Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

» Beginner doubts
by Martin Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:07 pm

» New player advice on maneovring to attack
by Uncle Billy Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:52 pm

» Our KS Group and 2024
by Martin Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 pm

» SoW OOB Editor
by RickMandar Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:23 pm

» Scenario Generator/ Artillery Question
by ARCH93 Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:08 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by Uncle Billy Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:24 pm

» KS mod ARMY command
by Uncle Billy Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

» Europe in the XIX. century - ARCANUM Maps
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 pm

» Mapping software?
by Martin Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm

» Cigar box pocket kriegspiel
by Martin Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:00 pm

» Scourge of war Waterloo remastered on Steam
by Martin Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:41 pm

Statistics
We have 1560 registered users
The newest registered user is chanceyseth

Our users have posted a total of 30495 messages in 2294 subjects

I forgot my password

Fantastic Mod!

3 posters

Go down

Fantastic Mod! Empty Fantastic Mod!

Post  parmenio Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:01 pm

A bit of background....

I bought Scourge of War Waterloo on 22nd Dec 2015, played it for a grand total of 10 hours over three days and discarded it. I felt the manual was opaque and the tutorial wasn't much of a tutor.

So, fast forward 3+ years and I got an newsletter email from this forum (on a side note I started getting these intermittently a while back) regarding Waterloo 3D the demo of which I downloaded and which unsurprisingly failed to run - my laptop is ancient and no way was it going to cope with the Unreal engine.

Anyways, that sparked a "why don't I" moment and I fired SOWWL back up - it was still present in my Steam folder along with a very old KS Mod BTW, although I suspect I never got around to playing with the latter. This time I did a bit of Youtube searching and came across Darkrob's playlists which I have spent a couple of weeks or so working my way through from the bottom up.

In no way have I finished them but flush with the enthusiasm of a few wins at the Div level and on the back of watching some of Darkrob's video on Richerol, I decided to venture into my first Corps-level combat with the KS Mod. I had originally planned to go for the Attack on Richwol which I why I had only watched some of Darkrob's video in case of spoilers). However, faced with the statement "This is a difficult scenario" :-) I decided that was probably a bit adventurous and I should pick something a bit less challenging.

I picked KSFrenchScenario13 and went with that. The thing that I like most abpit the mod is the ability to provide a division with orders and let them get on with it while I move onto the next task. I loved the fact that I didn't have to TC everything and everyone to achieve anything.

Scouting worked great but screening was a bit hit and miss. It seemed to be fine with the Light Cavalry in Gudin's and Boudet's divisions but von Deroy's Heavy Cavalry seemed to believe screening happened from the rear. Général de brig. François Marie Clément also seemed to spend the entire time "rallying". Should I have moved his brigade forward before selecting the Screen button? Note - I understand that was unlikely to be the best use of von Deroy's Cuirassiers but I'm trying to get a handle on what works and what doesn't.

I've cleared the Austrians from the high ground around Villarrobledo and that leaves the forces further South facing Boudet. When he ran into them, I put his division on Hold which semed to be a mistake because those sub-units that were already engaged continued to be so on their own and they suffered some losses.

I then attempted to alter the stance and deployment in the following order:

1. Right-click on a place/facing for Boudet
2. Picked a formation
3. Changed the stance to Defend (IIRC).

This resulted in an attempt to defend facing due West which was not "a good thing". I then did the same thing but in a different order:

1. Changed the stance to Defend (IIRC).
2. Right-click on a place/facing for Boudet
3. Picked a formation

Which worked.. Probably need some guidance on what is expected because the KS Script Guide implies what I did first of all is the way to go:

1. Specify a location.
2. Give a direction to face once there.
3. Deploy in a certain formation.
4. Use the road network, (can be deleted of you want the unit to march cross country).
5. The stance to take while on the march and at the destination.

I shall post any further queries I have on how to use the mod in this thread. In the meantime, I shall be starting another one relating to uplifting the stock scenarios to work with the KS mod.

Edit: I've just noticed I joined this forum on the day I bought the game...

parmenio

Back to top Go down

Fantastic Mod! Empty Re: Fantastic Mod!

Post  Uncle Billy Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:17 pm

Welcome to the forum. It's good to hear you are enjoying the mod.

The cavalry screening function isn't really finished yet so I wouldn't be surprised if you find some odd behavior. Please list those here when you find them. It will make improving the behavior easier. But really, ordering the heavies to do light cavalry work? Shocked I'm surprised they didn't walk over to your location and remove your head. After all, they do have a rather high opinion of themselves.

The sequence of orders to give a unit when trying to move it really depends on the situation. The one that is suggested in the KS manual is for situations when the brigade/division is not engaged. If a brigade is already engaged, even if it's only one battalion, then it is unlikely you can get the brigade to disengage and move somewhere else. Disengagement is one of the more difficult processes to do on a battlefield. You'll have to order the individual battalions to disengage yourself to accomplish it. Even then it's a bit tricky. The fact that you got the desired results the second time you attempted to move the division was likely the result of luck rather than a certain order sequence. It also could be a case that the courier with the formation order arrived and delivered his message before the courier with the new location/facing got there. This can happen if there is very little distance between couriers as they ride off to the commander and he is in motion himself.

Keep plugging away and pointing out behavior you find puzzling.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  parmenio Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:26 pm

But really, ordering the heavies to do light cavalry work? Shocked I'm surprised they didn't walk over to your location and remove your head. After all, they do have a rather high opinion of themselves

Yes - I could virtually sense the disdain leaking out of the screen....

parmenio

Back to top Go down

Post  ushiri Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:00 pm

I´m happy you enjoy it and that your second opinion is such a positive one. KS mod is the reason I stayed with this game aswell even if I seldom play it online anymore because of stress in IRL.

But do add me on steam if you have questions that you want to ask directly when your in the game, but I truly recommend you to join the battles the KS group, just ask digby for the scheduled battles, neat relaxed and overall friendly and humble players that coop together Smile
ushiri
ushiri

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down