Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1561 registered users
The newest registered user is Captsmoak

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Week-End with the scenario day - 28/02-01/03

+6
Grog
Uncle Billy
Hays
LEGIO_Suchet
Martin
mitra
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Week-End with the scenario day - 28/02-01/03 - Page 2 Empty Re: Week-End with the scenario day - 28/02-01/03

Post  mitra Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:10 pm

Additional info for the players:

The objectives will give a light fatigue and moral recover bonus to the troops of officer in possesion of obj. . Remember also that the range of activation is larger than usual, so the enemy has to be well distant for you to have the obj.

mitra

Back to top Go down

Week-End with the scenario day - 28/02-01/03 - Page 2 Empty Re: Week-End with the scenario day - 28/02-01/03

Post  Martin Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:42 am

Many thanks to Mitra(Davide) for running the scenario. I really enjoyed it, but aged 10 years in the course of it  Smile 

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:10 am

It was a very fluid and interesting battle, one of the few that involved Culps Hill but no maniac battle for it. The action my division saw on Cemetery Hill was a real whirlwind fight, and fortunately I was able to push the Rebs back to the South-West without much difficulty after Martin's (Buford's) cavalry had weakened them a lot. We did almost lose the hill in the second Reb assault but one of the other Union divisions (I am not sure if it was Josh or Blackstreet) managed to threaten the west side from the town and we secured it. Jeb Stuart's cavalry was a constant nuisance on the western and north-western flanks and our plan to push Buford from his early lodgement on Cemetery Hill out to the north-west to secure the other objectives never even materialised.

After the Reb attack from Culps Hill towards the south-east flank of the cemetery was beaten back my division was down from 12 battalions to 6 but I made up for it by capturing a few Confederate guns. The weight of Union artillery atop Cemetery Hill must have lowered the summit by a couple of feet!

I fear that the Rebs paid more attention to the overall strategic objectives though and that the next day's fight will be harder for the Union.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  mitra Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:22 am

"
The engagement at Gettysburg became a full scale battle and the confederates received a hard tactical defeat, but the night comes to separate the troops and the stop the fighting. Longstreet Corps has been forced to a desparate defence but now the Northern troops of VI Corps in their hurry to press ahead  resulted cutted from their line of communication with rest of army and still the flank at west is not fully secured against the enemy cavalry; they ended in a "cul de sac" where they are sufficiently strong to move but only in a direction. During the night the commanders took their decisions about what do the day after. The biggest Corps of Army fo Potomac is for the moment isolated from the rest of army also if only by light screen of enemy troops but also few hours could permit to Jackson Corps to make a flank attack on the right wing of army at Hanover; at the same time the confederate retreat line at South is in danger and if lost the confederate could retreat only to east to Hanover but this only if they can hold a sufficient number of hours for permit Jackson to advance. In the meantime the western reinforcements are advancing.
"

Good game to all; I supposed that the first match could become a massacre for one side or the other one and could happen thing like lost of players for connection, that is why I set the first day of clash at the end of day for permit to commander to use the night for move the troops in the area in their possession and recover the routed troops; the confederate losses seems high but many are stragglers and they started with a numeric superiority. Now I will write to two CiC their strategic options and I will ask how they want move their troops during the night. Because of problems for have lost two players  during the match and because they have reached a strategic goal taking 3 objectives, 2 related to the communications lines (the federals don't maintain any garrison on Gettysburg itself) they will have be not penalized also if the points are very badly, but the federals will be in the advantage for sure in the next match.

mitra

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:03 pm

I am a reporter from the Gettysburg TImes and I was intrigued to learn that Jeb Stuart had to leave the field due to concussion, after being struck a glancing blow by a stray cannon ball.

What happened to his cavalry thereafter?

Thanks ...

Richard

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:07 pm

In the heat of the battle I sent a courier to my superior commander; the courier then took a direct route despite the fact that some blue-bellies were clearly in his path.

Not surprisingly they shot his horse from under him (I watched it happen) and may have captured the dispatch.

Silly man.

Richard

Richard

Back to top Go down

Post  mitra Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:10 pm

They managed sufficiently well it seems, not big losses respect the infantry.

mitra

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:16 pm

The original Union plan was for the cavalry to push ahead and secure the high ground S of G/burg.  When the infantry arrived it was to relieve the cavalry and then advance S and take up a defensive position between the Leister and Spangler Farms.   The cavalry was then to move towards the SW to screen the objectives in the NW portion of the map.  

I initially commanded the cavalry division, and our leading brigade was arriving on Cemetery Hill when two things happened.  Our CinC had to leave the game and passed command to me, and Rebel infantry appeared and advanced against both the unoccupied Culp’s Hill and our position on Cemetery Hill.  At a personal level, I confess this combination almost overwhelmed me.  I was simultaneously trying to defend the hill and also work out where the rest of the army was. [I’m sure there is a headless chicken emoticon somewhere]

The struggle for Cemetery Hill was desperate and I thought we were about to be pushed off it.  Infantry of our 1st division arrived in the nick of time, but the enemy continued to advance, and in desperation I ordered the cavalry to charge.  We weathered that storm, but later on there was a further major enemy attack which reached our gun-line.  The cavalry charged again, and that worked, perhaps because the Reb infantry was weakened by our artillery fire on their approach?  In all honesty I’m not sure it should have done.  It seemed more Napoleonic than ACW.  Could Buford’s men have done that at G/burg in reality?

The question of the objectives was the subject of discussion amongst the Union team during the game.  At various times all 3 of my subordinates raised concerns about enemy threats to Culp’s Hill, Herr’s Tavern, The Hagerstown Road, and our LOC back to the NE of G/burg.  Rightly or wrongly I took the view that we should focus all our efforts on defeating the enemy forces attacking Cemetery Hill, and constantly pushed the divisional commanders to keep focused on that sector.  I felt that we did not have the strength to both defeat the enemy and simultaneously control all of the objectives.  If we won the battle, I thought we could retake any of the objectives which had been lost.  This tension, which was no doubt intentional, was one of the reasons why this was a good scenario.

Eventually the tide turned on Cemetery Hill, and we were able to go on the offensive.  The enemy appeared to hold a strong position on Culp’s Hill, so we decided to ignore that.  Our relatively fresh 2nd Division launched an attack to the south which penetrated the Confederate centre.  The cavalry was by now largely rested, and one brigade was directed to reinforce our 3rd Division in their thrust west towards Herr Tavern.  The other 2 bgds were directed S towards the Confederate LOC on the southern edge of the map.  By this point, it appeared that the enemy to the S and W of us had shot its bolt and fell back whenever we advanced.  At this point dusk fell however.

I would like to thank all of the divisional commanders for an excellent team effort, after a somewhat chaotic start.  Our 1st Division (Digby) worked valiantly with the cavalry to defend the hill.  The 2nd Division (Josh) initially helped cover our eastern flank facing Culp’s Hill, and their late game advance split the Reb army in two.  Our 3rd Division (Ollie) both countered the enemy cavalry on our western flank, and also helped turn the tide on Cemetery Hill.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  mitra Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:13 pm

This is a good point Martin, yes there was to make a choice and think this is the good of sequential battles. You're idea work pretty well, but of course after have broke me and Berthier you had the resources adn the time for protect also the objectives. Pressing ahead like this leaved two middle strong forces on your both flanks creating a not happy form of your area for the next day deployment. If Richard won't dropped the situation on the ohter flanks could be worse for you also if not in decisive mode.
So also the next time there will be to do choices, also if those of confederate are harder.

Paradoxily if I moved slower it should be better, if I found the hill not so undefended I would have remained on the defensive according to the Neal orders. But unluckily I have also undervalueted the distance between mine and the other divisions and so Berthier joined me later than I expected when I asked his support.

I think the cavalry charges won mainly because the attacked regiments are not strong as number of men; cavlary has a bonus in melee but the number of men count also.

Here the replay:

mitra

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:53 am

This was an amazingly frustrating battle, despite the fact that my orders were generally carried out with success. Even despite player drops and such, I was happy with the general result. However I was quite unhappy with the number of losses we sustained. They were not nearly enough.

-Neal
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:58 am

By the way, I was pleasantly surprised with the effect of my cavalry on the enemy and its completion of the general plan of action.

Good work, Richard!
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Week-End with the scenario day - 28/02-01/03 - Page 2 Empty Map Problem

Post  WSH Baylor Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:32 pm

As all of you know that played in the game last Sat., I had problems with the map and withdrew from the game.  I believe that I now have the problem fixed and need a "volunteer" who has the correct map and willingness to set-up a test game with me.  I am available most anytime and am usually on K/S T/S most of the day.  My computer is in the basement and I am frequently in another room.  If you have the time to help, get on T/S and repeatedly "YELL:  JACK" and I will be able to hear and appear!  LOL Or....send me an email or post here on the best time for you.

BTW, Now that I am fully retired, I have a large amount of "playing time" available throughout the day and evening. So if you want a "pick-up" game, give a yell.

Thanks

Jack
WSH Baylor
WSH Baylor

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:26 pm

I'm hoping to have a bit of time next week Jack, so will contact you nearer the time. Are you playing in the Friday and Saturday games this week?

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Week-End with the scenario day - 28/02-01/03 - Page 2 Empty Schedule

Post  WSH Baylor Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:33 pm

Friday is up-in-the-air. I normally pick up my granddaughter from school on Friday pm, right during the middle of the game. Unfortunately, she is ill this week and won't know until tomorrow whether or not she will be in school.

As to Sat., again, schedule is up in the air and will have to wait and see. I don't want to promise what I can't deliver.

BTW, Kevin figured out what was wrong with my maps and it has been repaired.

J
WSH Baylor
WSH Baylor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2