Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1561 registered users
The newest registered user is Captsmoak

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

DOODLE - The Spartans of Harper's Ferry - First battle of the new campaign - DOODLE

+5
kg little mac
M.Jonah
Nathan B. Forrest
Uncle Billy
Father General
9 posters

Go down

DOODLE - The Spartans of Harper's Ferry - First battle of the new campaign - DOODLE Empty DOODLE - The Spartans of Harper's Ferry - First battle of the new campaign - DOODLE

Post  Father General Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:33 pm

Alright, everything is pretty much in place, so we're rolling as of right now. We don't need everything to be perfect before starting because this campaign is gonna start Father General style. At least for the first battle.

The first battle is, The Spartans of Harper's Ferry.

And I'll be honest, it's going to be a bloodbath...

Historically, the actual battle saw the Confederates surround the town with Jackson making a land approach from the west. That's really cool, but it's not Father General style, now is it?

Anyway, I just wanted to acknowledge that historical fact before we leave Kansas.

In The Spartans of Harper's Ferry, the Father General orders an immediate attack on the Federal heights, across the bridge. Theoretically this attack is actually coming from the east, but let's not let niggling details interfere with mass slaughter. The battle map will be the Sharpsburg PM map. To reflect the difficult nature of the approach, the traitorous snakes Federals will hold the heights while the Confederates, although superior in every way (numbers, stats, morally, spiritually, and way better looking sprites) must attack ONLY across the Burnside bridge on the map. Keeping the AI on the bridge is probably impossible, so as a concession to Blackstreet, the Confederates may ford the river at the bridge only, as close as digitally possible to the bridge itself. This means the Union has no fear of being flanked. The Confederates MAY NOT cross at any other point and must take the bridge to press into the town. The ultimate Confederate goal is to secure the Federal arsenal which is presently being evacuated by Gen Georgia with the equipment being sent to aid McClellan in his drive against Richmond.

Georgia elected to evacuate the arsenal after seeing his defenses stripped too thin to hold against the Father General. The Father General is attacking without orders (actually against orders to hold) to prevent the complete evacuation of the arsenal. Basically, he's using the evacuation as an excuse to attack against orders.

This will be a terrible and bloody battle for both sides. Luckily each side has a surprise or two for the other...

Please note that with the exception of the commanding officers, you may play any side you want. If you prefer a side, please doodle (CSA) or (CSA) after your name. I know some of you will mistype and put (USA). It happens. I will make every effort to honor your side preference unless we require some balancing, in which case I will make an executive decision. If you do not prefer a particular side, please just leave your name and do not state any preference.

Example:

-CSA: Neal (CSA)
-Gen. M. T. oppressing the native peoples and committing every imaginable atrocity and abomination as I go Georgia (USA)
or
-Joe Smith
(Leave blank for no preference.)

So without any further adieu, here is your doodle.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Good luck!

Briefings to commanders soon.

-Neal
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

DOODLE - The Spartans of Harper's Ferry - First battle of the new campaign - DOODLE Empty Re: DOODLE - The Spartans of Harper's Ferry - First battle of the new campaign - DOODLE

Post  Uncle Billy Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:00 am

The Father General wrote:
-Gen. M. T. oppressing the native peoples and committing every imaginable atrocity and abomination as I go Georgia (USA)
A vile slur, sir. Is that nun from New Market, Innocentia, telling tales? She never had any complaints. I shall have my satisfaction on the field of glory, sir.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

DOODLE - The Spartans of Harper's Ferry - First battle of the new campaign - DOODLE Empty Re: DOODLE - The Spartans of Harper's Ferry - First battle of the new campaign - DOODLE

Post  Nathan B. Forrest Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:32 am

hey guys, last campaign didnt really have time to participate, but hopefully this time round i'll be able to join, John L Roberts is my name, is it possible I cant rejoin if my brigade is still in?
Nathan B. Forrest
Nathan B. Forrest

Back to top Go down

Post  M.Jonah Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:11 am

Done Sir!!
M.Jonah
M.Jonah

Back to top Go down

Post  kg little mac Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:13 pm

This looks like a sequel to the first (and last) Shenandoah Club versus campaign game.

The Father General throws his boys into the teeth of Union guns and gets canister for breakfast.

Better choose to play the Union side, Baldwin.
kg little mac
kg little mac

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:15 am

Mmm, cansiter with a side of toasty defeat!
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Baldwin1 Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:25 pm

I obviously had no hand in creating this nightmare scenario affraid or is it the FG's dream scenario?

I pray for the poor souls under the father general, if he would send his former chief of staff to his death without batting an eye, just imagine what he'll do to you?!

I may take an observer role to observe these war crimes firsthand and report my findings to Richmond. pale
Baldwin1
Baldwin1

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackstreet Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:08 am

My fellow Generals,

I have to say, I'm slightly surprised at the reaction to Neal's first scenario. Certainly it's very different from what we usually play.

Usually, we play a fairly balanced game, where both sides have lots of options, and either side might win.

But that's not really war is it.

To find ones-self in a situation one would really rather not be, is exactly what war is. Being ordered to do the unimaginable. Facing a vastly superior foe. Being forced to do things that don't seem to make sense.

One of the reasons I like KS is it allows me to immerse myself in the decisions and emotions of being put in a position I've never been, and see how I react. It gives me the chance to command huge formations in grand strategy. And that's what we do every week.

But it also allows us to be put in the position where we're assaulting over a bridge, in the face of death, and this is wholly realistic - scary as hell - but realistic. I don't think anyone should dismiss with a wave of the hand "there goes crazy Neal with one of his crazy scenarios" - well, maybe it is a crazy scenario, and good-on Neal, because that's my definition of war - a big heap of crazy scenarios.

So I'm curious as to why so many people have chosen to take US, and I gather there is little interest in taking the CSA in this game. Do you really want to stand behind rows of guns watching your score ticking up?

Or will you join me, as we storm that bridge, with the bullets whizzing through our ranks, and the shells bursting all around? And take part in one of the most spectacular scenarios that may ever have been set up for SOW?

WHO'S WITH ME?!!!

(End of rallying call-to-arms.)

Blackstreet
Blackstreet
Blackstreet

Back to top Go down

Post  kg little mac Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:21 am

Blackstreet wrote:My fellow Generals,

I have to say, I'm slightly surprised at the reaction to Neal's first scenario. Certainly it's very different from what we usually play.

Usually, we play a fairly balanced game, where both sides have lots of options, and either side might win.

But that's not really war is it.

To find ones-self in a situation one would really rather not be, is exactly what war is. Being ordered to do the unimaginable. Facing a vastly superior foe. Being forced to do things that don't seem to make sense.

One of the reasons I like KS is it allows me to immerse myself in the decisions and emotions of being put in a position I've never been, and see how I react. It gives me the chance to command huge formations in grand strategy. And that's what we do every week.

But it also allows us to be put in the position where we're assaulting over a bridge, in the face of death, and this is wholly realistic - scary as hell - but realistic. I don't think anyone should dismiss with a wave of the hand "there goes crazy Neal with one of his crazy scenarios" - well, maybe it is a crazy scenario, and good-on Neal, because that's my definition of war - a big heap of crazy scenarios.

So I'm curious as to why so many people have chosen to take US, and I gather there is little interest in taking the CSA in this game. Do you really want to stand behind rows of guns watching your score ticking up?

Or will you join me, as we storm that bridge, with the bullets whizzing through our ranks, and the shells bursting all around? And take part in one of the most spectacular scenarios that may ever have been set up for SOW?

WHO'S WITH ME?!!!

(End of rallying call-to-arms.)

Blackstreet

You sound like a famous British dude, Sir Douglas Haig -- 1 July 1916.
kg little mac
kg little mac

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:29 am

General Blackstreet inquires:
Yup. Plus Gen. Georgia pays in silver, not bibles. Very Happy
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  MajorByrd Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:25 am

If there is some restriction on Union gun placements I might, for one battle, be willing to play CSA but if you want me to run across a bridge to get ripped apart by 35 stock guns canistering, protected by infantry, on a ridge I'll have to pass. I like myself a little more maneuver.
MajorByrd
MajorByrd

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:23 pm

Wouldn't you prefer to command the guns? They're nice and shiny.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  MajorByrd Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:33 pm

Uncle Billy wrote:Wouldn't you prefer to command the guns? They're nice and shiny.

Who wouldn't considering the prospects Very Happy
MajorByrd
MajorByrd

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:21 pm

pray for the poor souls under the father general, if he would send his former chief of staff to his death without batting an eye, just imagine what he'll do to you?!

I may take an observer role to observe these war crimes firsthand and report my findings to Richmond. pale
Boo hoo hoo, poor General Blackstreet. All he has to do is cross one lousy bridge. Consider the plight of General Georgia. Here I am with an embarrassment of guns. Harper's Ferry stores a lot of guns. Even if I line them up hub to hub, I won't have enough room for them all. Then I'm going to have 4 divisions of men who are still hungover and therefore out of sorts because they have to get up earlier in the AM and go into battle against some lunatic who has nothing better to do on a Sunday. In addition, I've got a brigade of impatient savages who do not have any hair locks on their belts and are just itching to get at the rebs with their shaggy manes. Good luck holding them back. And putting a cherry on top of this mess, after I sweep the bridge clear and my men march into the enemy camp and begin looting it, all they are going to find are hair shirts and bibles. Not exactly what they signed up for.

A little sympathy for Gen. Georgia would not be out of place. Sad
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:15 am

This Doodle will close tomorrow.

Right now we're looking at March 9.

Who can reliably host?

-Neal
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:21 am

kg little mac wrote:

You sound like a famous British dude, Sir Douglas Haig -- 1 July 1916.

You may be pleased to know that in the original story of the Father General, he spends his postwar years in England and actually becomes a mentor to the young Haig, of all people. The FG dies just days after learning about the battle of the Somme, quite proud.

At least that's how the original story of the life of the FG went in the Shenandoah Club.
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  kg little mac Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:50 am

Yes, Neal. . . I remember saying you were more like Joffre than Haig. Plan 17 would be in the FG's wheelhouse.
kg little mac
kg little mac

Back to top Go down

Post  John Buford Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:43 pm

Father General wrote:

At least that's how the original story of the life of the FG went in the Shenandoah Club.

Laughing
John Buford
John Buford

Back to top Go down

Post  M.Jonah Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:50 pm

Damn miss another one:(
M.Jonah
M.Jonah

Back to top Go down

Post  kg little mac Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:13 pm

John Buford wrote:
Father General wrote:

Laughing

BUFORD!

My God man. . . I thought you dead!

Good to hear from you,

kg soldier aka kg little mac aka Mark.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

New teamspeak channel you can find there.
kg little mac
kg little mac

Back to top Go down

Post  John Buford Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:19 am

kg little mac wrote:
John Buford wrote:
Father General wrote:

Laughing

BUFORD!

My God man. . . I thought you dead!

Good to hear from you,

kg soldier aka kg little mac aka Mark.

One of my scouts finally found the Father General.
John Buford
John Buford

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down