Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1561 registered users
The newest registered user is Captsmoak

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Road March Harmful To Your Health

+5
Baldwin1
Blaugrana
Mr. Digby
Father General
Uncle Billy
9 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Road March Harmful To Your Health Empty Road March Harmful To Your Health

Post  Uncle Billy Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:22 pm

After our scenario game Baldwin and I were discussing the fatigue penalty for moving weary troops. I opened the Crampton's Gap csv file and was shocked to see that there is actually a penalty for marching along a turnpike but not for a lesser road. I traced the error and found that the author(s) of the Antietam and Pipe Creek maps used the the gray scale value of the Gettysburg sunken roads for the turnpike. However, they did not bother to change the fatigue penalty. Sloppy work. I will fix the maps so that the turnpikes do not cause fatigue, but sunken roads do. That way the maps will be consistent across the board. I'll make an announcement when I upload the new files onto the NSD site.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Road March Harmful To Your Health Empty Re: Road March Harmful To Your Health

Post  Father General Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:48 am

How did the game go?

I deliberately nerfed the Confederate fatigue in the scenario design to provide some balance to the game. Not like the federals ever really stood a chance given that Providence has bestowed such favor upon The Cause.

I heard the game ended early. Thunderstorm ended the battle...

A special and hearty THANK YOU to Gen'l Baldwin for doing most of the dirty work of scenario creation.

N
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:31 am

Neal, I think the fatigue became a game-breaking factor since the Rebel troops were so exhausted after their approach march that we had to halt and rest them for around 20 minutes before risking battle. To go into combat straight from the march (everyone was completely exhausted) would have been inviting certain defeat. By that stage, and just as our attack was going to start, we had only 45 minutes of game time left and the Rebs were still west of Burkittsville, so either way, I think the scenario as its now written would always give a Union victory.

Next time I'd suggest one of three options:

1) Either begin the Rebs rested or

2) Start them a fair bit closer or

3) Try the existing scenario again but with Uncle Billy's fixed roads.

And yes, sadly we had a player lose connection 1h 15m in just as things were getting interesting.

@ Uncle Billy - Doh! Sloppy work indeed. Good catch though.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:50 am

Now that's a ridiculous statement, sir!

Providence always bring victory to the faithful, fatigue or no!

That said, yes, I agree we should adjust the fatigue. Baldwin and I might be able to play test it this week. That might help calculate the adjustment.
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Blaugrana Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:33 pm

Thankyou, Neal and Baldwin for your work on this excellent scenario, and thanks to comrades and opponents for last night.

I enjoyed it and would love to take part in a reconvened battle or in a re-start.

The Rebels' exhaustion seemed fine to me - should have stayed home if they were worried about getting tired Very Happy

Blaugrana

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:15 pm

Obviously Digby is upset that his men were tired and slow and so they were beat into town by my boys in blue. By the time the rebs sauntered in, the silver and bourbon were gone. Sorry Digby. I guess it's sackcloth and ashes for your men. Crying or Very sad
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Baldwin1 Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:18 pm

If not for those blasted spikes on the turnpike we may have had the energy for an attack.
Baldwin1
Baldwin1

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:44 pm

We have no use for petty trinkets and false icons Genl Georgia!

"Just give us whiskey and women!"

"Who was that man? Who said that!?"

*stony silence in the ranks.*
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:01 am

I enjoyed playing this scenario as the Confederate commander, and would be keen to give it another go. Thanks to Neal & Baldwin for their efforts. Whilst the Confederate fatigue levels do need tweaking, I would not think you need to go too far in that direction, or the game will be unbalanced against the Union with their poorer quality troops. At the moment they do have the option of leaving the high ground, which makes their actions more difficult to predict, and increases replay value.

As the fervently religious and offensively-minded Father General, I was encouraged to play in character, even to the extent of ignoring sound military principles. This I tried to do, which was a lot of fun. Fear of casualties has no place in the Father General’s mind-set. Indeed the effusion of blood is something to be rejoiced in for its cleansing properties.

Although there was little fighting, the Father General experienced a succession of spiritual highs & lows in the course of the engagement. Here’s a summary .................

Indications were that the Union would occupy a strong position defending the gaps through a long ridgeline, so I came up with a plan which initially split our division into 3 components with the aim of deceiving the enemy by feinting at Crampton’s Gap, and then suddenly concentrating against the Brownsville Pass, further to the S. This was a risky plan and some of my brigadiers understandably expressed anxieties at our dawn staff conference. But of course the Father General made light of them. Subsequent reading of Psalm 45, verse 20 confirms that the plan would have been triumphantly successful.

A quick 8 am inspection revealed that all of our infantry were tired. It was estimated that we had just 2 hours to penetrate the ridgeline and reach Brownsville itself however, which made it necessary to press on if we were to have any chance making it. But it was a concern to all, even the Father General. Nevertheless, the troops moved off in good heart and my natural optimism swiftly reasserted itself. After all, I had left nothing to chance, even to the extent of ordering a sermon read to all ranks after breakfast, so what could possibly go wrong?

I had designated Ramseur’s Brigade to lead our advance to Burkettsville, from whence we would later launch our main attack against the Brownsville Pass. BG Ramseur was to command that sector in my absence. As it turned out Baldwin’s Texan Brigade was nearer the main road and soon drew well ahead of Ramseur’s. To avoid losing precious time, I therefore sent messages to both commanders telling them to swap responsibilities for scouting and column management, but perhaps could have been clearer, as both fine officers exhibited some confusion on command arrangements thereafter.

After 30 minutes of marching, the troops were making good progress, no reports had yet been received of enemy contact, and I was particularly cheered by a message from our detached brigade under BG Eldridge that he was already in his designated position to the N of Crampton’s Gap, and would be ready to start his diversionary attack within a reasonable time. Clasping my pocket bible to my breast, I gave thanks to the Almighty for Eldridge and his brave Mississippians.

Shortly thereafter I was reconnoitring in front of Crampton’s Gap with one of my other brigadiers, when the first dark clouds appeared. A message arrived from BG Baldwin near Burkettsville, advising that he had contact with small parties of enemy cavalry. This did not unduly concern me. However I soon espied a Union infantry brigade which was evidently moving S from Crampton’s Gap towards Burkettsville. In short order a further message was received from Baldwin that a full brigade of infantry was before him, followed by another which estimated the whole enemy force was there! This was not in the plan.

The risk was of course that Baldwin’s and Ramseur’s brigades near Burkettsville would be overwhelmed before the remainder of the division could come up to support them. Clearly the Lord was testing me. I immediately ordered our two brigades near Crampton Gap to move towards Burkettsville and support our boys there on their right flank. Unfortunately the approach march had left all regiments exhausted, and even the doughty BG Eldridge protested this order. Fearing for Baldwin & Ramseur, I nevertheless pushed Gordon’s Brigade southwards towards the Graham Farm. They were in no fit state to attack, but did at least attract a brigade of Union troops, which thankfully took up a defensive position, as if fearing one. That would mean one less facing our boys at Burkettsville. I also ordered our artillery forward to engage the enemy at long range.

A few minutes later, I was relieved to see Baldwin’s Brigade moving NW from Burkettsville towards Gordon’s new position. Baldwin’s men were evidently in reasonable order, although he had taken some casualties from long range artillery fire, and his troops were of course dead beat like all the others. Relief that our troops had not been defeated in detail buoyed the Father General’s spirits. Clearly the Lord had not deserted me.

A message now arrived from Ramseur, saying that he had found an enemy flank and thought he could push through the pass to Brownsville. This was not what I expected, and I sent off an immediate message back that he should march towards the sound of the guns, not away from them! I immediately felt remorse at this intemperance towards a gallant officer, but it was too late to recall the courier and moderate the tone of my dispatch. Impatience is a mortal sin, and I must reflect on that in the days to come.

At least Ramseur was now under orders to attack the enemy right flank as soon as he was able. With Baldwin, Gordon and our artillery operating in the centre, and Eldridge on the high ground and soon to attack the Union left, the Father General’s spirits rose once more. We had God on our side, better troops, and the enemy’s decision to fight us on lower ground as good as ensured their defeat.

At this point another dispatch arrived from Ramseur. Rather than mounting his attack, he was still marching away from the battle, and cheerily expressed the hope that he would greet the rest of the division in Brownsville soon! Had my courier been captured? Was he still on route? At any event, it appeared that God had seen fit to subject me to the Trials of Job, and poor Ramseur was his instrument!

I resolved to ride over to Burkettsville and see if I could spot Ramseur’s marching column. As I entered the town, I was appalled by the barbarities committed by the northern troops. Broken bottles were everywhere, a large amount of litter had been wantonly discarded, and an impertinent ‘humorous’ cartoon of Jefferson Davis adorned the wall of the Presbyterian chapel! It was a veritable Sodom & Gomorrah! At least I now knew what we are fighting against........

Ramseur was nowhere to be seen, so I hastily sent off another courier, ordering him back to the battle, and to attack the enemy from the S. There was no sign of the enemy in the direction of the Brownsville Pass, so this courier could hardly fail to get through. This would clearly take some time, but that was all to the good, as it would allow the other 3 brigades to recover before I ordered a coordinated attack. Once again the Father General’s confidence soared. Indeed visions of second Cannae danced before my eyes, with Ramseur and Eldridge uniting to surround the enemy, and a capitulation in the field.

The Almighty quite rightly chose to punish my hubris. It was at this point that the heavens opened, which brought the engagement to a premature close, and saved the blue-bellies, at least for a while.

Praise the Lord

The Father General

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:59 pm

Brig. Genl. Eldrige's Report on the late Action At Burkittsville

We saw a lot of d----d trees and a lot of d----d big hills! We pushed amidst the one and hauled our sorry behinds up the other, but of the enemy we saw b----r all!

End of report.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:39 pm

Yes, I can see you had a less than satisfying game.

That reminds me. On my ride over to Burkettsville, I looked back and saw your brigade on the heights a little N of Crampton's Gap, at least a mile away. Not your troops, but your flags. This was good news to me, but I shouldn't have had it, as visibility was supposed to be only 1,000 yds.

I don't think it was Baldwin's game settings, because on tests I've run, I get the same effect using poor visibility settings. I've sat on a hill and set a brigade marching away from me. The troops do disappear at say 1,000 yds, but the flags are still visible till 2,000 yds. It's better than nothing I suppose, but I don't think it should work that way.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:37 pm

On the contrary I had a great game. I always enjoy these designed scenarios, regardless of the outcome.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:16 pm

That's ok then. I trust you'll be as positive when I run mine Cool

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:34 pm

Brownsville, Md
Sept 4, 1862

Maj. General Lew Wallace

SIR: In accordance with orders received, I have the honor to submit the following report in regard to the actions of this division on Sept 2.

The morning found our brigades deployed as ordered. However, cavalry scouting reports of the enemy forces descending from the north convinced me that such a length of ridge line could not be held by my division alone. I therefore ordered a concentration of our forces west of Burkittsville. The open gound favored a defense and since the enemy was shown to be headed for that town, no doubt to pillage it, I felt our best chances for success lay in this plan.

As Col. McClennan was securing the town, the first enemy brigade appeared. Capt. Willard, who placed his artillery very well, immediately opened on this force. The rebels quickly retreated to a safer location.

The rest of our forces assembled. Our disposition was as follows; Gen. Tyler's brigade which made a quick march from Brownsville was positioned just below Crampton's Gap. Col. Truex deployed to Tyler's right facing north. Col. McClennan was still postioned west of town. Col. Henry moved to his right.

Two other enemy brigades arrived on the field and deployed north and west of town. This afforded our artillery many splendid targets and the men took no time in finding the range. The enemy was quickly driven to ground, hiding behind every fence and bush available.

One of their brigades began moving south away from the other two. To Col Henry's credit, whose men were within easy interception distance, repeatedly asked for permission to engage and drive the enemy from the field. This I refused. The brigade was moving away and therefore of no interest to me. We now had a two to one advantage against the remaining enemy forces.

Once this brigade had passed safely out of sight, Col. Henry cut the road and we began to intercept enemy couriers which gave us information regarding the enemy's intentions. The enemy commander had designs on Brownsville. Since Gen. Tyler had already safely secured the silverware and jewelry of the town, the enemy commander, that lunatic called Father General by his followers, would soon find his designs turn to ashes. However, this presented us with another opportunity to destroy an isolated brigade. Col. Henry was ordered to Crampton's Gap and told to prepare to march to Brownsville and destroy that tired brigade.

In the meantime, the enemy brigade facing Col. Truex moved closer to town and away from the brigade hiding in the woods on our left. I was about to order Cols McClennan and Truex to attack this force when the heavens opened upon the field. Coordinated movement was unfortunately impossible. The destruction of the rebel force will have to await another day.

Please discount any rumors of our noble men plundering the towns and farms of the area. The valuables and young ladies of the area were placed under our protection so as to not fall into the enemy's clutches. All will be returned once hostilities have ended. I was tempted to leave the enemy a keg or two of local spirits to wash the bitter taste of defeat from their mouths. However, I decided to deny them even this succor.

Respectfully, I remain your obedient servant,

M.T. Georgia,

Brig. General, Commanding Division
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Baldwin1 Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:34 am

Great AARs gentleman. Makes me want to continue the story from there, instead of replaying it. I could see the battle continuing after the rain lets up after a few hours. After all, it is still only 9:15 AM in the scenario, plenty of daylight left. We could have a part two of this with different objectives now that the situation has changed entirely so that a bit of mystery remains for the next time.
Baldwin1
Baldwin1

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:51 am

Baldwin1 wrote:Great AARs gentleman. Makes me want to continue the story from there, instead of replaying it. I could see the battle continuing after the rain lets up after a few hours. After all, it is still only 9:15 AM in the scenario, plenty of daylight left. We could have a part two of this with different objectives now that the situation has changed entirely so that a bit of mystery remains for the next time.

Baldwin, I am already on this. I am working on a story continuation now. I also have divergent story lines prepared based on the outcome of battle.

Perhaps in the meantime, we could give Kevin the file and ask him to modify the startlocs for his Division? He could position his men and that would make for a surprise for the Father General...

I trust him to do new startlocs of his choosing, but I do not know how the group would feel.
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Baldwin1 Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:52 am

Baldwin1 wrote:Great AARs gentleman. Makes me want to continue the story from there, instead of replaying it. I could see the battle continuing after the rain lets up after a few hours. After all, it is still only 9:15 AM in the scenario, plenty of daylight left. We could have a part two of this with different objectives now that the situation has changed entirely so that a bit of mystery remains for the next time.

I assume both sides pulled back and are repositioning?

Just remember to keep objectives and key aspects a secret on the forums. Wink

First things first, we got to see who can return this weekend and what day they can play.

Doodle Link
Baldwin1
Baldwin1

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:04 am

Baldwin1 wrote:

First things first, we got to see who can return this weekend and what day they can play.

Doodle Link

Baldwin, I spoke to Kevin, Cleburne and Baylor. They seem to be okay with modifying US startlocs. So if nobody has any objection, I propose you send the scenario file to Kevin. He may then modify the US startlocs within reason and return it to you for testing/inspection. Then you guys distribute it just before battle, whenever that ends up being.

Does that sound okay with everyone?

-N-

Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:06 am

Father General wrote:
Baldwin1 wrote:

Doodle Link

Baldwin, I spoke to Kevin, Cleburne and Baylor. They seem to be okay with modifying US startlocs. So if nobody has any objection, I propose you send the scenario file to Kevin. He may then modify the US startlocs within reason and return it to you for testing/inspection. Then you guys distribute it just before battle, whenever that ends up being.

-N-

And yes, CS startlocs remain the same. Bump up the CS fatigue to a reasonable level, but not all the way. They will have a night's rest, but still be a bit tired. Basically FG has been delayed for a day by poor weather. But he has a plan to deal with that...

Too bad the battle must be decided on a Monday. :-(

-N-
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:46 am

Father General wrote:[Baldwin, I spoke to Kevin, Cleburne and Baylor. They seem to be okay with modifying US startlocs. So if nobody has any objection, I propose you send the scenario file to Kevin. He may then modify the US startlocs within reason and return it to you for testing/inspection. Then you guys distribute it just before battle, whenever that ends up being.

-N-

As temporary FG I would have no problem at all with it. Am hoping I can make a game this weekend, but family commitments are a potential threat. I should know in 36 hours. My presence or absence shouldn't stop the rest of you though.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:48 pm

Father General wrote:Does that sound okay with everyone?
Unfortunately, while I was fine with a contuine scenario on the day, far too much has been given away on the forums and in TS now for this to work, particularly, I feel, with regard to Eldrigde's brigade which was positioned to hit the Union flank with a surprise and that surprise is now lost. I suggest we simply refight the scenario from the beginning with the fatigue levels slightly adjusted.

If we were to carry on, I'd ask that the startlocs used, be those taken from the battle as it was when we halted (presumably a game data dump was taken by someone? Baldwin?). Even so, I think the Union gets a small advantage out of this by having a good idea where all the Reb brigades now are.

We would need to keep the Rebs mostly tired, or at whatever level they were when we ended (although my brigade was fully and completely rested).
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:22 pm

Gen'l Digby,

The Federals will be badly surprised when they find themselves descending into the gaping maw of hellfire and damnation!

I posted a new story to explain the resolution of the first day's battle and why.

To reintroduce surprise, I suggest we allow Kevin to adjust his startlocs, or to request new, specific startlocs from a neutral moderator (I suggest Baldwin).

I further suggest we allow Martin (Father General pro tempore) to do the same, via Baldwin. This restores the opportunity for surprise, and in fact, it enhances it for both sides.

It is unfortunate that the heavens opened just moments before the surprise attack went in, but such are the vagaries of war. :-(

Also, if there's a lot of interest in the scenario and key players (Baldwin, Martin, et. al.) can't make it, then there's no reason why it can't wait another week or two. I do not have to play, although I'd like to.

Finally, with updated startlocs for both sides, we may find the scenario becomes, by virtue of collaborative, mutual posturing, even better. It may become so good that we choose to fight it repeatedly in the months to come when we want a particular challenge. At those times, both sides will have virtually perfect knowledge, but the scenario will still be as fun as a marathon Sunday service with the Father General. (That is fun, right?)

-N-
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:22 pm

How about restarting the scenario with CinC's that weren't part of the 1st run? John for the rebs and Khyrses for the union. That way nothing is spoiled. The rest of us are sworn to secrecy.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:28 pm

Uncle Billy wrote:How about restarting the scenario with CinC's that weren't part of the 1st run? John for the rebs and Khyrses for the union. That way nothing is spoiled. The rest of us are sworn to secrecy.

This is as good an idea as any. Can we start a poll or a vote? Majority wins. Ultimately, I'll go along with whatever is decided. It's just plain fun to play whatever happens.

-N-
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:31 pm

Based on the two possible outcomes of this scenario, (BTW) I do have two different follow-ups in the wings. The first is based on a Confederate victory where they march on Washington! The second is based on a Confederate victory where they march on Washington with General Georgia in a cage! Very Happy
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next