Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1561 registered users
The newest registered user is Captsmoak

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Napoleonic HITS Game Feb 7-8

+6
MJP
kg little mac
Martin
Mr. Digby
Mark87
Uncle Billy
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Napoleonic HITS Game Feb 7-8 - Page 2 Empty Re: Napoleonic HITS Game Feb 7-8

Post  MJP Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:52 pm

No worries at all Tom, as they say, all's well that ends well and despite our horrible beginning we pulled out a victory in the end. You'll be happy to note that you last battalion fought on and counterattacked towards the close of the battle. And don't worry about getting killed, I did as well that game and like you had to ride back to my army a world away. In my case though, I was in the south and re-spawned by the northern bridge, so as C-in-C it actually gave me an advantage because i got to see the situation at the bridge without actually having to ride there.

On another note, this was a stressful fight early on. Trouble crossing the bridge, guns getting shot off, it all started off about as poorly as it could. Once we got settled down however, Pepe of Villaflor saw an opportunity and exploited it tremendously by smashing up a few brigades of French while Mark in the north somehow managed to keep enough enemy busy that in the end we were able to defeat the french army in detail. Funny enough, this was our biggest pre-game concern. I guess it pays to have the interior lines. For me, the turning point of the battle was when Pepe sent me a courier asking to attack the French to his south with his two brigades. It was only at that moment that i took my head out of the sand i had been sulking in and realized that we had a real opportunity and we went at Jones and Digby with the full fury of the 9. Wurst Artillery. After inflicting a serious reverse in the south, Pepe of Antietam marched his Austrian columns north and sent Wrede and the rest of the Bavarian host packing. One interesting point was that Pepe sent his lead brigade back to the north under AI control while he himself was very far in the south. I tried to warn him that there were two cuirassier regiments about 200 yards from his helpless Austrian columns of division and about the only useful thing I did all battle was ride my personal officer/avatar next to Pepe's brigade pretending that i had control of them so that the Cuirassiers wouldn't charge them and destroy them in column while they were unable to form square. Pretty sad that was the highlight of my usefulness.

Regarding the Austrian/French Artillery conversation we had post game, i ran a test after using the 1809 OOB in a sandbox game. I played in "god" mode with AI on so i had total control of both sides and i put an Austrian gun battery in line ordered to cannister at artillery targets and then i moved a French battery up to within cannister range to unlimber and shoot the Austrians. I did this about three times and each time the Austrian battery blew the French battery away before it ever got to unlimber. So maybe Martin/Digby is right and that Mark and I basically hosed it up somehow in the battles over the past two days. Hmrph.

Matt
MJP
MJP

http://www.firstlegionltd.com

Back to top Go down

Post  7thGalaxy Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:16 pm

Thanks Matt - I'm glad they ended well! It was a shame I died just at that critical moment, as the French tried to take the bridge - I suspect the regiments holding the line fell back, then the others got eaten by cavalry, with no troops holding the bridge they could have streamed across.

I do feel that line infantry don't have enough of an advantage against column in terms of firepower. I had 3 battalions firing at the bridge - which had a front of maybe 4 or 5 men, so about 15 in real life.

I can't imagine anyone forcing a bridge against 1200 muskets? Or is something being abstracted?

Tom

7thGalaxy
7thGalaxy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:12 pm

I'm not happy about the volume of fire put out by lines either. We have discussed this before. I think part of it is that troops move too fast and so are not exposed to fire for long enough, I've been advocating slowing everything down for a little time now. I think musketry at the lower ranges should be more deadly as well.

Mind you Napoleon took the bridge at Rivoli with a headlong charge didn't he? That was a timber structure only about 5 or 6 men wide - so 1 or 2 sprites in our scale! A lot depends on the mindset of the defenders. In one instance 1,200 men can put out a devastating amount of fire (e.g. the British guards at Waterloo) but then again sometimes 1,200 tired and nervous men might hardly hit a thing and be intimidated by a determined charge (e.g. Cuesta's men at Talavera). Its very hard to be objective with these situations - we only remember the instances that go against our favour. On the occasions our troops behave as we expect them to, we forget, so subjectivity can distort our views.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark87 Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:46 pm

Sounds like the French suffered a defeat Sunday. It is too bad that Napoleon was too busy with ikea to defend his Empire. Josephine has had him completely redoing his house. No more muskets in the dining room, Don Troiani paintings limited to his office, black powder supplies downstairs in a newly bought fishing box, and books limited to office, living room and spare bedroom!!!

She even made me get rid of my beanbags and get real couches.

mon dieu.
Mark87
Mark87

Back to top Go down

Post  Ike Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:27 pm

"With Imperial duties to be done, to be done, an Emperor's lot is not a happy one."

Ike
Ike

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:53 pm

Mark wrote:Napoleon was too busy with ikea to defend his Empire
Bernadotte's Swedish treachery is obviously making its "mark" already.

Josephine has had him completely redoing his house.
Two words: Marie Walewska

black powder supplies downstairs in a newly bought fishing box...
What are you slinging over your shoulder these days? I have a .54 cal. Hawken that I built from a Thompson Center kit back in 1980. It's been put to use hunting elk, deer and bear in the mountains, but mostly at the range. Also have a BP pistol, an out-of-repair (but looks great) Kentucky rifle, and Bowie knife all built from kits. Oh, and almost forgot. I also built a black-powder side-by-side 12 gauge that was lots of fun -- though not what you want to be carrying in a busy duck blind or pheasant field because of the reload rate.

As for Sunday's escapade, there were two winners: The French -- and Pepe of Vilaflor. We had the Austrians so badly beaten at the objective that Kevin and I were doing high-fives. That is, until HE showed up Shocked

Last edited by WJPalmer on Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

http://rwberg53.wix.com/adventure-images

Back to top Go down

Post  kg little mac Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:06 pm

Interesting battle. My first game with a cavalry command: 2 squadrons (one light, one heavy) and a 6 gun battery.

My orders were to send the heavy cavalry across the river near the objective in reserve for our final stand and to use my light cavalry and guns, along with Tom's infantry brigade, to screen the French long enough for MJP to get across the southern bridge and then to slow the French advance north as long as possible.

Not long after the battle started, French infantry and silver-helmeted cavalry appeared to the north in large quantity. I set up my guns and brought up two squadrons. The French showed no intention of slowing down, so I committed one squadron to hit the lead infantry battalion. French cavalry intervened and I had to pull back.

Tom had set up his brigade a few hundred yards behind me so I moved the guns to his position and moved my light cavalry up to threaten the advancing French. I slowed the advance enough so that MJP was able to get across the bridge sans one battery that went rogue.

Pepe of Villaflor had warned MJP that once the French got guns on the high ground across from the southern bridge, that there would be no chance of holding them there. And that's exactly what happened.

MJP's guns were driven off and the French starting forcing the bridge crossing. MJP's infantry was intact and pulled back away from the French massed guns and I could see Pepe's boys formed up behind MJP, so I thought they could hold there with relative ease.

The fact that I only saw two French infantry brigades near the southern bridge caused me to worry about French infantry marching north to my west. I didn't see any, but knew they must be there.

French infantry and cavalry continued to press me north. Tom's brigade deployed nicely by my guns, but soon I had to order him north to the objective bridge. I screened the French masses until he was safely across but it was too late for my guns, so I sent them farther north and never saw them again. That was it for my light cavalry brigade. They did pretty well against the silver-helmeted French. I was down a hundred or so points, but my heavy cavalry and Tom's brigade were safely across the objective bridge. I crossed over to take command of my heavy cavalry.

Tom deployed nicely to protect the bridge. I lined up my heavy cavalry behind him. I was worried about the north and rode that way with two squadrons. Lo and behold, as I reached the crest of the hill to the bridge's north, I saw a brigade of infantry (Mike's boys) coming toward Tom's rear.

It was then that Tom announced he had been killed and spawned clear across the map. That triggered Kevin to send his cavalry across the bridge. I was north of Tom trying to harass and slow Mike. I rode back to where I could see the bridge and saw Kevin's cavalry routing Tom's helpless regiments. One of my cavalry squadrons engaged and broke a couple of French squadrons but then fell apart.

I had held up Mike for as long as I could, and with Tom's boys smashed, I figured it would all be over pretty soon. I brought my last three squadrons up to the bridge and did as much damage as I could. One of them retreated across the river and the other two routed after fighting hard. So I rode across the bridge to gather my last squadron.

Things looked bleak from where I stood. Masses of French battalions in full control of the bridge. I was pretty sure most of the French cavalry at that point was fairly weakened. But I didn't think even Pepe of Villaflor could save the day. I saw him in his full glory sitting tall in the saddle on the high ground above the bridge, his men jeering the French, daring them to attack. As I rode off, the French obliged and started marching up the steep slope. I thought it would be the last time I saw Pepe alive.

I gathered my last squadron and starting fighting my way back to the bridge. It took a while as my boys were very tired. When we finally crossed back to the east side of the river, my spirits lifted. The French seemed to have disappeared. Only broken and fleeing Frenchmen in sight. Pepe of Villaflor was at the front of his line, leading us to glory.

Three cheers for Pepe of Villaflor, our Austrian hero.

We have found our antidote for the little fellow.
kg little mac
kg little mac

Back to top Go down

Post  7thGalaxy Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:23 pm

It was then that Tom announced he had been killed and spawned clear across the map.

Yeah I thought afterwards that I shouldn't have let anything on! I was just highly surprised to suddenly be a few km away! I wondered if there were any special rules for KS on the topic, especially as I was to the rear of the French (and thus had quite a bit of intelligence that could have been useful about their reserves (of course I didn't pass it on)).

Anyway, I know now!
7thGalaxy
7thGalaxy

Back to top Go down

Post  kg little mac Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:50 pm

I was joking about your announcement triggering Kevin's attack, Tom. He couldn't have known it was your boys defending the bridge -- unless he saw you get killed. I think it was simply bad timing. Or that Kevin is a sneaky you-know-what!
kg little mac
kg little mac

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark87 Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:02 pm

Palmer,

I have been busy making paper cartridges for my Chassepot Rifle; its an original from 1867 used in the Franco-Prussian War. It was stamped as issued to the 51st line regiment, 3eme Corps, Army of the Rhine.

I also have a 1745 Brown Bess I made from a kit. I have it stamped tower and its as close as possible to what was carried at Culloden. Hardest part was making the damn ramrod.

Lastly, I have a '61 Springfield.

I have two more originals, 1846 squirrel gun from a Pittsburgh manufacturer and a older rifle that is un-shootable.

Love my blackpowder. "Josephine" thinks its a mess but enjoys shooting, she has a 9mm, a 45, and a 22 cal. AR15.

We are total opposites..... she drives a big truck and I drive a Honda FIT.
Mark87
Mark87

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:17 pm

Actually, I thought my cavalry charge was the author of Tom's demise. I'm sorry it wasn't. Twisted Evil

Once Ron and I finished off the bridge defenders, Pepe showed up with one brigade. That didn't prove much of a problem because Mike's Bavarians arrived at about the same time. Ron and Mike's battalions were making such fine progress that I had told my orderlies to begin preparing my evening meal, frog legs with soft cheese, of course. It was about then that this huge mass of ice cream men arrived on the field and spoiled the celebration. These turned out to be Pepe's 2nd brigade and the remnants of Matt's. Talk about an instantaneous reversal of fortune.

A most disagreeable outcome. Sad
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:52 pm

little mac wrote:He couldn't have known it was your boys defending the bridge -- unless he saw you get killed. I think it was simply bad timing

We didn't know who was defending the bridge (at least I didn't). Kevin and I were too busy cobbling together an attack plan to notice any Austrian muckety-mucks keeling over across the way. In fact, I was under the impression Tom's TS indiscretion came after our attack began, but I could be wrong about that.

As for the attack itself: a thing of beauty (he says with all modesty) Embarassed. Kevin was concerned that the Austrian battalions barring the way on the east side would immediately go to square as soon as he appeared on the bridge. I was afraid the Austrian horse soldiers staring at us from a mere 50-75 yards behind their foot-bound comrades would turn my lead columns to sausage before the maelstrom even began. So, the decision was made to have infantry lead but with Kevin's cavalry right on their heels and hope for the best. Fortunately for us, the Austrian cav never did respond, my infantry dispatched the Austrian battalions quickly in melee, and Kevin was able to blitz right through to do the things horsey-guys do. It was fun to watch. I only wish I'd had the presence to take some screen shots.
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

http://rwberg53.wix.com/adventure-images

Back to top Go down

Post  7thGalaxy Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:12 pm

It was quite terrifying to watch! Especially as the bridge blocked Los, so I couldn't quite tell how many french were massing. I had hoped to have more arty support from the ridge, it had been the original plan as I understood it.

What is the best way to deal with an oncoming french column? Lines of regiments so they have to batter through multiple ones? I'm not too sure about the melee mechanics - do columns have an advantage?

7thGalaxy
7thGalaxy

Back to top Go down

Post  Iberalc Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:10 pm

I didn’t fire a shot for the first hour of any of last weekend’s battles and I had the biggest divisions too. So no wonder my troops were the core of the remaining Austrian forces at the end of both encounters. Having said that, it was very satisfactory to play the role of the US 7th Cavalry in Second Alagon.

We had some 3 good miles to walk to the assigned position on the east bank of the river, so the rank started to sing. On arrival, I was ordered to take a brigade south, then to form a defensive line on high ground and later to pull back some hundred yards north, closer to the bridge.

Matt took his brigade to answer an outflanking move to our east, to my front I could see two Bavarian batteries deploying and I knew there was at least a French infantry brigade.
I couldn’t pull back and expose Matt’s flank on my left, and the attack on the bridge was developing on my rear right, so I thought it will be better to give those boys downthere something in exchange for their canister, eaverything would be better than sitting there, and maybe a brigade won’t be enough. I asked Matt to attack, the go ahead! came and the first enemy rounds just when my battalions started to move. bom

I sent 8,000 men down the hill in column of battalions in two massive waves and with Matt’s “golden jackets” we pushed French and their allies south almost to Burnside’s bridge.

When heading back north I got a courier from Mark Soldier reporting he was delaying enemy infantry moving towards the bridge from the north, you did a great job with the cavalry.

And then some couriers from our CinC; ride north, ride faster, ride, ride... faster.

Matt wrote:Pepe sent his lead brigade back to the north under AI control while he himself was very far in the south. I tried to warn him that there were two cuirassier regiments about 200 yards from his helpless Austrian columns of division and about the only useful thing I did all battle was ride my personal officer/avatar next to Pepe's brigade pretending that i had control of them so that the Cuirassiers wouldn't charge them and destroy them in column while they were unable to form square.

I TCed the brigade general, if not they would have charged the cavalry. What a performance, you saved a whole brigade from certain destruction. I was riding north fearing to see my casualties skyrocketing at any moment.

When I arrived to the hill, I saw a mixed battery of Austrian and French guns (used to be mine), joined my leading brigade, but to my front and left I could see very little because some wooden walls and the deep slopes I just saw the flags of my men and the Bavarians attacking them, my men started to give ground and rout. My second and biggest brigade arrived just in time to reinforce the line and push back the attackers.

For the first time I deployed a battery on good ground and started moving slowly towards the bridge, we arrived there just when our old foes from the south were coming from the opposite side.

For a while I was chasing French guns in a corn field. What a nightmare looking for them and trying to deploy them facing the bridge.

I am happier the way I handled my troops in First Alagon, maybe because I had all my units concentrated within sight and fairly close while in Second Alagon most of the time I had some of my units far away.

Thanks to all players, specialy to Kevin for the scenarios.
Iberalc
Iberalc

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2