Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1561 registered users
The newest registered user is Captsmoak

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

02. Action on the Adajo - After Action Reports

5 posters

Go down

02. Action on the Adajo - After Action Reports Empty 02. Action on the Adajo - After Action Reports

Post  Mr. Digby Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:42 pm

02. Action on the Adajo - After Action Reports Adajo-Action

Replay File Here

Unfortunately my internet connection glitched about 30 minutes into the game and I dropped. I had a very minor command on the French side so it didn't matter but from what I had seen already and from what I heard later this was a very bloody little fight. It was a limited action with the French trying to wrest control of an important ridge from the Spanish defenders of Valladolid, a location that would enable them to place their artillery on top and dominate the low ground south of the city and around the river crossing that they must next assault. I used only partial OOBs from both sides forces.

The French took quite a lot of casualties from Spanish musketry, the Spanish being placed on high ground behind fences and walls and the French infantry seemed to lack a certain elan, preferring to enter unfavourable firefights in lines rather than go in with the bayonet. The Spanish did benefit from having quite a good brigade involved in this battle, one that enjoyed a higher level of competence, on average, than those at Atalayuclas. Though the French infantry here was better as well.

The Spanish cavalry seemed to have an excellent day from what I saw from my distant position by the French guns down in the valley, with several squadrons charging into French lines and riding them down, causing a lot of casualties. The 2nd Sqn Dragons de la Reina captured the colour of the 4th Btn, 8th Ligne and about 5 other French battalions were routed.

Eventually numbers told however and the two big French brigades pushed the single smaller Spanish brigade off the ridge. The French cavalry assisted but didn't appear to shine as much as the (desperate?) Spanish horsemen.

The Spanish got all their guns away again. Two in a row on that statistic.

Casualty returns have still to be reworked by the return of wounded and stragglers but the raw figures are 1,900 French killed, wounded and missing and 1,000 Spanish. A 2 to 1 loss ratio attacking uphill against defenders in cover is not that bad a showing at all, looking at it in that light.

A minor French victory is awarded and they importantly hold the ground fought over so should recover more wounded and stragglers.

Last edited by Mr. Digby on Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

02. Action on the Adajo - After Action Reports Empty Re: 02. Action on the Adajo - After Action Reports

Post  Grog Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:18 am

Thanks again Martin for an excellent game and for all your hard work running this Campaign.

I will submit my AAR later in the week.

Its a shame I forgot to run FRAPS for this one. It was a very interesting battle and could have gone either way.

Cheers to all

Mike
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

02. Action on the Adajo - After Action Reports Empty Re: 02. Action on the Adajo - After Action Reports

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:41 pm

The Replay is very interesting. Towards the end the French were pushing forwards on their right and the Spanish on that side (the cavalry and guns) had completely retreated, leaving the infantry on the other end of the hill. Had the French been able to push for the bridge at that point I think I could have ruled that the entire Spanish infantry brigade would be captured. As it was the retreating Spanish infantry ran down to the impassable river, hit it and went along to the bridge, which they escaped over. A couple of fresh French cavalry squadrons at that point could have spelled disaster for the defenders.

I frapsed my game but I crashed out at about 20 minutes and all of that was viewed from the valley so it doesn't show much except quite a lot of Spanish cavalry running amok and several French battalions running away!
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:53 pm

Digby wrote:I frapsed my game but I crashed out at about 20 minutes and all of that was viewed from the valley so it doesn't show much except quite a lot of Spanish cavalry running amok and several French battalions running away!
Now that's my kind of movie. Wink 
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:26 pm

Mr. Digby wrote:The Replay is very interesting. Towards the end the French were pushing forwards on their right and the Spanish on that side (the cavalry and guns) had completely retreated, leaving the infantry on the other end of the hill. Had the French been able to push for the bridge at that point I think I could have ruled that the entire Spanish infantry brigade would be captured. As it was the retreating Spanish infantry ran down to the impassable river, hit it and went along to the bridge, which they escaped over. A couple of fresh French cavalry squadrons at that point could have spelled disaster for the defenders.
Excellent game Diggers.  I think the scenario was well crafted.  And congrats to the Spanish who punched above their weight.  Especially Justin, whose cavalry came within an inch of causing the French to call off the whole attack.

As French cavalry commander I played a more cautious game.  Probably too cautious.  But there were reasons for this, which I’ll cover over in the French section, as they bear on the campaign.  Apologies to our Spanish chums for this unusual reticence on my part Very Happy .

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:49 pm

Martin wrote:Apologies to our Spanish chums for this unusual reticence on my part
Very unsporting of you. We Spanish keep nothing from you. Nothing at all. Very Happy 
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:13 pm

Uncle Billy wrote:Very unsporting of you.  We Spanish keep nothing from you.  Nothing at all. Very Happy 
Let's see..........your loyalty, your money, your supplies, your wine, your women.  Need I go on?

Your most humble & obedient servant

Murat pirat

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:19 pm

Martin wrote:I think the scenario was well crafted.
I don't know about that, I was assuming an easy French walk-over and a glorious but futile Spanish defence. I think it just shows how a crazed cavalry commander can dominate a battle if he really puts whats left of his mind to it.

A full-blown retreat back almost to their start line half way through, by half the French infantry was also a probable contribution to the outcome. I love how HITS games makes these funky unpredictable things happen.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:44 pm

Murat wrote:
your loyalty, your money, your supplies, your wine, your women. Need I go on?
A vile slur, sir. I'll have those ostrich feathers next time we meet.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Uncle Billy wrote:Murat wrote:
your loyalty, your money, your supplies, your wine, your women.  Need I go on?
A vile slur, sir.  I'll have those ostrich feathers next time we meet.
I will not take that from a man who secretes seafood paella in his breeches!

Name your second, sir!

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:46 am

What I saw of the action which wasn't much except lots of distant views of Spanish cavalry routing French battalions everywhere!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrLLWVam7Xk&
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Leffe7 Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:59 am

Thanks for sharing Martin. It gives a nice impression of the French assault uphill.
In the replay it didn't even look THAT embarrassing when my French regiments were overrun by Spanish cavalry Cool 
Leffe7
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:49 pm

It was lucky that my connection dropped before the embarassing miscommunication by the French command and the withdrawal of half their infantry, so I won't mention that. Oops.

It was amazing that the French pulled a fairly convincing win out of that given the mess they got into by the half time whistle. A little more aggression on the right at the end and they'd have bagged the whole Spanish infantry brigade as prisoners.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:13 pm

Digby wrote:A little more aggression on the right at the end and they'd have bagged the whole Spanish infantry brigade as prisoners.
Hallucinations of a garlic soaked brain. Our rope-a-dope strategy was working beautifully. We had nearly lured the snail eaters onto the ground selected for our counterattack. But they lost their nerve and refused to hike their skirts and proceed any farther.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down