Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1561 registered users
The newest registered user is Captsmoak

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

commander casualty question in KS mod games

+4
Mr. Digby
Charmead
Jeanathan
conjotter
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

commander casualty question in KS mod games Empty commander casualty question in KS mod games

Post  conjotter Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:43 am

Hi.

I've been playing some of the SOW Waterloo KS mod scenarios solo (thanks to the designers) and notice brigade and division commanders usually die if they get anywhere near the front line.

Is this part of the KS mod, or just bad luck?

This doesn't happen often in the stock game.

Cheers, CJ.

conjotter

Back to top Go down

commander casualty question in KS mod games Empty Re: commander casualty question in KS mod games

Post  Jeanathan Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:31 am

This is a new addition in version 1.18, basically, if a Commander goes too far away from friendly units and too close to an enemy unit without the support of a friendly unit, the commander will die. This is to prevent forward scouting and raiding alone.

Jeanathan

Back to top Go down

commander casualty question in KS mod games Empty Re: commander casualty question in KS mod games

Post  Charmead Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:31 am

Its just another tactic by Kevin to pilfer saddlebags of valuables from leaders. He used to just ride his horse real close to you, lean over, and swipe things. Or send an armed courier to do his dirty work. Now he just kills you automatically and salvages anything valuable from the wreckage. Its a Napoleonic version of cyber-theft, that's all
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

commander casualty question in KS mod games Empty Follow up Question

Post  conjotter Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:32 am

Hi.

Thanks for the reply.

A follow up question.

When a division or brigade commander is killed, does the game automatically assign the next officer in the chain of command as a replacement?

If not, is it a change being considered?

conjotter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:50 am

A replacement commander is spawned immediately but he usually spawns some distance away. I think it is div CO for brigadiers and corps CO for division commanders but I haven't studied the game's logic on exactly where it spawns new officers.

You raise a fair point however in that this change was implemented to deal with some issues arising from MP games. It would not be a problem in SP. For SP you may be best sticking with version 117, or at least keep the SowAiInf.dll file from v117 which is in the Modules folder of the mod.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Captal Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:04 am

The leader casualty mod made our MP game on Wednesday night almost unplayable.  Uncle Billy and Scauispo can provide their forensic perspectives as more experienced players, but dying repeatedly while standing ~50 yards behind a formed brigade was not a lot of fun and really damaged the continuity of the game.
Captal
Captal

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:13 pm

I don't think something loaded properly in the game Weds. For instance, the corps commander wasn't in the courier list. Also, Tom did not get the end of game screen when we finished. No previous game showed this behavior, including Sunday's, so I don't think it is overly worrisome. However, I can shorten the distance to enemy to 250 yd. and we can try that today.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:23 pm

The only person that made any sense besides the obvious was Charmead!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:45 pm

Mike

Are you trying to sweet talk me into joining the ranks of the Allies?
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:13 pm

I am trying to save you from the megalomaniac Marching Thru Spain, his death is imminent.  cheers

Last edited by Morsey on Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:16 pm

MTG = Marching Through Galicia.

Kevin, what about a non-dying generals .dll file for SP players?
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:35 pm

Galicia is yet unspoiled, a condition I plan to rectify in short order.

When I changed the enemy distance, I also put in the provision that this would be for MP games only.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:56 pm

Interesting, so the .dll file is able to differentiate SP and MP play? That's cunning.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  scauispo Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:48 pm

Of the 3 KS games I took part in last wed. my avatar died 7 times in total. Only once was he out in front of his troops asking for it. Otherwise he was behind his lines. There may be some unforeseen ramifications to tweeking avatar behaviour in 118.
scauispo
scauispo

Back to top Go down

Post  SJDIII Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:05 pm

I have seen subordinate commanders under AI control die as well, because the AI doesn't seem to know the new death rule.

Maybe when it's tweaked a bit it will help/stop.
SJDIII
SJDIII

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:37 pm

You able to join us today Steve?

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:10 pm

This only affects player avatars, not AI controlled commanders. They still die the old fashioned way.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  conjotter Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:25 pm

Where can I download the 1.17 version?

I would like to avoid this dead commander situation.

I'm a newby and only have 1.18.

Thanks.

conjotter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:32 pm

This is the v117 AI .dll file. I have named it so it won't overwrite the v118 one. Unzip and move it into your KS Napoleon Mod II 118/Modules folder. Rename the existing one to back it up then rename this one to SowAiInf.dll

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xtoke4f7pvswyof/v117_SowAiInf.rar?dl=0
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Captal Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:39 pm

How were the leader casualties during the Astorga game?
Captal
Captal

Back to top Go down

Post  conjotter Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:48 pm

Thanks Mr. Digby.

conjotter

Back to top Go down

Post  conjotter Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:11 pm

Hi.

That fix didn't work for me, probably because I am not very good at dealing with files.

If the mod designers are planning a future update (1.19?), perhaps they could consider amending the officer casualty system to make it less lethal.

It would be helpful if the officers could be close enough to their troops to benefit from their leadership.

Another suggestion would be for replacement officers to spawn closer to their formation when a commander is killed.

Thanks again for the KS mod. It's my go-to version of the game now even though I play solo.

conjotter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:21 pm

You're welcome.

How were the leader casualties during the Astorga game?

I died twice, once by being caught up in hand to hand fighting and once because I was standing about 150 yds ahead of my gun line and presumably too close to the enemy (200 yds? Not sure).

I think both Spanish cavalry generals died but its quite likely they too were involved in melees.

If you keep tight behind your own lines and near friends there seems to be no risk which is what I did after my first death. Later on I was in the thick of it with enemy cavalry charges all around my squares and such and was okay other than the obvious enemy dragoon sword through the ribs.

As to other players I saw the French cavalry commander die at 09:17 but he was far too close to our lines and away from friends so that was okay.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

commander casualty question in KS mod games Empty Commanders dying well outside of musket range

Post  conjotter Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:31 pm

Hi.

Just a follow up comment.

While playing a scenario as the British player units from my two infantry brigades were fighting a French infantry brigade.

No artillery.

Within minutes both my brigade commanders were killed even though they were:

1) well behind the firing line.

2) were outside of musket range. About 250 yards.

If my units can't fire at that range, and the enemy units can't fire at that range, it doesn't make sense that the commanders should die at that range.

conjotter

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:11 pm

The brigade commanders must have been TC'd. If they are 300 yd. or less from the enemy and more than 300 yd from a friendly unit they will die. Use the dll Digby put up and you won't have to worry about any of that. The next version of the mod will change the enemy distance to 250 yd and remove the effect completely for SP.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next