Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

The Arrival - PBEM Sci Fi Kriegsspiel

5 posters

Go down

The Arrival - PBEM Sci Fi Kriegsspiel Empty The Arrival - PBEM Sci Fi Kriegsspiel

Post  Father General Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:49 pm

I'm dreaming up a Sci Fi Kreigsspiel, PBEM. The basic premise is aliens arrive on Earth. What happens next will be up to the players...

I'm willing to run the game myself at some future point.

Question: Have any of you run a sci-fi type KS game? Any experience with unconventional themes?

-Neal
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

The Arrival - PBEM Sci Fi Kriegsspiel Empty Re: The Arrival - PBEM Sci Fi Kriegsspiel

Post  Ike Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:57 pm

No KS's but I GM'd a couple of long-running FRPG campaigns, including one that contained battles - 25mm figures of course - a parliament, religious strife, and similar fun stuff and that last one ran for two and half years. So I have some practical experience and if it's PBEM, that's fairly easy logistically. Also have some ideas, etc for such things.
Ike
Ike

Back to top Go down

The Arrival - PBEM Sci Fi Kriegsspiel Empty Re: The Arrival - PBEM Sci Fi Kriegsspiel

Post  Martin Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:53 am

My eldest (Phil) has run a couple of off-beat games at Little Gaddesden, featuring zombie outbreaks at the local school. These worked very well, and were a real hoot too.

Players represented different cliques among the students (nerds, prefects, bullies, jocks etc), each with their own stereotypical pros and cons. A fun one was the newly-arrived Japanese exchange students. Great at combat, but their map of the school was in a script they couldn't read!

The game featured some unusual admin techniques, and combat and fatigue were tracked by a battery of laptops. I can imagine you will find some of that could be useful to you.

He's really tied up until Sunday, but I'll get him to contact you after that.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:54 pm

There have been alien arrival megagames run by the usual crowd that hosts these things in south London. I saw a hilarious YouTube report from one team about one of these.

There's an umpire team, one of whom is a press officer who produces newspaper articles every turn (and who wanders around all the teams asking for interviews or listening in on conversations to dig up the dirt).

An aliens team.

Then teams from as many different countries as you need. In each team there is a head of state (who cannot visit any other team at all and must make the decisions), a head of the armed forces (who issues military orders and is the only team member allowed to see the umpires military world map) and a diplomat (who is allowed to go talk to other teams and who must submit each teams orders each turn). I think there might have been a 4th player in each team who was a head scientist/industrialist whose task was to gather alien tech and apply it to their own states economy or military and either gain peaceful tech prestige points or beef up their military (you had to follow one path or the other so this was a dove or hawk choice IIRC).

The game looked like a huge amount of fun and was all conducted in one day in an enormous hall or gymnasium with the umpire team up on a stage at one end and the aliens team closed off in a separate room at the other.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Ike Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:14 pm

If I'm the aliens, what's my motivation? Not likely to be truffles or vodka or BBQ ... hmmm ... new land for my people seems most likely. Also, if the aliens have arrived, does that mean they're in orbit around the earth? If so, we lose, as they can 'throw rocks' at us and we can't stop them. That is to say, kinetic energy strikes from near earth orbit can't be intercepted and are devastating in their impact. Also, not nuclear so no radiation to spoil the landscape when the developers move in. Some other motivation or scenario?
Ike
Ike

Back to top Go down

Post  kg little mac Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:47 am

They need our women for breeding purposes.
kg little mac
kg little mac

Back to top Go down

Post  Ike Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:19 am

Seems unlikely to me.  For their version of BBQ?  More likely, I think.  Wink Whatever their motivation and purpose, once they have control of LEO/NEO we're done. Wink
Ike
Ike

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down