Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Nap Game Sunday Apr 7th 19:00 British Time

+4
mitra
Grog
FlashmanKBE
Uncle Billy
8 posters

Go down

Nap Game Sunday Apr 7th 19:00 British Time Empty Nap Game Sunday Apr 7th 19:00 British Time

Post  Uncle Billy Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:49 pm

I am available for a nappy game Sunday. Time can vary if need be.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Nap Game Sunday Apr 7th 19:00 British Time Empty Re: Nap Game Sunday Apr 7th 19:00 British Time

Post  FlashmanKBE Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:44 pm

Uncle Billy wrote:I am available for a nappy game Sunday. Time can vary if need be.

I may be able to make it if it's a bit later, and if I can, I'll probably be bringing a friend who is going to become as addicted as us i reckon Smile

But I can't be sure I can make it.
FlashmanKBE
FlashmanKBE

Back to top Go down

Nap Game Sunday Apr 7th 19:00 British Time Empty Re: Nap Game Sunday Apr 7th 19:00 British Time

Post  Grog Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:38 am

I will try. Prob the later times best for me, 8 pm +
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  mitra Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:17 am

Yes me too, 8-8:30 London time; perhaps other guys will join with Suchet.

mitra

Back to top Go down

Post  Hays Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:19 pm

8.00 pm, My feather bonnet won't be back from the cleaner until then. afro
Hays
Hays

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:13 pm

2000-2030 it is. We wouldn't want any feathers out of place. Very Happy
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  kg little mac Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:52 pm

Of course.
kg little mac
kg little mac

Back to top Go down

Post  WJPalmer Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:45 am

A panorama of the early moments of Hays' bloody charge up the hill on the British right...

Nap Game Sunday Apr 7th 19:00 British Time Charge12

Here's a link to the full-res image download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c8j0ub4o06veib8/Charge%20of%20Hays%27%20Greys.jpg
WJPalmer
WJPalmer

http://rwberg53.wix.com/adventure-images

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:32 am

That's a very good picture. Hay's will want a copy of it.

The battle was very tense and very Napoleonic. The French, (the Legio contingent from Italy), made a very hard fight of it.

As the column neared the objective, we found the high ground already occupied by a strong, french force. On our right, a brigade of enemy lancers suddenly came into view menacing our column. As the divisions of Palmer and William positioned themselves on a low ridge facing the enemy infantry, a brigade of enemy cuirassiers also appeared on our right. To make matters worse, they began to move towards an attacking position opposite our infantry. I had visions of the enemy cavalry riding across the valley forcing our battalions into squares while their infantry advanced on us and fired into them. I sent off a flurry of messages to Hays, our cavalry commander to do something about this threat. He sent a reply about another french infantry column approaching our right flank. Wonderful newsman is Hays.

When I observed the initial french deployment, Soldier's division was tasked with making a deep flanking movement, behind our lines with the intent of striking the enemy's right and rear. As he was told to stay out of view of the enemy as long as possible, our main force would be forced to defend as best it could for quite some time. On our right, Hay's hussars went into action and quickly subdued two lancer squadrons and drove off a third. The cuirassiers seeing this, wisely withdrew and reformed behind their battery.

Both sides brought their guns forward, and for 30 minutes, a perfect Napoleonic bombardment ensued. The third french division had halted on a hill a fair distance from the french main line, perhaps thinking it best to give the hussars a wide berth. So the immediate danger to the British troops had dissipated. As the french seemed content to occupy their hills, it became a question of how to force them off. They had formed a very solid defense, except for the gap on their left between their main line and that third division. All that was covering it was the cuirassiers and their battery. Soldier's division was nearing his jumping off position and I did not see any good spot to force a lodgement in the enemy lines.

Just when I had reconciled myself to advancing Palmer's division towards the cuirassiers, which would have to be done in squares, while the hussars would have to attack not only the heavy cavalry but also that battery. The cuirassiers moved out! Palmer and Hays immediately moved forward to exploit the gap. I was hoping that the french would extend their line to fill it, but instead they moved a large part of their force to their right. Apparently, they had seen Soldier approaching and were preparing to meet him. Therefore, Palmer and Hays would become our main thrust and I would send William's division over to add it's weight to the attack. Soldier would again do the dirty work of occupying the attention of most of the enemy force.

Palmer and Hays reached the gap at about the same time I saw Soldier's division engage. I fully expected the french to throw their forces at Soldier. Instead that third division moved quickly to stop Palmer and the french commander counter-marched his men back to the opposite flank. Apparently he had decided he could hold his right long enough to destroy the lone division attacking his left. Then he would be free to turn on Soldier's men.

William's division had not yet begun his advance to support Palmer. Now that the French right was again weak, I quickly changed William's target from advancing towards our right to breaking the thin line to his front. It would be Palmer and his Brunswickers who would have to make the ultimate sacrifice. William's division broke the enemy line at first contact. Now a french division was sandwiched between his and Soldier's men. In that mix were the cuirassiers who valiantly charged and charged again, but the British squares could not be broken.

On our right, Palmer's division was being forced to give ground. There were just too many french troops there. The hussars were seen darting into the enemy lines trying to disrupt the french advance as best as could be hoped for. As Palmer's men were falling back and trying to regroup, the french commander again ordered a portion of his forces on his left back over to his right to try and block William's division from rolling up the enemy gun line. As Palmer regained control of his men and was preparing to assault be french left again and Hays cavalry hovered near their flank like vultures, resistance on the french right collapsed. With that the enemy was forced to yield the field.

Hats off to Mitra and the Legios. They put up a very solid defense. It was an impressive display of french maneuvering back and forth, defending one flank and then another. It nearly worked.

The battle was very much in the Napoleonic style, long bombardments, deep flanking maneuvers, cavalry charging in concert with infantry support. It was a memorable battle. And Hays likes the cavalry again. Very Happy

Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  kg little mac Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:09 am

I did a whole lot of marching and not a lot of fighting. Still, I really enjoy these games and hope for more and more players to join.

Thanks for the game.
kg little mac
kg little mac

Back to top Go down

Post  FlashmanKBE Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:29 am

I'm really sorry I missed out on this one. Hope to make the next one!
FlashmanKBE
FlashmanKBE

Back to top Go down

Post  Hays Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:28 am

The conversation I imagine Mitra was having during the game.

Napoleon: Those men on grey horses are terrifying.
Marshal Soult: They are the noblest cavalry in Europe; and the worst led.
Napoleon: That may be; that may be, but we will match them with our lancers.

There’s nothing better than a well-timed Cavalry Charge: Tally-ho
Hays
Hays

Back to top Go down

Post  Leffe7 Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:01 pm

Brilliant. Sounds like an excellent game. How many were you, 3vs3?
Leffe7
Leffe7

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:12 pm

Hays wrote:The conversation I imagine Mitra was having during the game.

Ha! but you missed out the deh-de-dehhhh ! at the end.

Sorry I couldnt make this one either.

Mitra, please tell me you recorded a movie?? (also, I really liked the one you posted on the NBC forum. Dont forget to post them here and on the NSD forum Smile )

Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:42 pm

Leffe7 wrote:Brilliant. Sounds like an excellent game. How many were you, 3vs3?
No, it was 5 vs 5, our largest nappy battle yet. By the way, your scenario generator worked well.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  mitra Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:23 pm

Grog wrote:
Hays wrote:The conversation I imagine Mitra was having during the game.

Ha! but you missed out the deh-de-dehhhh ! at the end.

Sorry I couldnt make this one either.

Mitra, please tell me you recorded a movie?? (also, I really liked the one you posted on the NBC forum. Dont forget to post them here and on the NSD forum Smile )

No sorry Grog, I was afraid the game could crash during the recording; I use zd soft screen and it compress during the recording so it can slow the CPU.

>Those men on grey horses are terrifying.

Were they grey? I thought they were color cappuccino Smile

mitra

Back to top Go down

Post  mitra Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:40 pm

"Hays' Cappuccini" sounds good Smile

mitra

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down