Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:24 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

» Scourge of war Waterloo remastered on Steam
by Martin Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:41 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30495 messages in 2294 subjects

I forgot my password

How to control artyllery as a battery commander

3 posters

Go down

How to control artyllery as a battery commander Empty How to control artyllery as a battery commander

Post  biflat Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:45 pm

Hi everyone!
First of all, thank you for the KS mod...it's amazing!
I'm new of this game, so there are still may things that I need to learn before beeing sure about how the game should works.

However, I'm having a lot of problem playing as an artillery commander (maybe this is not something a lot of you ever tried, but I was curious): every time I try to limber/unlimber the cannons something goes wrong and nothing happens. Sometimes I can unlimber the cannons, but then I cannot limber them again. I tried also far away from the enemies and I'm facing the same issue. Sometimes I can do that, but trying again with the same procedure right after...I have again the same problem.

Can you please explain me what the correct procedure should be?
And also... I have similar problems when I want to change the target options (infantyr only, arty only, ...).

I'm in this forum as well, so I apologise already if this is not the right section where to post.

Thank you for your help!
biflat
biflat

Back to top Go down

How to control artyllery as a battery commander Empty Re: How to control artyllery as a battery commander

Post  Uncle Billy Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:54 pm

Welcome to the forum. Glad to hear you are enjoying the mod.

Artillery will tend to unlimber and stay that way when they are not moving and an enemy unit is in range. If you want to move them to a new location, it is better to just select a new location for the battery and formation. All the guns should start to move there, first unlimbered but then limbered. Don't forget, it takes a minute of two to limber/unlimber. The time is based of the size of the guns, the experience of the crew and whether they are foot of horse batteries. Also don't forget that batteries will not unlimber if they are too close to the enemy. Horse guns can be closer if they are closely supported by friendly inf. or cav. None will unlimber if they are within 500 yd. of unlimbered enemy artillery.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

biflat likes this post

Back to top Go down

How to control artyllery as a battery commander Empty Re: How to control artyllery as a battery commander

Post  biflat Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:53 am

Thank you for your clarification!
I know that this was already written in the manual of the mod (I swear I've read it!). I just wanted to be sure about how to use the toolbar properly.
Based on your reply, I understand that the issue I faced is probably related to the willingness limbering the cannons before setting a new location for the arty unit.
I'll try the way you're suggesting then!

Thank you very much
biflat
biflat

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:25 pm

I also find that TCing the battery commander can help, forcing him to ignore what is happening around him and mindlessly obeying your order to move. Just don't try moving guns too close to enemy units (like into their own canister range, they do not like that). In addition once a battery has been in action for a while and the gunners are no longer fresh the whole battery can become quite "lethargic" and take a while to respond to orders. Just repeating an order that is apparently not being followed will usually make the situation worse.

If a battery gets scattered by an attacking enemy getting close to it and the guns move away it will take a very long time to get it back into a functioning unit again.

You will find it helps a battery to recover some of its sprightliness (!) to park it in reserve well away from threats for a while, and let it rest, though it's understandable that at the crisis of the battle every gun is usually needed.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  biflat Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:57 pm

I understand the problem having the arty too close to the enemy. But, as I was saying, I was facing order issues also far away from the fighting. Moreover, I still did not understand why I wasn't abe (this time during the fighting) to change the type of ammunition to be used. Maybe this will also take some time before the order can be actually considered by the unit?
biflat
biflat

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:21 pm

The type of arty ammo used is automatically determined by the target and it's distance from the gun.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

biflat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down