Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1561 registered users
The newest registered user is Captsmoak

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Gettysburg Scourge of War - Team Speak 3

+3
Callum
Martin
Pete Maidhof
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Gettysburg Scourge of War - Team Speak 3 Empty Gettysburg Scourge of War - Team Speak 3

Post  Pete Maidhof Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:52 pm

This morning Martin and I worked through Team Speak 3 comm issues using Skype.

Both of us as Team Speak 3 neophytes, we need to figure out how to reduce the echo beyond the reduce echo button in Settings/Options.

We assumed that there will be similar set up issues for most players and we would want to go through these before "crossing the line of departure".

We need to see how multiple players effect the comms using TS3. Given how many first person shooter types go wild with these comms, I think that we should be ok, just have to see it with my own eyes and ears.

There is a Whisper function that I will read up on to hopefully allow us to have multiple people on the command channel and not be stepping all over each other transmission-wise.

I'll post more here as I read up on TS3 and do some more tests over the next few weeks.

R/
Pete

Pete Maidhof

Back to top Go down

Gettysburg Scourge of War - Team Speak 3 Empty Re: Gettysburg Scourge of War - Team Speak 3

Post  Martin Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:45 pm

My thanks to Pete, who very patiently guided me into the delights of Teamspeak3. I did experience a few problems, but with his help was able to surmount them.

Teamspea3k is actually quite simple, once you know how to use it, but we can well imagine others hitting similar issues when trying to do that for the first time.

Pete has very kindly agreed to be our lead-man on Teamspeak3, for which I am also very grateful. This is a good place to direct all questions on it going forward.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Gettysburg Scourge of War - Team Speak 3 Empty Re: Gettysburg Scourge of War - Team Speak 3

Post  Pete Maidhof Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:07 pm

I'm back from a business trip and ready to assist anyone testing Team Speak 3 while trying to learn more about its functionality myself.

Pete Maidhof

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:22 pm

My youngest and I tested-out TeamSpeak 3 today during a short online game, Pete. We experienced no problems with it, but of course had no need of the whisper keys as there were just the 2 of us. We had it on all the time and just kept quiet unless we were in the same place.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete Maidhof Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:59 am

I can join a short meaningless game with TS3 at just about anytime within the constraints of Time Zone Romeo.

Pete Maidhof

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:19 pm

How about trying a 2-player vs the AI tomorrow (Tuesday) Pete? I would need to finish by about 5 pm GMT, so it would be a morning game for you. Is that ok?

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete Maidhof Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:39 pm

Hi Martin,

I'd have to say that would probably not work for me during the week. Hopefully we can set up a scrimmage at some point this weekend, if holiday prep does not pose too much of an obstacle. Smile

Pete Maidhof

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:12 pm

Pete - Weekend sounds good. Sunday probably best for me, if you can do that. Let's firm-up by email.

All - realistically, I think it's unlikely we will get a large game going before Xmas. As I think I've mentioned previously, I suspect we need a series of small games first to get folks used to multiplayer and using the courier system. Perhaps more importantly, we also need to ensure their kit & configuration is ok. Introducing folks gradually via small games gives us the chance to work out any issues with that without slowing everyone up. So if anyone would like to try a small game, say just with me and perhaps one other, do let me know.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Callum Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:24 pm

I would be up for that.

Callum

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:18 pm

Callum wrote:I would be up for that.

Hi Callum

Thats great. I'll contact you by email tomorrow, and we'll try & fix something up. Can you do a connection speed test please?

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:14 pm

Hi Callum

Sent an email earlier today to someone I thought was you, but am now wondering if it was someone else. Are you Callum Haywood? If not, I suspect CH is very confused right now, and you need to email me at martin_aJames@tiscali.couk so I have your address.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:51 am

Martin wrote:Hi Callum

Sent an email earlier today to someone I thought was you, but am now wondering if it was someone else. Are you Callum Haywood? If not, I suspect CH is very confused right now, and you need to email me at martin_aJames@tiscali.couk so I have your address.

Martin

Err.............. that should be martin_a_james@tiscali.co.uk

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  MJ1 Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:24 am

The confusion of war... Should the general not have an ADC to do all the menial work such as sending e-mails? When are the nippers back home to help?

Smile

Great thread and will be interested in seeing how it all pans out. Good idea to test with each person first so they learn the basics of connecting before you attempt a big game...

MJ1

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:06 pm

David back on Sat. Phil not for another week.

We'll get there in the end. What I really need is a project manager Mark. Know any good ones Very Happy

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  MJ1 Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:00 pm

Martin wrote:David back on Sat. Phil not for another week.

We'll get there in the end. What I really need is a project manager Mark. Know any good ones Very Happy

Martin

A PM is someone who gets others to do things..... Not the man (or woman) for you....

MJ1

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:19 pm

I'll have some doers as well please.........

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Callum Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:13 pm

Its ok that is me, i got the email and I'am just downloading Hamachi now. One question how do i test my connection speed?

Callum

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:42 pm

Callum wrote:Its ok that is me, i got the email and I'am just downloading Hamachi now. One question how do i test my connection speed?

Excellent. Try this link. It's from the BBC so I think should give a trustworthy result.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics#results

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Garnier Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:53 pm

What is your guys' Teamspeak IP and port? Or is it secret?

Garnier

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:53 pm

Garnier wrote:What is your guys' Teamspeak IP and port? Or is it secret?

We haven't set-up anything permanent yet. We're still just testing Teamspeak and have just joined existing servers which have no current clients (which seem easy to find), when trying T/S out with the game. Seems to work fine. We also have Pete Maidhof looking into how we can get the best out of T/S by using some of its more advanced feature, such as the whisper keys.

While we have your attention, Garnier, can you tell us how you use T/S in multiplayer games? Any hints on how to get the most out of it would be helpful.

[NB folks. Garnier is a leading light on the games discussion forum, and a very experienced multiplayer of the game, so his views will be worth listening too. Just looking for a flattery emoticon there, but nothing doing]

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Garnier Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:46 pm

For most of the games we've just had each team in their own channel with free voice communication there. That's by far been the most popular. In the early days we also tried various rules like no talking except when the commanders are near each other -- that is fun but more work and hasn't caught on for normal games.

You all would be welcome to use our teamspeak server, temporarily or not. I'd be happy to bring more of the SOW community together, even if we don't all play in the same battles. I'd occasionally like to play earlier in the day as well. (Our group is mostly in the US and play later due to time zones; I guess you are UK from the domain name?).

Teamspeak info is here:
sow.philipmcg.com/c/platte/php/ui.php?f=view_teamspeak

Garnier

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:33 pm

Garnier wrote: You all would be welcome to use our teamspeak server, temporarily or not. I'd be happy to bring more of the SOW community together, even if we don't all play in the same battles. I'd occasionally like to play earlier in the day as well. (Our group is mostly in the US and play later due to time zones; I guess you are UK from the domain name?).

Teamspeak info is here:
sow.philipmcg.com/c/platte/php/ui.php?f=view_teamspeak
That's a very kind offer, which we may well take up. Thanks.

Yes it's a good idea to bring more of the SOW community together, and I will continue to mention our MP games on the Norbsoft forum. I'm pleased to see that CoB4thTEXAS from the forum has just signed up with us. A few others there also seem to be interested in this type of game.

Whilst we are mainly based in the UK, we have always had a strong American contingent, and 4 or 5 of the players in our putative Gettysburg pool are based in the US - ie about a third. We are thinking weekend games should be able to accommodate the time difference, although I guess Alaska & Hawaii might be a challenge. You would of course be very welcome to play with us too, Garnier. If so, email me at martin_a_james@tiscali.co.uk and I'll keep you posted.

At the moment we are trying to set-up a series of small games to test out the practicalities. The last thing we want is to arrange a big game, which then has to be delayed on the day because one player does not have TeamSpeak installed, or some such. The plan is that everyone should have participated in one of these test games before being involved in a larger one. The first of those will realistically be in 2012.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Garnier Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:47 pm

If any of you want to, there are MP games every evening about 7pm EST (midnight in the UK) on our teamspeak. All are welcome. It might be a good way for some of you to get familiar with MP and all the details rather than figuring it out from scratch. If you get on teamspeak around then, they'll walk you through anything you need to do to play.

On weekends they sometimes get earlier games in as well.

Garnier

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:29 pm

Sounds good. Thanks for the invite.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Callum Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:03 pm

ok tested my speed got just above a medium speed connection. Smile

Callum

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next