Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:24 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

» Scourge of war Waterloo remastered on Steam
by Martin Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:41 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30495 messages in 2294 subjects

I forgot my password

Mapping software?

3 posters

Go down

Mapping software? Empty Mapping software?

Post  Nomadicus Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:57 pm

Anybody tried making their own maps? I've toyed around with Wonderdraft, Inkarnate, and the like but it seems like the scale of map we want for kriegsspiel is kind of lost in the shuffle. Like you can make an amazingly detailed skirmish map for individual characters about the size of a farm or hamlet, or a continental or regional map that covers an area dozens or hundreds of miles across. But it seems very hard to find anything that does an area a few miles wide very well. The other problem is finding graphical assets. Lots of appropriate buildings or trees, but good hills are simply nonexistent. It seems like any existing hill graphics are isometric. Top-down hills might as well be photographic evidence of unicorns.

Nomadicus

Back to top Go down

Mapping software? Empty Re: Mapping software?

Post  Martin Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:35 pm

Hi Damon.  I'm not aware of any mapping software that hits your sweet spot, and would be interested if anyone else is.

An alternative is to find appropriate historical maps, and there we are better-served.  You can find links to various archived staff maps in our Maps section here

https://kriegsspiel.forumotion.net/f13-maps

The following is an example of a map of the Baden area of SW Germany.  Alone or in combination with others in the series, you could easily run a larger scale game.  Key terrain features, such as towns, rivers, streams, roads, marshes, woods, hills and mountains are all there.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4c/Charte_von_Schwaben_Tafel_11_Baden.jpg?uselang=en-gb

That one's in b&w but there are other maps in the section which are somewhat later, perhaps clearer, and in colour.  They might be more to a modern taste.

Not exactly what you were asking for, but I'm hoping it's of some assistance.

Martin J

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nomadicus Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:05 pm

Yeah, historical maps are where I usually start, but sometimes I find that I can't find a great map of a particular battlefield I'm looking for, or worse, I find an amazing map but it's only available online as a crappy low res jpg!

Some of us in the IKS are interested in potentially gaming the Mexican-American War but there is just an absolute dearth of good maps for it Sad

Nomadicus

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:12 am

Don't know if it will help in this case, but you might consider searching in a different language. I do that a lot when researching European wars, as frequently English sources are so limited.

If you are using Google, you an set the primary search language - in this case Spanish. You can even use a version of Spanish used in Latin America. Having made that selection, I use Spanish words for my search criteria.

Just a thought.

Martin J

Martin

Back to top Go down

Mapping software? Empty QGis

Post  marjo151 Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:15 pm

I some times use QGis to make maps from older ones, its also possible to add own features etc. Its a bit of a learning curve but many youtube videos about how to use it. As it is a "real" GIS its perhaps not as nice layouts etc as Inkarnate etc.

Best regards

M.

marjo151

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down