Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Napoleonic game this Thursday 13th June?

+3
Mr. Digby
Ike
Martin
7 posters

Go down

Napoleonic game this Thursday 13th June? Empty Napoleonic game this Thursday 13th June?

Post  Martin Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:53 pm

Anyone up for this?

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Napoleonic game this Thursday 13th June? Empty Re: Napoleonic game this Thursday 13th June?

Post  Ike Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:16 am

I might be. The doubt is because I have some pest control people coming on Wednesday and I'm not certain how much work I'll have to do after they leave. Wink
Ike
Ike

Back to top Go down

Napoleonic game this Thursday 13th June? Empty Re: Napoleonic game this Thursday 13th June?

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:30 pm

I should think I can make this one.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Khryses Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:01 pm

I should be fine for this one, I think.
Khryses
Khryses

Back to top Go down

Post  Leffe7 Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:49 pm

I could make it if it were a bit early like 1930 UK time.
Leffe7
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:05 pm

Sounds good. Would anyone be interested if I was to do a small kriegsspiel-type scenario with c1860s European armies? Better rifles but charging cavalry.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:23 am

Remember, if you are using different sprites and flags, you'll have to send each player copies of those.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:37 am

Uncle Billy wrote:Remember, if you are using different sprites and flags, you'll have to send each player copies of those.
That's ok Uncle Billy. All the sprites & flags are from Road to Wagram, but in different permutations. But thanks for the warning.

This would be an engagement between traditional Red & Blue 'German' kriegsspiel armies. Cavalry can still charge, but the increased weapon ranges and accuracy means you have to be more careful with them. More like Franco-Prussian War. It's only an idea though. If folks are not yet satiated on Napoleonic, we can do that instead Very Happy .

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Khryses Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:03 am

I'm fine either way Smile
Khryses
Khryses

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:08 pm

Your idea sounds interesting Martin, but perhaps you could keep it back for a more formally arranged game one weekend that will attract more players?

I thought your mod used Victorian-era sprites created especially for it? If it uses French and British Napoleonic sprites that might look somewhat strange, though you could try using the Swiss infantry (French uniform but red jacket and white breeches) as the Red army and Portuguese or Dutch for the Blue troops. Give the Red army Reb Buglers new Spanish flags and the Blue army his new Prussian ones and you'd create two very interesting looking sides that would not in any way remind people of Britain and France.

I'm working hard on getting Zeke's French Revolutionary sprites incorporated into the Napoleonic mod and would like to try and test these if I can get an OOB drawn up before Thursday. We could test the 'unfordable' Antietam map as well.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Mr. Digby wrote:Your idea sounds interesting Martin, but perhaps you could keep it back for a more formally arranged game one weekend that will attract more players?.

It will only need about 5 players, which is why I thought we might try it on Thursday, but yes I can always run it one weekend, as it could accommodate more. Let's hear from anyone else with views and then decide nearer the time, when we know how many can make it.

Mr. Digby wrote:I thought your mod used Victorian-era sprites created especially for it? If it uses French and British Napoleonic sprites that might look somewhat strange, though you could try using the Swiss infantry (French uniform but red jacket and white breeches) as the Red army and Portuguese or Dutch for the Blue troops. Give the Red army Reb Buglers new Spanish flags and the Blue army his new Prussian ones and you'd create two very interesting looking sides that would not in any way remind people of Britain and France.
We're thinking along similar lines. Some of the sprites do indeed look reasonably like mid 19th C troops. As you suggest, the Portuguese make good Blue troops for example. Am holding back on the full range of available flags & sprites at the moment for the reasons Uncle Billy mentioned.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:45 am

Can't make this one, chaps. Perhaps one at the weekend, though.

Have fun.
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Ike Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:00 pm

I won't be able to make it, either.  A considerable amount of cleaning etc after the visit from the pest control person.  Next one, perhaps.
Ike
Ike

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:17 pm

It looks as if we have 5 at the moment, as Hays is planning to be there too.  That includes Digby, Justin & Stefan.  Anyone I've missed?

Shall we aim for a 19.30 BST start, so Stefan gets to bed at a reasonable time?

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Khryses Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:38 pm

Can do gentlemen - I'll check on this in the morning.
Khryses
Khryses

Back to top Go down

Post  Leffe7 Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:39 am

any special mods we need to have installed?
Leffe7
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:46 am

Leffe7 wrote:any special mods we need to have installed?

No. Smile

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:16 pm

It would be good to get a 6th player.

so we can gang up on him.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:14 pm

Mr. Digby wrote:It would be good to get a 6th player.

so we can gang up on him.

Yes it would.  If we can't, I suggest we go 3 vs 2 but give the 2 more men.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Khryses Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:21 pm

That plan sounds vaguely familiar Wink

I'll avoid commanding, whichever side I'm on...
Khryses
Khryses

Back to top Go down

Post  Khryses Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:19 pm

Two high points - one fascinatingly realistic, one frustratingly brilliant on my opponent's behalf.

Initially I was scouting through the trees (as directed) and was JUST about to turn back when I caught a snatch of marching tune from the woods ahead of me. Advancing cautiously the tune got louder... and louder... and suddenly 60-odd yards away a unit of French Chasseurs a Cheval appeared, marching along the road. And behind them, Cuirassiers...

I turned and retired at speed, sending a flurry of couriers out to all corners of the earth and swiftly brought my division around to face the perceived line of threat. As it transpired Niall was actually heading even further to my left, and I wound up forming to his side and had a long slugging match with him.

When (half an hour and thousands of casualties later) Stefan's infantry arrived in my rear, my line shattered and fled to west and east. I followed the bulk of them east to try to rally them, and found one of Niall's much-derided horse moving with the pack - coming up to a trot to menace one routing regiment or another, giving them no chance to rally until they broke and fled from the map.

Would that have been 'target weak enemies'?

Coming to the reluctant conclusion after my string of glorious defeats that I may not actually be that good a general...

Viva Espana?
Khryses
Khryses

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:52 pm

Those two sneaky Frenchmen did come up with an excellent plan which worked like a dream and caught us on the hop (it was a very Frederican styled attack) but I also think we can take solace in that they had a bloody huge army compared to ours and stacks of excellent cavalry. I mean... I had Dutch and Belgian hussars!
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down