uxbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  parmenio Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:10 am

The same trailing space issue is also present in KSFrenchScenario7 and KSRussianScenario2.

parmenio

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:01 pm

Thanks. Looks like some general housekeeping is in order.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincent6691 Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:18 pm

Hi,

I'm also experiencing something very similar. I am playing in the sandbox with OOB_SB_KS_NAP_Russia_1812 Davout's corps. At the end of the battle, I watched 10 bataillons stuck into square formations around 2 small cavalry squadrons and being slaughtered by canons without moving or firing. The target list also shows :"no target in weapon range" even if ennemies where below 90 yards.

I don't manage to fix that bug. Some ideas ?
Vincent6691
Vincent6691

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:40 pm

I did also notice a large French Brigade or even Division being halted for a very long time by one squadron of Austrian Light cav under Phil in the game that I videoed. You can see it in the centre on the footage.
Will the likelihood of infantry squares advancing on enemy cav depend on stance or perhaps commander initiative/rating?

Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:52 pm

If the brigade commander is TC'd the squares will not advance. They will not advance if the division cmdr. is a player.  They also will not advance if the btn. is of militia grade. Finally, they will not advance if the cavalry is supported by friendly infantry.
The target list also shows :"no target in weapon range" even if ennemies where below 90 yards.
If the target list shows that msg. it means there is no line of sight on the target.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:09 pm

Hi,

I'm also experiencing something very similar. I am playing in the sandbox with OOB_SB_KS_NAP_Russia_1812 Davout's corps. At the end of the battle, I watched 10 bataillons stuck into square formations around 2 small cavalry squadrons and being slaughtered by canons without moving or firing. The target list also shows :"no target in weapon range" even if ennemies where below 90 yards.

I don't manage to fix that bug. Some ideas ?

What OOBs were you using? If you look up the thread you'll see a fix for this that requires the user to open the scenario files and check for any trailing spaces after the weapon class. A new version of the mod has just been released which should have fixed all these.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincent6691 Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:16 am

I'm using the OOB_SB_KS_NAP_Russia_1812, only Davout's corps. I attached a picture for an example battalion that doesn't shoot, like all the others close to it. Even if cavalry is in the range of fire I guess (80 meters according to targets list)

The selected battalion on the pic correspond to the line 46 in excel file (French44).

Possible bug in new infantry AI Square14

In addition, there is no scenario file as I'm using sandbox mode.

Is OOB_SB_KS_NAP_Russia_1812 of mod version 1.3.1 bugged so I need to use OOB_SB_KS_NAP_Skirm_Russia_1812 of mod version 1.3.2 ?
Vincent6691
Vincent6691

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:43 pm

I would say that due to the curve of that slope none of those cavalry are in sight to any of those squares. There can be some very odd effects like that in the game. I think (though am not sure) that LoS is drawn from a scale eye level height which is a lot lower than the sprite height which like in almost all wargames are over scale compared to the ground scale. So LoS is being calculated from around knee to thigh height of the sprites.

A raised camera height makes it look even odder as the player is less aware of the slope of the ground.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:46 pm

It looks like the DH map. That map has a lot of funny LOS issues. Situations that look like there should be a good LOS are blocked for some reason. You'll find this sort of occurrence is not that unusual on hilly maps.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincent6691 Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:13 pm

Ok I see, and you are right it is the Huegel map !
Vincent6691
Vincent6691

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down