Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

The Next Campaign…

+4
Miko77
Uncle Billy
DumpTruck
Charmead
8 posters

Go down

The Next Campaign… Empty The Next Campaign…

Post  Charmead Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:29 pm

All

Kevin and I have been talking about building upon the success of Miko’s campaign.

More details to follow but the idea is to blend a little “Kriegspiel” style with Kevins KS SOW mod. That way there is a bit of a campaign dialogue between battles and it opens the door for players who might prefer the operational aspect (the “Kriegspiel” angle, which i put in quotes because it would be a “light” version similar to what I have done before as opposed to the full/extended kriegspiel here on this forum) over the tactical aspect (playing HITS KS SoW). But it might be interesting to blend the two and allow non KS SoW players to shape/influence or even observe the SOW scenarios.

Thus a corps or army commander need not play in the actual KS SoW scenario (but in that case would have to provide pre game orders to the division commanders who are playing). Alternatively they can join a game physically as the army or corps commander (not in control of formations but rides around and sends messages). We could also invite observers into the game (new players for example) who want an experience better than just watching SoW on YouTube.

I think we can also work it such that the campaign dialogue and actions can play out on the forum here between game days. Kind of like how Digby might do campaign updates with “distant guns” currently.

As for maps we were thinking of stringing together 3 or 4 -10-mile maps in the KS Mod, thus allowing the same map to be used for operational (between game) and tactical (in game) execution. Turns out the maps actually can connect surprisingly well via the roads. Not quite like the old “geomorphic” maps of Avalon Hill past, but close enough!

My focus would be the operational part and Kevins focus is the tactical/OOB/scenario part.

I would anticipate another 3-6 weeks before we would be ready simply due to current real life demands.

But if anyone is interested in this—in any way— please let me know. Just post to this thread. Some of the choices in construction would depend upon who would be interested in which aspect.

Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

The Next Campaign… Empty Re: The Next Campaign…

Post  DumpTruck Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:07 pm

Very good. I think the Kriegsspiel element could really help us with our problem of having limited division commanders. I also quite like the idea that each side's army commander could, in effect, have a little posse of his cronies riding around on the map. He could even delegate tasks and messages to them like ADCs or Napoleon's marshals or Wellington's little band of friends. The general's sense of what's going on in the battle and his ability to control it would be possibly the highest we've ever seen. Of course we'd have to establish some kind of ground rule that those who ride without a command must stay behind friendly lines or something in order to prevent unrealistic scouting.

My only concern would be if the overall command of a side isn't going to be in game, he should still have some sort of trusted confidant in the game for the battle, even if just to observe, collect, and relay information.

Anyway you can of course put me down for a tactical command whenever this comes about.

DumpTruck

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:36 pm

For battle results, we'll use the SOW Outcome Calculator to determine the type of victory/defeat. It bases the decision on a number of factors. It looks at not only the total number of casualties for both sides, but also the losses of experienced troops, number of officers killed, number of routed and captured units. Losing Guard troops is much more of a loss than losing the same number of line troops. Cavalry losses count more than infantry. Losing 1,000 infantry is not as detrimental as losing 1,000 cavalry.

Points are "awarded" for all of these. The totals of each army are compared and the battle result is bases on the ratio of the two scores.
Draw: The 2 scores are within 20% of one another.
Marginal Victory: The victor has a score of 20-50% greater than the loser.
Significant Victory: The victor has a score of 50-100%,(twice) as great as the loser.
Decisive Victory: The victor has a score of more than twice that of the loser.

Once the battle result is established, we'll use SOW Casualty Modifier to return some of the casualties to the armies. The size of the victory/defeat will have a significant impact to the capability of the armies in future battles. I've put the table I propose to use below. The values can be easily changed. Make suggestions if you feel some values are too high or low.

Result                  wounded  missing  routed  captured  deserted
Decisive Defeat         10           5         25           2           4
Significant Defeat      12           7         30           7           2
Marginal Defeat         17         12         40         12           0
Draw                        22         17         65         20           0
Marginal Victory        25         25         75         22           0
Significant Victory     27         30         85         25           0
Decisive Victory        27         35         90         30           0

So for a significant defeat, the loser would get back 12% of the wounded, 7% of the missing, 30% of the routed, 7% of the captured.  2% of the army would desert  The winner would have a significant victory and would get back 27% wounded, 30% missing, 85% routed and 25% captured.

All of this is to show that fighting too long can have severe consequences and encourage players not to fight to the last man. Although the players can't know exactly how well or poorly they are faring during the battle, they should have a general idea as to how they are doing relative to their opponent. He certainly knows how many of his own units have been routed or captured and his overall casualties.

With CinCs who do not directly control any troops on the field, they can periodically ask their subordinates for a casualty update. This will allow them to decide when it is time to stop the attack or begin to withdraw from the field. Withdrawal will be greatly aided by having a large piece of a division in reserve.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:52 am

I'd definitely simplify this table - desertion column is not necessary - the side suffering significant or decisive defeat will surrender - I surely would.

Instead I'd modify missing (is that what is "deserted" column in gameDB file?) and wounded.

I don't see a point restoring tiny bit of captured unit when defeated. Let's say you've got a cavalry unit of 500 that surrendered... so then 2% of this would be 10 men.
So I suggest zero for any kind of defeat and then starting from Draw 25% and 5% increments...

Obviously Wounded and Missing are casualties while Routed or captured is Status... I guess you'd apply % on routed or captured on what remained from the unit after the battle.

My suggested table:

Result                  wounded  missing  routed  captured  deserted
Decisive Defeat         5            0          25           0           0
Significant Defeat      10         10         30           0           0
Marginal Defeat         15         20         40           0           0
Draw                        20         30         65         25           0
Marginal Victory        25         40         75         30           0
Significant Victory     30         50         85         35           0
Decisive Victory        35         60         90         40           0
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  DumpTruck Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:28 am

I don't get along with numbers so much so I'm inclined to let those who aren't mathematically challenged figure things out. Cool

I'm just curious what is meant by 'withdrawing from the field'. Are we talking a generalized 'strategic' withdrawal that is abstracted and handled on the map, or are we talking about a withdrawal in the game, on the battle field? Are these reserve divisions going to be present on the battle, or just on the strategic, abstracted map?

DumpTruck

Back to top Go down

Post  Smoke Grenadiers Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:34 am

I'd be interested in joining in on this Campaign from a on field Commander position.
Smoke Grenadiers
Smoke Grenadiers

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:04 pm

I am still finalizing the campaign system but yes it will be an abstracted shift from the tactical (scenario) to operational (campaign) phases in the case of something like a withdrawal.
Charmead
Charmead

Smoke Grenadiers likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:31 pm

The withdrawal I was talking about would be breaking contact and falling back a certain distance with the main body of troops, say a mile.  The only loss suffered by the withdrawing army would be the loss of any guns captured from the enemy or guns captured by the enemy.

The reserve division I was speaking of would be one of the three that are on the battlefield. Ideally, it would remain mostly uncommitted during the battle, but of course that decision rests with the CinC.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  risorgimento59 Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:40 pm

Selfishly speaking, I think it'd be nice to throw uncommited reserves, or part of them (light troops especially), into short / limited in scope (gain the night, blow the bridge, etc.) rear-guard battles after the major engagements.
And the outcomes used to influence the magnitude of any defeat/win.
I might even join these more or less regularly, something just unheard of... Laughing
[Ignore me, egocentric mode off Rolling Eyes ]

risorgimento59

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:54 pm

Here is a link to the current draft campaign map.. "Draft" means "not finished yet" but I wanted to share.

Summer 2021 Campaign Map Draft

Basically we are stringing together the KS SOW 10-mile map, Bordino Map and Kelheim map.  The result is (roughly) a 10 mile x 30 mile campaign space.  The campaign itself will cycle back and forth using a Kriegspiel-like operational phase (army-corps-division moves) which then shapes context for a tactical phase in KS SOW (corps-division-brigade and below).  Certain towns/cities are highlighted with a "blue dot" for purposes of line of communication determination (HQ ops, supplies, comms) and/or as a specific link to deployment zones on an adjacent map.

I am still laying out the details of the operational phase and Kevin is working the OOB details for the tactical phase. But here is a basic description so far of the main elements:

Draft - Campaign Elements

Comments welcomed!
Charmead
Charmead

risorgimento59 and DumpTruck like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:57 pm

Here is an updated campaign description (describes key map element and sequence of play) and associated map. At this point we are pretty much good to go. Still need a Russian Army commander. And if we get extra volunteers for the operational phase they can take corps command slots or staff advisor positions.

Campaign Summary Description

The 10x30 Mile Campaign Map
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:36 pm

Can't read what is written in the red rectangles.
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:38 pm

Miko, I can send you original version via email if you want. Each red rectangle is called a "deployment zone" named based on the blue dot immediately west of it. And it gives a division limit (much like your entry zones in previous scenario).

Example: Lower right (SW) corner of Borodino map the rectangle says: "Wehlau deployment zone up to 3 divisions" because the blue dot city of Wehalu is immediately west of it.

Such rectangles will help in assessing movement between maps in an operational phase. I can also see cases where they might shape initial deployment in a tactical scenario.
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:43 pm

Okay, it is so small and not very contrasting against the background so I only saw it now when opened on large monitor.
So, how do Russians deploy? Is it presumed only French advance and them being stopped at some point or would Russians be able to push back?
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:03 pm

When we start, each commander will get "at start" guidance for initial deployment with associated intelligence reporting. Beyond that, it will be up to the commanders as to their actions, and to what degree their actions take them North, East, South and/or West based on evolving conditions, perceptions and reality. My job as umpire is to allow for as much individual commander discretion/preference as possible while keeping the actions within reason (sorry no C-17 airdrops, not even experimental observation balloons).
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:32 pm

The OOB for each army will be composed of 2 Corps. The 1st will contain 3 divisions. The 2nd will contain 4 divisions. That 4th division is a small Guard division composed of 1 inf. brigade and 1 cuirassier cav. brigade. Battles will be only with one Corps. I had envisioned it would only be with the 1st Corps, but I guess the 2nd one could be also used.

Once a Corps has been in battle and has suffered casualties, damaged brigades can be swapped out and replaced by brigades from the other Corps. Note that initially battalions/regiments/guns are not exchanged but entire brigades/batteries. Once a brigade is swapped out, the damaged one will undergo some reorganization. Battalions that are less than half strength will be demobilized and the men transferred to other battalions that are in need of replacements.

Initially, every infantry brigade contains at least 5 battalions. Each cavalry brigade has at least 2 regiments. As the campaign progresses, the brigades will become smaller and smaller. When infantry brigades have 4 or less battalions, the CinC can begin to cannibalize other reserve brigades and add battalions so that the original total number is restored. The mechanism same applies to cavalry brigades.

Guns that have had their crews reduced to less than half strength will recruit infantrymen as replacements to bring them up to full strength. However, the experience level of this gun will be reduced by 1. Captured or destroyed guns are not replaced by captured enemy guns. They are just gone for good. The exception to this is if a gun is captured but the army is in possession of the battlefield at the end of the fight. That gun is returned to the battery.

Before a battle, the CinC can decide to include the Guard units into the fighting Corps' OOB if not already there if it is within 5 miles of the division it is being assigned to. Note that these troops have no replacements. They should be used with care.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:25 pm

Both Khryses (Russian Army CinC) and Miko (French Army CinC) have now received their OOBs and initial situation reports.

And we are off to the races ....
Charmead
Charmead

Smoke Grenadiers likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Khryses Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:10 am

Welcome!

Time for some Russian hospitality...
Khryses
Khryses

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:23 pm

Hi Khryses

I'm not sure if I have had the pleasure to make your acquaintance but welcome to you too and it will be a pleasure either fighting under your Command or assisting Miko whoop your butt Laughing
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Khryses Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:35 am

Hi Grog!

I think we met back in my Little Gaddesden days... unless you were out of the country at the time for some reason? I went to as many of the events as I could Smile

I trust that you will serve gloriously in the best traditions of the motherland!

Whichever side you end up fighting on Cool
Khryses
Khryses

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down