Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Adventure Images

5 posters

Go down

Adventure Images Empty Adventure Images

Post  WJPalmer Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:25 am

Just for fun, a few weeks ago I created a photography/graphics webpage, designed a logo, and reserved a trade name (Adventure Images) in case I want to make something of this hobby some day when I grow up. Thought I'd share the link here on the chance someone might want to take a peek. You may recognize some of the pictures from past posts. The images were taken from lots of places, including many at or near my home in Colorado Springs.

It's all a work in progress, but at least the framework is in place.

http://rwberg53.wix.com/adventure-images
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

Back to top Go down

Adventure Images Empty Re: Adventure Images

Post  Iberalc Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:47 am

Very nice photos, one can stare at them for a good while letting his brain to travel and feel.

Iberalc
Iberalc

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:35 pm

Some very fine work there Ron. I hope someone drops by to offer you some money to use some of those. Your Antietam 150th images are especially atmospheric.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Adventure Images Empty contact for you

Post  Robert M Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:43 pm

Ron,
Seeing your work immediately puts another person in mind.... a remarkable photographer, artist, jeweler, you name it.... she currently works for the EPA, but does Photo on the side.... but that is what she is going to do full time in a couple of years....

I believe she has done some publishing, and has some photos in National Geo.... not sure there....

Name is Jackie Kramer... you can find her very easily by searching name and Photography.... you both seem to shoot alot alike in some ways....

She currently lives in Alaska, and has a place in Florida too.... a good contact perhaps....

Robert M
Robert M

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:07 pm

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I've had a handful of images picked up here and there. Probably the most unusual one was a shot taken in the UK a few miles north of Liverpool a year and a half ago. It was an image of the very old church at Much Hoole -- and BBC History Magazine thought it worth £50 for the right to print it in a piece they were preparing on the History of British Astronomy. Somewhat coincidentally, the church, which had been built by my 10th great-grandparents, was also the hangout of Jeremiah Horrocks, a mathematical astronomer who calculated, and then was the first to observe, the Transit of Venus across the sun on 24 November 1639. This thing happens only once every 243 years, but then twice within an 8 year span.

The lesson I learned here was that, if you can't be smart yourself, it's good at least that your ancestors were wise enough to associate with smart people. ;-)
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:24 pm

So you've visited the UK previously? When was that? If you plan to come again us KS boys can entertain you with a game or a meal and a few beers.

I would like to see that photo of Much Hoole church.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:44 pm

I've had the pleasure of visiting your beautiful country on 4 or 5 occasions, most recently in June 2012. The time before that was in 2009 when we spent a few days in London and Portsmouth before crossing the Channel to observe D-Day's 65th commemoration. A really memorable experience!

Thanks for your kind invitation. I may very well take you up on that, Martin!

A few more images of 2012 England (including several more relating to Transit of Venus and Jeremiah Horrocks)
And some of Scotland & Isle of Skye from the same trip

Below is the image that appears in BBC History (November 2012 issue). Guess that makes it about 2 1/2 years rather than 1 1/2. How time flies. ;-)

Adventure Images _rwb4410

Last edited by WJPalmer on Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:54 pm

I agree, some very nice shots in there. Living just down the road from you I recognize many of the western photos. I hope it all works out.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:55 pm

Nice pic. We do have some lovely old buildings scattered about the place.

Wow, you had beautiful weather on Skye! Very nice.

I've been on Culloden moor when it was overcast and drizzling. Not a soul about and an autumn evening was coming on. I found it a dreadfully sad and gloomy place, and very spooky as well. I left before it got dark, I couldn't bear to stay there, the hairs on my neck were bristling almost the whole time. 'Twas a tragic and unnecessary battle and the clans were destroyed there, never again to have the same power, a black day in British history. No
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:58 am

It's easy to understand how Culloden could inspire such feelings. The weather was crisp, clear, and breezy, during my visit, but still the power of the place was palpable. It's interesting how some battlefields carry so much stronger impressions than others. And it doesn't necessarily depend on the size or historical significance of the conflict. In my experience, Little Bighorn in Montana is one of "those" spots, as is Little Round Top at Gettysburg (more so, for me, than many other areas of that field). And there are others. But Culloden seemed a special place, even though I wasn't particularly well-versed in its story at the time.

Skye was wonderful. Hiked the Old Man of Snorr and had nearly perfect weather during our two days. Many fond memories.
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:09 pm

Marston Moor is another place that I can hardly bear to visit. Whyte Syke Close is still there. Many years ago I was with the Sealed Knot and we did a re-enactment on part of the battlefield and camped nearby. In the evening after the days fighting a group of us took our clay pipes and flagons of ale to Whyte Syke to talk. In the darkness it really was an extraordinary place, timeless and alive with every imaginable trick of the ear and eye you can imagine. A few of us were joking about it but we didn't stay long and it was obvious everyone was glad to be out of there.

The next day during the second day's battle our dragoon company was posted near the close and while there was birdsong all around the fields, within the Close not a single bird was singing. I don't believe in ghosts or life after death or anything of the sort but somehow the Close seems to have 'soaked up' something in 1644 and it feels like its trickling out a little.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down