Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

Statistics
We have 1561 registered users
The newest registered user is Captsmoak

Our users have posted a total of 30498 messages in 2295 subjects

I forgot my password

Scheduling Dates where people can meet

+3
Martin
gunboat diplomat
MJ1
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Scheduling Dates where people can meet Empty Scheduling Dates where people can meet

Post  MJ1 Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:23 pm

http://www.doodle.com/

If people would use this we could then try and find best date for the summer game?

I can only do last weekend in July and June 10th / 17th / 24th are free at the moment.

For the club Doodle might be way to go if people would use it?

http://vimeo.com/30076162

MJ1

Back to top Go down

Scheduling Dates where people can meet Empty Re: Scheduling Dates where people can meet

Post  gunboat diplomat Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:17 pm

MJ

Happy to use doodle in future, will need to learn how to but looks simple at first glance.

Dates

last weekend in July 28th No. 29th Yes (subject to Olympics)

June 10th No

17th looks OK

24th Difficult (wedding aniv!)

All the best

Steve

gunboat diplomat

Back to top Go down

Scheduling Dates where people can meet Empty Re: Scheduling Dates where people can meet

Post  Martin Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:41 pm

The main demand for a summer game comes from our younger university cohort. Understandably, as they currently miss most of our games. But most of them don't break for summer until the very end of June.

OTOH July appears to be a problem for some of the oldies, so maybe we need to look at dates in August as well.

I'll see if I can get the youngsters to use doodle, and we can then get a better idea.

Whatever happens, we should schedule a game in September as per usual, as they can all make that.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:47 pm

So far June 17th is looking good. Can at least some of the 'university cohort' make that date?
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  MJ1 Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:05 pm

OK so I have set up a doodle poll

http://www.doodle.com/phddrha8ycixudct

Please use link above and enter your preference.

Simples....

And I have put poll on the Web Site so we could do same for the Autumn Schedule?

http://kriegsspiel.org.uk/

MJ1

Back to top Go down

Post  MJ1 Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:12 pm

Can you three please just follow the link and enter your choices and encourage all others to do same? No membership, no signing up to site. Just follow link dead simple!!!

MJ1

Back to top Go down

Post  Wittmann Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:07 am

Check on the web access there! Very Happy

I can Skype on in, I don't believe in sleep anyway, so I don't mind being up at 3:00am.
Wittmann
Wittmann

Back to top Go down

Post  gunboat diplomat Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:59 am

This looks like a practical way forward for scheduling games in a streamlined way.

I add my (light)weight to mjs request for all to use this facility as a good way of reducing the admin burden of game and meeting organisation.

Steve

gunboat diplomat

Back to top Go down

Post  MJ1 Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:36 am

Wittmann wrote:Check on the web access there! Very Happy

I can Skype on in, I don't believe in sleep anyway, so I don't mind being up at 3:00am.

Hi, there is a secured wireless site next to us but it belongs to the school and hence we will not be able to get access to it.

Not sure what the possibilities will be for someone with a phone card in the Laptop as getting mobile signal is pretty difficult.

MJ1

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:21 pm

Mr. Digby wrote:So far June 17th is looking good. Can at least some of the 'university cohort' make that date?
Only one, I think. He's at a Scottish university. The initial indication last Sunday from those at English universities was that they couldn't do anything before July. Could we try extending Doodle into August please, Mark.......or is that month out for you?

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:23 pm

MJ1 wrote:
Wittmann wrote:Check on the web access there! Very Happy

Hi, there is a secured wireless site next to us but it belongs to the school and hence we will not be able to get access to it.

Not sure what the possibilities will be for someone with a phone card in the Laptop as getting mobile signal is pretty difficult.
Have asked Paulette whether we could get access to a local wireless network, eg from the nearby church. Maybe clutching at straws, but thought it was worth a try.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:00 pm

Good idea Martin. I am sure the CofE would be okay with that if we were to offer a small donation each time we used it.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  MJ1 Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:39 am

Martin wrote:
Mr. Digby wrote:So far June 17th is looking good. Can at least some of the 'university cohort' make that date?
Could we try extending Doodle into August please, Mark.......or is that month out for you?

Martin

I have need to get some time today to check with master diary. I am sure there can be some dates added in August, just not certain which ones at the moment.

MJ1

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:04 am

Thanks. Have told the youngsters about doodle and suggested they use it.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Wittmann Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:31 am

If they wanted a donation I wouldn't mind chipping in my $5 to be able to play!

It's so funny to see the differences in the culture, you'd have trouble not finding accessible wi-fi and cell service in the United States, every business has it. Although that explains why we're glued to our screens...
Wittmann
Wittmann

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:33 pm

Well we have it here too, Wittmann, almost everywhere, but all the networks are secured, which is the case of the next-door Church network my laptop detected last weekend.

The place we meet for the face-to-face games is a small village hall used by local drama groups, and for bring-and-buy type events, social community meals, that sort of thing. Events where there is no need at all for internet access. No-one in such communities has a use for internet access so the local village/parish council see no ned to put in Wi-Fi.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:46 pm

Have now heard back from Paulette re internet in Little Gaddesden.

Apparently the internet is good there, as BT have recently upgraded the infrastructure. Drawn a blank re any existing networks we can use though.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:17 pm

What about the "CE" one we detected? Our guess was it was the church. Worth an enquiry?
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  King_Rufus Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:48 am

Mr. Digby wrote:What about the "CE" one we detected? Our guess was it was the church. Worth an enquiry?

Best tread carefully there; we might find ourselves Kriegsspieling with angels on a hotline to heaven geek
King_Rufus
King_Rufus

http://www.kriegsspiel.homestead.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MJ1 Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:12 pm

Could it be the Church of England School next door to hall?

MJ1

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:29 pm

MJ1 wrote:Could it be the Church of England School next door to hall?
That would be my guess. Discussed this with Paulette, who felt there would probably be data protection issues there. Which does sound likely. She did suggest we could try leafletting other nearby properties when we are next there.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:50 pm

Paulette is mistaken. There are no data protection issues - we are not looking at their computers or servers, or any part of their network (which would most likely be switched off anyway on a weekend) we are just using their bandwith, just like you do when you borrow anyone else's wireless access.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  King_Rufus Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:55 am

I have some experience with the Data Protection Act, and do not see how it would be contravened at all; nor can I envisage any other likely offence, since there is no intention to hack into their system or broadcast onto it, and their bandwidth is not being used for malign purposes.

The only possible issue I think would be if we exceeded their usage limits and they had to pay more as a consequence – which is very unlikely to occur.

Of course this makes the big assumption that there is no security on their bandwidth which would preclude us from using it.
King_Rufus
King_Rufus

http://www.kriegsspiel.homestead.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:55 pm

Paul, there is security, I have already encountered it. We would need to approach the wireless network's owners and ask for the passkey and we should I think offer some small but reasonable compensation in return - perhaps £5 per Saturday's use.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:01 pm

It's worth a try. We could perhaps try and get some sort of testimonial from Paulette to give them comfort that we are fit & proper. I can imagine that anyone running a school would feel the need for something like that.

Martin

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next