Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» SOW Scenario Generator
by glennthom Yesterday at 4:26 am

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

» Scourge of war Waterloo remastered on Steam
by Martin Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:41 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30496 messages in 2294 subjects

I forgot my password

The Lost Division campaign - POLL: WHAT MAPS DO YOU HAVE?

+8
Mr. Digby
Martin
MICHKA
Uncle Billy
kg little mac
MajorByrd
mitra
Father General
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Lost Division campaign - POLL: WHAT MAPS DO YOU HAVE? Empty The Lost Division campaign - POLL: WHAT MAPS DO YOU HAVE?

Post  Father General Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:03 am

Alright, my desire is to keep this campaign open to the broadest possible community, therefore I am willing to discuss the inclusion of GCM maps. Note that other KS features are non-negotiable, such as full HITS and couriers and such. I was informed today that in GCM games there are periods at the start for open discussion. There can be no open discussion at the start of KS games unless players are in talking distance of one another. You gotta handle your briefings beforehand and use those couriers. :-)

Anyway, back on topic...

While I agree very much with Mr. Digby, for all the reasons he stated, I also want to welcome our GCM friends. I need to know about the GCM maps. I understand they are flat tessellations of terrain types and roads. No elevations, no buildings. Is this correct? If true, I gotta say that's gonna be hard to swallow for us KS folks. However, in the name of good sportsmanship I am willing to take one for the team and allow a number of the maps on some squares. I'm also fine with favoring Gettysburg maps.

Please let me know what I need to know about the GCM maps. It has probably been well over a year since I played a GCM game.

However, we also need to stretch a bit and get folks into a few maps with good and varied terrain, such as the Pipe Creek expansions.

In order to make an informed decision as to where we should apply charitable efforts, please fill out the following in the thread below:

-Your name
-What expansions you have

We will assume everyone has equal access to Gettysburg stock maps and GCM map pack.

Once we know what we are working with, I'll announce what expansion will serve us best for facilitating the campaign. For those who need assistance or are willing to chip in to help their neighbor, I'll provide a private email and will match-make accordingly. You may need access to Paypal unless Matrix Games has a gifting function like Steam does, but we're not there yet.

Thanks,

-Neal
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

The Lost Division campaign - POLL: WHAT MAPS DO YOU HAVE? Empty Re: The Lost Division campaign - POLL: WHAT MAPS DO YOU HAVE?

Post  Father General Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:03 am

Neal

Pipe Creek
Antietam
Chancellorsville
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

The Lost Division campaign - POLL: WHAT MAPS DO YOU HAVE? Empty Re: The Lost Division campaign - POLL: WHAT MAPS DO YOU HAVE?

Post  mitra Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:41 am

mitra

Pipe Creek
Antietam
Chancellorsville
Brandy Station

mitra

Back to top Go down

Post  MajorByrd Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:50 pm

Neal wrote: I need to know about the GCM maps. I understand they are flat tessellations of terrain types and roads. No elevations, no buildings. Is this correct?

The GCM random maps basically contain everything but buildings. Every other terrain feature is present in great abundance.

As to the rest of your post, I do welcome the spirit and I don't think that anyone wants to put any KS features up to discussion; on the contrary, that is exactly why most of us want to play in the campaign I think.

Addons:

- Pipe Creek
- Antietam
- Chancellorsville

MajorByrd
MajorByrd

Back to top Go down

Post  kg little mac Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:55 pm

All but Brandy Station.
kg little mac
kg little mac

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:41 pm

I have all the expansion packs. I recommend we use the Pipe Creek and Brandy Station maps. They always result in good fights. The C'ville maps are also quite good, but play on them is very difficult due to the heavy forest cover and short sight-distance. I can mod that out quite easily. That would give us an additional 7 maps.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  MICHKA Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:18 pm

I have

- Pipe Creek
- Antietam
- Brandy Station

MICHKA
MICHKA
MICHKA

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:42 pm

I have:

Pipe Creek
Antietam
Chancellorsville
Brandy Station

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:57 pm

I've got every map and add-on, both NSD, all of Garnier's great maps and other free ones like Big Whiskey, Trevallion, Red River, Seccessionville, Olustee, etc.

I agree with the GCM guys that Garniers maps are pretty good and some of them like Random2 have some good hills and creeks in deep ravines so terrain is key to winning. There's no fences but a lot have walls to a greater or a lesser degree and in fact we use the more open flatter ones like the Random6 series in our Napoleonic fights. Their main drawback is a slightly sterile feel, somewhat characterless in some of them (though not all) and no buildings. These aren't game-breakers though.

I would however put in a strong (but polite) request that people should at least buy Pipe Creek and Brandy Station. These maps are very good. The Fox's Gap and Crampton's Gap maps that come with the Antietam add-on are also good maps.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  MajorByrd Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:03 pm

Most might have Antietam anyways. As far as the other addons go, I don't know how people feel. I'll press those interested to make a statement here so we don't have to converse in hypothecials. There are indeed a lot of free maps on the NSD forums for the campaign to use. Together with the stock and addon maps and the occasional random map, we should be fine.

MajorByrd
MajorByrd

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:12 pm

I think we'll be fine, but I need to decide on the master list soon. I'll give this a couple more days, then on Tuesday I'll rule on what's in and out.

I agree with Byrd. We need to move from the hypothetical to the specific.

-Neal
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:13 pm

No expansion packs  for me.

Would not want to have to purchase any either.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:58 pm

That's the kind of negative stance that isn't helpful.

If we encourage only 1 expansion I'd suggest Pipe Creek. The 3 maps give a lot of interesting terrain possibilities depending where you place the centre of gravity of the fight. At only 10 dollars its hard to argue against that purchase. They're not the best looking maps but then that's reflected in the price.

Of course players who don't have that expansion could sit out those few battles, its not like all of us are going to be available for all games.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:20 pm

Morsey, I am sure we can accommodate you in various fashion including sending you a copy of Pipe Creek. We will almost certainly be using GCM maps too. You won't be made to purchase anything. I want you to enjoy the campaign and we are glad you're here. :-)
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  KCarter1 Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:24 pm

I think Morsey is speaking for himself, as far as us GCM guys go... I have everything except Chancellorsville & Brandy Station myself, and wouldn't mind purchasing them if they would be functional to this campaign. Most are pry in the same boat. I have been trying to do something like this for a long time. I'd drop $10-$20 for maps to get it done for sure.

Kris - Pipe Creek & Antietam

Last edited by KCarter1 on Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
KCarter1
KCarter1

Back to top Go down

Post  mitra Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:51 pm

I think the better choice is to use GCM and Getty stock maps for all the locations but to use Antietam, CV, Pipe Creek & Brandy in their historical map areas of strategic map, so to permit in advance to know that in these zones the maps used for the battles are not common to all. I think is better to do the same with the other mod maps (at least those more Virginia-like)

I suggest also to prepare a mega pack courier&maps which included already inside the random maps and the other mods maps to use: 1 mod activated for all only 1 possible version -> no problem of start for the matches, especially when we are many.

A list of players who can host the matches is important.

The no-campaign matches, when there is not sufficient players or the new campaign battle is work in progress, can be used in the story narrative of campaign: minor actions at little division or only cavalry level as raids to depots, convoys, recons, defense of secondary area played by 3-4 players, could be passed to Neal who could decide to list them in the story and eventually see if it can have impact to the main actions.

mitra

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:06 pm

Appreciate that Father General. I think I just may have to budget them in to purchase in the next few months if you guys like to use them.

Looking forward to this campaign.

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:37 pm

I laid out a spreadsheet and marked what folks seem to have. There's a few replies I'm waiting on, but those are mostly KS fellas and most of them have all the expansions.

It is very safe to say that with only a few exceptions everyone has Pipe.

So the maps required will almost certainly be

Gettysburg
Pipe
GCM

I'll make this official in a couple days. Those who don't have Pipe, I want you to have it, even if I have to buy it for you. There will still be a couple weeks before we really kick off, so if you can, grab it while there's time. If you can't, then send me a PM and I'll figure something out. Also, Matrix allows gift card purchases, so a $10 gift card by email may prove to be the most efficient and secure way to manage it, if needed.

It is important to me that everyone who is dipping a toe into the waters of the KS abyss feels welcome just before they're sucked into the depths of total immersion from which there can be no escape.

-Neal

Last edited by Father General on Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Father General Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:42 pm

My work. Hays hasn't responded, but I know he has pipe because I played a scenario with him on it a year ago. Calpurnius, I believe we spoke directly and you do not have any add ons. Most of the KS guys I kinda assume you have Pipe or better. There's a few of you I have no idea. Please chime in when you can.

I'll post a staus update on the campaign tomorrow night. I'm still looking to see how we will manage OOB creation and maintenance as well as scenario creation. I CAN do all these things, even if just by hand, but I'd like to delegate some of the work and minimize busywork if I can. HOWEVER, I will do everything myself if it comes to it, such is my typical determination. Thankfully, I believe those of you in the KS community are coming to help. Leffe7, if we cannot connect on TS or Skype, we may need to just email. Let me know.

The Lost Division campaign - POLL: WHAT MAPS DO YOU HAVE? Spread11

-Neal
Father General
Father General

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:01 pm

Stefan and Hays have them all.  Grog has Pipe at least, as I can recall playing a Nappy game with him on one of them.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  MajorByrd Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:18 pm

I know Weathers has Antietam.
MajorByrd
MajorByrd

Back to top Go down

Post  kg_sspoom Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:24 am

Pretty sure I have everything but brandy station.
I can have it in hours if need be.
kg_sspoom
kg_sspoom

Back to top Go down

Post  KCarter1 Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:41 am

I have Antietam & Pipe Creek... NO CV or Brandy... Willing to purchase though.
KCarter1
KCarter1

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:34 am

Pipe Creek
Antietam
Chancellorsville
Brandy Station

Mike
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Leffe7 Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:31 am

as Martin already said, I have all maps.
When talking about GCM maps, which are meant: Random Maps 2/4/6 or some other pack?

Personally I don't like battles on the Antietam maps if you need to manouver because there are way too many fences, and performance is worse than other maps.
Leffe7
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next