Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Toggle vegetation = true not working
by popeadrian Fri Aug 30, 2024 11:43 pm

» 1862 Kriegsspiel manual by Von Tschiscwitz
by modron Thu Aug 29, 2024 8:23 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by popeadrian Sun Aug 25, 2024 5:39 pm

» Guide to map making?
by popeadrian Wed Aug 14, 2024 1:44 am

» SOWWL Artillery batteries
by Uncle Billy Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:15 pm

» Set Up for SOWWL NAPOLEON GAMES For Kriegspiel style
by Uncle Billy Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:35 pm

» The New SOWWL Is Now Available On Steam
by Grog Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:14 pm

» Grog can't make it
by Grog Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:39 pm

» Boxed KS set Wallington NT near Morpeth
by Martin Sat Jun 08, 2024 3:50 pm

» Help Request-Artillery Behavior
by Dutch101 Mon May 27, 2024 4:08 pm

» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

Statistics
We have 1589 registered users
The newest registered user is PI

Our users have posted a total of 30532 messages in 2303 subjects

I forgot my password

Survey on splash contours vs. elevation contours

3 posters

Go down

Survey on splash contours vs. elevation contours Empty Survey on splash contours vs. elevation contours

Post  Dr Ezra Sidran Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:29 pm

Please help us out by taking this quick survey on your preferences for 'splash' contours versus concentric elevation contours for the representation of hills and ridges on a map.
Quick Survey

Dr Ezra Sidran

http://general-staff.com/

Back to top Go down

Survey on splash contours vs. elevation contours Empty Re: Survey on splash contours vs. elevation contours

Post  Uncle Billy Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:17 am

The contours give the most information, and although they existed, I don't think such maps were in common use on the battlefield during the first half of the century. The style of maps the KS SOW mod uses for napoleonic games is shading via different colors to indicate higher and lower elevations. To see examples, look at the various posts in the AAR thread.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Survey on splash contours vs. elevation contours Empty Re: Survey on splash contours vs. elevation contours

Post  Mr. Digby Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:19 am

Splash depictions of elevation (also known as 'hatching') is far more in-keeping and in-period than contouring, which came into widespread use in more modern times. Take a look at some contemporary ACW maps. Please go with splash/hatch.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Ezra Sidran Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:04 pm

Thanks for expressing your preferences. I am of the same opinion: concentric contours give you much more precise information (and I have seen numerous examples from the Official Atlas of the Civil War) but splash contours (or hatching or 'hachures') just look more authentic.

The voting seems pretty evenly split, too. I'm thinking of including both styles and letting the mapmaker choose (the underlying elevation information will be the same).

I would, however, like to point out that programming the 'splash contour tool' for the mapmaking utility program has been a bit of a coding nightmare that I didn't solve until Friday.

Dr Ezra Sidran

http://general-staff.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down