Kriegsspiel News Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Toggle vegetation = true not working
by popeadrian Fri Aug 30, 2024 11:43 pm

» 1862 Kriegsspiel manual by Von Tschiscwitz
by modron Thu Aug 29, 2024 8:23 pm

» SOW Scenario Generator
by popeadrian Sun Aug 25, 2024 5:39 pm

» Guide to map making?
by popeadrian Wed Aug 14, 2024 1:44 am

» SOWWL Artillery batteries
by Uncle Billy Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:15 pm

» Set Up for SOWWL NAPOLEON GAMES For Kriegspiel style
by Uncle Billy Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:35 pm

» The New SOWWL Is Now Available On Steam
by Grog Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:14 pm

» Grog can't make it
by Grog Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:39 pm

» Boxed KS set Wallington NT near Morpeth
by Martin Sat Jun 08, 2024 3:50 pm

» Help Request-Artillery Behavior
by Dutch101 Mon May 27, 2024 4:08 pm

» Grog a little late
by Grog Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:33 pm

» Impromptu Games
by Uncle Billy Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:35 pm

Statistics
We have 1589 registered users
The newest registered user is PI

Our users have posted a total of 30532 messages in 2303 subjects

I forgot my password

Question on adding OOB names to xml form

5 posters

Go down

Question on adding OOB names to xml form Empty Question on adding OOB names to xml form

Post  remus Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:42 pm

01.10.2017 21:05:38

Hi all.
This is my first post although I have been a registered member for a few years now. At the moment I am working on preparing sprites for the 1805 Campaign on the Danube, The Battle of Austerlitz, and for the Battle of Jena. I have sprites that will have the French in bicornes and Prussians at Jena in bicornes as well. I have been playing a lot of single player using the KS mod and have been able to incorporate it with a game I bought from Matrix called "Campaigns on the Danube".

This game has two periods covered, the first being the 1805 Invasion of Bavaria and the second in 1809. I have been able to play battles that occur in the computer boardgame component with the KS mod by adjusting the OOBs to match the units that come into contact with each other. Up until now I have just done this with the 1809 OOB and have been working on sprites for the 1805 uniforms so that I could apply the same process with the scenarios for 1805.

In the 1805 scenarios there is a "what if" option which allows the Russians to arrive early which leads me to my OP. I have to create a new OOB which will have the three armies involved in the conflict ie France, Austria and Russia. So far I have only worked with Gettysburg OOB and have encountered problems in the Waterloo OOB with the Xml- OOBname restrictions on the OOBs.

Is anyone able to explain in some detail the procedure necessary to resolve this problem as I have done plenty of searching and have not been able to find a saisfactory solution.

Regards

Remus

remus

Back to top Go down

Question on adding OOB names to xml form Empty Re: Question on adding OOB names to xml form

Post  Uncle Billy Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:02 pm

Yes MyGui, the gift that keeps on giving.  I wrote a small program that creates the xml file from an OOB.  You can then copy the unit/commander names and paste them into a master xml file if you wish, or you can use it as the standalone xml file.  Here is the link: XML Creator  The instructions for use are included.

I did something very similar to what you are doing awhile back.  When the battle looked interesting, I created a PvP or PvAI battle and used it in our regular games.  I then fed the results back into my campaign game.  It works very well.

Hopefully, you'll be willing to share your new sprites with us so we can incorporate them into the KS mod.  We are in need of early 19th century Austrian and Prussian sprites.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Question on adding OOB names to xml form Empty OOB to xml

Post  remus Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:53 pm

Hi Kevin

Thanks for your quick response. Good to know there is a work around. Will try this ASAP. I certainly will get the OOBs and sprites to this forum once I have them complete. I also amused myself by seeing if I was able to upgrade some of the other OOBs. I am doing it for my own use but you are welcome to any of the changes that I make. I had a look at Beauharnais' Corps and have begun some upgrades to some of the units there ie the Provisional Croatian regiments.

Many thanks
Remus

remus

Back to top Go down

Question on adding OOB names to xml form Empty Re: Question on adding OOB names to xml form

Post  Mr. Digby Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:10 pm

I have run several PBEM campaigns for the KS group with battles joined on the map being fought as SoW MP games but invariably the admin load forces me to call a halt. If you can use a retail product such as the one you describe to run the whole campaign map/admin side of things then convert their battle OOBs to WL (and back again afterwards) I would be extremely interested.

And I second Kevin's comment that 1805-1806 French, Austrians, Russians and Prussians are the biggest gap in the KS Mods sprite list and we'd very much like to make use of them. We have a few Revolutionary War French infantry sprites but none for cavalry and artillery and more appropriate 1805-6 sprites would be a big help.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Question on adding OOB names to xml form Empty OOB to XML

Post  remus Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:04 pm

Hi Saddletank

The game I referred to, " Campaigns on the Danube" is a very flexible computer boardgame which simulates quite effectively the 1805 and 1809 Campaigns of Napoleon's invasion on the Danube. It is not like "Ageod" type of campaign where the game resolves contacts and the player has no input. Indeed the manual refers to PBEM as one option but also the game can be played by miniatures which allows the player to exit the game but instead of playing miniatures the 1805 OOB, which I am working on, and the 1809 OOB which is readily available can be used to resolve any size of battle as required.

All the necessary information referencing, Supply, troop types, Command structure, terrain type that the battle is to be fought, quality and quantity of numbers are available. When a game has been resolved casualties need to be recorded and entered back into the game. One player can run the boardgame and delegate instructions to others who can play as Corps commanders with decision making moves and resolve battle as required.I have searched long to find an opportunity to play in a campaign type setting and so far this is the best I have found.

If you are keen on this type of setup have look at the Matrix site and look for the section on Aar's on "Campaigns on the Danube". It is very well explained with illustrations of the game. It is not absolutely perfect but I reckon there is enough talent and interest with members of the forum to make this an interesting adventure. There is also some information on the website that the author has in development I think it is the 1812 and 1813 period of the same game concept.

As I posted to Kevin I have many sprites completed for the periods 1805/1806 with infanry and with some cavalry started. Artillery I need to do a little research on uniforms. I also have some sprites for the revolution period which I want to use for Zeke's Revolutionary OOBs. It will take a little time to put it together but I am retired at the moment so can complete something in a couple of months.

Regards

remus

remus

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Digby Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:42 pm

Thanks Remus, I'll look into this.
Mr. Digby
Mr. Digby

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:19 pm

I agree with Remus. It's a good game and well ahead of its time. Like SOW it handles FOW and communication lags well, but with the difference that outlying forces may be days away.

There is also an excellent period-style modded map you can download.

Martin (J)

Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Los Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:48 pm

Howdy all,
I too am running into problems getting custom OOB names to show in game. I can create scenarios and edit OBs to get the names in game. But when in game the original names remain show up. I have not been able t get to the bottom of this and double check the OOBs and scenario.csv which all look in order. the game is pulling names from somewhere else.

I see in the OOB CSv there is the first column example:

Name Name 1 Name 2
French4 Marchel Joe Blow II Corps

But ingame it keeps showing marchel Ouidinot

It looks like the name or some other column ID is referencing something in a different file (OOBnames.xml?) Any ideas on how to get these names to stick? Is there another link to the tool above? Any guidance appreciated. Thanks!
Los
Los
Los

http://freedoniawar.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Uncle Billy Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:21 pm

The OOB names that the game uses are taken from OOBNames.xml. You will find the file in the Layout/Media/Language folder of the KS Nap Mod.
Uncle Billy
Uncle Billy

Back to top Go down

Post  Los Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:55 am

Thanks,
I tried adding names to the xml via notepad, its still coming out funky but will keep working the problem.
Los
Los

http://freedoniawar.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down