Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:24 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

» Scourge of war Waterloo remastered on Steam
by Martin Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:41 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30495 messages in 2294 subjects

I forgot my password

Proposed fictional campaign

+3
Charmead
Uncle Billy
Mr. Digby
7 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Proposed fictional campaign Empty Proposed fictional campaign

Post  Mr. Digby Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:18 pm

I have the itch to run another campaign, made all the stronger by a new influx of players to our regular MP games. We frequently have six players these days and have seen up to eight recently. We had seven show up for a player-vs-player (PvP) game on Friday which was enjoyed by everyone, even the losers.

Here is a proposal for a campaign that will work for MP games no matter how few players we have. It is designed for player-vs-AI (PvAI) games but with six to eight will provide for PvP games without generating too much competitive spirit.

If people wish to participate in the map parts of the campaign but not in the Scourge of War multi-player online battles this could be catered for. Probably I will ask each monarch or prince who is not an online SoW player to nominate a general of his armies who would be an online SoW player and that player will take command for the online games and report back to his monarch after battles.

The game map is a work of fiction by Henry Hyde. I have approached the author to purchase a higher resolution copy but if one cannot be had, this will do. The concept is very much based on the old school fictional lace wars campaigns of Grant, Young, Featherstone, et al and concerns a group of petty kingdoms and principalities that have a European feel but which will not directly use any of the stats for any of the nations in the KS Mod. This means I will be creating a full set of OOBs for the game and players will have a lot of freedom on troop types, quality and proportions.

The political events centre around the royal house of Borgenmark, the main central state on the map. It's ruler, King Ludwig Ostervik XIV has suffered a debilitating mental illness for the last decade and at the age of 51 has recently passed away without an heir. The political and diplomatic situation of the states on the map (known as Der Marke, or Marks, simply a term to denote 'lands') is such that every one of them has a claim to the Borgenmark throne via various intermarriages and more (or less) tenuous dynastic links. No player claim can be dismissed. Each player is encouraged to create their own claim (which will need to be vetted by the umpire).

Without even a regent, Borgenmark is in some turmoil. The late king's Chief Minister, Karl von Duppelstein, has organised a provisional Diet or parliament to oversee internal and foreign affairs but his motives are being questioned and there are rumours of a republican state being proposed. Such modern liberalism can only lead to chaos with the Fremen and serfs getting ideas above their station. No, a royal household headed by a strong willed and God-appointed monarch must be in place.

This is where the players come in...

Surrounding Borgenmark are nine petty kingdoms or principalities. From clockwise in the north-west these are Phlegmark, Vestemark, Altmark, Noordemark, Polstovia, Schwitz, Parnese, Grenouisse and Gelderstaad. The names imply some linkage to real European states and its my intention that the states would be played with that in mind. Grenouisse for example, has French connotations, Parnese has Italian, Schwitz Austrian and so forth.

Each state will be played by one player. This will leave one or two states unplayed at the start which is acceptable as these will declare neutrality and their borders will be either inviolate or their lands may be traversed via a payment of whatever value can be agreed with their neutral monarchs (the umpire).

The Marks rulers are all interested in the royal throne of Borgenmark or lacking that, at least a slice of the pie in terms of land or cities. Players represent a King or Prince as well as their state's senior general and their objective is to crown themselves ruler of Borgenmark, or to secure part of that states lands and either add them to their own state or create buffer states, puppet states or whatever they are motivated to do and whatever they are satisfied in achieving. Initially each player elects to have his state take a stance towards Borgenmark. This may be hostile, neutral, supportive or simply undecided as the player chooses. However to be 'top of the pile' is the ultimate objective of each player in the long term. It may develop that wars between player states will erupt, with alliances made, broken and so forth. The game aims to provide as much of a blank canvas as possible.

Note that the states are NOT equal. Some have common borders with Borgenmark, some do not. Not all have the same number or proportion of cities and towns, of farmland and ports and therefore their military capabilities are not equal, though none is a 'sick man of Europe'. Each has opportunities.

The game mechanics will be based on and driven by finance and this is represented by the Mark, a universal coin and measure of value approximately equal in value across all states. Each state mints its own coin but all coin is legal tender across all states.

Economically each city (square) and town (circle) will generate a taxable income and this income may be expended by the Kings and Princes upon raising troops, training troops, establishing magazines, building defences, or, in fact, doing any form of spending they wish. They might build roads or improve land drainage to increase taxable income from trade or farming. They might spend amounts on lavish balls or scientific study or on the arts in order to advance their states honourable standing - this would inspire citizens to perhaps work harder and soldiers to fight with more zeal. In addition each small square of land will generate a taxable income from farming. This value will depend on whether it is open farmland, forest or hill country with income in decreasing order for the three. Ports - coastal or inland - will generate extra income from trade. Settlements not on military roads (those marked on the map) will suffer a penalty and produce less income.

The SoW software struggles to replicate defences well. If they are placed graphically in-game on the battlefield maps this requires a lot of work and it is my intention to represent defences by allowing any place that has had money spent on fortifications to have additional troops in a battle representing a garrison.

For troops and uniforms we will use the sprites that are included in the KS Mod for SoW:WL. I may refuse the use of some sprites, namely those more well known and distinctive ones. I want to encourage the use of the more old-fashioned looking sprites so infantry in bicornes and various helmets are encouraged as well as the cavalry of a more old-fashioned appearance such as British dragoons in bicorne, the 1806 Prussian and Saxon cavalry, the 1800 French horse, hussars in mirletons, hairy cossacks, etc.

Players may approach me via this thread to claim a Mark as their country and to request that certain sprites from the KS Mod are reserved for their use in their army. There will need to be some duplication here.

I am creating a new Flags Mod which will import from the SoW:GB Blenheim, Fontenoy and Leuthen mods a huge new collection of older style flags so there will be a lot of choice and if we are limited on troop sprites players will at least be able to use unique flags for their armies.

The use of whimsical, humorous or obtuse names for royalty, statesmen, generals and regiments is encouraged. I will not allow obscene or out-of-period names!

Meta gaming is fully encouraged, so the actual mechanical rules of the game will be intentionally "lite" and essentially limited to the economic system, an 'honour' system and a map moving system which will be conducted by turns, each of which will represent approximately a week. The map scale is being kept deliberately vague and distances will be measured in 'marches' which is the distance a military column can traverse in about 6 days. The seventh day is of course Sunday when everyone rests.

The main feature of the campaign and battles is that Borgenmark is controlled by the umpire and I will generate a number of reactive strategies for it so its responses will be limited within a framework of dice rolls, etc and not manipulated by the umpire. Online battles may consist of a number of players vs the Borgenmark AI, or players playing both sides. If a state allies with Borgenmark then that states troops may be played by its owning player while the Borgenmark troops are AI controlled. The variations are endless.

I will add more here as ideas bubble to the surface.

The map:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9zpu7c7ff3xk1fw/Borgenmark-map-halfsize-Marks.jpg
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Proposed fictional campaign Empty Re: Proposed fictional campaign

Post  Uncle Billy Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:22 pm

As you said, hopefully some of the KS members that meet for the monthly face to face battles will want to participate in the strategic/political part of this campaign.  Our Discord channel could be used for real time negotiations or planning between the monarch and his general.
I like the economic emphasis in the game.  Money has always been a real determiner for a war's outcome.

The SoW software struggles to replicate defences well. If they are placed graphically in-game on the battlefield maps this requires a lot of work and it is my intention to represent defences by allowing any place that has had money spent on fortifications to have additional troops in a battle representing a garrison.
This is a good idea as it easily bypasses a lot of problems.  We do have a couple of maps where towns are surrounded by fortifications, (Lynchburg & Chattanooga).  Those could be used for special situations.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:05 pm

I cannot resist

So you can count me in. And you can assume my people, as a matter of national pride, think little of whatever country Kevin wishes to pretend to claim.
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:52 pm

This is going to escalate quickly. Razz
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  DumpTruck Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:30 pm

This looks entertaining. Is there a location where we could easily view and compare all of the sprites supported by the game? Otherwise I suppose I'll have to stage a fashion show in-game. As an American I realize it may be heresy to say but I've always thought the bicorn was superior to the tricorn. Three points is just over compensating for something.

DumpTruck

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:31 pm

I'm interested too, at least for the strategic element. What sort of time commitment do you think will be required for that bit?

I note your comment re the more antiquated sprites. Do you anticipate that SOW play will be Napoleonic, or something a little earlier....say c1780?

Can you post a link to the map please? Or do you feel you need to wait for permission?

Martin J

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:59 pm

And you can assume my people, as a matter of national pride, think little of whatever country Kevin wishes to pretend to claim.
You can be assured that your flyspeck of a country will soon be subjugated. It is unfortunate that the people of your benighted land will suffer for your arrogance, but they are somewhat responsible, in that they have not already separated you from your head themselves. Mad
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:33 pm

Did you say something Kevin? I’m sorry. Wasn’t listening. Ever.
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:28 pm

Gentlemen, gentlemen. The friendly Kingdom of Lickspittel stands ready to mediate in this unfortunate diplomatic dispute. Our British Virgin Islands bank account details are available upon request.

Your most obedient and humble servant

Gervais Scuttle
Secretary to HRH King Dragomir III

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  christownsend37 Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:00 pm

I am also interested in this. Sign me up.

christownsend37

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:11 pm

Martin, I so very much appreciate your efforts.

As it turns out: It is not so much a “dispute” as it is the lesser educated not coming to terms with their own pitiful reality. I stand ready to help Kevin and his countrymen learn about their own realities, to include their host of shortcomings, in our brand new state of the art re-education facilities.

It almost goes without saying how excited we are to invade his sovereign territory and claim it for our own. We will bring our re-education facilities with us for convenience so his people will not have far to travel. And the schooling is free of course. Mostly. Some labor will be involved. We will endeavor to keep families mostly together. I think it is a wonderful opportunity for Kevin, quite frankly.

Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Maximilian (Punky) Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:52 am

I'm 100% in for this, however I have some apprehension as to my own ability to command large armies. I've only had experience in multiplayer as a battalion commander so far, and I fear that to move from a battalion commander straight up to CIC of an entire nation would be too big of a step for me. My question is, while I could play as a nation that aligns itself to Bergenmark's plight and thus control my own smaller detachments in support of their own army, could I also just sign up as either a random divisional or battalion commander? Or could I be in charge of a mercenary division, willing to fight for any man or nation with the correct payment of Marks?
Maximilian (Punky)
Maximilian (Punky)

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:15 pm

"... in our brand new state of the art re-education facilities".

I assume, sir, that you refer to the collection of very small 'classrooms' with the metal doors located in the cellar of your palace where students are seen entering but never leaving? To want to stay in their classes permanently must mean there is something wonderful to be learned therein.

Max - You can participate as a subordinate if you feel more comfortable doing that. I would need to have a think about including a mercenary force but I think that's do-able. It would be a matter of you negotiating with various princes to see if anyone wants your troops skills but its definitely an idea I can incorporate. I will contact you privately with details.

Martin - I am also going to drop you a private note to discuss something with Herr Scuttle.

ANNOUNCEMENT THE FIRST

ITEM ON THE AGENDA No.1

I am delighted to advise that Henry Hyde has been very courteous and kindly allowed me to use the full sized map of the campaign which I shall make available to players in due course after the necessary editing. I'm aware this was made by hand and took him hundreds of hours in Photoshop so this is a great gesture. We are the only people other than Henry with access to this map so I kindly request that players keep their copies private and do not upload it anywhere else.

The map was given freely but at Henry's suggestion I made a donation here. Those who participate may wish to do likewise but there is no obligation to do so.

Combat Stress Appeal at https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/battlegames

ITEM ON THE AGENDA No.2

Thunder has chosen to establish his royal household in the land of Altmark, which is now taken. His nom de guerre and other strange physical ailments are still under discussion.

ITEM ON THE AGENDA No.3

States available.

Phlegmark
Vestemark
Noordmark
Polstovia
Schwitz
Parnese
Grenouisse
Gelderstaad

ITEM ON THE AGENDA No.4

An image sheet is being made up for the suitable sprites. Watch this space.

Related to that I envisage the game being set in the 1790s so that the infantry square is an established tactic for defence against cavalry and the troop types and their tactical use is common to the wars of ten years later. We'll use the KS Mod unchanged for battles, I will just limit the choice of sprites and will add new flags.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:11 pm

Yes Martin. Many wonderful things are learned in those very classrooms. Thank you for noticing.

I declare the Kingdom of Schwitz to be my own. Our Parliament is currently voting as to whether or not we keep the “w” silent in pronunciation
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:50 pm

I shall command the great army of Polstovia. We will spread enlightenment and kielbasa to al the unfortunate and lesser principalities of the region. Schwitz is beyond redemption and shall be removed from the map.

Baron Grzegorz Brzęczyszczykiewicz
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:32 pm

Following the recent bread riots by the ungrateful population of Lickspittel, King Dragomir has found it necessary to abdicate.

This has however freed him to accept the offer of the hand of winsome Princess Carlotta, and with it vacant throne of Parnese.  

He brings with him a wealth of experience, the crown-jewels, plus the vaunted Lickspittel Grenadier Regiment.  The latter have considerable experience in crowd-control, and are available for hire to respectable neighbouring kingdoms.

Gervais Scuttle
Secretary to HRH King Dragomir III

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:41 pm

Martin, did you get my e-mail?

ANNOUNCEMENT THE SECOND

ITEM ON THE AGENDA No.1

The ruler of Altmark has been announced as King Felix von Waldesborg. The news from the capital city Waldeshut is that His Majesty has already begun a survey of his lands, taking a keen account of the number of cities, towns, villages and ale houses in his realm. He also appears to be taking a close interest in the uniforms of his army already. Not that he has an army yet. He is though keenly selecting sketches proposed by his various court artists and tailors.

ITEM ON THE AGENDA No.2

The state of Schwitz has been secured by its royal house, whose head is known only thus far as "Pat". The foreign minister of Schwitz has yet to formally announce who is in charge in these chilly and mountainous parts and which city is its capital.

ITEM ON THE AGENDA No.3

Polstovia is the hereditary land of the house of Someone Unpronounceable and its ruler assumes the mantle of Baron Grzegorz Brzęczyszczykiewicz, know to his close friends as "Kevin" and to those less close as "that sadistic b*****d". The nobility of his lands have a custom of saying "bless you" whenever his name is spoken. The close proximity of Schwitz and Polstovia may mean that Borgenmark need have no concerns about military threats from the east. All persons of note await an announcement by the Polstovian court concerning which city is its capital.

ITEM ON THE AGENDA No.4

King Dragomir III of Lickspittle (a place that no-one is quite sure exactly where it is) has abdicated but in a sudden announcement his marriage to the Princess Carlotta of Parnese has taken place, landing him the plum job of ruler of that fair land along with its magnificent pasta farms. All hail King Dragomir I of Parnese. The royal court awaits His Majesty (known to the Groom of the Stool as 'Martin') to announce the location of his new capital city.

ITEM ON THE AGENDA No.5

Noordmark has entered the political stage under the fair and just rule of the young King Christian Frederik Franz Michael Carl Harold Valdemar Georg. Also known as King Frederik XXII. His courtiers await His Majesty to advise them where he shall make his royal capital city.

ITEM ON THE AGENDA No.6

States available.

Phlegmark
Vestemark
Grenouisse
Gelderstaad

(other roles are available, enquire within)

Last edited by Mr. Digby on Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  DumpTruck Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:02 pm

I should fancy controlling the nation of Noordmark under the fair and just rule of the young King Christian Frederik Franz Michael Carl Harold Valdemar Georg.  Also known as King Frederik XXII.  After his ancestor secured the land of fish and bears they grew a strong economy with a successful fur trade and exporting fur hats.  Though an important export, it is known that the people Noordmark have great respect for the bears and some say have even tamed them and keep them as traditional house pets.  Though whether this is just a rumor spread due to the royal menagerie containing one such trained bear that does tricks is unknown.  King Frederik was nephew to the late monarch of Borgenmark and therefore the obvious successor to his stadt.  Upon the news of the death of King Ludwig Ostervik it is said that Frederik spent an hour in the morning embrace of Johan, the family's ursine companion.

I'd also like to call dibs on the Bavarian sprites if possible.  I'm not sure if they have a bicorn version but I quite like their Robin's egg blue color so until the official fashion show of sprites starts I'd like to call shotgun on them.

DumpTruck

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:38 pm

I don't intend to limit sprite use to just one nation. I just want to exclude some sprites from the mix. More than one player can use the same sprites - you will all be able to have different flags though I suspect.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:45 pm

Martin, did you get my e-mail?

No, not yet Diggers.  Did you send it to my Virginmedia address, or the old Tiscali one?

Looking forward to seeing the map of fair Parnese, and selecting my capital.  This blasted yurt is so d*mnably draughty, and Carlotta's already complaining.

Martin J

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:43 pm

For those who are not familiar with the geography of Polstovia, the capital of this enchanting land is Miasto Dolina. It will become even more enchanting with the forthcoming annexation of Schwitz.
-Baron Grzegorz Brzęczyszczykiewicz
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:57 pm

By Jove, Grzegorz old boy. Are you not a king yet?

I can recommend it.

Yours

Dragomir

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:21 pm

Martin it was using the e-mail link on these forums! You may need to update your e-mail here. I will send a PM instead but what I was going to say is a bit out of date now - I'll send it anyway.

EDIT: Martin a half-size copy of the map is linked to at the bottom of the first post. I am still working on the full-size one but the edits are mainly to add more borders and roads.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:14 pm

ANNOUNCEMENT THE THIRD

ITEM ON THE AGENDA No.1

Your Majesties, Lords, Gentlemen, Ladies... and Pat. Please find herewith a link to the library of fine uniforms the tailors and seamstresses of our fair lands are able to provide. We urge you to study these uniform plates forthwith and advise us which uniforms you wish to have made up for your soldiers in the different branches of your army.

Please also note the supremely gorgeous coats, hats and saddle cloths available for commanding officers which should also be chosen.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uzdkgd8ktv6fss6/Sprites.rar

ITEM ON THE AGENDA No.2 - OF TROOP RAISING COSTS

Please be aware that clothing and equipping the men adds to the basic cost of raising a body of troops. Regular line infantry will be the cheapest to equip and clothe, with light infantry and grenadiers somewhat more costly. Garde zu Fuss are the costliest of all but add greatly to a palace's status in peacetime and to the dread in the enemy's heart on the battlefield.

For cavalry the basic dragoon is the cheapest mounted soldier, though still more expensive than a foot soldier, due to the procurement cost and training of the animals and their equipment. Light dragoons or Chevauleger are somewhat cheaper, while hussars, while being somewhat unruly, are more expensive. Horse, cuirassiers and mounted guard cavalry are the most expensive of all. Uhlans fall somewhere between dragoons and horse in costs due to the longer training needed to effectively wield their weapons.

ITEM ON THE AGENDA No.3 - OF TROOP TYPES

The troops that it is customary to employ on the modern battlefield in the Marks are as follows:

The Foot.

Line infantry. Also termed musketeers or fusiliers. The most basic infantry type that make up the bulk of all modern armies. They drill in close order, deliver a punishing volley from massed musketry and can defend with tenacity or attack with determination. Usually.
Light infantry. Also termed grassins, leger, jager and other local terms that commonly describe the same kind of troops who are able to function in dispersed order in broken terrain as well as in closed ranks on the open field.
Grenadiers. Men of greater stature and superior physique who excel at assaults and can conduct the most heroic defences.
Guards. Also termed Foot Garde, Liebgarde or Garde zu Fuss. The most expensively attired and experienced infantry, usually (but not always) these regiments are made up of seasoned veterans of several campaigns. At the outset of the campaign season we are concerned with, any Garde zu Fuss regiments will all be ceremonial troops, without combat experience, that police the royal palace grounds and protect the person of the ruler on state visits. True, veteran garde will only appear in the orders of battle after several successful engagements.
Irregulars. Commonly termed Freikorps, Fantassins, Woodsmen, Borderers, Guerilleros, Grenzer, Huntsmen and those who habitually live and work in the forests and hill country, these hardy troops do not stand up well in the open field of formal battle but are excellent for gathering information, protecting an army on the march and fighting in the most dense and broken terrain. They make excellent spies, screens and plunderers.

The Horse

Light dragoons. Also termed chevauleger. The most cost-effective means of gaining a mounted arm, these basic troops perform all duties adequately but lack the elan and weight for true shock charges on the battlefield.
Dragoons. A heavier form of the light dragoon, comprising bigger men on bigger horses. As with light dragoons they can perform scouting and screening duties and their greater bulk has a significant charge impact.
Horse. Also termed in some countries cuirassiers or kurassiere, these are the biggest men on the biggest horses. Their cost and the presence of lighter cavalry types makes them unsuitable for scouting and screening but their charge on the battlefield, especially against shaken troops, can be devastating.
Hussars. A type of mounted brigand who first saw use in Polstovia and the eastern hill country of Schwitz approximately a century and a half ago. Since their first appearance when they were a terror to all and frightfully unruly, many regiments of these mounted scouts have begun to be formalised into more regular light cavalry. Able to screen and scout and gather information they are fast on the battlefield and expert at covering advances, retreats and the flanks. They lack the discipline of a heavy battlefield charge.
Uhlans. Another mounted soldier that arose first in the east in the last century, these cavalry can be seen as akin to hussars in all ways but their main weapon is a sturdy lance usually of ash with a hardened steel blade for a tip. As with the hussar, several regiments are now in use across the region in a more formal arrangement.
Horse Guards. Also termed Garde zu Pferde, Horse Grenadiers and similar terms, these magnificent mounted troops are the most expensive to raise and maintain due to the extremely high quality horseflesh required to carry a very large rider and his armour and equipment, as well as their custom to be housed in only the finest hotels when they are in garrison. At the commencement of our campaign horse garde regiments will be ceremonial in function and true veteran experienced mounted guards will only be seen after several successful battles.
Kazaks. Also known as Khasaks, Ulmeks, Polmeks, Pashtaks and similar eastern terms that generally translate as "scary nomadic horseman", they are fierce hairy tribesmen from the far eastern plains. Fearsome creatures, thought to be half men, half demons are employed only by Polstovia, and then it is said, only because the Khazaks extorted the ruler for protection money. Like uhlans they carry a lance and often add to this weapon with a curved sabre, brace of pistols and even in some cases musketoons or blunderbusses so that their reputation in hand to hand fighting is renowned. They can be tasked with undertaking the scouting and screening duties of the hussar but are less proficient in such duties, often going off for plunder and rapine and then fabricating stories of what enemies they encountered.

The Artillery

Brigade guns. These are light pieces of 3 pound or 4 pound weight of shot. They operate in pairs or fours and are tasked with operating close to their parent infantry brigade for their immediate support.
Field Artillery. These are medium weight pieces of 6 to 9 pounds weight of shot and are generally organised into companies of about 4 cannon, though some formations are larger. This weight of cannon are an efficient compromise on the modern field of battle combining useful mobility with an effective range and a moderate rate of fire.
Position Artillery. Also termed 'schwere', 'lourde' or 'big buggers'. These are the heaviest cannon of about 12 pound weight of shot. Slow to move, deploy and fire they can still be devastating at softening up an enemy defence prior to an assault, or hammering holes in the walls of fortified places. The 12 pound cannon will out-range all other artillery.
Horse Artillery. Also known as Ritende, Ritter Kompagnie or Artillerie a Cheval, these cannons have their crews all mounted and can thus move across firm open terrain at speed. Often these artillery are attached to brigades of horse to form cavalry divisions, or can be held as a reserve to be moved quickly to a threatened point.
Howitzers. A distinct type of cannon having a short barrel and allowing a high trajectory, these weapons shoot explosive hollow shells and are especially effective employed against buildings.

Due to the cost of artillery and the large organisational 'tail' these units require, artillery companies or batteries are usually small. Two, four or six guns is common. Larger formations of cannon are rare.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:52 pm

Gosh! I didn't even realise you could send an email from here. Anyway will have a look and update. In the meantime, have sent you an email direct. Let me know if it doesn't come through.

Smashing map. After the usual auction, King Dragomir has honoured the burgers of San Lioretto by making their city the capital of Parnese. This is a pleasant little place in the lea of Massif Enorme.

I understand that HRH is reviewing the available uniforms, and you will no doubt hear from Scuttle in due course.

Martin J

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next