Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:24 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

» Scourge of war Waterloo remastered on Steam
by Martin Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:41 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30495 messages in 2294 subjects

I forgot my password

Latest Photography Interest: Colorizing Historical Images

+2
Mr. Digby
WJPalmer
6 posters

Go down

Latest Photography Interest: Colorizing Historical Images Empty Latest Photography Interest: Colorizing Historical Images

Post  WJPalmer Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:30 pm

Lately I've been spending some time colorizing old historical photos. My first two projects have been images of homesteading ancestors of mine circa 1919 & 1915. It's an intriguing process given the new software I'm using. The most surprising aspect to me has been the discovery of new detail in each image that had gone unnoticed in B&W:

Colorized B&Ws
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

http://rwberg53.wix.com/adventure-images

Back to top Go down

Latest Photography Interest: Colorizing Historical Images Empty Re: Latest Photography Interest: Colorizing Historical Images

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:09 pm

I've seen a fair bit of this on the internet in the last 18 months and its a really interesting - well, art, in itself I suppose. I always wonder what colours people choose to colour the b/w images, especially things like clothing. I notice that in your first pic there are two young women that both seem to be wearing shirts and skirts of the same pattern, so I'd make the assumption the colours of both were the same.

Is there a technical way to determine what the actual colour may have been from the tonal value of the b/w original? I would imagine there is software now that can scan and make fairly accurate estimates.

I find the colours in your two pictures a little intense - I know its fashionable to wash them out to make them look old though I don't know if this practice has any artistic merit.

But you have done a fantastic job on both images. I presume its the same house in both pics? Do you know its location?
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Latest Photography Interest: Colorizing Historical Images Empty Re: Latest Photography Interest: Colorizing Historical Images

Post  WJPalmer Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:47 pm

As a gift a year or two ago I received an entire book of colorized Civil War photos, so the process does seem to be catching on. Personally, I have mixed feelings about it. B&W carries it's own charm but adding color also has a way of making people seem more real. It can bring them to life in a way the B&W can't. I think there's room for both.

The location of each photo is captured in the Flickr maps below the images. The first image was taken on a farm near a very small central-Nebraska town (even today it has only a few hundred people), so the map location shown is only an estimate: I am in the process of locating it precisely using Nebraska (Buffalo County) land records. My great grandfather Berg was a Swedish immigrant and a tenant farmer. Showing true pioneer spirit, he came to America by himself at the age of 15 in 1880 and arrived, as he was fond of saying, "barefoot & red-headed." I have his "America Chest" in my home complete with lining paper that features a cameo of the Queen of Sweden. As for the picture, this was the family's last home before moving to the eastern Colorado plains in 1920 (mostly for the health of my great-grandmother, on the right). It didn't help, however, and she died within a year or 2 of this image. The two girls have similar, but not identical, fabric patterns. All the dresses were almost certainly homemade.

The second photo was taken about 100 miles east of where I live now and is of my grandmother's family (i.e., her parent's and siblings). She is second from the right and this is where she was born. The Flickr map location of this photo is accurate. I have made several trips to this place and made friends with the current owners. The old house is now gone, but carried its own, quite fascinating, ghost story that relates to a cousin who died suddenly in 1920 there while visiting from Oklahoma. As a matter of fact, I touched base with them just a few days ago and they related that the ghost is still active and they still see her 3-4 times a year -- in the new house constructed on the same site.  affraid

There's no way of knowing precisely what the colors should be, but you can get some clues if you know the film and manner in which the photo was developed. For example, old tintype photos typically were cast with blue filters, which meant that red would show up fairly dark and blues would be lighter. I don't have that info for either of these photos, so my interpretation is mostly guesswork. I did, however, do some research on clothing and fabric styles of the day in deciding what colors to use. If there's software that can precisely determine colors in black & whites, I'm not familiar with it -- but would be greatly pleased if it could be developed!
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:17 pm

Thanks Ron, fascinating stuff.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  midgetmanifesto Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:44 am

I don't think you can get a true colour from a B&W photo, without knowing a true reference colour of something in the film (an object that still exists and is known to have not changed). I remember reading something to that effect when I was trying to find a paint colour that matched dunkelgaub to paint up some german ww2 tank models.

Nice work on the photos. It's so startling to see the greens and reds pop up, you almost don't think they exist in the days of B&W.
midgetmanifesto
midgetmanifesto

Back to top Go down

Post  King_Rufus Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:52 pm

Really interesting stuff - is the software for this commercially available?
King_Rufus
King_Rufus

http://www.kriegsspiel.homestead.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:55 pm

Reddit has a fantastic archive of colourised b/w photos. I have no idea how it's done!

https://www.reddit.com/r/ColorizedHistory

Had a look around and apparently all done by hand in PhotoShop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2Srw245R7U

Last edited by Mr. Digby on Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:15 am

It is possible to do this kind of thing using Photoshop layers and layer masks or the Corel product, but the software I'm using now is called Coloriage by Akvis. It's about $95 and is quite a bit less labor intensive than using PS for the process. Actually, for the photo I'm currently working I'll use both Coloriage and then Photoshop to tone down the opacity to make the colors more subtle.
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:20 pm

Here's the latest colorized photo. This time I used Photoshop layers to tone down the colors, add a hint of sepia to the otherwise B&W, non-colorized areas, and went "artsy" by targeting only portions of the portrait for color. The idea here was to accentuate the subjects' eyes and add a bit of mystery by making the observer look close to see what's color and what's not. The Flickr album also contains the original to compare the "before" and "after."

1917 Nebraska Family Portrait
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:33 am

I think my preference is for the fully coloured pictures. I have an issue with that picture and it took me a while to pin down what it was. I think its because you've only coloured the faces and some items of clothing near the faces. It looks a little... creepy is the best word I can think of. Everybody except the fair-complexioned lady far left has the same skin colour as well which is a rather yellowish tone so that adds to the strange mood of the image too.

Hope you do not mind the honest comments.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:54 am

Hope you do not mind the honest comments.

Not at all. Much appreciated, in fact. And, of course, this being Halloween, creepy is in vogue. What a Face
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

Back to top Go down

Latest Photography Interest: Colorizing Historical Images Empty Civil War in Color

Post  WSH Baylor Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:45 pm

Just this past weekend, the History Channel (Heroes channel?) ran a program called "Civil War in Color" which was exactly what you folks are talking about One of the best "colored" photos was the shot of Grant and his staff sitting on church pews which had been brought outside. They showed one of the three original photos which was really quite good.

Baylor
WSH Baylor
WSH Baylor

Back to top Go down

Post  Volunteer Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:54 am

WJP, always interesting to see your conversions. How about you restore these Grognards to their original glory?

http://mashable.com/2014/10/27/napoleonic-wars-veterans/#9xnDh.FUOkqw
Volunteer
Volunteer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down