Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Impromptu Games
by Grog Today at 6:54 pm

» Odd/glitchy AI
by Mr. Digby Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:30 pm

» download/install
by Uncle Billy Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:06 am

» Napoleonics in the age of technology and streaming
by Miko77 Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:49 pm

» Set Up for SOWWL NAPOLEON GAMES For Kriegspiel style
by rschilla Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:45 pm

» AARs - post here all after battle comments and replay files
by risorgimento59 Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:55 pm

» Objectives in the Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:56 pm

» How do you save a multiplayer game in SOW
by RickMandar Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:11 pm

» Saturday game
by DumpTruck Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:45 am

» KS Napoleon Mod Version 1.33 and KS Supplemental Maps 1.23 Has Been Uploaded
by jlan5031 Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:01 pm

» Selling large 18th C terrain model.
by Nathangun Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:08 am

» For all SOW players
by PraetoriaXXI Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:30 pm

Statistics
We have 926 registered users
The newest registered user is Hammy

Our users have posted a total of 28256 messages in 2145 subjects

I forgot my password

Set Up for SOWWL NAPOLEON GAMES For Kriegspiel style

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Go down

Set Up for SOWWL NAPOLEON GAMES For Kriegspiel style - Page 20 Empty Re: Set Up for SOWWL NAPOLEON GAMES For Kriegspiel style

Post  Mr. Digby on Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:41 am

So only the skirmish units? I don't like them either and they are very easy to fix by editing the scenario file and changing the numbers in column AM of the csv file (use Excel or freebie spreadsheet software) and alter all the values to "0" and then in those units that you do want to be able to skirmish set that value to "1".

That restores the old skirmish system.

I use a system of only a single "1" capable unit per brigade, unless its a French brigade of 6 or more battalions when I set a second one to "1". Some brigades (noteably British) have several "light" units but be careful with these as most "light" units in the British army of this period fought in close order the same as the line regiments, but a few such as the 5/60th, 95th, Portuguese Cacadores, KGL lights, etc should all be able to skirmish. I suggest setting the SECOND unit in each brigade to be able to skirmish and if you ned a second one, then the FIRST unit. Or, failing that, the one that is clearly labelled as a light unit which you can identify in column I of scenario.csv

The Austrians have some skirmish-heavy brigades as well, such as their jager brigades.

Spanish - don't bother! If they had skirmish units they really were not very effective, but you can make all the guerilla units skirmish capable.

Alternatively you can simply keep all the OOBs from v1.31 and use them with v1.32.

I would also give the new skirmish units a second chance. They can be quite effective if you let the AI do its thing. They do sometimes do daft things like go off and recon a wood 500 yards in your rear or something like that but they are not completely ineffective. I play opposite them all the time and they can be a real pain.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Set Up for SOWWL NAPOLEON GAMES For Kriegspiel style - Page 20 Empty Re: Set Up for SOWWL NAPOLEON GAMES For Kriegspiel style

Post  DumpTruck on Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:26 pm

If the skirmishers were standing around doing nothing it may have been due to enemy cavalry being near by. They have a somewhat limited leash that ties them to their parent unit I think, so perhaps they were deployed, but the enemy was too far away. The commander's status also influences how many of the groups there will be. The more aggressive the stance the less skirmisher groups there will be.

I find them to usually do their job. They can be a bit chaotic at times but such is war. Sometimes the enemy cavalry will show up an an inopportune moment but you're not losing too many men if you lose a skirmisher group.

DumpTruck

Back to top Go down

Post  rschilla on Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:45 pm

So only the skirmish units?

That's as far as I got. Like I said, I didn't have a lot of time. I did DL v 1.33 and the new map mod so I might give those a shot soon.

rschilla

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum