Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:24 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

» Scourge of war Waterloo remastered on Steam
by Martin Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:41 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30495 messages in 2294 subjects

I forgot my password

Pat&Kevin French-Russian Campaign Update

+6
Miko77
Grog
Smoke Grenadiers
Khryses
Uncle Billy
Charmead
10 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Pat&Kevin French-Russian Campaign Update - Page 3 Empty Re: Pat&Kevin French-Russian Campaign Update

Post  Charmead Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:29 am

Its back to the operational phase we go. The Russians withdrew.

Some notes for the next time we go back to the battlefield

After playing several rounds in this campaign we learned some things. So we will reiterate some of the original rules with slight mods in view of play balance and maintaining some semblance of historical casualty levels

We will revert back to 2 division commanders per side with additional players taking on brigades

That means one of the 2 division commanders will be handling 2 divisions. This will tend to keep one division into a reserve role.

Minimum players required are Pat (Charmead), Kevin (MTG), Grog, Ehey and Phil.

This means it is important for each Army commander (Miko/Justin) to provide written commander’s intent for the upcoming fight in case either/both are not physically present.

Grog is always Russian and assumes tactical command of that side in absence of the army commander(Justin). Ehey/Phil always French with Ehey assuming tactical command of french side in absence of the army commander (Miko). Pat/Kevin continually switch between Russian division and French brigade and need to be provided specific orders (since we have full knowledge of the troop disposition of both sides)

Should Miko or Justin be available then they will take role of army command only unless there is a play balance issue (defined below)

Additional players are assigned brigades. 1st additional to Russian. 2nd to French. 3rd additional to Russian. If at that point there is no 4th additional player, the French army commander (Miko) - if present - may opt to take a brigade at his discretion

No player in command of a brigade may command cavalry. Only Infantry brigade command is allowed.

So overall not a major revision. Just a reminder of what the original intent was with some minor mods based on play to date

We now return you to our original show, where south of Borodino brought mayhem and west of it lay uncertainty.

Commanders will be soon getting the latest operational status
Charmead
Charmead

risorgimento59 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Pat&Kevin French-Russian Campaign Update - Page 3 Empty Re: Pat&Kevin French-Russian Campaign Update

Post  Charmead Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:38 pm

A pictorial summary of the campaign to date. The link is at the bottom  

It would appear the Russians are reeling, at least in the South.  Then again, one should never underestimate the Russian ability to withstand punishment.

Still a toss-up as to whether the tiny Corsican or eager Tsar will be breakfasting in Kelheim for Christmas

Updated campaign map

Last edited by Charmead on Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : link)
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:08 pm

The fall rains left the main river (see picture in recent post) on the Borodino map swollen, effectively splitting the Russian and French armies in two

South of the river, shattered Russian formations are reported to have retreated and reformed west of Kelheim

North of the river, a 3-pronged Russian thrust NW of Borodino caused the French to do an about face, leaving a rear guard as the French corps reformed along the western border of the Borodino map, a few miles east of Fichetnstein (10 mile map)

The battle was sharp and relatively inconclusive save for the fact that the French lost ground and the overall strategic initiative. A new day arises and both opponents remain squared off facing each other.

Chances are good the next installment of this battle will be Tuesday
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:25 pm

Thanks Pat.
Unfortunately, I will not be able to play on Tuesday. It's MY other half's turn, this time, to stop play for birthday celebrations😊
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:03 pm

Then we delay to following week. Not a problem
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:35 pm

There is a possibility of continuing the campaign game tomorrow, but I am curious as to who anticipates being available. Division commanders. Brigade commanders. Even new ones. When we last left our warring sides, they were squared off facing each other on the western edge of the Borodino map.

Might this be the last gasp of the French offensive?
Might it be the battle that causes Russian army collapse?
And what of Phil? Will he finally come down from his tree house?
And what of Grog? Will he say "Commanding 2 divisions is simply not enough; let me command 3 or 4 and let each be separated by at least 2 miles facing in different directions"?

Stay tuned
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:18 pm

I can't speak for Phil but I should be able to play tomorrow😊
I know that I said that I am not happy commanding 2 divisions again but I will if necessary to ensure that the game is played.
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:45 pm

Oh, Pat.. I thought you were gone (somewhere under the heel)...
Do you guys swap or I can keep Kevin for this continuation battle?
I'll be there...
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:04 pm

We swap. I am French brigade commander. Kevin takes Russian division.
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  DumpTruck Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:26 pm

I have been unfortunately busy with work recently. I will definitely be there on Friday.

My only tips to Grog for commanding two divisions is just to treat one as a deep, deep reserve. Just command the one normally and have the other stay nearby, but behind. It's still difficult, but at least this way you don't have to worry as much about both divisions and can focus on one. If you can have a player control a brigade under you this makes for a little bit of an easier time as well. If you just focus on one, maybe slightly larger frontage with a deep reserve, rather than two spread out frontages, it becomes a lot easier to baby sit the AI and make sure things go to plan. And since that's largely what I'm doing we'll effectively be on the level.

That's what works for me anyway. It's a bit easier to keep track of both divisions like this since I don't have to worry about one of them being in combat outside of my view.

DumpTruck

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:01 am

I won't be available on Friday - I thought the campaign would be on Tuesday so arranged something else...
So it would be pushed another week I'm afraid...
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:06 am

Lets aim for Tuesday 9th for next campaign….how does that sound?
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:11 pm

Turns out I gotta work Tuesday. Would be good to know what Friday or Sunday will look like for the key division commanders.
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:49 pm

Friday looks good for me
Grog
Grog

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:09 pm

I can do Friday...
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:29 pm

Turns out I gotta work Tuesday.
And play Civ on the side. Rolling Eyes
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  DumpTruck Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:29 pm

A late response is better than no response. I will be there Friday.

DumpTruck

Back to top Go down

Post  Charmead Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:59 pm

Looks like today will be a campaign scenario. I have already informed my fiancé that I am gaming at 2pm. Needless to say I am quite busy cleaning the house until then lol
Charmead
Charmead

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:07 pm

This reminds me on the joke... guys talking about how they do in their relationships and one is boasting:
I have the last word on anything in my relationship... and it's "Yes, my Love" Very Happy
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Grog Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:25 pm

Really sorry but I can't play tonight. Although I am the keeper of the remote control in our house, my wife tells me what buttons to press😶
Grog
Grog

Miko77 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Miko77 Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:00 pm

Well, I guess Pat, you can clean the house for the rest of the day Very Happy
Miko77
Miko77

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:17 pm

Only once word can describe this latest conversation. Pitiful. Embarassed Where are all the real men nowadays? Single and living in squalor, I guess. Very Happy
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3